CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the state of California the one who is making the decision on how many doses go to each county? My region of 1.2 million gets more than that a week so I wonder how California is determining the number of doses being distributing to each county?

Our county supervisors have expressed frustration at the small amounts of vaccine they are sent every week NUMEROUS times. They say they cannot get a straight answer from the state on how vaccine is allocated and why they get so few. They wanted to have 5 super POD vaccine sites up and running by now and have so far only been able to get 2 reliably supplied with doses. The majority of vaccine doses here have gone to 65+ residents. We have something like 850,000 residents over 65 here. There are still health care providers here not fully vaccinated! I really don't understand the inequity in how vaccines are allocated in this state. There are counties already vaccinating people with high risk conditions because they have completed all their other tiers. Meanwhile we only started teachers last week.

Are you in OC?

According to the OC website (https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/vaccines-administered-oc), around 750k doses were administered and more than 500k of those were complete with a second dose. For a population of 3 million, I would say that is a heckuva job so far.

It's really not, though. That number doesn't even cover all the 65+ nor all the health care providers. We have 850,000 residents 65+ alone! Many are still struggling to get appointments.

Is your state actually administering Moderna and J&J to under-18? Those two vaccines weren’t tested and approved for under-18 yet.

Not sure about the poster you quoted, but in my state they will direct you to the sites using the Pfizer vaccine if you are under 18. There are disclaimers and qualifying questions when signing up.

Our county supervisors have expressed frustration at the small amounts of vaccine they are sent every week NUMEROUS times. They say they cannot get a straight answer from the state on how vaccine is allocated and why they get so few. They wanted to have 5 super POD vaccine sites up and running by now and have so far only been able to get 2 reliably supplied with doses. The majority of vaccine doses here have gone to 65+ residents. We have something like 850,000 residents over 65 here. There are still health care providers here not fully vaccinated! I really don't understand the inequity in how vaccines are allocated in this state. There are counties already vaccinating people with high risk conditions because they have completed all their other tiers. Meanwhile we only started teachers last week.
Same here. There was an article in our local paper yesterday that said we have the capability and staffing to do 40K a week, but have only been getting 7K a week. We’re a county of 500,000 people.

Not sure about the poster you quoted, but in my state they will direct you to the sites using the Pfizer vaccine if you are under 18. There are disclaimers and qualifying questions when signing up.
That is the same here.

I am sorry that things are so frustrating in California. I was frustrated with NY when they began to vaccinate non health care workers and nursing home residents but things have definitely improved. In my region with 1.2 million people we are running 2 sites - one is vaccinating 1,000 people a day and the other is doing 800 a day. That does not include the sites that are an hour away from us. One of which is 24/7 currently. Over night they are giving the J&J and during the day it is Pfizer. I have to say in NY once they get the vaccine they push it out to the public as fast as they can. One has to wonder if the state is keeping some back.

It's really not, though. That number doesn't even cover all the 65+ nor all the health care providers. We have 850,000 residents 65+ alone! Many are still struggling to get appointments.

Understood.

But, know that CA is about equal to the US average when it comes to % of population fully vaccinated at ~9%. Orange County is more than 15% fully vaccinated. If OC was a state, OC would be the leader in % fully vaccinated.
Majority of the US is having it worst with vaccinations than your area.

Same here. There was an article in our local paper yesterday that said we have the capability and staffing to do 40K a week, but have only been getting 7K a week. We’re a county of 500,000 people.

I think that's happening everywhere, not just in CA. The way distribution plans are being implemented seems to result in inevitable inequities. It seems like it would be simple enough to allocate based on percentage of the population, but what do I know?

My county got an extra 500 doses this week from the state equity program, which brought our weekly total to just over 1100. And for all the hype about improved vaccine availability, the number of doses per week has actually trended *downward* in my county for each of the last three reported weeks; our allocation peaked the first week of Feb., when medical systems were still receiving priority allocation for nursing home and assisted living residents and staff, and has dwindled as eligibility has expanded. We have about 160K residents and the state's fifth-lowest vaccination rate among counties (and by no coincidence at all, I'm sure, the sixth-highest rate of new cases). But I'm sure the fact that so many residents of our county commute in to the Detroit metro for work and are or will be eligible there based on work connections influences the allocation formula.

Go Alaska! Almost 50 per cent of the total population is vaccinated. They have been ahead of the pack all along, but this i awesome!

Go Alaska! Almost 50 per cent of the total population is vaccinated. They have been ahead of the pack all along, but this i awesome!
Where are you seeing 50%? Their dashboard shows about half that at 25.2% with 1 dose (age 16+).

I was also reading Alaska is NOT being treated the same as the rest of the U.S. They are being treated like a territory and got all their vaccines one month at a time instead of weekly. Didn't know that. Alaska has their own set of uniqueness but one thing that probably helped a lot was the vaccine allotment up front and they didn't struggle with health care worker vaccine shortages like so many other states that stalled out so many states for a while in the very beginning.

This is from the local news for the MO side, Arrowhead will be used as a mass vaccination site on the 19th and 20th and "Two Missouri National Guard teams will be deployed to help facilitate the event, which will run from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m both days. The clinic at Arrowhead will use the Johnson & Johnson single-dose vaccine, which was developed by its subsidiary Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Officials said 3,000 shots per day will be allocated for the event."

I'd say a good usage of a single dose vaccine :)

This is from the local news for the MO side, Arrowhead will be used as a mass vaccination site on the 19th and 20th and "Two Missouri National Guard teams will be deployed to help facilitate the event, which will run from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m both days. The clinic at Arrowhead will use the Johnson & Johnson single-dose vaccine, which was developed by its subsidiary Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Officials said 3,000 shots per day will be allocated for the event."

I'd say a good usage of a single dose vaccine :)
That is what Indiana is doing with our J&J vaccine. Had a mass clinic at IMS (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) this past weekend and vaccinated over 16,000 Hoosiers!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter