Cases rising or dropping by you?

The scary part is that 15% of today's new cases come from Florida alone.
Apparently, CA didn't want to be left out. 😥 And we're having major problems (in my area at least) with a testing backlog -waits for results sometimes taking 10-14 days. It's a mess.

ETA: Only Kaiser Permanente is turning around in 2-3 days and those are all doctor ordered.
Also, for reference CA is averaging 105,000 tests a day, so our percent positive isn't as bad as other states. But still...

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...15-20-intl/h_585a36233cc455a35b31359d007e2a99

Last edited:
My county just reported it's first death and 6 new hospitalizations. That may not sound too bad to some but we are a small county and we haven't had more than 6 total hospitalization total before today since this all started.

And we're having major problems (in my area at least) with a testing backlog -waits for results sometimes taking 10-14 days. It's a mess.

Here too. The entire state is having issues from what I have seen. The testing numbers my county has been putting out are a mess. It makes it really difficult to get a full accurate picture.

Tennessee here. My state is seeing very high daily numbers, and we've had over 8000 new cases statewide between Sunday-Wednesday of this week. Not every county is as badly affected, which is the only good news in this since we've seen many rural hospitals close down over the last few years.

Massachusetts here! We are continuing to make an amazing, hard fought recovery. We paid the price early on with shattering numbers and sadly many lives lost. As a nurse I witnessed more sadness and suffering than I ever have in my career. I pray we continue to move in a positive direction as we move through Phase 3. Proud of our citizens and hope they continue to do what is best for their communities. Our governor was a true leader in this fight. Sending support and prayers to the states who are experiencing a surge ❤️

The numbers flat out don't look good today.
17 states over 1,000 A record.
Texas, Florida, California, Arizona, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Ohio, Virginia, and Tennessee.
New York was just 8 shy of being #18.
7 states over 2,000. A record.

70,000 new cases and 924 deaths with some data still to come in.

From down thread

I am hoping that we don't. Maybe just a fool's hope.

Curious where you got the data? Michigan only had 891 new cases reported on 7/15/20.

Curious where you got the data? Michigan only had 891 new cases reported on 7/15/20.
I am not the poster you quoted, but worldometer has Michigan at 1,049 for yesterday. I know that when they post Massachusetts numbers, they include the antibody positives as well which makes the numbers appear higher on that site than on the local cdc website where they are listed separately. Maybe it’s something like that for Michigan too?

I am not the poster you quoted, but worldometer has Michigan at 1,049 for yesterday. I know that when they post Massachusetts numbers, they include the antibody positives as well which makes the numbers appear higher on that site than on the local cdc website where they are listed separately. Maybe it’s something like that for Michigan too?

I believe that is number of positive tests, but only 891 were new. I saw the 1,049 number too, the rest were those who were already positive but are testing to find out when they are 'cured'. Just another reason why the data can be so confusing. I live in Michigan and everything I saw made sure to explain what the two numbers meant. I just wondered where they are posting the larger number without the explanation. It really makes a difference.

Several state sites lag behind their regional and local data. That means this site may catch things before they appear in official state counts. In that case, this site will count more than the state did. But as the state catches up, as California did yesterday a bit, the state will count more than this site (which caught it faster)
In other states, that pretty much stay even with their regional and local data this site will match official counts.
Also this site has a hard close time each and every day and it stays the same. There is no state X is late, let's wait.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/about/

Several state sites lag behind their regional and local data. That means this site may catch things before they appear in official state counts. In that case, this site will count more than the state did. But as the state catches up, as California did yesterday a bit, the state will count more than this site (which caught it faster)
In other states, that pretty much stay even with their regional and local data this site will match official counts.
Also this site has a hard close time each and every day and it stays the same. There is no state X is late, let's wait.

Fortunately, we may not have to worry about when or how the numbers are updated. All the data will be funneled and then distributed by the White House.:sad2:

Perhaps with some Actual Over-site these ...Mistakes? ...Incompetence? of Over reporting, under reporting, different types of reporting will become clear and transparent and actually make sense. They should All be reporting the Same way .. it just makes sense.

Looking at their definitions, it appears that they just count confirmed positive cases, not new positive cases. Since people often need a negative result (or in some cases, two negative results) to return to work, they will be tested more than once. One person could potentially be responsible for 3 or more positive tests. That data is misleading and I wish they would only report on NEW cases. I agree with the above, it would be nice if everyone was reporting the same way.

Fortunately, we may not have to worry about when or how the numbers are updated. All the data will be funneled and then distributed by the White House.:sad2:

Just to clarify....
Hospitals are now no longer reporting data to their states. The reporting system is now sending numbers to the Fed gov, and the states will pull data from them.

But, the hospitals are not—yet—forbidden from releasing their own data to the public individually. It will take more effort for news outlets and data compiling websites to continue monitoring county and statewide information, but the capability is still there for now. And it will be possible to check against the federal data. We’ll see whether hospitals are also told not to release their own numbers publicly.

Florida reported almost 14,000 new cases today, our second-highest day so far.

I don't think the Disney re-opening spike has started yet, although Orange County cases were up sharply today. I'm expecting those new cases to really start hitting around the beginning of next week.

Does anybody know where the bulk of the Disney CM's live? It would be interesting to know, so we could compare the zip code numbers as the Disney cases start to come in.

It would also be interesting to see any reports of Disney CM's testing positive.

I don't think the Disney re-opening spike has started yet, although Orange County cases were up sharply today. I'm expecting those new cases to really start hitting around the beginning of next week.

Does anybody know where the bulk of the Disney CM's live? It would be interesting to know, so we could compare the zip code numbers as the Disney cases start to come in.

It would also be interesting to see any reports of Disney CM's testing positive.
It's really all over. Orange County, Osceola County (Kissimmee), Lake County (Clermont), Polk County (Davenport).

At the local watering hole? Oh wait. You meant where their houses are.

The federal government cannot stop hospitals from reporting their numbers to local or state authorities or to the public in addition to the feds. And to be honest with you, though I am suspect as to reasoning, I never really got numbers from the CDC because they were very slow. The numbers will come out. Maybe the feds think they can stop them from coming out. But they'll quickly find out they can't. More likely what they want to do is muddy the water so nobody trusts any numbers.

Looking at their definitions, it appears that they just count confirmed positive cases, not new positive cases. Since people often need a negative result (or in some cases, two negative results) to return to work, they will be tested more than once. One person could potentially be responsible for 3 or more positive tests. That data is misleading and I wish they would only report on NEW cases. I agree with the above, it would be nice if everyone was reporting the same way.
The amount of multiple positives is not all that big compared to the total. And most places are only counting the first one in their aggregate figures. And why would they count multiple positives? They have an interest in keeping figures down not increasing them. You think the governor of state X is in meetings saying hey you know people are upset at 8k positives and my approval is down to 51%. Let's count multiple positives and increase that to 16k so my approval can tank!!!! Um no. Multi positives are not affecting the count enough to amount to much.
As for foreign counts, I really can't vouch for those. But if country X counts multiples, it's not like worldcovidcounting dot com is going to get them to change that. And like it or not when data is being collected from around the world and from multiple states, it is not all going to be the same. Foreign countries are a different place. They do things differently there. That is simply a fact of life. And in fact, if every single site out there had the same exact count, I'd be very suspicious. In fact I'd think that instead of counting themselves they all got lazy and used one source. And if everyone is using just one source, there is no independent verification of the numbers. This way, we see that they are all fairly close and nobody is fudging things in a very big way.

The amount of multiple positives is not all that big compared to the total. And most places are only counting the first one in their aggregate figures. And why would they count multiple positives?
Right. If you're trying to count NEW cases, you don't count old cases. Pretty basic concept.

To count all positives would distort the numbers a little, but I agree it's a small part of the total anyway and probably not worth worrying about.

Massachusetts here! We are continuing to make an amazing, hard fought recovery. We paid the price early on with shattering numbers and sadly many lives lost. As a nurse I witnessed more sadness and suffering than I ever have in my career. I pray we continue to move in a positive direction as we move through Phase 3. Proud of our citizens and hope they continue to do what is best for their communities. Our governor was a true leader in this fight. Sending support and prayers to the states who are experiencing a surge ❤

I've been watching the figures in Massachusetts, and it's wonderful to see the trends. Whatever you've done, others should follow. I'm originally from central Massachusetts, and still have an 88 yo Mom there. Meanwhile I'm stuck down here in Texas, where our county has quadrupled the number of daily new cases in 2 weeks.

You can watch counties: Orange, Osceola, Lake and Polk being the closest, but it's hard to pinpoint a neighborhood.

I haven't seen any reports about Disney, Universal or Seaworld employees getting sick, but who knows if they're being asked about the parks? "They" (governor, mayor, department of health) keep saying that the parks are doing a great job, but I can't get a straight answer from anyone about whether or not they're actually asking about theme parks when someone (employee or guest) tests positive. Because of that, I think they are not asking that question.

Orange County jumped up to 21,000+ cases today. That's up 7,000 in 10 days.

I tried to see what Orlando's actual numbers are, and their Covid-19 page says this:

"UPDATE
June 30, 2020 - The data on this page is provided to us by the Florida Department of Health. As of June 26, 2020, we have not received updated data. We will update this page once we begin receiving the data from FDOH. "

Last edited:
You can watch counties: Orange, Osceola, Lake and Polk being the closest, but it's hard to pinpoint a neighborhood.

I haven't seen any reports about Disney, Universal or Seaworld employees getting sick, but who knows if they're being asked about the parks? "They" (governor, mayor, department of health) keep saying that the parks are doing a great job, but I can't get a straight answer from anyone about whether or not they're actually asking about theme parks when someone (employee or guest) tests positive. Because of that, I think they are not asking that question.

Orange County jumped up to 21,000+ cases today. That's up 7,000 in 10 days.

I tried to see what Orlando's actual numbers are, and their Covid-19 page says this:

"UPDATE
June 30, 2020 - The data on this page is provided to us by the Florida Department of Health. As of June 26, 2020, we have not received updated data. We will update this page once we begin receiving the data from FDOH. "
Here's the state page.

https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86
You can select Orange County in the box in the upper right and get the detail for the county. It's a little confusing in some sections, however, because you're checking a county, but some of the numbers shown are statewide numbers -- particularly testing.

You can also select the Zip Code tab and zoom in to get more detail. I'm not too sure how meaningful the zip code info is, tho. At least here in Miami, the zip codes cover such a large geographic area that I haven't been able to make much use of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter