Brits visiting Canada detained after accidentally driving into USA

I guess they know how undocumented Mexican families feel, except at least they were able to stay with the children. It is all horrifying.

But it's a punch in the gut to think of a mother contemplating whether she's taking her infant's life in her hands in a dirty, unsuitable and inhospitable environment where they may be exposed to life threatening illnesses they have no immunity to by following her instincts and keeping her baby with her, or making the horrific choice to allow her child to be taken into foster care in the hopes of better environment, better resources to feed and care for an infant and avoiding exposure to communicable diseases.

It's painful just thinking about it.

But it's a punch in the gut to think of a mother contemplating whether she's taking her infant's life in her hands in a dirty, unsuitable and inhospitable environment where they may be exposed to life threatening illnesses they have no immunity to by following her instincts and keeping her baby with her, or making the horrific choice to allow her child to be taken into foster care in the hopes of better environment, better resources to feed and care for an infant and avoiding exposure to communicable diseases.

It's painful just thinking about it.
It is, I feel for all families in these situations, apparently the children removed from their parents aren’t getting great care.

I think there is more to this story.

I am now reading reports that two of the adults were previously denied authorization to enter the United States. And that attempts were made to return the individuals to Canada, however, Canada refused to allow their return.

So, something is weird about the story. The mother seems very dramatic about her husband being served noodle soup. Why would you even mention that if your baby is being treated inhumanely by ICE?

I will wait for the rest of the story.

I am now reading reports that two of the adults were previously denied authorization to enter the United States. And that attempts were made to return the individuals to Canada, however, Canada refused to allow their return.

So, something is weird about the story. The mother seems very dramatic about her husband being served noodle soup. Why would you even mention that if your baby is being treated inhumanely by ICE?

In the article the woman states "there was a change of plans". Something tells me that had to do with the bolded.
The words of Hannibal Lecter- "the elaborations of a bad liar" come to mind when I read the article.
One side of a story does not a whole story make.

It is, I feel for all families in these situations, apparently the children removed from their parents aren’t getting great care.
They aren't getting care, period and those in charge don't even know where some of those children are living. I have my suspicions about where some of them ended up. It is appalling, disgusting and inhumane and everyone involved should be ashamed of their lack of humanity.

Credible source, please.

I wonder why Canada would not allow them back in?

They also had $16,000 in cash, according to the linked story from The Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immi...84cc68-ef7f-11e9-b648-76bcf86eb67e_story.html

"CBP officials disputed the family’s version of events and said the Connors were spotted via video surveillance “slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch onto Boundary Road in Lynden, Washington,” between parallel roadways on the U.S. and Canadian sides. The roads are not connected by cross streets, and the only legal way to traverse between the countries is through staffed border stations throughout the region.

Cambria could not immediately be reached Tuesday for comment.

The CBP statement said U.S. agents also determined that two of the family members had applied for travel authorization to visit the United States and were denied. A senior CBP official said the Connors applied for visa waivers last year, and it was not immediately clear why they were rejected.

Such waivers are available to British passport holders and other foreign nationals from countries for which the United States has less-restrictive visa requirements.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the case, said the family — four adults and three small children — had $16,000 in cash at the time of their arrest.

“Attempts were made to return the individuals to Canada, however, Canada refused to allow their return and two attempts to contact the United Kingdom consulate were unsuccessful,” the CBP statement read.

The CBP official said it was not clear why Canada refused to let the family back into the country.

At that point, the official said, “by law and procedure we have to turn them over to ICE,” or U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Eileen Connors, 24, filed a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security inspector general Friday, alleging that her family, including her 3-month-old son, has spent more than a week living in “frigid” and “filthy” conditions at the Berks Family Residential Center in Leesport, Pa.

“We will never forget, we will be traumatized for the rest of our lives by what the United States government has done to us,” Connors wrote in a sworn statement. “We have been treated like criminals here, stripped of our rights, and lied to,” she wrote, calling the ordeal “undoubtedly the worst experience we have ever lived through.” "

Last edited:
I don't blame anyone that believes the worst about America and immigration. We deserve it right now.
And it seems no one is even disputing the squalid conditions of the facilities or how they were treated. The discrepancy only seems to be on why they were there and detained. So the deplorable conditions are unacceptable even if the detainment turns out to be legitimate. It seems some ppl can defend most anything

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter