• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Brits visiting Canada detained after accidentally driving into USA

I do wonder though, why they were denied re-entry into Canada. :scratchin If they had appropriate documentation (which they must have had to originally arrive by air) there would be no real reason to refuse to let them back in. None at all. Anyone arriving at a port of entry and meeting the criteria for entry is allowed to enter. It’s not my understanding that people attempting to legally enter are arbitrarily denied without cause.

I'm guessing that after being informed the two men were previously denied entry into the US, Canadian officials didn't want to get involved in the mess. They're not Canadian citizens, let the British Embassy deal with it.

I'm not being snarky, not trying to be mean, just posting what popped out at me, and because the story is suspicious to begin with... she looks like a man to me. That's all.
I think it is because of the harsh, ill-applied makeup.

Eileen and David Connors have multiple social media accounts. All public. In each and every one of these accounts, they (and their friends) appear to be pulled directly from the cast of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

The hair. The makeup (also applied to children). The clothes. The crass and vulgar way they post. It's all so intriguing.

Last edited:
I do wonder though, why they were denied re-entry into Canada. :scratchin If they had appropriate documentation (which they must have had to originally arrive by air) there would be no real reason to refuse to let them back in. None at all. Anyone arriving at a port of entry and meeting the criteria for entry is allowed to enter. It’s not my understanding that people attempting to legally enter are arbitrarily denied without cause.

If it was known to them that they entered the US deliberately and illegally would that be reason to deny them?
In this instance they were no longer tourists crossing into Canada with the proper documentation. After they crossed the US border illegally they became actual criminals. Wouldn't that be a reason for Canada?

I just have to comment, my dd traveled to Canada with a few friends back in the spring and she said it was so pleasant at the Canadian check point, the officers were extremely nice. My dd had to throw out some contraband in order to enter and the officer was very helpful in letting her know where she could replace it once in Canada. She didn't bother since she'd have to throw it out again going back into the US but she thought it was sweet that he tried to help her, even explaining he understood why she had it and he was sorry she had to get rid of it.
When crossing back into the US, she said it was a much different experience and it was like they were assumed to be criminals not just a group of girls returning home.

If it was known to them that they entered the US deliberately and illegally would that be reason to deny them?
In this instance they were no longer tourists crossing into Canada with the proper documentation. After they crossed the US border illegally they became actual criminals. Wouldn't that be a reason for Canada?

I just have to comment, my dd traveled to Canada with a few friends back in the spring and she said it was so pleasant at the Canadian check point, the officers were extremely nice. My dd had to throw out some contraband in order to enter and the officer was very helpful in letting her know where she could replace it once in Canada. She didn't bother since she'd have to throw it out again going back into the US but she thought it was sweet that he tried to help her.
When crossing back into the US, she said it was a much different experience and it was like they were assumed to be criminals not just a group of girls returning home.

Another unrelated anecdote - I traveled to Canada last week and had a very pleasant experience with both Canadian and American officials.

I am a firm believer that we have a problem in this country on how we deal with immigrants.

However, this particular story? Nope, this smells so much I can smell it all the way down here in FL. The are clearly trying to get public sympathy but it appears to me at least that the facts just aren't going to support their stories in the least.

I wasn't trying to make the point that the US was bad, just that Canada was very friendly and on top of having no problem entering the country my dd actually felt welcomed there, even with trying to bring in something "illegal" (It was a pepper spray keychain).
I thought it was fitting in a post about Canada denying re-entry to that couple, that there must be a reason they did not.

I wonder how they get their money? Were any of them working in Canada? They have been in North America for 2 months now. They do not appear to people of wealth.

They left England for Canada when the baby turned 4 weeks (July 23rd). Her Instagram has a picture of the baby at the airport stating it is his 1 month birthday the day before. They are putting this infant down slides and have him on a very loud "ghost" ride with no ear protection.

There is also a video of them in what I am assuming is Canada speeding over 100mph. Posted October 1st. She actually zooms in on the speedometer, as if to brag that they are speeding. Music blasting. Child whining from backseat. It is all so bizarre.

I am a firm believer that we have a problem in this country on how we deal with immigrants.

However, this particular story? Nope, this smells so much I can smell it all the way down here in FL. The are clearly trying to get public sympathy but it appears to me at least that the facts just aren't going to support their stories in the least.
Immigrants are treated very well. Illegal Aliens is another thing. They broke the law by invading the country they snuck into, or tried and got caught. I imagine the conditions they are held in are much better than what they left, and better than many other countries they would be caught entering, including Mexico.

Immigrants are treated very well. Illegal Aliens is another thing. They broke the law by invading the country they snuck into, or tried and got caught. I imagine the conditions they are held in are much better than what they left, and better than many other countries they would be caught entering, including Mexico.

They were being detained at a DETENTION CENTER.
I'm not sure why people think these places should be set up like 3 star hotels. They are for people who decide to illegally enter this country. They aren't set up so "we" can take care of you and make sure you have a delightful stay. If they want hotel treatment then come here legally on vacation and make a reservation at Marriott. If you don't want to be DETAINED in a DETENTION CENTER then don't sneak across the border. It's pretty freaking simple. These people put their children in these situation, they only have themselves to blame.

I just have to comment, my dd traveled to Canada with a few friends back in the spring and she said it was so pleasant at the Canadian check point, the officers were extremely nice. My dd had to throw out some contraband in order to enter and the officer was very helpful in letting her know where she could replace it once in Canada. She didn't bother since she'd have to throw it out again going back into the US but she thought it was sweet that he tried to help her, even explaining he understood why she had it and he was sorry she had to get rid of it.
I honestly don't know. I was just imagining that if the US officials had just turned them back around, they would have been able to re-enter with no questions asked. Most likely their detention added another dimension, for sure.
To keep the anecdotes going - I've crossed into Canada multiple times. I have also traveled to many other countires, some nice, some not so nice. Arriving at US ports has always been a pleasant experience for me.
25 years ago I drove alone across the Alberta/Montana border at Sweetgrass. I had a big, stuffed rabbit buckled into my back-seat just as a lark; a boyfriend had won it for me at a carnival and I basically forgot it was back there. The US officials detained me for hours and tossed my car looking for evidence that I might have been trying to illegally transport a minor across international lines. :laughing:

OTOH, :lovestruc one of the sweetest group of folks I've ever been interrogated by was the Italian police, after arriving in the cruise port of Livorno undocumented. We had lost our Passports the day before in Monaco.

Last edited:
Since we're sharing border crossing stories, I had one particularly notable trip to Europe several years ago. It was shortly after the Euro zone was implemented and several years after the break up of the Blakan states
On the same trip
1. We accidentally drove into Germany. We were sort of lost, but not panicking yet, when we passed a huge "Welcome to Austria" sign. Since we thought we were IN Austria already, that's when we started to panic. Finally figured out where we were and realized we'd spent the last half hour or so in Germany. So I definitely have an inherent instinct to be sympathetic to someone who accidentally ends up in a different country!
2. Same trip, a week later, we were intentionally crossing between Hungary and Slovenia. Like I said, it was after the break up of the Blakans, but Slovenia was still very much in recovery. So the border crossing looked straight out of a Soviet propoganda film or something. And we spoke neither Hungarian nor Slovenian and google translate wasn't really a thing. And... to make matters worse... my passport had an endorsement for my married name in the back, but the front page still had my maiden name. So some crusty old agents took our passports and walked to the worn down shack. It had glass windows, so we could see, but not hear anything. One agent starts inspecting the passports then calls over 2 others. 10 minutes or so later, they direct us to pull over to the side. 2 more agents appear. At this point we're envisioning headlines of "two American tourists disappear mysteriously in Eastern Europe." My new-ish DH starts wondering if we need to bribe them or develop some sort of escape plan. Then two of them come over, all smiles and laughing, and point to my engagement ring and my two different names in the passport, and send us on our way with lots of smiles and waves. We went from mild terror to bemusement really fast! (And, for the record, Slovenia is an amazing country and people should go visit it!!!)

All of this has not much to do with the topic at hand, but since people were sharing anecdotes, I figured I'd share mine :-)

To keep the anecdotes going - I've crossed into Canada multiple times. I have also traveled to many other countires, some nice, some not so nice. Arriving at US ports has always been a pleasant experience for me.

US customs is the worst I've experienced and I'm American (the US customs in the Dublin airport is probably the best of the US ones I've been through). All the European ones have been much better (and faster!) experiences where you don't feel like you're being interrogated.

US customs is the worst I've experienced and I'm American (the US customs in the Dublin airport is probably the best of the US ones I've been through). All the European ones have been much better (and faster!) experiences where you don't feel like you're being interrogated.

I travel all the time and I've literally never been interrogated coming into the US (or other countries). The most questions I've been asked was when I was going from France to the UK.

There is a US customs agency here in the Calgary airport too and we always clear on outbound flights. I've always wondered if the agents are Americans or Canadians hired locally? :scratchin Gotta say, they are less warm-and-fuzzy than the agents on our return to Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter