Caribbean Beach is a Dump!

I'm on a FB group for CBR. Lots of people have given live reports or recent trip reports and the vast majority reported having great trips without any issues at the resort. Group members are primarily people from the UK where 2 week long stays are not uncommon. Their reports have made me feel much better. I think it was also there that I read they expect to have the regular food options back up by the end of December (but that could have been on disboards).

As for the tent and food trucks, I don't get the great offense from either. From the videos I've seen, the tent looks like something used for a nice outdoor wedding. Food trucks might not be quite as trendy as they were 5-6 years ago, but where I live they are still popular and generally seen as a place to get good food. I think of food trucks differently than the old fashioned carnival food trailers that sell corn dogs and cotton candy. Maybe we each have a different interpretation of food truck based on our experience.

I had to extend my trip by one night and couldnt remain in my hotel due to NO AVAILABILITY. For some reason Nov 30 - Dec 1st there is nothing available with a discount except Saratoga Springs (1 Bedroom Villa). So I have to pay rack rate for my one day and resort hop. My choice was AoA (Little Mermaid Room) Seemed really far walk and if Im going to stay there I want to try one of the suites. PoP Century (had a preferred pool view booked) but I just called Disney and changed it to CBR. Its only 40 dollars more than POP and the only amenity I will use is the pool. Cast member told me the pool bar will be open in November.

So off to CBR for 1 night at rack rate with construction. Just seemed more my style then POP Century.

CBR was our first resort in August 2000 and we loved it! I'm sure the construction is a bit of a hassle but when my kids were little we loved the food court and the beach areas. Transportation to parks was good and the room was great for young children. Tho' I haven't stayed there in 17 years it is the place where our family Disney memories started and I'm glad that some guests still have great things to say about it.

We originally had CBR booked fir our trip next week, but changed when a CM told my TA about the construction before it went public. Our plans this trip are heavy on pool time, and that's the only reason we changed. Had we been planning a park heavy trip, we would have stayed. We love CBR.

They got a few things wrong though. One big one. Old Port Royal is not gone. It's closed yes but the building is not gone. Barbados is gone. Old Port Royal, the building, is remaining. The tent is not in the place where the building was. How do they not know that? These are TA. They should know what is gone and what is not gone.

I think they needed to do a bit more research to at least know the pool wasn't being worked on, or going to be worked in, since it was worked on recently. They are TA and should know this.

And I can't believe they say "put the gift card on your magic band". Surely they know you can't put anything on a magic band. Again, as TA they should know that you don't put things on a MB

Interesting thing we were at CBR for the 20th too. Thankfully, not in the same building they were in because our phone, Internet, TV worked. So whatever issue they had it was not widespread. We would have not been happy to have the Internet out. TV wouldn't matter, we rarely turn it on. Phone either.

I find them to be ignorant about a lot of things. Shockingly so, especially for "experts" and for TAs. I often listen to the podcast and think, "No! You don't know what you're talking about! That's wrong!" I applied for a TA position with them once, and wondered how they knew the applicants had the knowledge required when they didn't even know it.

Nor would I. Who pays rack rate at Disney? Surely no one

Me for one day next week. :-( We added a day to our trip and I wanted to make sure we were on property, preferably at a Deluxe, and rack at WL was the only thing that opened up after 2 days of trying.

Last edited:
Our very first time to WDW in 1989, we stayed at the brand new CBR. The fact it was the first moderate made it possible for us (DH and I and our DS's 3.5 and 5.5) to stay on property. We had a great time and the only reason we don't stay in WDW resorts anymore is that Shades of Green exists. We can't beat $155/night (DH retired as a O-6) for a full up hotel with large rooms. On our trip to CBR, since our boys were young, we always were back to our room before 8 pm, so we took the boys to the pool right outside our building. It was so nice to have that quiet pool for them to play in. I wish I could remember which section we were in. I just remember we had a ground floor corner room and the parking lot was not far from our room. We drove to FL that trip so we had brought snacks and cereal for breakfast. We ate lunch and dinner in the parks so the food court wasn't that important.

We traveled to CBR on July 5th. I didn't know about the construction because I booked with travelocity. I got a rack rate. I did not get the $75. gift card. When was that offered? Anyways, I love CBR. I would go during construction for the discount. I was disappointed about the meal situation and not having a proper gift shop. I missed my salmon dinner that I usually get there. The buffet dinner only had small pieces of cod type food for fish entree. The price was $20. per person. That's more than I would pay in the past for one person. We did get a good room location at Jamaica. Usually, booking with an outside vendor, we are usually far away from the center of town. I was never told at check in about the constuction. I still had fun, but wish I got the gift card. Do you think I can still get one?

We traveled to CBR on July 5th. I didn't know about the construction because I booked with travelocity. I got a rack rate. I did not get the $75. gift card. When was that offered? Anyways, I love CBR. I would go during construction for the discount. I was disappointed about the meal situation and not having a proper gift shop. I missed my salmon dinner that I usually get there. The buffet dinner only had small pieces of cod type food for fish entree. The price was $20. per person. That's more than I would pay in the past for one person. We did get a good room location at Jamaica. Usually, booking with an outside vendor, we are usually far away from the center of town. I was never told at check in about the constuction. I still had fun, but wish I got the gift card. Do you think I can still get one?
No, you will not get the gift card now. It was only for people that booked many months ago, and it would have been waiting for you at check-in if you were entitled to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter