Character Meals with or without Dining plan

The dining plan works for us because we have 2 kids under 10 and we do a character meal everyday. When one of those factors change we will no longer get the dinning plan. As others have stated, do the math.

The dining plan works for us because we have 2 kids under 10 and we do a character meal everyday. When one of those factors change we will no longer get the dinning plan. As others have stated, do the math.

It is the only way to know for sure.

I would either do no dining plan or the quick service plan. If you're not planning on a TS meal each day or a meal or two that cost 2 credits, it wouldn't be a good value. We had one trip where we did 3 character meals and the rest quick service and did not get the plan.

Just got back and did not buy the Dining plan. Our previous two trips we had free dining. Did one character meal at Akershus for breakfast. Party consisted of myself, DW, DD12, DS10, DD3, DS1. Total with tax and tip was $251. Had lunch at 50’s Prime Time with the same party and the bill was $125. Included one desert and everyone drank water. Had six park days and had 1 counter service the other days. Kids ordered from the kids menu at counter service. No questions asked. Typically spent between $40-$50 per meal.

Just got back and did not buy the Dining plan. Our previous two trips we had free dining. Did one character meal at Akershus for breakfast. Party consisted of myself, DW, DD12, DS10, DD3, DS1. Total with tax and tip was $251. Had lunch at 50’s Prime Time with the same party and the bill was $125. Included one desert and everyone drank water. Had six park days and had 1 counter service the other days. Kids ordered from the kids menu at counter service. No questions asked. Typically spent between $40-$50 per meal.
So you spent between $8.00 and $10.00 per person for most meals. Impressive when you consider a hot dog is 9 dollars at Disney.

So you spent between $8.00 and $10.00 per person for most meals. Impressive when you consider a hot dog is 9 dollars at Disney.

This experience is exactly what no one can ever predict what is a good dining plan for anyone else. My husband can eat three hot dogs himself, and water is not his beverage of choice at any meal. It is what he drinks with his beverage. For us, the dining plan saves money because I know exactly what my family will use in terms of credits and how those credits will measure up in value. I would never have assumed a family of 5 could eat for under $50 because we never could. COnversely, if this poster wanted to advise us that the DDP was not a value and we would lose money, it would be because our dining is so different than he is used to.

Just do the math, it's pretty easy. I did the dining plan last year, so here was my reasoning for 2 adults, a 4 yo and a 2 yo (2 yo wasn't part of the plan).

So for 2017, the dining plan cost 69.35 per adult and 24.95 per child. For my family that was $818.25 for my 5 night stay or $163.65 a day. So just tallying our table service meals for the week:

Day 1: None used, used quick service for dinner at Disney Springs.
Day 2: Chef Mickeys Brunch $107.00, BOG Dinner ~$100.00
Day 3: Hollywood and Vine Dinner $130
Day 4: T-Rex Disney Springs ~$100.00
Day 5: Crystal Palace $117.00

So if you do something like that, the dining plan is worth it in my opinion. For example, with Crystal Palace, you have to $47 dollars to feed your family of 4 for lunch. If you end up spending more than $47 that day on food, the dining plan is cheaper.

Obviously you're incurring the cost of going to a character meals every day. I wouldn't go to character meals everyday if I didn't have the dining plan. My kids LOVED the character meals and it was an amazing place to take a break from walking and getting in to some air conditioning for an hour or two. Perfect when you have a bunch of young kids with you.

Anyway do the math, if you're not doing character meals every day or almost every day, the dining plan isn't worth it if you're looking for cheapest route and you're not interested in having a sit down quality meal or better.

Just do the math, it's pretty easy. I did the dining plan last year, so here was my reasoning for 2 adults, a 4 yo and a 2 yo (2 yo wasn't part of the plan).

So for 2017, the dining plan cost 69.35 per adult and 24.95 per child. For my family that was $818.25 for my 5 night stay or $163.65 a day. So just tallying our table service meals for the week:

Day 1: None used, used quick service for dinner at Disney Springs.
Day 2: Chef Mickeys Brunch $107.00, BOG Dinner ~$100.00
Day 3: Hollywood and Vine Dinner $130
Day 4: T-Rex Disney Springs ~$100.00
Day 5: Crystal Palace $117.00

So if you do something like that, the dining plan is worth it in my opinion. For example, with Crystal Palace, you have to $47 dollars to feed your family of 4 for lunch. If you end up spending more than $47 that day on food, the dining plan is cheaper.

Obviously you're incurring the cost of going to a character meals every day. I wouldn't go to character meals everyday if I didn't have the dining plan. My kids LOVED the character meals and it was an amazing place to take a break from walking and getting in to some air conditioning for an hour or two. Perfect when you have a bunch of young kids with you.

Anyway do the math, if you're not doing character meals every day or almost every day, the dining plan isn't worth it if you're looking for cheapest route and you're not interested in having a sit down quality meal or better.

I think that the dining plan is not for anyoen looking for the least expensive trip, and it is not for those who really do not like committing to meals. I like haveing a spot reserved and I like knowing that my family will not look at prices when they order their meals. We like snacks, beverages and desserts, so the plan is a value for my family, but for those who drink water with their meals, skip desserts or share them, and who choose mainly CS meals, or light TS meals, the DDP would be a nightmare.

I think that the dining plan is not for anyoen looking for the least expensive trip, and it is not for those who really do not like committing to meals. I like haveing a spot reserved and I like knowing that my family will not look at prices when they order their meals. We like snacks, beverages and desserts, so the plan is a value for my family, but for those who drink water with their meals, skip desserts or share them, and who choose mainly CS meals, or light TS meals, the DDP would be a nightmare.

I agree. The dining plan is very expensive if you're trying to budget meals every day and trying to save the most money. If you're planning on a character meal for at least 60-70% of your days there, dining plan makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

But again, it's not for everyone. My sister (DVC member) never does a dining plan, because she likes the freedom of ordering a few appetizers and no entrees at table service meals and the plan doesn't make sense money wise for that.

This experience is exactly what no one can ever predict what is a good dining plan for anyone else. My husband can eat three hot dogs himself, and water is not his beverage of choice at any meal. It is what he drinks with his beverage. For us, the dining plan saves money because I know exactly what my family will use in terms of credits and how those credits will measure up in value. I would never have assumed a family of 5 could eat for under $50 because we never could. COnversely, if this poster wanted to advise us that the DDP was not a value and we would lose money, it would be because our dining is so different than he is used to.
Agree wholeheartedly.
We travel with 1 to 3 (9, 12.5, and 17) children who have outgrown the character experience for the most part so we indulge in signature meals instead.

When everything is said and done you really have to do the math for yourself .

I agree. The dining plan is very expensive if you're trying to budget meals every day and trying to save the most money. If you're planning on a character meal for at least 60-70% of your days there, dining plan makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

But again, it's not for everyone. My sister (DVC member) never does a dining plan, because she likes the freedom of ordering a few appetizers and no entrees at table service meals and the plan doesn't make sense money wise for that.

A few years ago we had two little girls with us so I booked just about every character meal there is. I was really glad that I did because the weather was horrific, and had we not been at the meals their experience would not have been 1/2 as nice. We showed my DH some of he receipts and he almost fainted! LOL!!! Then told him it was "free". YAY! LOL!

My wife and I ordered an adult priced entree with water and no desert. My two older kids ordered kids meals and the two youngest shared a kids meal. Ate at Pecos Bill’s and Cosmic Ray’s in MK, Yak & Yeti and Pizzafari in AK. I am not endorsing paying your own way or buying the dining plan. Do what’s best for you. It’s your money.

You can easily get quick service meals for $7-10 a person. Depends on where you want to spend your money.

We have went back to the drawing board.

We have decided: 7TS meals, 5 will be character dining.

If I am doing the dining calculator correct, it doesn't look like the dining plan will save us money.

As long as the math works out for you, rock and roll.

If you're at the break even point, then I think the Dining Plan is better. In my view, it's a good peace of mind that you've already spent the money and you don't have to worry about it at the restaurants and this way you can have your pick of the menu when you're there and you don't have to decide between $20 entree and a $30 entree for your whole family.

Are you calculating snacks etc.? If you're a Starbucks person, the nearly the whole Starbucks menu counts as a snack (at least the giant mocca whatevers I got last year were).

If I am doing the dining calculator correct, it doesn't look like the dining plan will save us money.
Glad you found the way to go that makes sense for you!

As long as the math works out for you, rock and roll.

If you're at the break even point, then I think the Dining Plan is better. In my view, it's a good peace of mind that you've already spent the money and you don't have to worry about it at the restaurants and this way you can have your pick of the menu when you're there and you don't have to decide between $20 entree and a $30 entree for your whole family.

Are you calculating snacks etc.? If you're a Starbucks person, the nearly the whole Starbucks menu counts as a snack (at least the giant mocca whatevers I got last year were).

It shows, that it would cost $490 more if I was to get the dining plan. But I am not sure how accurate that would be.
My DH probably will drink an alcoholic beverage at our table service meals that is for dinner.
My little one is a very simple eater, he probably will eat chicken nugget every dinner, and waffle every morning.
My oldest will try anything, doesn't matter the cost
My daughter is very picky. She will always go with something safe. Also no matter how much the meal cost.

I think I am making the right decision. I am trying not to stress, back and forward. I just don't want to overpay for food.

Have you included any CS meals, or will you not be have any?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter