• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Brides with Visible Tattoos??

If you have a tatoo & you "want" to show it on your wedding day...DO IT
If you want to cover it...DO IT!!
It is NO one elses decision but your own, no matter WHAT anyone else says
but the bottom line is....you all should enjoy EVERY second of your wedding day & be the most beautiful person you can be, inside & out

EXACTLY!! :banana: It's YOUR day, so do what YOU want!

i know Disney even has a strict policy about tatoos

Yes, Disney does. Working at Disney was one of the strictest dress codes I've ever had to abide by. My recruiter said when talking about the dress code, "Can you have tattos? Yes. Can they be visible? No. So if you want to have a sleeve, go right ahead... but in August, you'll be working outside with long sleeves"

I saw an episode of Miami Ink where a girl was getting tattooed FOR THE WEDDING. It was a huge piece on her back.

I am planning on getting another one, but I'm going to wait until after the wedding. I don't think a tattoo will look nice in a wedding dress. I just don't. I don't like to see brides in a beautiful white dress and then have a skull with an arrow going thru the eye on their arm (this is just my opinion and that's just an example. I am by no means commenting on anyones tattoos here....) IMHO if it doesn't enhance your dress, you probably shouldn't be showing one on the wedding day. (Now, if you were getting Cindy's glass coach... that would be totally appropriate :lmao: )

Again, it's just my opinon, just my choice. OP, you should do whatever YOU want to do. You are the one that will look at these pictures for the rest of your life. None of us have to live with them.

i know Disney even has a strict policy about tatoos.

Yes, Disney does. Working at Disney was one of the strictest dress codes I've ever had to abide by. My recruiter said when talking about the dress code, "Can you have tattos? Yes. Can they be visible? No. So if you want to have a sleeve, go right ahead... but in August, you'll be working outside with long sleeves"

I remember being pretty freaked out when I interviewed with Disney for my CP. When we got to the tatoo question, I let them know that I had one, but that as long as I was in a role where the costume would cover it, it shouldn't be a problem. And it wasn't (sorta). When I worked Main Street Ops. at MK, the white short sleeve shirt came down far enough to cover the tatoo, but it was so sheer that you could see it through the fabric! :laughing: BUT I was in dress code, in the costume they gave me, so I was good. :cool1:

I've worked in many positions where my coworkers never even knew I had a tatoo because I followed dress code. I was in management with starbucks for the longest where the official policy was no visible tatoos and I had partners who never even knew I had one. I would come in on a day off and they would be so shocked! :eek: :laughing:

I saw an episode of Miami Ink where a girl was getting tattooed FOR THE WEDDING. It was a huge piece on her back.

I am planning on getting another one, but I'm going to wait until after the wedding. I don't think a tattoo will look nice in a wedding dress. I just don't. I don't like to see brides in a beautiful white dress and then have a skull with an arrow going thru the eye on their arm (this is just my opinion and that's just an example. I am by no means commenting on anyones tattoos here....) IMHO if it doesn't enhance your dress, you probably shouldn't be showing one on the wedding day. (Now, if you were getting Cindy's glass coach... that would be totally appropriate :lmao: )

I would so have finished a sleeve before the wedding, but we didn't want to wait to get married to finish my arm!

Mine are all flowers and butterflies, (except for my flames) so I totally think the went with the occasion!

I got married 14 years ago. My husband & I gave each other tattoos as wedding presents 4 months before the ceremony (nothing says "forever" quite like ink :lmao: ). Mine is on my left shoulder blade, a rather large black ink rendering of Raphael's St Michael. The artist did an incredible job and I love it. I chose to put in on my shoulder blade not to hide it, but because I didn't want it anywhere that would sag when I got older.

When we got married I wore my mother's wedding gown from the 40's. The gown is heavy satin, long sleeved and high backed and the tattoo was completely covered. Ever since I was little I had wanted to wear this gown if I ever got married. Had the dress not covered the tattoo I would have found a way to cover it out of respect for my mother because she HATES tattoos...absolutely loathes them. Tattoos and motorcycles and here I am with both, yet she still loves me. I never thought of it as compromising who I was. It would have upset her more than it would have pleased me to show it.

14 years later & no regrets. Over the tattoo or the gown. Or even the husband :rotfl: .

When I got my most recent tat on my foot, my mom saw it and said "what about if you get married?" The tat is a memorial for my brother, so I just said, "Then good, I want everyone to see it -- it will be like he's walking down the aisle with me!" I purposefully put it in a place people see so when they say "what's that" I can tell them all about him. Seems kind of lame I guess, but it keeps him and his memory in my life forever!

You know, this is beautiful? It IS a memorial and it is meant to be seen. I am so sorry for your horrible loss but you have found a way to keep your brother with you, always in your thoughts.

It's funny that I never thought of it this way. I went on to get another large, black ink piece on my other shoulderblade (Icarus falling) since I'm all about symmetry but after my first rottie, Smidgen died I wanted to get a tattoo for her, a tumbling band of rotties around my ankle. Something that would always be visible & that I could always look at & think of her. I never made the connection to it being a memorial piece ( plus, you know, my ankle probably won't sag when I get older :rotfl: ).

I'm not going to argue with you on this however, if you think my attitude towards tattoos equates to judging someone based on their race, religion or sexual preference, you obviously don't understand what I am saying.

Look around at company dress codes.. let's see, I'm not allowed to wear excessively short skirts, flip flops, t-shirts, denim, frayed or dirty clothes. I have to wear a bra. I can be made to go home and put on a slip if my skirt is see through.

Now, right now, at home, I am wearing a tshirt, denim capris and crocs. That is what I prefer to wear. If I were allowed, I would wear it to work daily. So, I make a choice to work some where that I have to comform to my employer's desires in order for me to get ahead and be successful.

As person cannot choose what race or sexual preference to be, but they can choose whether or not they want to tattoo their body. If you don't make it ahead in the world because you chose to tattoo your body, that's on you. No one has to conform their attitudes about a CHOICE you are making in order to ensure that you get ahead in the world.

You implying that my feelings about excessive tattoos is the same as other's discriminating against someone because of race, sexual preference or religion is insulting and not appreciated regardless if you said it with or without snarkiness. The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I think many people on this board are forgetting that this is a public message board, you are going to get people that agree with your opinions and people that don't. Just because someone does not agree with your opinions or ideas, it does not mean that you need to beat a dead horse to show them how wrong they are.

:thumbsup2 I 100% agree with you.

Well if we are doing IMHO- I think that you have TOTALLY misconstrued and contorted everyone's posts on here who don't agree with you and I don't appreciate it! And while we may only be typing what our opinions are and can't hear what people are saying through voice tone, the context in which you reply is very sarcastic and uncalled for. I think that you have probably had to defend yourself SO much in the past about your tattoos that you feel that you have to come here and once again defend that. No one here is judging you based on who you are or what you decide to do with your body. If you want a billion tattoos covering you from head to toe, who am I say that you can't do that? I'm not, so why would I even dare. You just have to realize that some people are not as passionate about tattoos as yourself, just as I'm sure you probably wouldn't share some of my same passions.

I'm kind of curious as to what she does for a living since she's so against conformity and thinks it's ridiculous. I know there are places you can work with visible tattoes but I know for the most part you cannot work in most corporate offices, health care or education with that showing.

I personally don't like it for myself but at the same time I don't care if somebody else has one. I think that if you wanted a tattoo in the first place that you should be proud to show it at your wedding - it's a part of who you are and it's part of your self-expression. :goodvibes

I think this happens a lot with people who get tattooed young and think oh i love this band.. or oh i love this, then 10 years later they hate what they got. That's always a bad thing ;/

That is why I've waited so long to start. I'm 28 and I'll be getting my first tattoo in September or October of this year (waiting for summer to be over since I'm outside so much and don't want it exposed a lot right after getting it, on the advice of the tattoo artist). I remember going on my senior outing in high school and soooo many people had tattoos. Lots of girls had the cute ring around the bellybutton tattoos. Very cute at 17-18, but I'd be curious to see what some of those look like after gaining weight, having babies, etc..... plus just the fact that what appeals in high school is not necessarily what appeals to you as an adult.

As for covering tattoos in a wedding dress, I guess it would depend how they looked in the dress. I wouldn't want to wear a wedding dress that cut my tattoo in half and made it look weird, but then again I wouldn't want to give up my dream dress just because it made weird lines with my tattoo. Covering it would make sense in that case.

As for covering tattoos in a wedding dress, I guess it would depend how they looked in the dress. I wouldn't want to wear a wedding dress that cut my tattoo in half and made it look weird, but then again I wouldn't want to give up my dream dress just because it made weird lines with my tattoo. Covering it would make sense in that case.

I guess that's more of what I was thinking about when I started this thread...I didn't communicate that very well. I am just worried about aesthetically it will look...not so much hiding the actual tattoo.

I guess that's more of what I was thinking about when I started this thread...I didn't communicate that very well. I am just worried about aesthetically it will look...not so much hiding the actual tattoo.

I think I would just pick the dress I liked the best. If that means covering part of one or more tattoo(s) so it doesn't look weird, so be it. If you decide you really want the tattoo to show, then you'll realize that when you're trying dresses on and pick one that shows it with no problems. It may just be one of those things that you don't realize exactly how you feel about it til it comes down to trying on dresses and seeing how things look.

I never realized they made makeup thick enough to cover tattoos, that is interesting to know.

I think most ink can be covered up if you want it to be.. aside from like face,neck and hand tattoos. I'm curious, what is the rule when it comes to teaching and tattoos? I have several heavily tattooed friends who are teachers and college professors. They all are scattered about the us. Im wondering if it is just a no in some regions??

I, apparently, teach in a pretty liberal place (but I knew that already!!). We have a few teachers on staff with visible tattoos (myself included - I have the Chinese character for "teacher" on the back of my neck, and the word "Beloved" on the upper part of my back, which shows when I wear certain summery shirts). It's not a problem at all. We've got teachers with tattoos on their wrists. Our assistant principal has a nose ring. One of our guidance counselors does, too - and is always dying her spikey hair some crazy shade of red! :rotfl: We're quite the bunch up here - but, we're in Maine, the winters get long, there's not much else to do! :lmao:

This cracked me up!!!!! :lmao: :rotfl: I went to school in Maine and i know just what you mean...

:rotfl: Then you know my pain! And I work in Bar Harbor, which means EVERYTHING shuts down in the winter - except, of course, the tattoo/piercing place! (I'm NOT kidding!!) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: Then you know my pain! And I work in Bar Harbor, which means EVERYTHING shuts down in the winter - except, of course, the tattoo/piercing place! (I'm NOT kidding!!) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh, I believe it! I know Bar Harbor well and I know how dead it is in the winter... very similar to Port CLyde, except we're on a much smaller scale than where you are... The onlt people are the locals and then in the summer it blossoms with tourists and artists and people wanting to go to Monhegan!

reading the posts in this thread makes me think that tattoos are better in saying "forever" than rings. :cool1: it was certainly a cool and novel idea to get tattoos as wedding presents to each other.

Right now I have two tattoos and would like to get more. One is one the small of my back and the other is on my right shoulder blade, so both can be covered up easily if necessary. Both of my tattoos mean something to me, however the one on my shoulder has extra signifigance to me since it is a memorial to my grandmother who passed away 11 years ago. My dress is strapless so obviously the one on my back will be covered up but not the one on my shoulder. When I was picking my dress my mom even said something about that one being seen, but I told her I wasn't worried about it because of what it represents. This way in a way my grandmother will get to be with me on my wedding day. I'm with the others who feel that if you are okay with it then in the end it's your day and you should do what feels right for you.

I have 3 tattoos, all of which I love!!

They are all in places that I can easily cover though (back, hip, inner ankle) and most people dont know I have tattoos until I show them (which is frequently)

I absolutely love the art of tattooing, and think Kat Von D is awesome! I do think its a shame when people aren't allowed certain careers etc because of being tattooed but all tattooed people know this is the case before they go under the needle.

I will definitely be getting more tattoo's in my lifetime, but have saind since my first one (at 15) that I won't be doing shoulders or arms as I don't want any that are going to show at fancy dinners or my wedding. (Although I keep getting tempted with something small and dainty on my wrist, which would be more jewellery than a tattoo.)

Every tattoo I have I think about my future with them, and worst case scenario will be if I still wear small bikinis when I'm older, they might be a bit streched from pregnany etc.

Jack and I do want to get wedding tattoos though, I'm thinking minnie and mickey heads, but like two rings interlocked.

You will be able to see two of mine one on my wrist and the other on my shoulder blade. They make me who I am so they will be shown. I'm sure my DFMIL will have a prob though, oh well, tough cookies for her.:confused3

I have two tattoos.. one on my foot which you won't really be able to see... The other one is on my right shoulder blade... which you will soo be able to see! I remember my mom saying 2 years ago... "That is going to show when you get married. ew" Gotta love it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter