Cam's New Lease on Life Journal (comments welcome!)

Cam, anyone who can eat fresh strawberries at CF instead of cheesecake is on the road to success! I am very impressed. And to have such a tiny amount of birthday cake is also very impressive. I think you did great!

It always blows me away to see the calorie counts at restaurants. No wonder we are an obese nation with the way we eat!

I am so sorry the pain is so bad with PT but you have the right attitude. Have you given any thought to working at home so you can take the painkiller regularly? Hang in there, you are doing great and being a real trooper!:thumbsup2:hug::flower3:

Thank you, Amy! Fortunately, the strawberries at CF are huge and juicy and better than candy, so I definitely did not feel like I was making any kind of sacrifice. :cloud9:

Work is busy enough right now that it just wouldn't be as productive to work from home, so I am only using the pain medicine at night and only if the pain is bad enough that it is keeping me awake.

Last night was the first night of water therapy and it went really well. I was able to walk around in the pool just holding on to the safety bar that goes around the perimeter. Within about 10 minutes of doing that, though, my knee was so swollen that I could hardly bend it because the skin was so tight. It was weird to be able to see the suture lines going across the incision scar because of the swelling when those are not normally visible at all. So, then I did some "resting" and flexing before doing hip strengthening and other standing exercises in the water at the safety bar.

After PT Anthony helped adjust my brace and showed me how to place it so that it properly restricts the knee range of motion. I think everything went really well. I know my knee got a great workout because once I was home, I was barely able to move it or walk on it which I'd done easily just 90 minutes before.

It took a lot of courage to put on a bathing suit and do that stuff in the pool, but since I'll be doing that 2x next week, I'll get over it, I'm sure.

On a happier note, I was down another pound this week and that was with eating all sorts of wonderful foods, just in moderation. I feel like I am back in the groove on my quest. In 4 weeks, I've lost 9 pounds (well, more than that, but I'm using my pre-surgery weight since post surgery was much higher probably due to IV fluids and lying around so much. So, 9 down!!! Not even going to think of how many more I have to go. Just taking it a week at a time.

Fresh strawberries instead of cheesecake?!?!?! :worship: WONDERFUL job, Cam!!!:cheer2:

I'm glad that the water therapy went well for you last night. :goodvibes

Congrats on the weight loss!:cheer2:

I hope you have a nice weekend.:hug:

Food yesterday:
b: coffee, yogurt w/ almonds
l: green salad with Greek dressing: leftover Thai chicken pasta
s: cupcake
d: grilled carrots, veggie burger, grilled chicken

Food today:
B: coffee, turkey with veggies on whole wheat roll.
D: too many tortilla chips w/salsa; 1/3 chimichanga; bean burrito; refried beans; rice; diet coke & rum :)
dessert: gelato

Hey Cam, your food looks spot on! You eat a very varied and healthy diet.

Your thoughts on the CF strawberries got me to thinking about how perception plays a big role with the foods we choose. I love strawberries and truth be known, really good ones in particular are a treat to me, moreso than cheesecake in all reality. But of course I perceive they aren't a treat and would think "I'm here, I gotta go for the cheesecake"!

Its a good reminder to eat what we love and if its the healthier option, that's even better!

I hope your weekend is great!:goodvibes

Cam - Huge congrats on your 9 pounds!!!! I was thrilled with my 2.5. I know I don't have your self-control/discipline, though. great job!!!!

Thanks, Amy & Carrie!

Well, I certainly had little self-discipline this weekend. Too many splurges but even then I was aware of them.

Food Sunday:

B: coffee
L: 1/2 chicken salad sandwich on portuguese roll; too many chips & too much hummus; lots of watermelon
D: (Famous Dave's) chicken wild rice soup; cornbread; tri tip sirloin; 2 chicken tenders; baked beans; bites of potato salad; mini corn on the cob

EEK!!

Well, it's a new day and I am back on track and being very attentive and conscientious about what I put in my mouth.

Our weekend was nice but busy and it involved a lot of delicious food. Our friends came Friday night and they left at 5 a.m. Saturday to drive with Andrew to Saint Augustine, Florida, where he had his first college interview and tour this morning.

Howard and I went to NY on Saturday to visit friends and for him and one of our friends to do a 1/2 marathon together yesterday. We left home around 11 and since we were on the road for 4 hours, we both got burned to a crisp. I'd taken off my summer sweater and rode up in a tank top, so I ended up with a funny burn line from the seatbelt across my upper chest and round white spots from the stones on the necklace I was wearing. LOL! We had a great afternoon and evening and went with our friends to their favorite mexican restaurant, where Howard had 2 margaritas and I had a rum & Diet coked that I diluted across 2 other diet cokes since it was pretty strong.

We were up early yesterday to go to the 1/2 marathon and it was fun to hang out with a bunch of WISH friends there.

Since I was on my feet so much yesterday at the race and even went on the beach with my crutches, I was in so much pain on the ride home and went to bed as soon as we got home. It's a bit better today.

The big news here is that I drove to work today after working out last night in the garage how to get in and out of the car. I have to put the driver's seat as far back as it goes to get in and then gently move it forward, but I did it. I was totally exhausted by the time I got to my building (not sure how I'll fare grocery shopping tonight), but I like the flexibility of driving myself.

Food today:
L: 1/2 chicken salad sandwich; green beans
S: yogurt w/sliced almonds
S: weight watchers cheddar twists
D: 2 leftover chicken tenders; 1 small serving stuffing; kashi southwest chicken meal

It's 1:25 and I've already had more than 70 oz of water and I'm hoping to flush all the effects of rich, fattening foods out of my system.

I am also going grocery shopping tonight for the first time in 5 weeks (today is 5 weeks post-surgery). I am looking forward to buying lots of healthy foods.

Wow, Cam! You are brave! But we already knew that! I don't envy you for your grocery trip tonight tho. Don't overdo!!

Sounds like you had a nice day trip to NY.

Have a great rest of the week. Thankful you are healing!!

WOW Cam 5 weeks already that is great.I have missed alot of the journals lately I just wanted to pop in and see how things were going.

I guess the fact that you were at the grocery store says you are doing pretty well.

Have a great day,
Linda

Wow, Cam! You are brave! But we already knew that! I don't envy you for your grocery trip tonight tho. Don't overdo!!

Sounds like you had a nice day trip to NY.

Have a great rest of the week. Thankful you are healing!!

Thank you, Julie! :hug: Grocery shopping was tough last night, but we put my crutches in the cart and I leaned on the cart while Howard pretty much reached for anything not at eye level for me. I know that I'm still not able to do that on my own, but I'm going to stop there tonight on my way home to use a $5 off coupon while Lean Cuisines are 50% off. I'll use a tote bag over my shoulder and no cart so that I can manage on crutches. The good thing is that we now have lots of healthy options in the house and lots of quick meals, which is important for me.

WOW Cam 5 weeks already that is great.I have missed alot of the journals lately I just wanted to pop in and see how things were going.

I guess the fact that you were at the grocery store says you are doing pretty well.

Have a great day,
Linda

Thanks for stopping by, Linda! :hug: I am still not weight-bearing on the left leg and I can't get around without the brace but I can definitely tell there is great progress.

The awesome news is that except for overdoing it Sunday, the pain at night is totally manageable and I haven't had to even consider using pain medicine. Of course, tonight is physical therapy so I have to expect some pain afterwards, but it is in the pool tonight and Thursday night, so I am really optimistic that it won't be too bad.

Okay, so all the "bad" food and all the sodium from the past week is showing up on the scale. I am up 3.5 pounds from Friday, which I know isn't "real" but it is a real eye opener. It probably doesn't help that I drank over 100 oz of water yesterday and am feeling very bloated, too. I did well on food yesterday, but really need to continue to be very conscientious.

Food today:
L: salad w/FF dressing; sandwich thin with 2 slices turkey & 1 slice FF cheese
S: light yogurt w/sliced almonds, 100 calorie special K fruit crisps
S (after PT): apple
D: whole wheat noodles w/corn, rotel & grilled chicken strips, watermelon
dessert: 100 calorie snack mix

I hear you on the water bloat. I stopped counting at 100 oz yesterday & it was mid afternoon. What a double edged sword water is. Food plan looks spot on. Be cautious at the store tonight, as I know you will.

Hope today is going well!

Cam, you did some splurging but to me it wasn't a jaw dropping kind of thing. And you had fun. Rum and diet coke is my drink of choice, great minds think alike!:rotfl:

That 3.5 pounds will be gone soon, once that water starts moving on down the line.

I'd like to see a picture of that tan line!

That's great your ds is looking into colleges in Flordia. What a nice place to go visit your son! What a great time of his life this is.:goodvibes

Great news that you can drive to work now, that must feel good!

Woohoo!!!:woohoo: That is great news that you are able to drive yourself to work now and that your pain has been manageable the past few days!!! :hug: We continue to pray for your healing, my friend. :hug:

That's great that your DS is looking at colleges in Florida! How did his interview go?

I hope your pool therapy goes well tonight!:hug:

Thanks, Julie, Amy & Tracy!!

Well, it looks like I ate a lot of food yesterday, but I wasn't over on my points. I think I just have to eat more earlier in the day so that I am not so hungry late afternoon through the evening.

Tracy -- Thanks for asking. Andrew's interview went very well, though I think they liked him more than he liked the school. It just doesn't have the major he really wants and there is no music major, so he can't even create an interdisciplinary major. I hope he still applies there and gives them a chance to entice him with scholarships.

We have to make plans to go visit his top schools -- American U in DC, University of NC, James Madison (VA), Belmont (Nashville), and some closer to home -- Drexel (Phila.) and Drew (north Jersey). I am overwhelmed thinking about squeezing in all those college visits, especially the ones that will require a weekend trip. :eek:

Food plan for today:
B: coffee; apple (1)
S: yogurt w/almonds (2)
L: green salad w/grilled chicken & FF dressing (2.5); green beans w/almonds (.5)
S: watermelon (1)
D: whole wheat noodles w/grillled chicken, corn & rotel (6); WW pasta entree (6)
dessert: pretzel crisps w/WW cheese wedge & 2 slices FF cheese (6); skinny cow ice cream mini-cup (3)

OUCH!!! Wayyyy over on points!

OMG Cam!!! It just sunk in for me that your DS will be going to college soon! I even asked you about his college visit and it still didn't sink in for me that he will be heading off for college until now. Where has the time gone?!?!?!? He's a senior this year, right?

Your food is looking good!!!:goodvibes How is your leg feeling?

Hope you have a nice day today!:hug:

Yes, Tracy, he is going into his senior year. I just dont' know where the time has gone.

Food yesterday was so bad. I arrived home so hungry and essentially ate a second dinner when I popped a WW entree into the microwave and grabbed a small container of Tuesday's leftovers from the fridge. Stupid, old bad behaviors are NOT going to become a part of my life again. I kicked the overeating at night thing over the past 6 or 7 weeks and I don't want to kick that habit again.

Food today:
S: apple
L: LC panini; green salad; SF jello
S: yogurt w/almonds
S (before PT): WW chocolate muffin
D: rice pilaf w/veggies; grilled chicken strips

Cam, I am glad your son's interview went well, he must be a really on the ball kid to have so many schools to choose from. Good for him, how exciting!

Some days we just eat more, I think when we come home starved its always tough to do well. I bet you didn't do nearly as bad as you think, esp if one of your meals was a WW entree!

Old habits can sometimes creep in here and there but I know you'll stay strong and make it right back on track!:thumbsup2

Cam good luck on the college search- we just did that for DD 18- she leaves on Aug 17th.It is killing me.We just came back from a mother/dtr trip to the world for EE a couple weeks ago. Yes where has the time gone??? Even though they are getting older WE are NOT right???
She is going to be in NY 40 mins from the city- she is a soccer player and they gave her the most money- not our or her first choice but the $ talks these days you need to take it.

As far as the eating goes it is like being on a roller coaster I swear.I did the same thing yesterday came home starving and then ate what I should of walked away from.

Have a good one,
Linda

Linda -- Good luck to your DD!! It is awesome that they are paying her to play soccer. I hope it is a wonderful experience for her. :banana:

Amy -- Thanks for the encouraging words. I reminded myself of what I posted about not falling back into bad habits, and I thought about your post, and I ate a reasonable dinner last night and then went upstairs to do some small chores, played "Words with Friends" with some friends, and read in bed for a while. How's that for getting right back on track? Thank you! :hug:

Food today:
B: coffee, watermelon; vitatop apple crumb muffin top
S: yogurt w/almonds
L: green salad, grilled chicken; LC panini
S: apple
D: grilled chicken; cajun rice & bean mix
Dessert: skinny cow ice cream cup

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter