Boorish behavior

Frankly, here is my take on it, which I know is not a popular one, but it is a vacation! Everyone needs to lighten up about the rules a smidge. I just shrugged it off and was glad I had been able to find my stuff which had been piled on top of a towel drop-off, but I wish the people who moved it could have been a bit more easygoing too.
I think that point could go both ways.

It's vacation so I'm sure people would like to sit and relax too and finding that many or all chairs have been taken by stuff, regardless of the reason (and they wouldn't know the reason just by looking at the stuff) puts a damper on that.

So the other side of it is easy going can mean you be easy going and let go of your chair in favor of someone else getting to enjoy it while you are away from it.

FWIW I wouldn't take someone's stuff from the chair.

So I was just reading through one of those Cheat Sheet "you won't believe what happens at Disney..." things. This one takes the cake!

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/...witnessed-while-working-for-the-mouse.html/7/

Disneyland: 1997. A family attacked a Pluto – pushed her into the fountain. I didn’t actually see the attack, but just got to deal with the aftermath backstage. Later Pluto told me the family was mad that she had to take her break after they had waited to get a picture. I think Pluto either broke her arm or her leg – I can’t remember. The family was arrested,” reported People.

I just shrugged it off and was glad I had been able to find my stuff which had been piled on top of a towel drop-off, but I wish the people who moved it could have been a bit more easygoing too.
I would assume people moved your stuff not because they’re hardliners for rules, but because they needed a chair to sit in and yours wasn’t occupied.

So I was just reading through one of those Cheat Sheet "you won't believe what happens at Disney..." things. This one takes the cake!

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/...witnessed-while-working-for-the-mouse.html/7/

Disneyland: 1997. A family attacked a Pluto – pushed her into the fountain. I didn’t actually see the attack, but just got to deal with the aftermath backstage. Later Pluto told me the family was mad that she had to take her break after they had waited to get a picture. I think Pluto either broke her arm or her leg – I can’t remember. The family was arrested,” reported People.

I hope those people were banned from all Disney theme parks, DCL, Aulani, Vero, Hilton Head, Adventures by Disney, and all Disney resorts. These people shouldn't even be trusted to go anywhere where there are children.

It would take a "special" kind of person to do something like that. I can't even imagine what the people who witness it would be thinking.

The worst thing for us I didn't actually see. As we've cruised a lot, our kids grew up. Eventually they got freedom to move around on their own for short periods of time to do things like midship detective, sports deck, or get an ice cream. What we didn't realize was the way adults lose their mind on kids walking from the elevator to the ice cream through the adult area. It never occurred to me until my son (about 10) relayed that an extremely brave man threatened to punch him if he ever walked through there again. Yes, a man in his 50s threatened to punch a 10 year old on a Disney Cruise. Later he pointed the guy out but my wife wouldn't let me respond.

Now, we remind them to always go up to the pool deck at midship. They are good at remembering. If they go up forward, they are to go back down. Because we don't want anyone punching kids. Of course, going down isn't without issues. Now you have kids walking down guest room corridors, which is a recipe for different problems. But, at least they aren't in an adult area for 5 seconds. I take responsibility for not realizing how outrageous it was to walk around a Disney cruise. I confirmed with DCL staff that if a kid walks to the elevator in the adult area after 9pm, they are instructed to punch them in the face (joke).

What I learn from watching people and reading threads like this is that most people take Disney cruises for themselves, not the kids. Oh, they will use the kids when they need to. Like, I should be in front of you in line because I have a kid. Or, you should leave that table in Cabanas because I need it for my kids. Or, I am saving 14 seats in the Walt Disney Theater because my husband took the kids to the club. Ultimately, the bad behavior stems from an adult acting like a child who didn't get their way.

I don't even know what to say. But I can imagine how you felt. I'm glad you didn't confront this "man", but I think I would have gone to Guest Service and ask to speak to security. No one has a right to threaten anyone. But to threaten a child for walking through the adult area is absolutely insane. The worst that that "man" can do is speak to a CM and inform them. They would be asked not to go through there anymore and that would be it.

Can you imagine this "man" in other situations? Wow....just wow.

I think that point could go both ways.

It's vacation so I'm sure people would like to sit and relax too and finding that many or all chairs have been taken by stuff, regardless of the reason (and they wouldn't know the reason just by looking at the stuff) puts a damper on that.

So the other side of it is easy going can mean you be easy going and let go of your chair in favor of someone else getting to enjoy it while you are away from it.

FWIW I wouldn't take someone's stuff from the chair.

Agreed across the board. As for not being able to take your stuff with you...in the instance I mentioned where a group took over "my" table, I can't recall why I didn't take my things with me, just that I had some reason or another that made it impractical. That was why I gathered all my things into my bag and hung it on the back of the chair: I figured if someone really wanted the table, they could either ignore the bag and sit there anyway or easily move the bag to another chair. And I was right. Tbh it did not occur to me in the moment why they looked surprised when I just gave them a pleasant hello and grabbed the bag off the chair as I went by; I suppose they expected me to be angry that they'd taken "my" seat.

And I do try to be easy-going on vacation. There were times (the hammocks!!) when I could have taken something that I sincerely think I was just as entitled to as anyone else, but refrained because regardless of whether I'd be right or wrong I'd risk starting a fight and that just didn't sound like a good time. I don't look on anyone who reserves seats as some turrible villain, but it does sometimes give me a moment of disappointment that people aren't more willing to create the kind of environment where everyone can share and help each other have a good time rather than only look out for themselves.

Just for reference for others in future bus transfers: Actually, when I booked my transfers I did say I wanted a seat for my son and offered to pay, but the cast member told me that while they do not charge for an under 3, they reserve a seat for them nonetheless. This is a safety issue as otherwise the child will be on a bus on a highway for a 90-minute drive without a secure seat belt. I'll admit it is unusual to get a freebie from Disney, but sure enough, they did have enough seats for everyone on the bus, including my 2-year old son. We also arrived 45 minutes early to have seats together. That man was the last to board, so the only seat available for him was not ideal.

That makes perfect sense and comments to the contrary, regardless of if they were stated as facts, were nothing but opinions. It would help if people remember that opinions, no matter how strongly held, are just that. As for the man who insisted on having that seat, he was a complete jerk, IMO. :tongue:

We were gone about 45 minutes so were non-compliant with the policy (I know I know, I am a horribly villain and deserve to be hung, drawn, and quartered for lounge chair thievery

I really think we are all on the same page here. No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed to leave your chairs, and no one is saying your stuff should be taken, and we certainly aren't saying you are a bad person (I know you were kidding).

But I think we also know that MOST or at least a great many of the premium chairs (or hammocks!) we see by the pool with towels or a book in them are empty for HOURS, not 45 minutes, and it is because people come out early in the morning and save one for each person, (not a single chair for a whole family). It is those people we are talking about. If action was taken to put those chairs back into service it would solve both sets of problems. No more hunting for chairs and looking sadly at the empty but reserved ones, and no more people taking your stuff if you leave for 5 minutes (or 45) because there would be plenty of empty ones.

Oh well, I'm sure this is a done topic, I just wanted to point out that both the "my stuff got taken after a few minutes" and the "I can't get a seat because they are all reserved" are actually all on the same side. All the best!

I would assume people moved your stuff not because they’re hardliners for rules, but because they needed a chair to sit in and yours wasn’t occupied.

And I needed a chair to have a dry place to store my belongings when I was the splash zone, and to sit in when I got back and the kids were back in the pool. I don't think there is a "right" answer to this. I basically boils down to a personal judgment: is it better for the people who get there first to keep their chairs, even if they have to leave and come back intermittently, or is it better for people who later during the day to be assured they can have a seat when they arrive, even if that means the early arrivers lose theirs when they need it again. I actually see both sides, since some people might have obligations that mean they can't get there to claim a chair early, and other people have obligations that mean they can't have stay in the chairs consistently.

The best system, in my view, would be for Disney to allow people to have a reserved section, where people could make free advance reservations for loungers for a set hour or block of hours. I've seen that done at resorts and works very well for people like me who like to have use of a chair when I have a free moment when the kids are entertaining themselves, but be able to leave when they need me to go with them for a bit. It would also work for people who are frustrated that they can't get a seat unless they get their early in the day, as they could reserve a later time block.

The best system, in my view, would be for Disney to allow people to have a reserved section, where people could make free advance reservations for loungers for a set hour or block of hours.

Free? DCL doesn't do anything for free

Quick question - is this chair/lounger issue a problem on Alaska cruises? I imagine it's so cold that most people aren't on the pool deck so it isn't competitive but just wondering. I think I will usually be in the pool/splash area with my boys whenever we are up there but it would be nice to have a place to sit and dry off. (We're bringing shortie wetsuits but my kids won't mind the cold air anyway if the water is heated).

The best system, in my view, would be for Disney to allow people to have a reserved section, where people could make free advance reservations for loungers for a set hour or block of hours.

Don't tell them, but I'd pay.

Quick question - is this chair/lounger issue a problem on Alaska cruises? I imagine it's so cold that most people aren't on the pool deck so it isn't competitive but just wondering. I think I will usually be in the pool/splash area with my boys whenever we are up there but it would be nice to have a place to sit and dry off. (We're bringing shortie wetsuits but my kids won't mind the cold air anyway if the water is heated).

Not sure if it was an issue, but we didn't really go swimming too often when we went to Alaska. I think my kids went the first day and then it was just too cold for them.

But I did LOVE the available blankets everywhere...I don't think I was without one for most of the time I was out there...and it wasn't even that cold (cool but not cold) until we reached Tracy Arm...We actually had great weather during that cruise...I was prepared for a lot of rain and cold and we lucked out...Twice we were told that we just missed a rain storm which came just the day before...actually we were told that the cruise the day before wasn't even able to dock....

We're going again next year, I hope our luck didn't run out....

We were on the British Isle Cruise last summer and didn't notice any issues, but again I wasn't paying attention...however, twice my husband and I couldn't find a lounge in the afternoon and just went to sit on Deck 4...

This past Christmas we were on a Western Caribbean cruise and I don't remember any issues there either but we don't really get to the pool early, nor do we stay that long...usually we found a couple of lounges in the adult section and stayed for a bit...

Did I say I love the blankets? Love them!

Don't tell them, but I'd pay.
Watch as anywhere Disney can squeeze a $ out of you on-board they eventually will. If they get wind people will pay to reserve loungers this will be another pre-booking activity sold out too soon. Just surprised they have not taken to selling PAT or pre-boarding times to those itching to get on early. Start selling the benefits others pay for in B2B or concierge bookings.

Actually I found DCL to be more inclusive in the price...We went on one RCL and one NCL cruise and I did feel we ended up paying for things that I felt should be part of the cruise...now that wasn't a lot...just things like soda/pop...

DCL is expensive and I wouldn't call anything that they include as "free", but technically it's embedded into the price...which in this case, I'm okay about...

We don't drink alcohol so we are able to get through a DCL cruise without spending anything extra other than excursions, popcorn and shopping....

The wife proceeds to throw a tirade that “for the price we paid, we expect a certain level of service from Disney” and that the DCL was “ruining” their trip.
I would like to know when good service began to equal allowing people to be above the rules. I don't know how many service complaints I have heard/read that amount to people complaining that they weren't allowed to slide on a rule, policy, procedure or even a law. It is ridiculous.

I had my personal stuff moved (coverups, sunglasses, sandals etc.) to the top of the towel storage cabinet while I was taking the kids into Nemo's reef on the Dream. We were gone about 45 minutes so were non-compliant with the policy (I know I know, I am a horribly villain and deserve to be hung, drawn, and quartered for lounge chair thievery), but I didn't want to take my things into the splash zone and have everything get soaked, and we were going right back to the pool after. I did not have the option to let my husband stay with the lounge chair because he was sick/quarantined in the room. Frankly, here is my take on it, which I know is not a popular one, but it is a vacation! Everyone needs to lighten up about the rules a smidge. I just shrugged it off and was glad I had been able to find my stuff which had been piled on top of a towel drop-off, but I wish the people who moved it could have been a bit more easygoing too.

More easy going in what way?

More easy going in what way?
Guess what, the cruisers who moved your stuff to the top of towel storage cabinet were on vacation too. They needed a place to sit while they watched their kids in the pool. The stuff you left in your unoccupied lounge seat for nearly an hour did not. Everyone on a cruise is on vacation and needs a place to sit at the pool, so be understanding and easygoing.

Guess what, the cruisers who moved your stuff to the top of towel storage cabinet were on vacation too. They needed a place to sit while they watched their kids in the pool. The stuff you left in your unoccupied lounge seat for nearly an hour did not. Everyone on a cruise is on vacation and needs a place to sit at the pool, so be understanding and easygoing.
Sorry, replied to wrong poster.

Now this brings up an interesting question. Is there another place to leave stuff?

One poster mentioned water parks. Me and mine frequent Great Wolf Lodges and leave our robes and flip flops on a lounge or chair while we are in the water park because there is nowhere else to put them and it is often in a prime spot so we can keep an eye on them.

On my previous cruises, I always occupied the spot on deck where our stuff was (pools too shallow/tiny for me to enjoy) but on Castaway Cay, I can clearly remember all of us just throwing our stuff on a lounge and, after pics were taken and camera stored away, we were in water and did not return to the lounge until we were picking up our stuff. In there another place to store it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter