Can't anything be done about the speed of this site?

Most of the time I find it goes at a good speed.

A few times it seems to take forever.

I have multiple tabs going with different boards in each.

Now that's a good idea. It was become terribly slow once again and as much as I enjoy it, some days it seems I am wasting too much time.

Sometimes your computer gets tied up in knots after you have worked with it for awhile.

I'm a member of a multitude of other boards for
Audio, Video, Photoshop... and other Disney boards (imagine that ;)) and I can have them open in other windows at the same time as the DIS.

They continue to operate at "instant response" speed while the DIS is still churning away trying to open its next window.

I have 3 kinds of active browser apps, and multiple computers.
Same situation with any of them.

I will say, though, it seems to have been a little better in recent months. I recall when I first started visiting disboards, there were times when the site itself would report back user overload and say to try back later. I don't get that NEARLY as much anymore. In fact I'm having a hard time recalling the last time I got the overload messages.

I almost wish that it would time out or let me know to expect delays. Then I would know if I should go away and come back later or wait a few more seconds. Life is short and I feel guilty enough about spending so much time in front of a computer, but add to that blankly staring at that little hour glass flipping about is almost unbearable.

I have to admit that many times I well just go to a different message board out of frustration. One other thing that bothers me is that I cannot sign off the site without having every thread automatically mark itself as read. I can't always devote the time to reading every thread I might like before I have to do something else (like work for a living). When I come back I don't know what I have read or what I haven't. It's a small thing, I realize, and DIS has a lot of really nice features, but the slowness and the loss of place in line (so to speak) can be very discouraging.

I'm a member of a multitude of other boards for
Audio, Video, Photoshop... and other Disney boards (imagine that ;)) and I can have them open in other windows at the same time as the DIS.

They continue to operate at "instant response" speed while the DIS is still churning away trying to open its next window.

I have 3 kinds of active browser apps, and multiple computers.
Same situation with any of them.

ROBO, I also feel this site is too slow more often than not. How do members get someone from the site to respond and address this ?

pirate:

ROBO, I also feel this site is too slow more often than not. How do members get someone from the site to respond and address this ?

In a way...I think that's what we are doing right now. Hopefully someone will hear.

Actually, the powers that be at the DIS are well aware of this issue and have made numerous upgrades and "adjustments" over the years to address it.

It actually IS better than it used to be, but it can still be aggravatingly, exasperatingly, painfully, irritatingly, mind-numbingly, disappointingly...

S

L

O

W

;)

One of their biggest problems is that they are using vbulletin as their forum software. the script itself is a resource hog. Next some of the ad banners uses flash, meaning action script needs to be parsed from another site, slowing things down as well.

At least some of you can access it during the day. When I want to check in mid-day I'm forced to do so on my iPhone because it is blocked at work. Even slower then! :laughing:

The problem is at the DISBoards server(s) not on a PC running a browser. It has has been mentioned that the site is having database issues. I don't know if that is true or not but it would make sense.

I have gotten blank pages quite a bit this week both at home and from work. The network is not the problem at the browser side. Usually the site is just slow but this week has been worse than usual.

There is another website I have been on for almost 10 years and another for close to 15. That is ancient in Internet years. :lmao: I don't think those two two sites have been down/slow/served blank pages more than two dozen times in all of these years.

To be fair to the DISBoards they get a huge amount of traffic. According to the post I saw in another thread they are aware of the problem and its being worked on.

Memory problems. I used to program on systems that had 4K of RAM. Yes 4K. 4,096 bytes. Still amazes me how much memory we have in our MP3 players and cell phones! :rotfl2:

Later,
Dan

The problem is at the DISBoards server(s) not on a PC running a browser. It has has been mentioned that the site is having database issues. I don't know if that is true or not but it would make sense.

I have gotten blank pages quite a bit this week both at home and from work. The network is not the problem at the browser side. Usually the site is just slow but this week has been worse than usual.

There is another website I have been on for almost 10 years and another for close to 15. That is ancient in Internet years. :lmao: I don't think those two two sites have been down/slow/served blank pages more than two dozen times in all of these years.

To be fair to the DISBoards they get a huge amount of traffic. According to the post I saw in another thread they are aware of the problem and its being worked on.

Memory problems. I used to program on systems that had 4K of RAM. Yes 4K. 4,096 bytes. Still amazes me how much memory we have in our MP3 players and cell phones! :rotfl2:

Later,
Dan

According to Bill Gates 640 kb should be enough RAM for anybody

Maybe you need a new computer no problem here, very fast

No, I don't need a new computer. :)

It's the site. Like Robo, I can have three other tabs open at the same time and have absolutely no problems with the speed of other boards.

This site is the problem, not our computers.

I agree its not your computer..it is the site and I think it has to do with traffic as well.

some moments are better than others. I usually open another window and look at something else while disboards in loading..its a pain but until they fix it that is what I am doing. I do admit I am posting less frequently not because I dont want to but because I literally cant sometimes

I have to agree that the site is slow, painfully so at times. I too always have another page open to look at whilst threads here are loading. At the moment it is moving quite quickly for me, but one thing I have noticed is that if I log on at 9:15am UK time (5:15am Orlando time) I can never get on, it always comes up with unable to connect to website until around 9:20am. Not sure why, but when I was on holiday from work this happened at this time of day every day for several weeks. Now I no longer log on until after 9:30am.
I know the owners of this site have done several upgrades to the site over the years and they are aware of the problem and have tried to fix it. But the problem is still here.

I used to have that problem, but I just got a new Gateway Desktop with a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor & it is lightening fast now !!!! LOVE this new computer !!!! Everything is SUPER fast !!!!:santa::santa::santa:

I also am using a new laptop. It makes no difference. It's still slow. Some days are better than others. I notice evenings (eastern time) are dreadfully slow. Daytime is a quicker response for me.

I just bought a new laptop and was hoping for increased speed on this site and no deal.

I was looking how to turn off all the moving icons, photos and banner ads.

People love to add them to the end of their posts and put them in the body of a message but I can't help but think it just drags the speed down.

If the site wasn't so gosh darn good I would throw it in the trash can.

I have to admit the speed issue does limit the number of times I come onto the site.

On fark.com they offer the basic site for free (including BB) but have a subscription service of $ 15 or $ 20 a year with extra stuff.

I'd pay an extra $ 5 or $ 10 to get the site run faster. I think this is one of the best sites on the internet other than the speed issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter