Can I more or less wing this trip?

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
Travelling to Universal in 5 days! First timers. I've been so focused on the WDW part of the trip since that's more in my wheelhouse. I also hear there is so much less planning needed for Universal, but now that's it's here, EEK!

Staying at RP, 2 1/2 park days, have the park-to-park tickets, EP and an access pass for my son. I have the app downloaded as well. I know each morning where we will be starting. We do not have any dining booked. I have watched walk through videos of both parks and have also printed our rides to understand which ones are more VR based. Kids have also starred some of their interested rides.

We are travelling with another family who has zero interest in planning, but at the same time, I know will complain/be vocal. So part of me is like - what is the point of planning?

There aren't any must do's - and our view is - have fun, see what we can see, ride what we can ride, and try to get some relaxation in.

Advice? Or shoot me some ideas to focus on for the next couple of days. Thanks!

Have fun!! With the EPs and access pass, that will help a LOT on getting rides done. A few suggestions just more for awareness/semi-planning.
Look over menus ahead of time to get general idea of what the QS places offer, so no wasting time when lunch rolls around, and everyone wants different stuff. We now sometimes opt to split up/eat from different places. We used mobile order easily on the last trip
Have extra time for possible meet/greets, if y'all are into that. Universal has some really fun ones. Also lots of time for wandering WWoHP
Even if not planning a lot, have some sort of back up plan for the morning. ie. plan is to do early entry for Hagrids, but when you get to Hagrid's, it's down.....what do you do next, wait it out, move on, etc. Have seen a LOT of disagreements (and may have participated in a few.....) when group is unsure on what to do when plans change, esp for EE.
It's certainly not like Disney planning, and EP will help SO much, but I think it's still important to have awareness of the parks, the app, menus, rides, etc. and also be up for unforeseen things/changes to plans.
Have fun. Universal is awesome!!!

Have fun!! With the EPs and access pass, that will help a LOT on getting rides done. A few suggestions just more for awareness/semi-planning.
Look over menus ahead of time to get general idea of what the QS places offer, so no wasting time when lunch rolls around, and everyone wants different stuff. We now sometimes opt to split up/eat from different places. We used mobile order easily on the last trip
Have extra time for possible meet/greets, if y'all are into that. Universal has some really fun ones. Also lots of time for wandering WWoHP
Even if not planning a lot, have some sort of back up plan for the morning. ie. plan is to do early entry for Hagrids, but when you get to Hagrid's, it's down.....what do you do next, wait it out, move on, etc. Have seen a LOT of disagreements (and may have participated in a few.....) when group is unsure on what to do when plans change, esp for EE.
It's certainly not like Disney planning, and EP will help SO much, but I think it's still important to have awareness of the parks, the app, menus, rides, etc. and also be up for unforeseen things/changes to plans.
Have fun. Universal is awesome!!!
OK - great idea. I think we should get together with our friends and at least plan some general things out. Questions....

For all the days we are there, there is only early entry at Islands. Is this normal?
Why do the parks close so early? Or am I just used to later hours at Disney?
I believe xmas stuff starts on our last night there (the 12th).....should there be any planning around that?

Thanks for the tips - I have the same type of thing, two and half days at the beginning of my trip at RP. I did universal with Express Pass on my last trip for two days and I barely planned anything and I was able to ride everything except Hagrids because it was broken for nearly the entire trip.

Looks like you have everything taken care of! The only thing I can think of would be to just check show times of anything you'd be interested in to get an idea of when they are. Many, like Bourne, stop running in the late afternoon, so don't plan on doing those in the evening!

I would say if you want to use early entry (especially for WWHP) then those might be the days you really “plan”. Now that you are post HHN and I’m assuming VB it might be too cold for, you really don’t need to worry about making reservations for dining or cabanas or anything like that.

Disney has lots of Character Dining which need reservations. Universal doesn't have any - except for the Grinch Breakfast during Christmas time. And that's almost completely sold out now.

Most of the Universal Dining is in CityWalk and are restaurants you can find elsewhere. So there isn't as big of a demand.

And there are no special Dinner-and-an-event stuff at Universal. No Fantasmic Dinner Package, No Candlelight Processional Dinner Package, No Firework Desert Packages, etc.

There is only one event, I think, remaining after Covid at Universal - and that's the Luau at the Royal Pacific.... which is held once a week.

There are far less things to do at Universal. It's good and bad. A lot less planning, which is definitely good.

Just as an FYI to add into your planning - the 2 water rides in Toon Lagoon will get you soaked. Not may or wet, but *will* and *soaked.* They're a lot of fun and I do recommend them, just be prepared. Jurassic Park will generally just get you semi-wetted on the top half, and thus can be ridden whenever you're wandering past. The other two are great for right before a hotel break, or when you've brought a change of clothes for that purpose. Note even if it's warm out, soaked + lunch break in AC = very chilly humans.

I would also suggest if you want to do a sit down meal at CityWalk, and you want to do it around park close or "typical" dinner times - you will likely want to have a reservation, especially for a larger party or for Friday/weekends/popular places (Toothsome, Bigfire).

EP truly means no planning needed. We don’t even do early hours because of them unless my son wants to do velocicoaster since it’s not on EP. EP is so amazing compared to Disney. Though with DAS you may not be quite as impressed.

Know when the shows are so you can time them if you want to see. We enjoy them all.

My sons favorite thing is to ride spiderman or men in black over and over and over when EP lines super low.

We found online ordering made quick service eating easy. The restaurant at the RP pool GREAT so we often went back for a lunch/swim. We don’t care for Toothsome so we never worried about reservations and just ate where we could.

Oh and yes unless summer universal always closes earlyish. And yes normal for early entry to be Islands.

As long as you have an idea of what you want to do in terms of food, rides, shows you should be fine. Almost nothing is scheduled or booked in advance, so you can figure it out as the day goes . During my trips, we would make a list of what we wanted to do that day during breakfast. Things might change during the day due to how we are feeling, or ride closures, especially if it rains but that's to be expected.

Something that tends to freak out WDW veterans are the lockers. Some of the rides require lockers. It's not a big deal. They are part of the queue or right near it. Unless you have a giant backpack or diaper bag you will be fine.

I do universal alot. With Express Pass, your all set on in-park planing. You go on the rides when you want, no booking time slots, just walkup and go. SOOOO much better than WDW. Only thing to remember is Hagrids and Velocoster are not included - i suggest Rope dropping Hagrids, than do Velocoster right after. (best to do during early entry)

For restaurants. the only ones I'd suggest to advance reserve are Cowfish and Toothsome. Those you should reserve now if you want to dine during prime times.

For access to resort, take the boat, or you can take 10min walk, but we always prefer boat since we do some walking in-park.

If you get a chance to head over to Portfolio Bay resort, try Sals' Pizza. LOVE IT!

also, what is access Pass? Not familar with this..

Last edited:
OK - great idea. I think we should get together with our friends and at least plan some general things out. Questions....

For all the days we are there, there is only early entry at Islands. Is this normal?
Why do the parks close so early? Or am I just used to later hours at Disney?
I believe xmas stuff starts on our last night there (the 12th).....should there be any planning around that?

yeah, not all that uncommon for US/IoA to close at 7PM during not so busy/non holiday times. IoA closing at 6 might indicate a private event or something. Also not uncommon to have just one park doing early entry. Keep an eye on the app. It might change to include another park, maybe if crowds increase, but I wouldn't count on it.
have a great trip!

Last edited:
I'm always hyper focused on weather and this time around, the reports are worrying me since all the sites say "watching the tropics" and showing 90% chance of rain/wind on two of our park days. How is Universal in the rain - I can tell there are still a lot of indoor rides, so that's good.

For restaurants. the only ones I'd suggest to advance reserve are Cowfish and Toothsome. Those you should reserve now if you want to dine during prime times.
If you want to eat at Mythos (in IOA), I'd also recommend reservations unless you are going during a less crowded day and an off eating time. My daughter loves to eat at Mythos, but even here, we don't usually make reservations until after we arrive for our trip. We don't plan out the meals months in advance. But if you are going during a more crowded time and you want to eat at a sit-down restaurant at a traditional "meal" time, reservations can be helpful.

In general, I agree with most of the responses. No real need to pre-plan out which park on which days and which rides at which time. Just get up and decide what you want to do that morning and not worry about how to minimize your wait times while maximizing ride times.

If you want to eat at Mythos (in IOA), I'd also recommend reservations unless you are going during a less crowded day and an off eating time. My daughter loves to eat at Mythos, but even here, we don't usually make reservations until after we arrive for our trip. We don't plan out the meals months in advance. But if you are going during a more crowded time and you want to eat at a sit-down restaurant at a traditional "meal" time, reservations can be helpful.

In general, I agree with most of the responses. No real need to pre-plan out which park on which days and which rides at which time. Just get up and decide what you want to do that morning and not worry about how to minimize your wait times while maximizing ride times.
I decided to grab Mythos last night! I was very surprised to get a reservation for 8 of us at a great time so last minute.

I'm always hyper focused on weather and this time around, the reports are worrying me since all the sites say "watching the tropics" and showing 90% chance of rain/wind on two of our park days. How is Universal in the rain - I can tell there are still a lot of indoor rides, so that's good.
If it’s raining. Spend time in USO. Almost all the rides are indoors.

Given when you're going - pretty "off-season" - WING AWAY. We went to Disney this summer, and compared to that - ADRs, Genie+, ILL, extra hours, no hopping until 2, park reservations required, etc etc etc, the relaxedness (yeah, that's a word, maybe) of Universal is almost a shock to the system.

Here's my advice - if you feel like it, get up for early entry, although as noted above that is really only of benefit at Hagrid's. Velocicoaster is open then, too, but it's not as popular, and it moves the line very well. And hitting those two near close is probably as good a strategy as lining up early.

Oh, and more more tip. Again, if you feel like it, one of your days get to the Studios side at, say, 8:30AM. EE is for 8AM at IOA on your dates - that will draw the resort crowd like a magnet. You can basically walk right up to the Studio's gates, and be at the front of the line when they open - which is often, even normally, ten or fifteen minutes before the listed time of 9AM. Now, with EPs, and the park not being very busy this time of year, getting there early is not necessary at all, but it does given you the opportunity if you high-tail it to the back of the park to wander around a near-empty Diagon Alley.

Given when you're going - pretty "off-season" - WING AWAY. We went to Disney this summer, and compared to that - ADRs, Genie+, ILL, extra hours, no hopping until 2, park reservations required, etc etc etc, the relaxedness (yeah, that's a word, maybe) of Universal is almost a shock to the system.

Here's my advice - if you feel like it, get up for early entry, although as noted above that is really only of benefit at Hagrid's. Velocicoaster is open then, too, but it's not as popular, and it moves the line very well. And hitting those two near close is probably as good a strategy as lining up early.

Oh, and more more tip. Again, if you feel like it, one of your days get to the Studios side at, say, 8:30AM. EE is for 8AM at IOA on your dates - that will draw the resort crowd like a magnet. You can basically walk right up to the Studio's gates, and be at the front of the line when they open - which is often, even normally, ten or fifteen minutes before the listed time of 9AM. Now, with EPs, and the park not being very busy this time of year, getting there early is not necessary at all, but it does given you the opportunity if you high-tail it to the back of the park to wander around a near-empty Diagon Alley.
Great advice. I was curious about going to the opposite park as early entry. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter