Came across this article from an average guest

I just want a better grasp of the Doofenschmirtz parameters. :rolleyes1

Doofenschmirtz parameters cover
THE ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!

Dooenshmirtz-Tri-State_Area-800.jpg

It won't be $125 a head. It'll be $300 like the new breakfast JC experience at DL. Make that $375 (dinner is more expensive.)

Depends... what do you get for the Disneyland breakfast experience? A "safari guide" (a dedicated cast member instantly doubles the price), breakfast buffet backstage (getting to go where others don't get to go hikes the price, too), and a private ride on the Jungle Cruise where you can try your hand at "being a skipper". So, it's more like a tour, and has been priced accordingly!

Since AK already has the Wild Africa Trek ($250), I was figuring a Yak and Yeti reserved seating/fastpass package would be priced something like the more comparable Fantasmic dinner package or the Candlelight Processional dinner package. Plus, events tend to start off looking semi-affordable (Wishes Dessert Party) and then after a year or two they get popular and Disney hikes the price. ;)

I'm event planner for my company, so planning stuff is second-nature to me. I'm a Disneyland veteran and love the spontaneity of just showing up and letting the day unfold as it may. Planning for WDW, however, was pretty daunting as a first timer. I felt like a sniper in an Ebay auction when booking my ADR's and FP's (LOL!). I really enjoyed putting everything together and plan to allow plenty of time for spontaneity too. SO EXCITED FOR OUR FIRST TRIP!!!

I guess this highlights how FP+ & MDE are both a gift and a curse. Personally, as a UK visitor we kind of do it both ways. Our first 5 days is taken up with that obsessive 'momster' planning courtesy of MDE and FP+ so we can get all the obligatory pics and experiences done. however the next 9/10 days we try our best not to get sucked in by the commando touring, and just experience the magic. It is I am sure no surprise that I prefer the second half, as that is what I believe Disney is all about, too many people (including me in the past) go with the, I've paid X amount and I am going to see it all to get my money's worth ideology. Whilst I do get that to an extant in my opinion it really taints Disney for yourself and others.
I have to admit I do love to plan, and MDE and FP+ certainly facilitate this. However just because I love to plan it does not mean that is the best way to enjoy Disney. I do miss the pre FP+ Disney but lets be honest, it's gone and now I just move on and learn how to love Disney as it is now and will continue to be.
P.S I really do hope they do something about the sea of iPads in shows, I am sure these people would replace their actual eyes with an apple product if they could. Disclaimer: I have no issue with apple or their products.

Ok here is my take on my own personal experience.
I'm not a planner. I like to rock up and get my FP's for my favourite rides and just ride them multiple times (TOT) for example. I usually get a FP for TOT, while waiting I ride RNRC standby if the line isn't too long, then use the FP for TOT, then get another TOT FP then watch Beauty, by which time I'll grab a bite to eat and then it's often TOT time again. Obviously that doesn't always work, but you get the picture.
Those days are gone.
Now if I don't want to take a chance of availability on the day or ride standby for everything I have to make my selections months in advance, and must choose three different rides, no multiples.
So today my 60 day FP+ window opens up. I painstakingly worked all through my stay and prepared a plan. On the app everything was linked. My resort reservation was there as was my AP ticket. Guess what? The app says:-
You can now make your FP+ choices. Then it says to link your hotel confirmation. I had already done this. Anyway no matter I'll do it again. Nope! It says confirmation number not recognised. Then I try again and it says you don't have valid ticket admission! No worries I'll do it again. Nope! It then says your ticket is already linked!!!!
So I have to phone, but by now of course I'm sure that some of what I want will be gone already. Oh and just in case I was being IT stupid my very tech savvy son tried too and he couldn't do it either.
In short. How can I possibly prefer this new system based on my experience? I'm fed up already and the vacation hasn't even started!

Ok here's an update. It took exactly one hour for two agents to work on the problem!
In fixing it everyone linked to me has had to be taken off and will have to be re-added. My son's email address is no longer being recognised so can't do that until he wakes up, and accepts the request.
All FP+ finally done by the agent. Fab I think!
Wrong. Go back into the app and my MVMCP tickets are all wrong! Try to call again but phone now needs re-charging as has completely died!
What's not to like about this system?

Ok here's an update. It took exactly one hour for two agents to work on the problem!
In fixing it everyone linked to me has had to be taken off and will have to be re-added. My son's email address is no longer being recognised so can't do that until he wakes up, and accepts the request.
All FP+ finally done by the agent. Fab I think!
Wrong. Go back into the app and my MVMCP tickets are all wrong! Try to call again but phone now needs re-charging as has completely died!
What's not to like about this system?

I feel your pain. I've dealt with similar problems in the past. I'm guessing some posters will tell you that this isn't a big deal though and there will still be lots of "pixie dust" coming your way.

Last edited:
Yes I obviously just need to drink some cool aid!
Back to app to find MVMCP tickets are all now OK, but one day of the FP+ has vanished! Doesn't matter too much because I'm going at a slow time, so went back in on laptop not app and got them again!
All our dining reservations made by my son are now missing, but thankfully that's not for the November trip but the January one, so he can deal with that because I've had enough and am going to throw myself off a cliff after drinking the cool aid stuff.
And to think that life used to be so simple. Rock up and put a ticket
in a machine!

I'm not a fan of FP+ and I think it's messed a few things up, but I also think a lot of the new complications are due to the fact that attendance is so far up. Even if we went back to the days of no Fast Passes and same day dining reservations, there would be a lot that we had to wait for or couldn't do because of how many other people want to do the same things. I wish Disney had addressed the crowds issue by giving us more to do instead of implementing FP+, 180-day ADRs, etc.

When we went on our honeymoon in 1988, there were two parks. Magic Kingdom still closed early (like 8:00 pm) the first week of June. AND almost every ride we did was a walk-in or less than 15 minute wait. We loved regular FP and were able to ride all of our favorites multiple times every day without "working the system." We didn't use any secrets. We just started at rope drop collecting a Fast Pass every time our window was ready and using our current Fast Pass within its window. At the same time there were low waits on most of the non-FP rides. I wish that we could have those kinds of crowds again.

The last time we went was just as FP+ was starting. We also noticed that the crowds were much larger for the time period that we went. In fact, I'm sad to say that my college-aged daughter who used to be as Disney obsessed as I am isn't really excited about going back again. She said, if it wasn't so crowded... I still can't wait until we can go back.

I totally disagree with this I think the obsessive planning is not necessary. Room requests are not essential, ADRs are not necessary in advance most restaurants are available the day of. FP+ can be got same day from the desks. There is absolutely no need for the obsessive planning people put themselves through

Planning because it is fun is one thing but if it is becoming a chore cut it back and go with the flow more it can be done I know because I have done it and on a busy week too

I wonder if different perceptions are also a matter of going at different times of the year. I agree that room requests aren't essential, but I disagree that most restaurants are available the day of when we go. Now, I will agree that you can get a same day reservation at SOME restaurant almost any day if you don't mind dining early or late, but I don't think I'd say that most restaurants have availability.

I wonder if different perceptions are also a matter of going at different times of the year. I agree that room requests aren't essential, but I disagree that most restaurants are available the day of when we go. Now, I will agree that you can get a same day reservation at SOME restaurant almost any day if you don't mind dining early or late, but I don't think I'd say that most restaurants have availability.

Yeah, we try to keep things flexible with ADRs. But I find if I want to eat TS in a park, I find that the earlier you can lock those in the better, especially at MK. I guess it's all about how flexible you are with location and timing.

I have to say that all the planning does take a little bit of the fun out of a random day at the park, but it also can make a magical once in a lifetime trip if you keep it loose.

I grew up about an hour from Orlando so Disney was a major part of my childhood, but we never did the full stay on property experience, it was get up early in the morning drive over come home late at night, you just winged it.

Now taking my 3 daughters and not living in Florida I want them to get the full Disney experience basically in one trip. Planning really helps with this, but I have kept it loose. Only 1 ADR per day and usually early in the day, FP spread waaaaaaay out so we don't have to worry about running from one to another, or if the times are close to each other so are the FP's. A little structure to the day means that while we may have snafus or temper tantrums most of the magic has a chance to happen with a little guidance. What if like me you had 3 little princesses that were DYING to meet their Fairy Godmother in training and you just had to take the chance that the BBB would have availability for them. What if they didn't when you showed up? Why not plan just a little and guarantee that they get the royal treatment if nothing else for the whole day.

Don't plan your day to your last breath, I don't "think" that is what Disney had in mind with the reservations and the FP's, just a way to gently guide the magic along.

I wish you all loads of Pxie dust for your up coming trips. We're so close I can almost smell Main Street and taste the Dole Whips. :yay:

Did you actually spend a day in EPCOT and do one ride on Soarin and nothing else? Over how much time?

No. That's my point. If the lines are long, like they were on our July trip, heading to Epcot in the afternoon with 1 Soarin' FP, 1 Spaceship Earth FP, and 1 Figment FP would have resulted in a very boring day. We don't spend much time taking in the sights and simply enjoying the atmosphere and we won't get in a line over 20 minutes. My family wants rides and attractions. If we don't get there early, it's not worth spending the day there. The tiers make it even worse.

As I've said many times, during high crowds, FP+ works great on a day when we don't plan to spend much time in the park. Get in, ride 3 FP rides, then leave.

I've only read the first and last page (and the original article link, of course) and I do find myself sort of agreeing with the article. I've been to Disney multiple times, but this last time, I really did feel kind of pressured while booking things.

I'm a planner in "real life" - and not just "a" planner, a "plan, back-up plan, emergency plan" sort of planner...But the thing about that is: things almost always turn out to be a mish-mash of the original plan and the back-up plan and the emergency plan, and I feel like that flexibility is missing in the new system.

It used to be a case of deciding which park we'll probably be in on which day, with a random unplanned day to rest or make up gaps or just play "bus roulette." We discovered some of our favorite restaurants by booking same-day at the window at the park, and sometimes we changed park plans based on the weather. But if you've made these ride reservations months in advance, you are so invested in them, you don't dare risk losing them.

I guess what I mean is that even though I used to do a lot of research, my "plan" looked a lot more like a flow chart than an itinerary. It was a break from exact schedules, from everyday life, and there were no consequences for stopping to enjoy the spontaneity that can still be found at Disney (and which we now remember to purposely allow for).

And don't get me started on midnight! I'm a zombie after 8:30. :laughing: I do think some of the time worry is an illusion, though. We actually booked our last trip inside the six months, so I just went on in the daytime, and I was still able to get things we liked. - That said, I have a 14-year-old boy, so I wasn't trying for BOG or A&E! I'm sure those were gone, but I think people are afraid everything will be gone.

I'm certainly not going to stop going to Disney over this. We visit family in Florida, so we're nearby anyway, and we've been enough times to get past the fear of missing out on something if we change our minds. But I definitely see how some people would be scared off.

I'm not a fan of FP+ and I think it's messed a few things up, but I also think a lot of the new complications are due to the fact that attendance is so far up. Even if we went back to the days of no Fast Passes and same day dining reservations, there would be a lot that we had to wait for or couldn't do because of how many other people want to do the same things. I wish Disney had addressed the crowds issue by giving us more to do instead of implementing FP+, 180-day ADRs, etc.

When we went on our honeymoon in 1988, there were two parks. Magic Kingdom still closed early (like 8:00 pm) the first week of June. AND almost every ride we did was a walk-in or less than 15 minute wait. We loved regular FP and were able to ride all of our favorites multiple times every day without "working the system." We didn't use any secrets. We just started at rope drop collecting a Fast Pass every time our window was ready and using our current Fast Pass within its window. At the same time there were low waits on most of the non-FP rides. I wish that we could have those kinds of crowds again.

The last time we went was just as FP+ was starting. We also noticed that the crowds were much larger for the time period that we went. In fact, I'm sad to say that my college-aged daughter who used to be as Disney obsessed as I am isn't really excited about going back again. She said, if it wasn't so crowded... I still can't wait until we can go back.

Attendance increases without adequate attraction additions is the real problem. Which is why they had to invent a ride rationing system called ironically, fastpass PLUS. I guess higher crowds (-) * closed attractions (-) = +. It all comes back to basic math. :)

That week after Memorial Day has always been my favorite time to visit. Mainly because of lower crowds and Star Wars weekends.

I still look forward to going (my next trip is Columbus Day week - that has been crazy crowded recently), but ticket prices startled me this year. If they keep going up, you might get your wish of low crowds again. Honestly, I don't I think I can afford them anymore.

Depends... what do you get for the Disneyland breakfast experience? A "safari guide" (a dedicated cast member instantly doubles the price), breakfast buffet backstage (getting to go where others don't get to go hikes the price, too), and a private ride on the Jungle Cruise where you can try your hand at "being a skipper". So, it's more like a tour, and has been priced accordingly!

Since AK already has the Wild Africa Trek ($250), I was figuring a Yak and Yeti reserved seating/fastpass package would be priced something like the more comparable Fantasmic dinner package or the Candlelight Processional dinner package. Plus, events tend to start off looking semi-affordable (Wishes Dessert Party) and then after a year or two they get popular and Disney hikes the price. ;)

There is a premium for driving that boat!

-they had to invent a ride rationing system called ironically, fastpass PLUS. I guess higher crowds (-) * closed attractions (-) = +. It all comes back to basic math. :)

If you want to get technical, the "basic math" equation would be (-) + (-) = (-)

(And, that's the outcome I think of, anyway.)

I'm not gonna argue bit I totally disagree I've been watching it most of this year and very little is unavailable day of. Even BOG is frequently open same day.

I don't know if it changes since they charge for no shows but I do know this year most things have been open day of.

I'm not gonna argue bit I totally disagree I've been watching it most of this year and very little is unavailable day of. Even BOG is frequently open same day.

I don't know if it changes since they charge for no shows but I do know this year most things have been open day of.

For my family nothing was available in DHS and MK during March and July day of. During free dining events places get tough to find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter