Channel Tunnel Fire

I'm actually quite freaked out about this.
we mostly travel with eurotunnel, and always in between trucks and vans as we have a tall vehicle with a pop-up camping roof.
we came back on saturday morning.

why is it they always check cars for camping gas and yet there was something flammable in a truck?
and did the truck tip over?

i suppose i'd just like more facts about it really. i would hate to be put off eurotunnel as i'm sure it's more low-carbon than flying.

They would do if what they did for us was anything to go by, they organised a train to only take eurostar passengers from DLP to the airport with all the staff leading small groups around the airport to the special chartered flights checking in desk. We were never left alone.

So from my view point you have nothing to worry about, juts be pre prepared for a bit of queuing, so have you snacks ready!!!!

What exactly happened when you arrived to get your Eurostar, bet there was a few panicky people etc....Did you have to pay extra to fly home etc?

I'm not worried bout being stranded there, more worried that I'll get to Ashford and the train gets cancelled. I can't see Eurostar organsing us flights over instead.

Nope, I only checked the news briefly to see if Eurostar trains were running.

Sky news are still calling Disneyland Resort Paris EuroDisney.:confused3

I know that always bugs me.... I have to correct ppl!

What exactly happened when you arrived to get your Eurostar, bet there was a few panicky people etc....Did you have to pay extra to fly home etc?

I'm not worried bout being stranded there, more worried that I'll get to Ashford and the train gets cancelled. I can't see Eurostar organsing us flights over instead.
Itll be fine.... It they were to cancell it you'd know about it before you go... they will also be perpared and will lay on an alternative anyway....

I know that always bugs me.... I have to correct ppl!

I should ring up Sky news and inform them of there mistake lol.

Itll be fine.... It they were to cancell it you'd know about it before you go... they will also be perpared and will lay on an alternative anyway....

I will be ringing Eurostar the day before to check anyway, but I'll be keeping a close eye on there website etc.

I've stopped worrying so thats the good thing. I'll worry when I get to the station lol.

Latest Statement from Eurostar

EUROSTAR PRESS STATEMENT - RESTRICTED SERVICES ON SATURDAY 13 SEPTEMBER AND SUNDAY 14 SEPTEMBER

Eurostar is operating a restricted, temporary timetable through the Channel Tunnel, using the single tunnel that is unaffected by fire. Travellers should check in as normal for the train times given on their tickets, and we will seek to carry them on the first available train.

However, travellers should expect significant delays before boarding their trains, and crowded departure lounges. Journey times will also be longer than normal.

Tomorrow (Sun 14 September) Eurostar expects to run up to 10 trains each way on London-Paris, up to five trains each way on London-Brussels, and the daily service each way between London and Disneyland Resort Paris. Trains will also call at Ashford International, Ebbsfleet International, Lille and Calais.

Travellers holding tickets for travel between 13 and 16 September who have non-essential journeys are able to exchange their tickets for a later date, or get a full refund.

Travellers departing St Pancras International should note that check-in will CLOSE at 18h45 (GMT) until further notifice.
Travellers departing Paris Gare du Nord should note that check-in will CLOSE at 20h00 (CET) until further notifice.
There will be continuing alterations to the timetable, as Eurostar adjusts its services to manage high levels of demand and the reduced tunnel capacity. In the meantime, Eurostar thanks travellers for their continuing patience and understanding.

I'm actually quite freaked out about this.
we mostly travel with eurotunnel, and always in between trucks and vans as we have a tall vehicle with a pop-up camping roof.
we came back on saturday morning.

why is it they always check cars for camping gas and yet there was something flammable in a truck?
and did the truck tip over?

i suppose i'd just like more facts about it really. i would hate to be put off eurotunnel as i'm sure it's more low-carbon than flying.

My mum spoke to my uncle who works for Eurotunnel. Apparently the chemical lorry didn't catch fire. The lorry in front of it breaks overheated & set fire to the tires on it. The miracle thing is whilst the actual train was burnt to practically nothing no other lorry caught fire.

You will never travel with the lorries/trucks as they travel on the freight train.

I unfortunately got caught up in this coming back home, I was leaving at 7.30 and the fire begun at 5.30 !!. Eurostar were great though and very helpful. We were delayed for 24 hours and put up in the holiday inn and then flown home!

It may take a bit longer to get there but everyone will still get to the magic, getting home they're very organised and yes there may be some queueing involved but nothing to bad. We're englsih and use to queueing!!!

Just take some extra baby milk and nappies just in case if needed. They sorted everything else

Excellent customer service :)

My mum spoke to my uncle who works for Eurotunnel. Apparently the chemical lorry didn't catch fire. The lorry in front of it breaks overheated & set fire to the tires on it. The miracle thing is whilst the actual train was burnt to practically nothing no other lorry caught fire.

You will never travel with the lorries/trucks as they travel on the freight train.

Wow...

I wonder how bad the damage is and how long it will take to fix.

We were looked after very well by Eurostar last night as we missed our train from St Pancras back to leicester. The journey took 4 hrs in total as it had to stop for about 45 mins at Lille as they had to have authorisation to go through the tunnel, (which stank by the way like petrol/fumes) and they had a time slot to go through. When we got to St Pancras we were told to go to the Eurostar desk as they would help everyone out. There were about 20 people waiting and they just ordered taxis for everyone to take people home:thumbsup2

Only waited around 20 mins from being seen by a member of their staff to getting in the taxi:thumbsup2
Really excellent customer service, couldn't have asked for anyting else

Arrived home around 3am this morning, cab fare had £320 on the meter:scared1:

The cabbie said Eurostar have an account with them, he was lovely and wouldn't even accept a tip off my DH, bless!

Karina

thanks tennisfan
:thumbsup2

dh is wondering why they are able to transport chemicals like that as they aren't allowed in the caldecott tunnel near berkeley.

We were looked after very well by Eurostar last night as we missed our train from St Pancras back to leicester. The journey took 4 hrs in total as it had to stop for about 45 mins at Lille as they had to have authorisation to go through the tunnel, (which stank by the way like petrol/fumes) and they had a time slot to go through. When we got to St Pancras we were told to go to the Eurostar desk as they would help everyone out. There were about 20 people waiting and they just ordered taxis for everyone to take people home:thumbsup2

Only waited around 20 mins from being seen by a member of their staff to getting in the taxi:thumbsup2

The cabbie said Eurostar have an account with them, he was lovely and wouldn't even accept a tip off my DH, bless!

Karina

Thats fantastic customer service - a taxi from London to Leicester

Karina

Thats great customer service:thumbsup2

I will say one thing though I would hate to be the insurance company for the lorry that caused the fire. They are going to be hit with a huge bill:eek:

thanks tennisfan
:thumbsup2

dh is wondering why they are able to transport chemicals like that as they aren't allowed in the caldecott tunnel near berkeley.

I think they are allowed due to the amount that is being transported between the 2 countries. Its the same as the Blackwall, Dartford tunnels etc you can transport chemicals & flammable stock through them & many others throughout the country.

A big thumbs up for Eurostar customer service :thumbsup2 and glad you managed to get home safely Karina. :)

Emma I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and Kyra, I'm sure you'll get to DLP and hopefully not too late, sending you both a little bit of fairy dust for good luck. :tinker:

hi everyone,
just wanted to say that i'm glad everyone was looked after coming back from dlp and got home safe and sound, and for everyone going, have a fantastic time, however you get there. fingers crossed that there won't be too many delays. xxxxxxxxxxxx

I rung Eurostar yesterday and the lady reasurred me that the Disney train will be running and only with a slight delay.

The Eurostar website has the times of the trains leaving and a new arrival time, its a extra 45mins on the train to Disney according to the website which isn't too bad.

That's great news, i can cope with a 45 mins extra on the journey.

Mind you i wouldn't have minded too much being one of the people who got stuck at DLP and got to stay an extra night.

That's great news, i can cope with a 45 mins extra on the journey.

Mind you i wouldn't have minded too much being one of the people who got stuck at DLP and got to stay an extra night.

Me neither LOL.

I'm just glad the train is running, i can now look forward to going...Even though there is a delay it doesnt bother me, I'll still be there in time to watch the parade:goodvibes

Does the train still leave Ashford the same time.???
I only ask as i just had a look on the Eurostar website and this is what it says

LONDON - DISNEYLAND RESORT PARIS
Departure Arrival Also Calls At
9.16 13.15 Ebbsfleet; Ashford; Lille

DISNEYLAND RESORT PARIS – LONDON Departure Arrival Also Calls At
19.37 22.2 Lille; Ashford

Its supposd to leave Ashford at 9.28 but according to that it doesn't leave London until 9.16???:confused: :confused:

Yes it still goes Ashford but it leaves London slightly later . I'm going from Ashford aswell!

I'm really excited abut going now!!! 7 days yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter