Call your shot (NBA)

I thought I heard Spike Lee’s head exploding...

Lord. I guess so.

Was going to say in my original post that I was most curious about the Knicks. So many early rumours that seemed to go poof, even before today.

There's a report that the Warriors just acquired D'Angelo Russell from the Nets in a sign and trade, and the balance things out they traded Andre Iguodala and a 1st round (protected) pick to the Memphis Grizzlies. Protected picks are contingent on the pick not being at a certain positions and where the trade will be for another pick in a later year, that may or may not be protected again.

This is actually a pretty bold move. The Warriors are now getting younger, when their top talent was previously at least approaching 30.

I am all for these guys going wherever they want. Wherever will make them happy or they think will make them happy. And for their families.

Stating my stance clearly before I get a tad negative.

-----------

Let's just see how Brooklyn fares with the Integrity twins. :drinking1

Last edited:
There's a report that the Warriors just acquired D'Angelo Russell from the Nets in a sign and trade, and the balance things out they traded Andre Iguodala and a 1st round (protected) pick to the Memphis Grizzlies. Protected picks are contingent on the pick not being at a certain positions and where the trade will be for another pick in a later year, that may or may not be protected again.

This is actually a pretty bold move. The Warriors are now getting younger, when their top talent was previously at least approaching 30.

Was just going to post it.

Good move. I like Iguodala but you had to think something was going to happen there.

The Warriors were a success before Durant, so good addition - added bonus in my book.

Was just going to post it.

Good move. I like Iguodala but you had to think something was going to happen there.

The Warriors were a success before Durant, so good addition - added bonus in my book.
Here's one story:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27093894/russell-joining-gsw-iguodala-grizz
Not sure what the long-term plans are, but when Thompson comes back that's three guards making over $20 million a year. The Warriors are a proponent of "positionless basketball" and Thompson is 6'7". They could go to a new "Death Lineup" with Curry, Thompson, Russell, Green, and Looney.

I was surprised about Redick. Don't know why, just am. Longevity!

Very happy for Horford. Curious to see the impact on Philly.

Should be a fantastic year of basketball. I don't think talent=a team that necessarily works. We shall see. Indiana looks interesting. So many possibilities in the East.

Last edited:
Someone was quizzing me about Butler a la why. What's there?

I answered Miami! :boat:

Made me think what an absolute disadvantage a few organizations have - over others - attracting players a la weather, another country, some not a vibrant city. It really is harder for some markets.

-----------------------

But then again there's the Knicks.

More on the deal. Apparently it's a sign and trade involving Durant. By doing that the Nets can take on a 5 year year deal for the supermax since the Warriors technically would be signing him, and they're the only team that can do that. This also gives the Warriors a way around the salary cap since they have Russell's "Bird rights"- aka the ability to go above the salary cap to sign a team's own players. It's kind of complicated, but for these rights he's on his fourth year since he's never been a free agent.

None of this can become official until July 6.

Not really. It’s kind of complicated, but the salary cap rules basically won’t allow for the Warriors to sign a star free agent unless they can sign everyone under the hard salary cap. There are exceptions galore, such as signing minimum contracts, drafted players, the mid level exception, resigning players, and (most importantly) Bird rights that allow a team to go over the cap.

Bird rights are where a player will be on the third (early Bird) or later years playing consecutively for the same team. The time also transfers when a player is traded. Durant was eligible for early Bird last season but signed another 1+1 where the second year was a player option that he’s declined. This year he was eligible to be signed for a max 5 years for the Warriors, but 4 as a free agent for any other team. There was talk that they might agree to a max with the expressed understanding that he would be traded to a team of his choice after his rehab year. But now that he’s gone the Warriors don’t free up room to sign anyone.

Kawhi Leonard was traded, so his Bird rights went with him. But if he signs elsewhere the Raptors don’t have the ability to resign a similar player.

There are lots of nuances to the system, especially the sign and trade. But the simple fact is that Durant leaving doesn’t free up room to sign anyone because of salary cap rules.

Apparently they might be able to get a full mid level exception if Livingston leaves. Last year they were well over the salary cap, into the luxury tax, and got a reduced MLE ($5.3 million) used to sign Cousins). The full MLE is about $9 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmurray/2019/02/24/how-can-the-warriors-replace-kevin-durant/
It’s really this weird system where teams like the Warriors can keep their high priced talent but have limited options to bring in new ones. The talk was about teams like the Nets, Lakers, and Clippers shedding salaries in order to get enough under the salary cap to sign two big free agents.
Supposedly it's a sign and trade. That changes things a bit.

I thought I heard Spike Lee’s head exploding...

Along with the rest of the Knick fans. They always think they are going to get everyone. Some knick guy was on the radio claiming if they want to win a title they should go to the Knicks because they're like the Lakers and the Nets the Clips. HAHAHA yeah right. The Knicks haven't won a title in ages. The inflated opinion of the Knicks by their fans is nearly impossible to over estimate.

Supposedly it's a sign and trade. That changes things a bit.
Most definitely. But it’s still an attempt to deal with a lot of arcane rules. I thought that with the two sign and trades that they basically substituted for free agent signings where teams could go over the salary cap. They do to some extent, but it’s not unlimited like if they had retained Durant. The salary cap is at $109 million. To do a sign and trade to get Russell they needed to stay under the “apron” at about $139 million, which is why they had to unload Iguodala’s salary. There’s also a salary difference between Durant and Russell. and the Warriors are using a traded player exemption which they have a year to add the salary difference. And they can only sign Durant to 4 years. But the advantage to Nets is now they have (Larry) Bird rights to exceed the salary cap for Durant in future years.

Like I said it’s complicated.

The really odd thing is that there has been no reporting of what the Warriors are getting back. Apparently the Grizz are using part of his salary to balance out the trade exception the had from unloading Mike Conley. And this article from the Memphis paper says that the Warriors are basically getting nothing in return other than unloading Iguodala's salary:

The Grizzlies are using an estimated $25 million-plus trade exception solidified through the Mike Conley trade to avoid sending anything back to Golden State in the deal.​

Also - they might have taken the deal in order to then buy out Iguodala's salary, but I'm not sure how the rules work since they have to make up that trade exception in a year. Maybe the rules allow his full salary to count against the amount they need to make up, but I don't know that much about the rules.

Rumor is now that the Warriors are looking to trade Russell. However, the whole point of the sign and trade was that the Nets will have Bird rights for future years, and that the Warriors wouldn't leave empty-handed. Now they have a star player and/or a trade piece where they can be creative with the salary cap.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254648/Warriors-Expected-To-Eventually-Trade-DAngelo-Russell

Already a trade rumor before they even get him. I read that the Lakers are interested, but what do they have to give at this point? Their draft picks are already traded for the foreseeable future, they're not going to trade Davis or Le Bron. They're not going to trade Leonard if they sign him. What do they have? If the Warriors were to keep Russel, he's going to have to play better D.

Is it wrong for me to laugh at the Knicks and their fans?

Congrats, you got Julius Randall, Tag Gipson, Bobby Portis, and Reggie Bullock. And the nets get Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.

I have absolutely nothing against New York and I don't usually laugh at others misfortune. But when it comes to the Knicks, HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Last edited:
Already a trade rumor before they even get him. I read that the Lakers are interested, but what do they have to give at this point? Their draft picks are already traded for the foreseeable future, they're not going to trade Davis or Le Bron. They're not going to trade Leonard if they sign him. What do they have? If the Warriors were to keep Russel, he's going to have to play better D.
The gist is that the Grizz may just be looking to balance the trade exception and will buy out Iguodala's contract. Still - I'm not sure how that works and if the full value of his contract is applied or just the buyout price. But if he's bought out he's a free agent allowed to sign anywhere other than the Warriors. Since the Warriors are trading him to reduce their salary cap number, they can't take him back for a full season.

The gist is that the Grizz may just be looking to balance the trade exception and will buy out Iguodala's contract. Still - I'm not sure how that works and if the full value of his contract is applied or just the buyout price. But if he's bought out he's a free agent allowed to sign anywhere other than the Warriors. Since the Warriors are trading him to reduce their salary cap number, they can't take him back for a full season.

Man I would love Iguodala here, if he was bought out. It would be a full circle moment since Vince pretty well left after we didn't draft him.

But I have absolutely no clue what our front office is facing.

I would be shocked if Kawhi doesn't go to Southern California. It makes the most sense for him. And LeBron is not playing many more years (ie. Kawhi could play with him and then become the franchise), Kawhi grew up a Lakers fan (little boy dreams are strong, are they not?, plus he seems to have a good rapport with LeBron - and Kobe. So I am thinking Lakers over Clippers despite the quote that he wants to play against LeBron, not with him.

I also think he scheduled us last because he knows he will be a Clipper or Laker.

I am most sad about Danny Green. It is evident that his decision is based on Kawhi. He has pretty well said that in so many words. Not that he would 100% follow him as a teammate,. But just might want another choice, if Leonard leaves. I am sure Green means a lot to Kawhi - Danny stood up for him in that infamous locker room fiasco in San Antonio.

Green would be a big loss for me.

Last edited:
Is it wrong for me to laugh at the Knicks and their fans?

Congrats, you got Julius Randall, Tag Gipson, Bobby Portis, and Reggie Bullock. And the nets get Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.

I have absolutely nothing against New York and I don't usually laugh at others misfortune. But when it comes to the Knicks, HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Smith's radio show was hysterical. I am usually not a fan but the "Couldn't they have waited 12 hours?" a la flying out and immediately announcing Randle had me in tears. :rotfl:

I have more to say - since I now believe a Knicks' secondary story on what really went on (not the not offering Durant the max story) - but it is so gorgeous out tonight. Must get off here! :moped:

But I have absolutely no clue what our front office is facing.
Pretty much no flexibility to sign free agents other than on NBA minimum contracts. Already over the cap. Kind of like the Warriors situation with Durant. If Leonard doesn't return, there's little chance of getting anyone close to that talent/price save a sign and trade deal. A team can go well over the salary cap to re-sign players with "Bird rights" but if they leave as free agents, there are serious limits to who they can sign as free agents.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/cap/
The Warriors basically gutted their reserves to bring in Durant, but they at least engineered a sign and trade. The Raptors last year had no free agents other than on minimum NBA salaries because they were over the salary cap. It's kind of system where a team can get ballooning salaries paid to returning players, but if they eventually leave as free agents, the system doesn't allow for an easy way to replace them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter