Brits visiting Canada detained after accidentally driving into USA

A jogger was detained for a week last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...nd-was-detained-for-two-weeks/?outputType=amp
In that case it took 5 days for Canada to say they would consider allowing reentry and then another 6 days before she was presented to the Canadian officials.

Red tape.
So Canada follows rules and regulations just like USA? That is good to know.

According to many, USA is rotten because they don't just allow people to enter with no questions asked. How dare USA doesn't have open borders for all to come and go as they please. What a terrible place, that USA.

Pretty neat how Canada is just as "bad" as USA. What, with their red tape. And their rules and laws.

Why didn't they automatically allow the jogger back? Why was there red tape? Canada should just allow people to come in as they please.

Why didn't they allow these "poor" British people back into Canada? After all, they had children with them. Children! How dare Canada not automatically allow people into their country with CHILDREN!

And now a baby was stripped of his clothes and is being forced to sleep on a concrete floor. No beds. No blankets. And noodle soup is being served from styrofoam. How awful!

Oh Canada. How could you allow this? Please just let these people come back to Vancouver. No questions asked. I always thought it was the Canadian Way.

According to many, USA is rotten because they don't just allow people to enter with no questions asked. How dare USA doesn't have open borders for all to come and go as they please. What a terrible place, that USA.

Pretty neat how Canada is just as "bad" as USA. What, with their red tape. And their rules and laws.

Why didn't they automatically allow the jogger back? Why was there red tape? Canada should just allow people to come in as they please.

Why didn't they allow these "poor" British people back into Canada? After all, they had children with them. Children! How dare Canada not automatically allow people into their country with CHILDREN!

And now a baby was stripped of his clothes and is being forced to sleep on a concrete floor. No beds. No blankets. And noodle soup is being served from styrofoam. How awful!

Oh Canada. How could you allow this? Please just let these people come back to Vancouver. No questions asked. I always thought it was the Canadian Way.
I do wonder though, why they were denied re-entry into Canada. :scratchin If they had appropriate documentation (which they must have had to originally arrive by air) there would be no real reason to refuse to let them back in. None at all. Anyone arriving at a port of entry and meeting the criteria for entry is allowed to enter. It’s not my understanding that people attempting to legally enter are arbitrarily denied without cause.

And although I acknowledge this particular story has unfolded differently than the first post implied it would, that doesn’t mean immigration/border security in both Canada and the US is above reproach. No matter where one stands on the issue, the systems are pretty messed up. Thousands annually flee “whatever” it is they’re afraid of down there by walking across our border, similar in style, if not scope, to what’s happening in the southern US. We not only allow them in, we give them refugee status - something that’s a violation of international treaty according to the Safe Third Country Agreement. They are officially referred to as “irregular migrants” rather than illegal immigrants and practically received with a ticker-tape parade. It’s insane.

Last edited:

Dang, that sarcasm just dripped all over me.

IF the story is true, you don’t think it might be traumatic to be in a jail cell trying to care for your 3 mos old baby terrified someone would take him from you? As a mother, I can definitely understand that being traumatic.
I see this as traumatic. Filth would also be terrible.

I don't see space blankets and cup of noodle soup as traumatic (my lunch yesterday). That sounds like camping, not what I would choose to do with a 3 month old, but I would not fly across the Atlantic and then drive into another country with my 3 month old for a vacation, either.

I imagine every parent that commits a crime is traumatized by what will become of their child. It's why parents should try their very best not to break the law. You don't get exempt just because you have children.

Again, this woman is very lucky she was able to keep her child. Most Americans that are incarcerated do not have that option.

There is so much more to this story, I am sure. It sure has me curious!
Pp mocked the ppl being traumatized. My point was IF the story is true on face value, I think any mother would find the experience traumatic.

I see this as traumatic. Filth would also be terrible.

I don't see space blankets and cup of noodle soup as traumatic (my lunch yesterday). That sounds like camping, not what I would choose to do with a 3 month old, but I would not fly across the Atlantic and then drive into another country with my 3 month old for a vacation, either.
And then she complained that the baby didn't have certain immunizations and she was so worried he would get sick. Well, why would you fly a 12 week old baby to another country without feeling confident about proper immunizations?

Also, I don't believe for one minute that these people have been sleeping on concrete. But let's pretend for a minute they were. Wouldn't you place an infant on your chest to sleep? Why would you place an infant on a (fake) concrete bed?

And then she complained that the baby didn't have certain immunizations and she was so worried he would get sick. Well, why would you fly a 12 week old baby to another country without feeling confident about proper immunizations?

Also, I don't believe for one minute that these people have been sleeping on concrete. But let's pretend for a minute they were. Wouldn't you place an infant on your chest to sleep? Why would you place an infant on a (fake) concrete bed?
Pp mocked the ppl being traumatized. My point was IF the story is true on face value, I think any mother would find the experience traumatic.

It all sounds really weird. I think people were mocking because the mother was including things that don't sound like the US officials did anything "wrong" : Red Roof Inn, someone doing their laundry, "metal blankets" (my guess is space blankets-which aren't cozy but do the job), cup of noodle soup (not great but certainly fit for consumption once or twice), baby looked rashy (but not including an actual medical problem for any of them?)
I mean a semi-unvaccinated 3 month old living in frigid filth for a week is now medically fine? (Has it even been actually frigid in Pennsylvania -temps look above freezing to me)
Something doesn't add up

Last edited:
Another thing that I find very odd is the public Facebook friend list of these people.

Many of their friends and family members also have very open and active Facebooks. These people appear to be going on with their normal, daily lives. Jokes. Memes. Dinner pics. Fun times.

Not one single person posting worries about them. No ribbons. No "Free The Connors". Nobody squeaking about injustice. Not even a mention of the baby or the twins that were "kidnapped/abducted" (using Eileen Connors' words).

Just seems strange to me.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50067575
Much more reliable source reporting that two of the adults had previously been denied entry into the US. AND they were videotaped driving slowly through a ditch to cross the border.
I am not being sarcastic here. Is the Washington Post not considered reliable?

I know someone mentioned that SkyNews was the only one reporting this side of the story. But that was a false statement. My link yesterday was from the Washington Post, not SkyNews.

And, believe me, I am not crazy about Wapo. Just curious if it is widely known as an unreliable source.

I am not being sarcastic here. Is the Washington Post not considered reliable?

I know someone mentioned that SkyNews was the only one reporting this side of the story. But that was a false statement. My link yesterday was from the Washington Post, not SkyNews.

And, believe me, I am not crazy about Wapo. Just curious if it is widely known as an unreliable source.

Ah yeah I was referring to the original post from the Sun.

I'm smelling a fishy story. Accidentally strayed across a boarder through a ditch and continued traveling on the opposite side of the road in another country. Even if it was a deer all you have to do is honk and it will move. Doubt there is moose right there, but who knows, we had them up and down the WA/ID boarder and that's agricultural land.

Two of the adults had previously been denied Visa's. This is a plausible reason to sneak in. They carried $16000 in cash on them. Who carries that much cash on them? These days it's all about cards. Cash is easy to lose and be stolen. People who carry that much cash are looking to go undetected. Besides, why not use credit cards, the pound is stronger than the dollar right now.

I like the excuses. Maybe tonight I'll try them out myself. "Honey, I was on the way home from work so I could cut the grass. Suddenly a bird flew in front of my car, causing me to swerve. I unintentionally ended up at Solid Gold Gentleman's Lounge where I've been for the past several hours. Fortunately I had $750 in small denominations. I'm a victim. Somebody should do something about this!" Wish me luck!!

I'm not being snarky, not trying to be mean, just posting what popped out at me, and because the story is suspicious to begin with... she looks like a man to me. That's all.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50067575
Much more reliable source reporting that two of the adults had previously been denied entry into the US. AND they were videotaped driving slowly through a ditch to cross the border.

That article says they were driving WEST. So they would have had to swerve left, cross the eastbound lane of Zero Avenue and negotiate the ditch in order to "accidentally" get into the US. There is no way the driver would not notice the ditch.

By itself the $16000 in cash is no big deal. Each adult in the car could carry up to $9999 before having to be declared. Unusual to carry large amounts of cash, but not illegal. But combined with the abnormal way they entered the US it does raise suspicion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter