Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

There is a 10K in just under a month that I have my eye on, so I have got to get back to running! I have been wanting to do this one for over a year, so I hope I can!

Ok, so I finally just went and ran and did 3.1 miles despite my head still feeling stuffy and not much more motivation than a 5k race planned 7 weeks from now. Good news is, my body hasn't completely forgotten how to run! Bad news is that the weird knee pain I had for princess is still there! I had no idea since I hadn't run since then. I have worked out and been running around normal with no pain tho. Strange.

Anyhow, I was seriously worried all y training would have evaporated in the last three weeks. Amazingly- it didn't!

I've been slowly increasing distance since I got home and did 7.5 miles yesterday. But my lower back was killing me last night! And I'm not sure what my "long" run should be since I'm not training for a half right now. I've got a 10k scheduled in June and nothing until then, although I might throw in a 5 k somewhere.

What does everyone do for a "maintenance" long run? I do around 20 miles per week over 4 days but don't know if it's good to just do 5 miles each time.

I've been slowly increasing distance since I got home and did 7.5 miles yesterday. But my lower back was killing me last night! And I'm not sure what my "long" run should be since I'm not training for a half right now. I've got a 10k scheduled in June and nothing until then, although I might throw in a 5 k somewhere.

What does everyone do for a "maintenance" long run? I do around 20 miles per week over 4 days but don't know if it's good to just do 5 miles each time.

When I'm not training for a half I don't do any runs past 5-6 miles unless I for some reason just "feel like" it. I run about 40 min during the week jncluding speedwork. However, since I have no half plans until may 2015, I'm going to go check out some 10k training plans and see what they say. I've never made a 10k race my focus, only a part of half training. So I have no idea. I'm thinking I might try to just see how far I can go in an hour and see if I can just keep getting faster.

My current plan is to do some HIIT training throughout the week and only two runs per week for the next few months just to mix it up. I'm trying to replace my lonnnnnng weekend runs with some extra time w my son for now. But I'm sure when the weather turns nice, ill have my Saturday mornings to myself again while DH and he go golfing.

Do we have a few people here who might be interested in a thread for people without a runDisney half on the schedule? I feel lost on the DIS lately since my next rD isn't until nov 2015!

When I'm not training for a half I don't do any runs past 5-6 miles unless I for some reason just "feel like" it. I run about 40 min during the week jncluding speedwork. However, since I have no half plans until may 2015, I'm going to go check out some 10k training plans and see what they say. I've never made a 10k race my focus, only a part of half training. So I have no idea. I'm thinking I might try to just see how far I can go in an hour and see if I can just keep getting faster.

My current plan is to do some HIIT training throughout the week and only two runs per week for the next few months just to mix it up. I'm trying to replace my lonnnnnng weekend runs with some extra time w my son for now. But I'm sure when the weather turns nice, ill have my Saturday mornings to myself again while DH and he go golfing.

Do we have a few people here who might be interested in a thread for people without a runDisney half on the schedule? I feel lost on the DIS lately since my next rD isn't until nov 2015!

I'd be interested in an idle chit chat thread. It can keep us motivated until the next training program.

I'd be interested in an idle chit chat thread. It can keep us motivated until the next training program.

Me too!

I got back to exercise today. No running yet, but I did some foam rolling, Pilates and elliptical. I hope to start (slowly) next week, or I will never make it through a 10K! I am planning on timed runs...maybe 2 or 3 at 30 minutes, and 1 for an hour. Thoughts? My 10K time is just over an hour though, so maybe I will do 2 at 30 minutes and a 10K.

Me too! I have done a couple long runs since the race - have a 10 miler soon...ugh. Was hoping to improve my time a little but been a little lazy.

That is the cutest thing EVER!!

As far as maintenance mode, I have been hitting the weights. I have only ran at most to 3 miles. I had sciatica really bad after the race. My core and lower body needs major strengthening. I only have a 10k scheduled for the summer but am adding a major strength component to my workout. My weak muscles are causing too many lower body injuries.

Hey ladies- since you guys seemed interested, I started up a thread called "runners without runDisney (plans). I for one feel totally lost at sea without a runDisney race thread so maybe there are more people like me who will join the thread and help us stay motivated and recover emotionally from the big race we just spent months working towards!

Hope to see u there!

Oh- and keahgirl- I'm going aim for 2 30 min runs and a 60 min run also during maintenance!

Hey ladies- since you guys seemed interested, I started up a thread called "runners without runDisney (plans). I for one feel totally lost at sea without a runDisney race thread so maybe there are more people like me who will join the thread and help us stay motivated and recover emotionally from the big race we just spent months working towards! Hope to see u there! Oh- and keahgirl- I'm going aim for 2 30 min runs and a 60 min run also during maintenance!

Great idea! My sister and I were getting so bummed out that we're missing ToT and W&D because of a trip scheduled right between them. We actually decided to make a short trip for the WDW marathon wknd in Jan to combat that I-don't-have-a-cool-half-to-look-forward-to feeling!! LOL!! Planning on running that half -- I think -- but will check out your new thread just in case... ... :)

Hey ladies- since you guys seemed interested, I started up a thread called "runners without runDisney (plans). I for one feel totally lost at sea without a runDisney race thread so maybe there are more people like me who will join the thread and help us stay motivated and recover emotionally from the big race we just spent months working towards!

Hope to see u there!

Oh- and keahgirl- I'm going aim for 2 30 min runs and a 60 min run also during maintenance!

Figment, I'll join you!!!! I plan to register for the 2015 full marathon, but if our 2014 PHM has a community thread, I'd love to join in!

My favorite maintenance run distance is 4 miles, and I found a route outside with a HUGE hill today that was very fun and interesting. I'm training for a local 1/2 marathon in June, so I started with a 6-mile "long run" last week and will increase to 9 miles next week, then 11 two weeks after, etc. But it's just not as exciting as a Disney run.

That is the cutest thing EVER!! As far as maintenance mode, I have been hitting the weights. I have only ran at most to 3 miles. I had sciatica really bad after the race. My core and lower body needs major strengthening. I only have a 10k scheduled for the summer but am adding a major strength component to my workout. My weak muscles are causing too many lower body injuries.

Oh do I relate...

Hey ladies- since you guys seemed interested, I started up a thread called "runners without runDisney (plans). I for one feel totally lost at sea without a runDisney race thread so maybe there are more people like me who will join the thread and help us stay motivated and recover emotionally from the big race we just spent months working towards! Hope to see u there! Oh- and keahgirl- I'm going aim for 2 30 min runs and a 60 min run also during maintenance!

Excellent! I will be right there!

So I'm hoping to run my first half marathon in Disney at the 2015 PHM. I loved reading all of your comments and thougths on the 2014 PHM. I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone who participated could shed some light on for me please :)!!!

1 - The Pasta in the Park & Breakfast deal . . . did anyone do this and was it worth it in your opinion?

2 - ChEAR Squads - Did you have anyone who participated in the various levels and what were your/their thoughts? I think my mom will be joining me and will have my kiddos (8 & 5).

3 - Race Retreat - - Thoughts & opinions? Is it worth it?

If this is not the right place to post these questions, would you mind pointing me in the right direction??

Thanks so much!!

So I'm hoping to run my first half marathon in Disney at the 2015 PHM. I loved reading all of your comments and thougths on the 2014 PHM. I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone who participated could shed some light on for me please :)!!!

1 - The Pasta in the Park & Breakfast deal . . . did anyone do this and was it worth it in your opinion?

2 - ChEAR Squads - Did you have anyone who participated in the various levels and what were your/their thoughts? I think my mom will be joining me and will have my kiddos (8 & 5).

If this is not the right place to post these questions, would you mind pointing me in the right direction??

Thanks so much!!

Hi there! I did not do the Pasta in the Park, the Breakfast deal or the ChEAR Squad, but I did do the Race Retreat. It was pricey but I am glad I did it. The Princess was my first half, I was thankful for the place to eat prior to the race and for the cool and comfy place to cool down after. I did do a post-race blog piece on my run, and I talked about the race retreat a little bit if you want to check it out. I plan on doing the PHM this year as well, and I'm putting the pennies away to to do the Race Retreat again.

http://www.faith-trust-andpixiedust.blogspot.com/2014/02/2014-princess-half-marathon-i-finished.html

So I'm hoping to run my first half marathon in Disney at the 2015 PHM. I loved reading all of your comments and thougths on the 2014 PHM. I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone who participated could shed some light on for me please :)!!! 1 - The Pasta in the Park & Breakfast deal . . . did anyone do this and was it worth it in your opinion? 2 - ChEAR Squads - Did you have anyone who participated in the various levels and what were your/their thoughts? I think my mom will be joining me and will have my kiddos (8 & 5). 3 - Race Retreat - - Thoughts & opinions? Is it worth it? If this is not the right place to post these questions, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?? Thanks so much!!

I did both Pasta in the Park and the Race Retreat this year. Honestly, I didn't think Pasta in the Park was worth it, but very glad I did the Race Retreat. As the PP stated, it was nice to have a dedicated place to prep before and relax after the race. I'd definitely do it again!

In my case, no the race retreat wasn't worth it at all. I was so hung up on getting to the front of my corral to give myself a little buffer, since I was in the last corral that I didn't even go to the race retreat before the race.

After the race, I didn't feel like eating at all, and the food wasn't that good. I got the retreat mostly for the private toilets and massage. Well, the massage table closed down about 5 people before I got to it. I had to go to the massage tent to get a massage anyway. Of course, in my post-race comotose state (I was alone) I wandered around looking for it and practically crying when I saw the bus line back to Pop. And the "private" portapotties were every bit as disgusting as the public ones, though the line was probably less

I signed up really late last year through a charity for the half. Doing everything differently this year, including registering the minute it opens, submitting a time(I'm still really slow, but hopefully won't be in the last corral) and staying at the Boardwalk(already booked.) And having some support from my DD and DGD.

Thanks so much!!

1. We don't have experience with Pasta in the Park, but have considered at both WDW and DL in the past. Doesn't seem like a great value for our family.

2. We purchased the silver level ChEAR Squad packages for our three boys. So the package included a t-shirt, mickey clapper and stadium blanket, but not seating or the retreat. In the end, this was perfect. My husband easily found a spot near the finish line without the higher level package, our kids all wore their shirts and the blankets were very useful during their wait at the finish. They use the blankets at home, and will bring them to the marathon in 2015, so it was worth the investment for us. Really glad we didn't invest in a higher level ChEAR squad, but then again, they didn't try to get to MK and the finish area wasn't that crowded when I finished. I was in Corral C and finished in 1:57, so I'm not sure if crowd levels change later on.

3. I was on the fence regarding the race retreat initially, but I'm glad I did it for my first PHM. I didn't eat much before or after the race, but it was very convenient to have a few items available without having to plan or pack anything. I wanted to arrive early anyway (I was on the bus by 3:15am) so I appreciated having an inside spot to wait. The weather was fine this year, but I considered the cost of the race retreat an insurance policy in case it wasn't. The bag check was very easy and the lines for the bathrooms were far shorter than the lines outside the tent.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter