Boma - worth the price and time?

Itsnotmykitchen

Mouseketeer
i will be staying in Allstars in September without the Dining Plan and was looking for opinions as to whether Boma is worth the price and travel required to get there. I know it gets amazing reviews but I usually don't order appetizers and desserts, when dining out, and was wondering if the the $45+ would be better spent at a sit down restaurant that's a bit fancier. Thanks!

If you've never been you should definitely try it out. They have really good meats and sides and the dessert variety was very good. If you can make a reservation for the dinner opening I think it's 4:30 they have a short drum show that was pretty cool to watch.

My wife and I love Boma and we will try to eat dinner there every trip whether we are on the DP or not.

If you are an adventurous eater, then it is definitely worth the price. We have enjoyed dinner and breakfast there several tiems. They have a good mix of more typical buffet food, mixed with african inspired dishes.
If you are not into trying the unique dishes, then I would say it wouldn't be worth your while to eat there, and suggest another buffet in a park or other resort.

If you are standard meat n taters people, DON'T do it! My DH was a grouchy hungry bear when we left. _I_ love the place and have done so since it opened! However, the $40+/person has priced me out of going more than once a year, when I used to go every visit. Please note that this price point has affected my view on ALL WDW table service.

If you like that style food then your money and time is better spent a Jiko in AKL. It costs more but it's better food.

If you have not been to the AKL it is worth a trip as the theming is very well done. You will not feel like you are at Disney World. BOMA is a buffet and has an array of meat options (i.e., roast chicken, turkey, salmon, slow roasted pork ribs, pork shoulder and spice crusted sirloin beef)… but again it is a buffet...all you care to eat. So it is not cooked to order, so expect some items to be overcooked or picked over by others. I use to recall they use a special blend of African spices which provide a new experience. Personally, you are at a resort, so there becomes a point where the resorts meal cost goes too far as we already know we are paying an excessive amount as we know what food cost. You will need to determine this factor. It is a unique experience and you can go to other places and most likely get a fresher prepared meal and have potential to spend less depending upon what you select. I always say, if you can't get peace of mind now, then change it to something that makes you feel good-comfortable about the meal you reserve. If you feel like trying somewhere new, something different in a very nice and unique resort, then give it a try. We have done both BOMA and Jiko when we stayed at the AKL and would select Jiko.

Boma is definitely one of my favorite places, both for breakfast and dinner. I am not an adventurous eater so I prefer to taste little bits of the African inspired dishes rather than order one thing and be stuck with it. It's good to go there if you were already planning on being at Animal Kingdom. Even if you weren't, it's still cool to go out back and look at the animals to make the trip worth it. Two thumbs up for Boma!

Boma is one of my favorite places. I like that since it is a buffet, it has a lot more variety than Jiko.

Boma is a fav of ours too. It is a must visit for us. I love the whole visit to AKL, walking through the lobby, seeing the animals and having a delicious meal.

Boma is one of our favorite places to eat and worth the price IMO

It's our must-do every single trip. My husband and kids are pretty plain eaters and still really love eating there. Spending time walking around AKL looking around and checking out the animals before or after dinner is part of all of our trips.

This is so subjective, food is a very personal thing and whether or not it's "worth it" is only your decision. I question what food at Disney is really "worth it" with their high food costs but I digress. :confused3

We are in the majority and don't love Boma, it's okay to good food for a lot of money. If you are going to be at AK for the day and want to eat at AKL, I would suggest Jiko, much better food for a little bit more money and it's not a buffet which is a major win IMO. If you are not a big eater, buffets at disney world are a terrible use of your money. Also, depending on how busy it is, you may wait for a while just to grab your food, I'm not very patient. And, our service there was mediocre. Once our drink order was taken and we got our food, we only say our waiter at check time and that was slow too. So for us, no it's not worth it but I always say you gotta try stuff for yourself and you decide, even with disney restaurants that have bad reviews.

Two very good reasons for going to Boma. The various African centric soups and just incredible. I can almost make a meal just having bowls of soup there and the best reason for going at the desert stand they have Zebra Domes. On our recent June trip even the people in the family who didn't fall in love with the place kept commenting about those incredible zebra domes.

We ate there and I thought it was basically the same buffet as Tusker House, and about the same price, but without the characters and convenience of being in the parks. I would not eat there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter