Boycotting the Oscars

Contrary to popular white belief, having money does not change the issues people of color face.

That's the thing. It's OPPORTUNITY. Opportunity is not given to minority entertainers that often.

Look at the number of white superheroes. Look at the number of white Disney princesses. Look at the children's television right now. People of color are reduced to sidekicks and stereotypical roles.

And by the way, mentioning the small number of shows that are led by POC isn't helping. The lack of representation is horrendous. You cannot make excuses for it. It all goes back to the racism this country was "founded" on.

So if having means doesn't change things, if having education doesn't change things and not enough opportunities have thus far provided, what do you suggest the solution be?

History shows us that a great many ethnicities faced very difficult obstacles emigrating and assimilating into American way of life and culture. Many of them thrived by creating their own opportunities, oftentimes creating enterprises that surpassed the existing cultural norms formerly considered the top of the heap. I know many people who tell me the answer isn't in being given anything, preferring the learning experiences and strength gained in creating opportunities for oneself.

Great definition, but again, people of color don't benefit from racism as a practice. We are a minority. Look at US World History. We are still fighting for equal representation in movies. We have subcommittees in politics BECAUSE lack of representation.

It must be nice to see yourself represented everywhere and not have to worry about changing your name so people will hire you, or listen to racist remarks on the daily, or being pressured to conform to white beauty standards.

White Americans can cry racism all they want, but jokes at the expense of white people do not come close to the real systematic racism people STILL feel on the daily. I don't get why white people WANT to believe that they are oppressed.

Seriously though, just because you don't think black people can be racist doesn't make it true. Racism doesn't know colour.

Most reports are saying that Michael B Jordan and Idris Elba were good in their roles but not great. I'll give you Straight Outta Compton though.

The problem is still casting. If there were more films with more black actors and mixed casts instead of all one race then I doubt that anyone would be underrepresented and most people wouldn't fuss because one movie was left out. People of ALL ethnicities and races need to get more roles.

I agree with you. We need more roles written for ALL ethnicities.

The truth is, it isn't an even playing field. Things that happen 60 years ago STILL affect people today. For example, a lot of Native Americans have issues with going to college because of resources and the attitudes of elders, BECAUSE they weren't afforded the same opportunities as their white counterparts.

Creed, great movie, great performance by Michael B Jordan, black actor, black director, not nominated. Sky Stallone was for his role, though.

Beasts of No Nation, Idris Elba, Cary Fukanaga... No nomination.

Straight Outta Compton... Black director, black actors, music created by great black musicians... Not nominated

Denzel Washington has won 2 Oscars in films that had white co-stars. And frankly, though I really like Denzel Washington, his role in Training Day was awful.

As for Straight Outta Compton, I know nothing of the movie, but I don't know if there even is such a thing as "great hip hop".

That's the thing. It's OPPORTUNITY. Opportunity is not given to minority entertainers that often.

Look at the number of white superheroes. Look at the number of white Disney princesses. Look at the children's television right now. People of color are reduced to sidekicks and stereotypical roles.

You have to make your own opportunity, you can't tell for profit movie studios that they must change their casting regardless of the impact on the bottom line. That's not opportunity, that's charity - and it puts many other jobs at risk.

Grab a camera, get some funding and cast whoever you want. If it is marketable, it will sell.

I don't think white people face systematic racism in this country. That's all I'm saying.

This is the quote you used to define racism

"Black people can't be racist. Prejudiced, yes. But not racist. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. Black people can't be racists since we don't benefit from such a system"

This says black people can't be racists yet there are people of all colour who are racists. So if I am reading your last post correctly, you think black people can be racists but white people don't face systemic racism, is that correct?

This is the quote you used to define racism

This says black people can't be racists yet there are people of all colour who are racists. So if I am reading your last post correctly, you think black people can be racists but white people don't face systemic racism, is that correct?
Not racist towards white people. Prejudiced, but not racist.

Sounds like a definition someone bent over backwards to create just to excuse their own racism. The kind of idiotic thing certain white people would have tried 60 or 70 years ago.

I agree with you. We need more roles written for ALL ethnicities.

The truth is, it isn't an even playing field. Things that happen 60 years ago STILL affect people today. For example, a lot of Native Americans have issues with going to college because of resources and the attitudes of elders, BECAUSE they weren't afforded the same opportunities as their white counterparts.
You do realize that throughout history many groups have had to deal with pulling themselves up in society don't you? That even included white people from places such as Poland and Ireland and so on. They were the minorities and often treated horribly because they were different. I'm not saying that it's right but unfortunately seems to be very normal throughout history.

I don't agree that minorities can't be racist. Any individual can be racist. Or sexist or homophobic and so on. Many people get treated poorly for many reasons. This fuss over an awards show is very minor in the overall picture of things IMO.

In what ways have POC made life harder for white people in America? How did they systematically make it harder?

Not everything is systemic, not everything applies to an entire group. Failing to admit that a person of any colour, race or creed can be racist is ludicrous.

If you want examples of how white people are racist, read a paper.

If you want examples of how black people are racist, read a paper.

If you want examples of how any one is racist, read a paper.

You do realize that Jewish isn't a race, right?

I can answer this, I did a DNA test. The company calls it Ashkenazi and leaves off the Jewish part. The news came out that Ashkenazi DNA can be traced to 330 ancestors in medieval times. They also can trace Cohanim (priests) back over 2000 years. So, in the long run Ashkenazi and Mizrachi can be traced by DNA and by that definition can be considered a race. By the way, in addition to Ashkenazi, I have British, Irish, French, German, Sub Saharan and Native American DNA.

Not everything is systemic, not everything applies to an entire group. Failing to admit that a person of any colour, race or creed can be racist is ludicrous.

If you want examples of how white people are racist, read a paper.

If you want examples of how black people are racist, read a paper.

If you want examples of how any one is racist, read a paper.

I have witnessed much racism on the part of minorities as well as whites. To think that only whites are racist is just incredibly naïve. I live in a very diverse area where whites are not the majority. I also happen to work in the public sector in another area where diversity has been totally embraced and there are actually more minority employees than white employees. The things I have heard and seen would amaze you. I'm not talking about "reverse" racism either. Just racism/attitudes in general that is shocking.

As for Straight Outta Compton, I know nothing of the movie, but I don't know if there even is such a thing as "great hip hop".

I think this gets at an important point that is missing from this discussion. In the case of this movie I think we should be looking at age issues vs racism. Music is such an individual thing. You could not pay me to sit thru Straight Outta Compton or any other movie about that type of noise that some consider music. That is OK, I am positive that others feel the same way about the music I like. It is not racism (my favorite new artist right now is Leon Bridges, I am tempted to go to Bonnaroo this year because of him unless someone restores my sanity). You can strongly dislike something and it is not based on race just because those involved are of a different race. I think that many of the older voters in Hollywood might think the same way. Their age may influence their opinions of a "music" film that others might give more respect.

I can answer this, I did a DNA test. The company calls it Ashkenazi and leaves off the Jewish part. The news came out that Ashkenazi DNA can be traced to 330 ancestors in medieval times. They also can trace Cohanim (priests) back over 2000 years. So, in the long run Ashkenazi and Mizrachi can be traced by DNA and by that definition can be considered a race. By the way, in addition to Ashkenazi, I have British, Irish, French, German, Sub Saharan and Native American DNA.

My fiance's family is Ashkenazi on his mother's side and Sephardic on his father's and they do consider those more than just religion since even the ones who aren't religious any more still claim those backgrounds.

Wow. The fact that race related threads turn into such heated debates (and the types of comments that have been posted) here on a Disney fan message board is another reminder to me that we still have a lot of work to do in our society when it comes to the issue of race relations. By the way, I am African-American; and contrary to popular belief there are more than a couple of us here on the Disboards......

You do realize that throughout history many groups have had to deal with pulling themselves up in society don't you? That even included white people from places such as Poland and Ireland and so on. They were the minorities and often treated horribly because they were different. I'm not saying that it's right but unfortunately seems to be very normal throughout history.

I don't agree that minorities can't be racist. Any individual can be racist. Or sexist or homophobic and so on. Many people get treated poorly for many reasons. This fuss over an awards show is very minor in the overall picture of things IMO.

There is a VERY big difference between Acculturating and Assimlating.

Nobody is saying that white people do not struggle. What I'm saying is, we need to reach a fair ground and I think it's important, for the sake of race relations and making a better future, to understand that people of color face issues that white peoples in America do not face.

People jump over Jada and Spike for peacefully stating an opinion and talking about inequality they face as people of color, yet when Jennifer Lawrence belittled and taunted a man for using a translator, it seems like everyone gave her a free pass. Just saying :sad2:

We just can't win.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter