Caribbean Beach is a Dump!

I have to say if I stayed there I would be a little disappointed with how they choose to set up food an shopping areas myself. I have stayed at 2 resorts during construction times , POR during the lobby construction and Poly during the quiet pool reconfigure. I don't think I would be very happy dinning out of a food truck either.

What would be a better set up? I'm trying to think how they should have handled it, and besides closing the resort or not doing the construction, I'm coming up blank.

I don't think CBR is a "Dump", however I would agree with the OP about the lack of "Disney" theme. I guess with three kids the oversized animation of the values is what gets them excited when we get there.

However I would def. Stay at CBR on a trip with just my wife.

What would be a better set up? I'm trying to think how they should have handled it, and besides closing the resort or not doing the construction, I'm coming up blank.

Other then closing the resort, I don't think there is another way to handle it. I think they've done the best they could under the circumstances.

But I just looked at those videos and that whole area of Centre town (walls, rooms set up as grab n go, souvenir truck, buffet tent, etc...) looks like a dump to me....dreary and unpleasant. I agree with the OP's assessment.

While you are right he can use whatever word he wants, does the word "dump" accurately portray the state of the resort to those who haven't seen it?
Be honest, when you see the word "dump" to describe a property (anywhere, not just at Disney) what do you picture in your mind?
Is it a tent for food and a trailer for drinks or store, while not ideal, fully intact and not in any way shabby or falling apart?
Just might it be a bit of hyperbole? Might there be a better phrase to use to be more accurate to describe it to those who haven't seen it?

Sure- I think a tent for food and trailer for drinks or a shop is pretty dumpy. I would be cool with it at a state fair or a carnival. Not at a hotel I am paying for, even under construction. I've stayed at many hotels with construction and some were dumpy and some were not. But what I personally honestly think, is really irrelevant. The OP thinks it was dumpy during his stay. The fact other people disagree with him doesn't make him wrong or mean he should not use the word "dump". Even if it is hyperbole, so what? So are the terms "pixie dust" and "disney magic" and no one gets jumped on for tossing those terms around. :)

My brother's family just got back from 10 days at CBR. They are not frequent visitors and had never stayed at any moderate before and they loved it. They loved the pools and the breakfast buffet & food trucks.

They were aware of the construction, got the GCs for each night and made the best of it. I do think not having stayed there before probably made it easier to overlook what was missing.

Sure, it's his opinion. I think it's hard because people have a variety of experienced. An event tent and a food truck aren't what I think of when I hear dump. I've seen people living in pretty horrific conditions so my definition of dump includes rats, feces and bugs. I understand I might have higher dump standards.

Omg! If that is what I experienced even knowing it was under construction I too would call it a dump!!! Sounds like Disney treats moderate construction much different than deluxe. I truly belief Disney treats the masses differently at moderate and value resorts. Not saying you can't have issues at a deluxe but you would not experience this at GF, Poly, of Contemporary!

Sure, it's his opinion. I think it's hard because people have a variety of experienced. An event tent and a food truck aren't what I think of when I hear dump. I've seen people living in pretty horrific conditions so my definition of dump includes rats, feces and bugs. I understand I might have higher dump standards.
That must be it. When I think dump I think falling down buildings, holes in walls, rats over running everywhere, flea ridden rooms.

I think a better set up would be that no one pay full rate. I think the cost of this resort should be the same cost as a value resort for all guest staying here during construction.

And how is that a better set up? How does that fix the dumpiness? So making sure people were aware of the construction and giving them a gift card that roughly equals a third of a stay wasn't sufficient? Ok.

Omg! If that is what I experienced even knowing it was under construction I too would call it a dump!!! Sounds like Disney treats moderate construction much different than deluxe. I truly belief Disney treats the masses differently at moderate and value resorts. Not saying you can't have issues at a deluxe but you would not experience this at GF, Poly, of Contemporary!

They don't treat"the masses" differently at moderate and value resorts. I can't think of a time where Disney has totally shut down the whole front end of any resort. They are doing construction at CSR too and I haven't heard anyone call it a dump. In fact, a few family members just got back from a stay at CSR and had nothing but good things to say.

Truly, how many people would be happy if CBR was shut down? You can't tell me there wouldn't be complaining because A-people still wanted to stay there and B-some people would be upset if people who had booked CBR were walked to more expensive resorts at the moderate rate. This was truly a lose-lose for the most part. I guess they should have just not tried to do anything to the main areas of CBR and left them as is. So people could complain about that too.

By Disney standards it's a dump. If you want to spend your money there be my guest. If you are used to staying at quality Disney properties you'll probably be very disappointed in the accommodations provided. You can watch all the videos you want but until you actually stay there you have no idea what it's really like.
I have stayed there. 10 nights at end of May, first of June.

Oh. There are issues with the guest rooms, too?
No, nothing being done to any guest room or even to any occupied buildings. Only unoccupied ones.

Would I be rude to ask the room rate? I'm willing to give up things for "a deal," but if the discount doesn't offset the inconveniences....well, I could be irritated like the OP.

Rates vary greatly based on promos but ours was less than most values

We are booked to be there in September. My understanding is that the construction doesn't affect the rooms or pool areas. Is this still true? Can anyone who knows the resort or has been there lately recommend the better areas to request? We will be driving, so access to an us stop isn't as important as distance from pool, construction etc. Thanks!

No work done on pool at all or any occupied areas of the resort. Jamaica is a good area to request

When we originally booked this resort then we heard about the construction and no gift shop is a biggie for me we were going to change resorts. But then they offered $75 gift card each night and I thought to myself well seriously how long are we actually at our resort. All we need is a bed and a pool and we are happy. The gift shop well I guess I will have to go somewhere else. We never eat at our resort and if we do it's usually something small. And they have added more refill stations so that's a plus. I'm still happy with staying at Carribean Beach the videos don't scare me

I have stayed at CBR twice and I enjoyed it quite a bit both times. We had a trip booked for August and once we heard about the refurb we decided to change our res to the Poly, even with the 75 dollar card being offered. This was in large part due to the fact that we intend on spending a good amount of time at the resort and aren't commando touring the parks. If we were only sleeping there and not taking advantage of amenities, I would not care and I would stay.

I am glad some folks had good construction stays. Staying here soon for just a short visit and look forward to the kids enjoying the main pool!

Sounds like a dump to me, although I've always thought Caribbean Beach looks dumpy. The rooms anyway. There are several mods I'd stay at before staying at CB, with or without construction.

We just got back from a week there. We don't normally eat at the hotel anyway so that wasn't an issue. I did end up eating breakfast there one morning and it was similar to Chef Mickey or Hollywood & Vine food wise. Yes it is a tent and doesn't have the atmosphere, but it was also relatively cheap for a Disney buffet.

The rooms are fine. They aren't being torn up while you are staying in them and are similar to other moderate rooms. We stayed in Aruba, it was quiet, the kids swam in the pool, no construction noise.

I went to the MarketPlace in Aruba one night just to see what it was. There were chips and other small items so not the end of the world ... maybe a little cheesy, but hey if you stay at FW in the cabins you have to travel for a snack and this was close.

I don't go to Disney for the resort, I go for the parks. I usually am just in the room to sleep ... we had a sick kid this trip so I was in the room more, but no issues.

We had a UOC so it was less than $200 a night tax included for five people - cheaper than many off property hotel chains that sleep five. Also making it the cheapest on property choice. For what I use the hotel for I don't think the construction made any difference.

That being said CBR isn't my favorite Disney property - but it had nothing to do with the construction.

CBR is not a dump; most of the resort is intact and still provides the island look and feel that the resort has always had since it opened in 1988. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but it would be much better if we could all be civil and respect each other.

By the way, since the construction was first announced, there have been tons of reports, videos, photos, posted on line.

And, in case anyone asks, yes we are regular CBR visitors (most recently in February 2017), and we are checking in for our next vacation in just about 5 weeks. We choose to dwell on the positive and are looking forward to another magical island vacation.

Nope, not even close. If I post what it sounds like I will get points.

Another poster suggested they should have closed the resort. I would agree too, but as one of the largest resorts, where do you put all of those displaced guests? And many people simply don't care and are not bothered by the construction, and were happy to get the $75 gift cards. I'm sorry, but it doesn't take much imagination to be able to tell if the normal food areas being closed would bother you or not.

I agree. Personally, I avoid construction at all costs, so I would not have chosen to stay at CBR, but I remember the flock to get the discounted rooms when it was clear there were significant room rate reductions and gift cards as incentives. There is information on the website, so I guess I do not understand why the OP was upset.

I have to say if I stayed there I would be a little disappointed with how they choose to set up food an shopping areas myself. I have stayed at 2 resorts during construction times , POR during the lobby construction and Poly during the quiet pool reconfigure. I don't think I would be very happy dinning out of a food truck either.

When the Ceremonial House was under construction at the Poly there were a lot og guests who were not at all happy about the inconvenience and the mess and noise. I imagine when OPR is completed at CBR the disruptions will be less noticeable. It really does depend on what stage construction is at when you stay and where you are located.

I think a better set up would be that no one pay full rate. I think the cost of this resort should be the same cost as a value resort for all guest staying here during construction.

Have you looked at the rates? They have been reduced. No one is paying rack rate at CBR. People have a choice to stay or to choose different lodging, and honestly many choose CBR due to the lower rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter