• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Brides with Visible Tattoos??

In more conservative areas of the country (mainly the south) having lots of visible tattoos on a female is thought of as innapropriate in the workplace. I know teachers with tattoos that have to cover them up.
I have never been to a wedding in the south with a bride having multiple tattoos so I can't comment personally on what people think of someone with lots of tattoos showing, back, arms, chest etc. I can only say that I personally would not think it is attractive at all.
ALso, my heavily tattood friends opinion was posted here along with the other opinions I posted just to take a little survey if you will of the people around me to see what they think of this question. ANd to show that people have different opinions and that's ok
Inkedupmomma you obviously feel very good about your tattoos and that's you personal opinion. Stop the witch hunt. The OP I'm SURE never meant for this to be a spectacle with you the star of the show. Your continuing sarcasm towards me is neither needed nor appreciated.

MainStMandy your tattoo is nice and Heather is right, if you WANTED to cover it most dresses would but its really not necessary. Its not that big and if its special to you go for it. At the beginning of this thread there were some BEAUTIFUL pictures posted of a bride with a tattoo around her arm. She looked fabulous!

Actually inkedupmomma I am on a public forum here and can answer/address anyone I want as long as I do it in a respectful manor, which I have, and you have not.
Heather is a friend of mine and I was simply making an observation of what she was saying. That is my right, as is anyone elses here. if you don't like it maybe you should join a private board.
Otherwise insinuating that I want people to 'bend over and take it' I have no idea what you are talking about but will GLADLY discuss it with you via PM as not to take this thread OT anymore per board rules.
Anymore personal attacks, smart aleck attitudes, sarcasm or otherwise towards you to me please feel free to PM me.

Otherwise I think this topic needs to be geared back towards brides/weddings/tattoos. That is what the W&HB is all about and I would like to follow the rules.

Please try and get back to being civil with each other. Everyone should be respected for their own opinion. If this doesn't turn around we will have to lock the thread.

Thank you

Who we are at our wedding will more than likely not be who we are in years to come. Your tattoo may express who you are now, but you may regret it later on in life (whether it was in your wedding pictures or not). If you look at it at that point of view, any of our decisions could be questioned. Will we still think our dress or hairdo looked good (I mean look at all the 80's brides. It was who they were at that time, but I imagine that they shudder when looking at those pictures. :rotfl: ). Your tattoo is no different. All your choices define who you are at that moment. The only thing I hope is that even if you look at your pictures 10 years from now and think you were totally crazy for doing it, but can say that is who you were and what you wanted.

Interesting thread! I have been considering my first tattoo all week, so I was excited to read more.

First, Mandy, as I said on the other thread, I LOVE your tattoo and esp. the meaning behind it.

Second, your decision has to be what you feel comfortable with. I agree w/ those who said to make sure at least a few pictures don't showcase your tattoo so that you have options later on if you decide you'd like a more traditional shot---- even if you don't cover up anything for the day.

Third, the most wonderful thing about humans is that we can grow and change and be different people each and every single day-- our mind, body and soul are always changing! Many people do things on their wedding day to mark it as a special and different day. I will personally be wearing a tiara and veil on my day, something I will probably never do again. I LOVE ponytails and my hawaiian plumeria necklace, but it's not my vision for my wedding.

A wedding day isn't everyday, and if a bride's vision of herself on that day is "retro glam" or "fairytale princess" or "enchanted goddess" or anything else, that is the vision that she should follow. If that entails tanning and extensions, cool. If that entails getting more ink, cool. If that entails henna and saris, cool. If that entails renting expensive diamonds, cool. And if that entails covering up a tattoo, cool.

You are the bride. :bride: The magic wand is in your hands. :wizard: Make your day the day of YOUR dreams. :cloud9:

IMHO judging someone is judging someone. It is something i try not to do for any reason, because I feel that does nothing but put negative energy into my body and mind. Energy I don't have or want. I mean who am I to judge anyways, right?

Well if we are doing IMHO- I think that you have TOTALLY misconstrued and contorted everyone's posts on here who don't agree with you and I don't appreciate it! And while we may only be typing what our opinions are and can't hear what people are saying through voice tone, the context in which you reply is very sarcastic and uncalled for. I think that you have probably had to defend yourself SO much in the past about your tattoos that you feel that you have to come here and once again defend that. No one here is judging you based on who you are or what you decide to do with your body. If you want a billion tattoos covering you from head to toe, who am I say that you can't do that? I'm not, so why would I even dare. You just have to realize that some people are not as passionate about tattoos as yourself, just as I'm sure you probably wouldn't share some of my same passions.

This has been an interesting read...as tattoo threads often are.

I have a few tattoos, but they are mostly hidden in my day to day life (that was my preference).

Personally, I wouldn't base a permanent decision (like the ones surrounding getting a tattoo) on the events of one day (even if it is your wedding day). That probably doesn't sound the way I intended...but it's kind of like basing a permanent life decision on how it will effect one day in your life. Put it this way, OP, if you weren't thinking you might get married in the next year or so (or if you didn't even have a boyfriend) would your original question even been a consideration? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it now.

You will have lots of options to do as you please with regard to hiding it or showing it on your wedding day. That part is up to you.

I think of tattoos much like ear piercing. Many years ago pierced ears were seen as a little taboo. More conservative women would NEVER have gotten their ears pierced (body "mutilation", etc.). But society has progressed and that particular form of body art is no longer seen as controversial. I think eventually tattoos will be thought of the same way. And of course, in some cultures, it's not an issue at all.

This has been an interesting read...as tattoo threads often are.

I have a few tattoos, but they are mostly hidden in my day to day life (that was my preference).

Personally, I wouldn't base a permanent decision (like the ones surrounding getting a tattoo) on the events of one day (even if it is your wedding day). That probably doesn't sound the way I intended...but it's kind of like basing a permanent life decision on how it will effect one day in your life. Put it this way, OP, if you weren't thinking you might get married in the next year or so (or if you didn't even have a boyfriend) would your original question even been a consideration? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it now.

You will have lots of options to do as you please with regard to hiding it or showing it on your wedding day. That part is up to you.

I think of tattoos much like ear piercing. Many years ago pierced ears were seen as a little taboo. More conservative women would NEVER have gotten their ears pierced (body "mutilation", etc.). But society has progressed and that particular form of body art is no longer seen as controversial. I think eventually tattoos will be thought of the same way. And of course, in some cultures, it's not an issue at all.

Thank you... I think that was a great post and you made a very good point!

I think most ink can be covered up if you want it to be.. aside from like face,neck and hand tattoos. I'm curious, what is the rule when it comes to teaching and tattoos? I have several heavily tattooed friends who are teachers and college professors. They all are scattered about the us. Im wondering if it is just a no in some regions??

I know at my school it is a HECK no, and at all the schools in the county they have to be covered up. I am glad they have this rule. I live in the south and have never been to a wedding where brides had visable tatoos, never had teachers with visable tattoos. I dont have any, and will never get one, but I don't care if other people have them, unles like I stated before, you are in a certain professional environment where I feel they should not show.

as I told the OP, the type of dress I had with kind of V'ed thick sleeves would cover that tattoo if she so wanted to. there are so many styles of dresses out there she need not fret if she does indeed want to cover it.

Well, I have to chime in here as I have a tattoo (got it ten years ago) and I think I'm a little older than most of you! :) Here's what it looks like
PICT0001-2-1.jpg

Its at the top of my right arm. Its easily covered and most people don't know I have it. But I love it as much as I did when I got it and I don't regret it at all.

My DH and I are having a 25th anniversary VR at WDW next year and my tattoo will be visible, I'll be showing it off with pride! I was an 80's bride originally and yes, I do look at my (very few) pics now and wonder what I was thinking when I chose my wedding attire :rotfl2: but I don't think I'll think the same thing when I look at pics of my VR!!

I have pretty visible tattoos in most clothing (chest and upper arms) and I don't plan to cover them up in any way when I get married, they're a part of me :) I have no problem with other people doing this though, each to their own! I do, however, think that maybe someone doesn't want a tattoo 100% if they're putting off getting one purely because of one day, JMHO. I cover mine up for my job which I have no problem doing, but I don't class my job the same as my wedding day!
As far as coverup tips i've heard Max Factor Pan Stick (similar to Dermablend) is a good tattoo coverup as long as it's applied liberally and you use powder to set it.

This is a very interesting thread and I do hope people can try to remain to respect each others opinions. None of the people I plan to have in my wedding party have any visible tattoos and I have none (although by the time the day arrives I may have a few small ones that will probably be hidden). My point is the same thing can be said for piercings. I have quite a few in my ears and I consider them a part of me. My best girlfriend (who will most likely be my maid of honor) also has many in her ears. No one at the moment has any facial piercings. That being said I don't think I will make any members of my part remove their piercings. My only request...as I have already voiced it to said friend, is that the jewelry be plain silver and fitted properly. Piercings are beautiful...but when the jewelry is too big or in some cases has cheap colored balls or plastic they can end up looking bad. Colors are fun for every day but for a wedding it's best to just say silver. We had a friend who has snakebites (two piercings in the lip) that did not fit snug against his lip (there were rather large gaps between his lip and the ring; the rings stuck out pretty far from his lip). Point being is it made the piercings look cheap. Just my two sense.

2006 DISBride here :flower3: I didn't even try to hide my tattoos! I'd have been sleeved if it were in the budget. :lovestruc But, then again, tattoos are my 'thing' :)

1185.jpg

1316.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

(Pics by Misty Miotto)

One of mine bridesmaid's had a tattoo on her back. You know personally I never noticed it really except maybe once. I am not sure if she used the coverup or not. She asked me if it bothered me and it didn't. I will ask her when I see her on Wednesday.

I've got two tattoos. One on the back of my neck, the other on my hip. Hopefully only one will be visible on our wedding day!

Everyone's ink looks great - to the OP - Love the new one.

As a teacher, I can say that tattoos are a DEFINITE NO in my county. You are not, as an employee of my county school system, to have ANY visible tattoos. It is in the dress code of the contact we sign at the beginning of the year.

In fact, the gym teacher at my school got one on the back of his nec lst December, and he was let go. It is not tolerated here, and I am not in the south.

Same here, I'm a teacher who is not in the south and you pretty much would never be hired in my district if you had a visible tattoo.

I'm a nurse here in England and visible tattoos are frowned upon pretty heavily. I abide by that... they have a uniform policy for a reason... so we all look the same! Whilst tattoos are fine in my social circle, for whatever reason, they are not everyones cup of tea which is fine by me... Those are the rules, and if I want to keep my job, then those are the rules I (happily) stick to! I would love a full sleeve, but I love my job more!! :goodvibes

i know Disney even has a strict policy about tatoos

so far Ive been lucky about mine, ive never been told to cover it up, but i do worry that some day i will

obviously there is a difference of opinion about tatoos & when you defend it to the death , your actually "not" getting your point across, but infact coming across defensive & narrow minded...people are entitled to an opinion even if we all dont agree with it

If you have a tatoo & you "want" to show it on your wedding day...DO IT
If you want to cover it...DO IT!!
It is NO one elses decision but your own, no matter WHAT anyone else says
but the bottom line is....you all should enjoy EVERY second of your wedding day & be the most beautiful person you can be, inside & out

If you have a tatoo & you "want" to show it on your wedding day...DO IT
If you want to cover it...DO IT!!
It is NO one elses decision but your own, no matter WHAT anyone else says
but the bottom line is....you all should enjoy EVERY second of your wedding day & be the most beautiful person you can be, inside & out

Amen Sista!!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter