Blackfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingle

Mouseketeer
Wow really puts Seaworld in a bad light, but it does seem to give just one side to the story, what you guys think.

I haven't seen it but animals don't perform for the joy of it. The SeaWorld shows are like circus for water animals.

I watched the preview for this, looks fascinating. I do love watching shark week though, so animal behavior intrigues me.

Ana

I think SeaWorld is awful.

The movie doesn't seem particularly balanced, but the director claims that she went into it with an open mind and was convinced of SeaWorld's unethical and inhumane policies as she went on. Either way, SeaWorld is upset enough that they released a point-by-point refutation of the film, which in turn has been refuted by the director.

Wow really puts Seaworld in a bad light, but it does seem to give just one side to the story, what you guys think.

Putting Seaworld in a bad light is exactly what this was intended to do. You're right that it is just one side to the story. Seaworld does a lot of good in rescuing stranded animals and treating them so that they can be returned to the wild.

I haven't seen it yet so I really can't comment other than to say wasn't portraying Seaworld in a bad light the point of the movie?

Oh, my. The trailer kinda makes me sick. I'm familiar with the documentary "The Cove" and the slaughters in Japan so the video doesn't shock me, but it does make me sick.

I opened this thread because I thought it was about Game of Thrones, but after googling this movie, it looks really interesting. I would be very interested to see it

Is there some way to put captive orcas in a good light. Almost all authorities on these animals say they suffer in captivity.

While I've only seen the trailer. I do not believe that someone watching the documentary can accurately formulate their own opinion just by hearing one side of the story.

Is there some way to put captive orcas in a good light. Almost all authorities on these animals say they suffer in captivity.

I tend to agree - there was a great show on NPR in 2010 about Tillikum and the latest trainer death at Sea World:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/03/30/seaworld-whale

The Outside magazine article referenced in that NPR show can be found here:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-Killer-in-the-Pool.html?page=all

There is also a new book out which I haven't had time to read yet, but plan to: Death at SeaWorld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity by David Kirby.

I am not a biologist or animal behaviorist, but after doing research I don't personally feel comfortable paying money to a theme park that holds orcas in captivity (I understand that not everyone will agree and that it may be hypocritical of me - for example, due to their size, there are animal rights advocates that think elephants should not be in zoos and I don't boycott zoos with elephants). That is just my personal belief and how I will "vote" with my money. DH and I did the Trainer for a Day program at Discovery Cove on our honeymoon in 2007. While it was a wonderful experience and part of me would like to go to Discovery Cove again we won't be returning unless they are spun off as a separate company from SeaWorld or SeaWorld stops keeping orcas in captivity (so that probably means never again in our lifetime).

That being said, I read a review of the new documentary in the WSJ and DH and I plan to see who it comes to our local independent movie theater (release date for our area is 8/2).

Animal kingdom holds animals in captivity too. But of course nobody on this board is gonna say anything about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter