Castaway Cay - Sharks?

Two weeks ago while at Castaway Serenity Bay I waded quite a way out. To my chagrin a three foot long barracuda approached. I just stayed in place and it swam on past. Others took note and along with me quickly made it back to the beach.

Hi all. Brand new to posting, but long-time lurker. I have a question about Castaway Cay.... is the island protected by a shark net or anything of that nature? Sorry, I know it's a goofy question, but I have a cripping phobia of sharks :scared: I'm contemplating booking a cruise and want to know how safely I may frolic in the water there. Thanks for any input and thank you in advance for not mocking me too much. :laughing:

As others have mentioned CC does has a shark net but as an avid and frequent scuba diver I rarely see sharks and when I do they have never bothered me nor have I felt threatened by them. Sharks have gotten a really bad rap and you have nothing to fear.

There is no "net" at Quiet Cove. About the only thing I personally have seen there was a couple of stingrays and a sea slug.

Actually lots of sharks around! Mostly nurse sharks. We did the bottom fishing excursion last Sept (LOVED IT) and they chum the waters. Lots of sharks came and ate the fish we were catching right off our hooks. Had to move the boat to right next to the adult beach to loose some of them. Finally the men put heavier line on and started catching them. Cool and great photo ops. So yup, sharks. As the boat captain said, it IS the Caribbean ya know!

Can you bring your own mask and snorkel? Do they charge for the life vest if you bring your own stuff?

HNW999 said:
Can you bring your own mask and snorkel? Do they charge for the life vest if you bring your own stuff?

Yes, you can bring your own equipment, but you are required to wear a snorkeling vest. They are free and readily available all over.

Wow great thread! I wonder if there are certain times of the year that you see more wildlife. Some refer to the non protected beach as the adult beach. Are children allowed? My teen son would love to check it out!
Anyone know what kind of starfish can be found?

Wow great thread! I wonder if there are certain times of the year that you see more wildlife. Some refer to the non protected beach as the adult beach. Are children allowed? My teen son would love to check it out!
Anyone know what kind of starfish can be found?

The "adult beach" is Serenity Bay, and on our cruise it was the only place where adults only was strictly enforced.

I can not tell you how much this thread and everyone sharing their experiences with the kinds of wildlife they encountered on CC has gotten me excited for our upcoming double dip in October!!! :goodvibes

Maybe I am a freak, but I can't WAIT to get in the water again! :woohoo:

Yes, you can bring your own equipment, but you are required to wear a snorkeling vest. They are free and readily available all over.

No snorkel vests at Serenity Bay (adult beach), and no snorkel rental there either. You can snorkel using your own gear or bring over gear that you've rented, but if you want a vest you need to bring it over from one of the family beaches. I wish I'd have known this last Sept, so hopefully it helps someone else!

We were on CC yesterday. I was a beautiful day. Spent the day on SB.

I was sitting at the edge of the water looking at the clear aqua color and there was a tiny baby shark just swimming along all by himself.
Amazing to see. He went back and forth for about 15 minutes or so.

Also when we were bike riding along the bike path, there was a crab just crossing the path in the most beautiful conch shell.

Barracudas do like shiny things. Once when I was a young teen we were swimming in the Keys some small barracudas started trying to nibble at my toes. I had some sort of shiny polish like mother of pearl or silver on my toenails. My mother thought it was hilarious. :rolleyes2

As much as the thoughts of barracuda, sharks and stingrays freak me out I still can't wait! I've never seen water that clear! Here on the coast of GA you can't see 6 inches through the water! I also figure that you never hear of bad stuff happening and with all the tourist every year that is pretty good!
I am bummed out that we will miss SB since my DS will be with us. Oh well maybe next time.
:cool1:

As much as the thoughts of barracuda, sharks and stingrays freak me out I still can't wait! I've never seen water that clear! Here on the coast of GA you can't see 6 inches through the water! I also figure that you never hear of bad stuff happening and with all the tourist every year that is pretty good!
I am bummed out that we will miss SB since my DS will be with us. Oh well maybe next time.
:cool1:

Based on your child's age, there is always child care or kids programs that would allow you to spend a little bit of time at SB.

No snorkel vests at Serenity Bay (adult beach), and no snorkel rental there either. You can snorkel using your own gear or bring over gear that you've rented, but if you want a vest you need to bring it over from one of the family beaches. I wish I'd have known this last Sept, so hopefully it helps someone else!

Does that mean you don't have to wear the DCL supplied vests there, or just that they don't have them there and you need to bring them?

Good idea. I guess we will play it by ear. Love this thread though. Lots of good info.

I wonder what wild birds you see.

Does that mean you don't have to wear the DCL supplied vests there, or just that they don't have them there and you need to bring them?

I don't know official policy, but when we were there Oct 2013, you didn't have to wear them. The only people we saw snorkeling (as well as us) did NOT have them. Nobody said we couldn't snorkel or that we had to have a life vest if we wanted to snorkel. There are not lifeguards at Serenity Bay.

When we asked at SB about snorkeling, we were told there was no snorkeling there and snorkeling was at the family beach. I knew I'd read here about people snorkeling at SB, so we just went out on our own and went to where others were and found some neat things to see!

Barracudas do like shiny things. Once when I was a young teen we were swimming in the Keys some small barracudas started trying to nibble at my toes. I had some sort of shiny polish like mother of pearl or silver on my toenails. My mother thought it was hilarious. :rolleyes2

Note to self, no shiny polish for my trip to Mexico next week. :thumbsup2 Or on any other water based vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter