• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

User Never to old- Vicki
Going for the triple crown. I will be solo for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Goal to finish with a smile on my face.
Staying at Wilderness

I'm on kappyfamily's "where are you staying thread" too! I'm doing the 5K with my three boys (we're Belle, Beast, Lumiere and Cogsworth) and the PHM on Sunday. Our youngest is doing the kids races on Saturday (hopefully that goes more smoothly than the DL kids races in August!) And we're staying BWI CL!

IIRC, I think I've seen him write that you should run the first half mile, take a walk break (maybe 30 seconds?), and run the rest. But the current information on his website doesn't mention walking at all. It is supposed to be pretty much your fastest possible mile. Here's what he says: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/

Yeah, I'm seeing nothing in the Magic Mile section about the run/walk scenario, which is odd considering that he talks a lot about this in other areas of his site. Someone (I'm spacing on the name - sorry!) responded to my question on the original PHM thread earlier this evening, saying that they run/walk the MM b/c it's what they'll be doing in the race. This makes sense to me - why would I want to know how fast I could run it if I'm not going to run the whole time? :)

Wow - can't believe we hit 250 pages on the original thread already!! Love how chatty this group is! :)
I'm Suzi, staying at Riverside (in a royal guest room!!:hyper:) and I'll be doing the GSC!

On another note, I am having such mixed emotions about this trip! I haven't trained up past 10k yet, and I have 2 weeks off school right now but we're supposed to get a giant icy storm this weekend so I'm frustrated that I might not be able to get any runs in.. I'm starting to get really really worried about the distance of 13.1 miles ONE DAY after a 10k! I can do 10k pretty comfortably now so I am not stressing about that (I plan to just take it easy and save more energy for the half). I am a horrible procrastinator in life though and I'm finding it really difficult to convince myself that I CANNOT just procrastinate training and then just magically be able to run 13.1 miles all of a sudden! I'm not so worried about the balloon ladies - more so about getting injured! Is there any way to prevent injury?? (other than stepping up training at an appropriate rate)

On top of that, I'm stressed about having enough time to do race-related stuff (ie. wander the expo for however long I want, pre-race meetups, post-race meetups, etc) because my dad will be with me on this trip and I don't want him to be mad/bored/lonely/grumpy if I go off doing my own thing for a bit. He is not the type to be like "go have fun, don't worry about me I'll keep myself busy!" ...He's more the type to be like "where exactly will you be and precisely when will you be done and why would you ever go anywhere by yourself ever?!" And I have a feeling he won't approve of the meetups.

I am ALSO having a tough time envisioning myself at Disney in February! It bums me out that nothing special will be happening at Epcot (I've only ever been to WDW during F&W or F&G!) and I can't picture what the weather will be like since I've heard such completely opposite reviews of February Florida weather!!! When I reminisce about past Disney trips, the warm lovely Florida atmosphere is A GIGANTIC PART of my memories, and I don't think I'm ready to wear like ..a sweatshirt or jacket or long pants at Disney! :worried:

Sorry for the long and negative rant! I am just really upset that the primary thing I'm feeling isn't excitement this time....it's anxiety :( If anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom that would be greatly appreciated! I really need to get over this stressed out phase so I can get excited for the trip/races/DISNEY IN GENERAL!! :woohoo:

Hope everyone's winter training is going well so far!!

I am ALSO having a tough time envisioning myself at Disney in February! It bums me out that nothing special will be happening at Epcot (I've only ever been to WDW during F&W or F&G!) and I can't picture what the weather will be like since I've heard such completely opposite reviews of February Florida weather!!! When I reminisce about past Disney trips, the warm lovely Florida atmosphere is A GIGANTIC PART of my memories, and I don't think I'm ready to wear like ..a sweatshirt or jacket or long pants at Disney! :worried:

if it makes you feel a little better, most of the topiaries are usually up for F&G by princess-time. i know it's not the same, but you'll still get to see some :goodvibes

Suzi Some things you can control, and others you can't. So your job is to only think about the things you CAN control. And that would be training. The good news is that you have plenty of time, you are currently uninjured and you know what needs to be done. You are a perfect candidate for the Nike slogan "Just Do It" Don't worry about back to back runs--I did Goofy without them and I'm MUCH older than you are! Just focus on a steady increase in the length of your long run. And don't neurose over missing the occasional run due to weather, schedule, etc. It doesn't do anything other than make you sick.

As for the weather--you can't control it, you just have to deal with it. And plenty of people will tell you that day at Disney in any weather is better than most alternatives. I have been to Disney 25-30 times, including February and you never know what you might get for weather. But it is pretty much guaranteed to be better than the weather at home!

User Never to old- Vicki
Going for the triple crown. I will be solo for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Goal to finish with a smile on my face.
Staying at Wilderness

Welcome!

I'm on kappyfamily's "where are you staying thread" too! I'm doing the 5K with my three boys (we're Belle, Beast, Lumiere and Cogsworth) and the PHM on Sunday. Our youngest is doing the kids races on Saturday (hopefully that goes more smoothly than the DL kids races in August!) And we're staying BWI CL!

I am too! Kappyfamily has a really extensive thread that notes races and resorts as well so that's a great place to find other's at your resort!

Wow - can't believe we hit 250 pages on the original thread already!! Love how chatty this group is! :)
I'm Suzi, staying at Riverside (in a royal guest room!!:hyper:) and I'll be doing the GSC!

On another note, I am having such mixed emotions about this trip! I haven't trained up past 10k yet, and I have 2 weeks off school right now but we're supposed to get a giant icy storm this weekend so I'm frustrated that I might not be able to get any runs in.. I'm starting to get really really worried about the distance of 13.1 miles ONE DAY after a 10k! I can do 10k pretty comfortably now so I am not stressing about that (I plan to just take it easy and save more energy for the half). I am a horrible procrastinator in life though and I'm finding it really difficult to convince myself that I CANNOT just procrastinate training and then just magically be able to run 13.1 miles all of a sudden! I'm not so worried about the balloon ladies - more so about getting injured! Is there any way to prevent injury?? (other than stepping up training at an appropriate rate)

On top of that, I'm stressed about having enough time to do race-related stuff (ie. wander the expo for however long I want, pre-race meetups, post-race meetups, etc) because my dad will be with me on this trip and I don't want him to be mad/bored/lonely/grumpy if I go off doing my own thing for a bit. He is not the type to be like "go have fun, don't worry about me I'll keep myself busy!" ...He's more the type to be like "where exactly will you be and precisely when will you be done and why would you ever go anywhere by yourself ever?!" And I have a feeling he won't approve of the meetups.

Sorry for the long and negative rant! I am just really upset that the primary thing I'm feeling isn't excitement this time....it's anxiety :( If anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom that would be greatly appreciated! I really need to get over this stressed out phase so I can get excited for the trip/races/DISNEY IN GENERAL!! :woohoo:

Hope everyone's winter training is going well so far!!

Whenever I hit a roadblock in my training, I remind myself that I'm not flying all the way to WDW, the happiest place on earth, to be unhappy while I'm struggling to finish the race. That usually helps me get goin'!

Hi, I am Kathleen. I am running the half with my dh and dd. We are staying at Pop Century.

Welcome!

Suzi Some things you can control, and others you can't. So your job is to only think about the things you CAN control. And that would be training. The good news is that you have plenty of time, you are currently uninjured and you know what needs to be done. You are a perfect candidate for the Nike slogan "Just Do It" Don't worry about back to back runs--I did Goofy without them and I'm MUCH older than you are! Just focus on a steady increase in the length of your long run. And don't neurose over missing the occasional run due to weather, schedule, etc. It doesn't do anything other than make you sick.

As for the weather--you can't control it, you just have to deal with it. And plenty of people will tell you that day at Disney in any weather is better than most alternatives. I have been to Disney 25-30 times, including February and you never know what you might get for weather. But it is pretty much guaranteed to be better than the weather at home!

Well put! :thumbsup2

I'm Sharon. Going completely by myself. Running all three races but registered for each separately as I found out they were available so no GSC --- boo!

Staying at Pop -- first time there ever. We're out-of-points DVC owners.

Just started running in May. Lost 50 pounds in the last year. I'm old-- 63.
Have done 4 5ks but this will be my first 10k and half.

Up to 9+ miles on my long run. Just started spinning class too. Was working with a personal trainer for 4 months but ready to give it up--expensive!

Determined never to be fat again!

Going again in April and August with DD and DGD and then in May with DH and in Dec. with DH, DS and DIL. Looking forward to a solo trip!

Hi guys! Ok the "Where are you staying thread is all updated. I know a few of you have posted here, but I won't take any info off this thread to add to the list until you post it on the "official" hotel list. That way I know you want to be added. We have over 80 people on it so it is a good source of info! Please PM me or add put it on this thread… also please include what races you are doing (PHM, GSC, pink C2C, etc)

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3125358

thanks!
Michele

I'm Sharon. Going completely by myself. Running all three races but registered for each separately as I found out they were available so no GSC --- boo!

Staying at Pop -- first time there ever. We're out-of-points DVC owners.

Just started running in May. Lost 50 pounds in the last year. I'm old-- 63.
Have done 4 5ks but this will be my first 10k and half.

Up to 9+ miles on my long run. Just started spinning class too. Was working with a personal trainer for 4 months but ready to give it up--expensive!

Determined never to be fat again!

Going again in April and August with DD and DGD and then in May with DH and in Dec. with DH, DS and DIL. Looking forward to a solo trip!

Welcome and congrats on your weight loss journey!

Hi guys! Ok the "Where are you staying thread is all updated. I know a few of you have posted here, but I won't take any info off this thread to add to the list until you post it on the "official" hotel list. That way I know you want to be added. We have over 80 people on it so it is a good source of info! Please PM me or add put it on this thread… also please include what races you are doing (PHM, GSC, pink C2C, etc)

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3125358

thanks!
Michele

I'll keep adding people here as you guys post, but feel free to utilize this board too!

Ok ladies, I'm a little worried.

I just did my first Galloway Magic Mile (skipped it a few weeks ago). My pace was a 11:37 mile, but when calculated using the Magic Mile formula, I'm at 13:50 (or 3:01:26 for the entire race). Eeeeeeek - I thought I was doing better than this, and I pushed that Magic Mile!

Has anyone done the MM before and tested it with a race? Was it as accurate as it's reported to be?

Ok ladies, I'm a little worried.

I just did my first Galloway Magic Mile (skipped it a few weeks ago). My pace was a 11:37 mile, but when calculated using the Magic Mile formula, I'm at 13:50 (or 3:01:26 for the entire race). Eeeeeeek - I thought I was doing better than this, and I pushed that Magic Mile!

Has anyone done the MM before and tested it with a race? Was it as accurate as it's reported to be?

If this was your first Magic Mile, chances are you didn't do it up to your full potential. In an ideal world, you'd have the chance to run several MMs, each 2-3 weeks apart, and you'd likely see improvement from one to the next - partly due to actual improvement in run fitness, and partly due to being better able to manage your effort and pacing for a one-mile time trial.

I went back and looked at my first 4 MMs, I did them while I was training for my first half marathon in 2010, 2 weeks apart, with the last one about a month before the race. I improved at least a little bit with each attempt, and the last one, when I plug the pace into the calculator, is within 2 minutes of my finishing time of that first half marathon. But the first one was much slower. Plus, I always find a little bit of race day magic after tapering and with the excitement of the day. So you're probably pretty close to where you want to be. :)

tiki23 - Alice :wave2:
Staying at All Star Sports
Running the GSC with my Sis. :)

I can't remember if I posted in the other thread or not, sooo...

taratru - Tara
staying at Pop and Boardwalk
only the half

Not sure if I'll even be able to run at this point. I've been injured and it's not going well. We'll see.

tiki23 - Alice :wave2:
Staying at All Star Sports
Running the GSC with my Sis. :)

I can't remember if I posted in the other thread or not, sooo...

taratru - Tara
staying at Pop and Boardwalk
only the half

Not sure if I'll even be able to run at this point. I've been injured and it's not going well. We'll see.

Added you both!

Have a happy holiday, everyone! :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter