Cheap and Easy Casserole...

Originally Posted by FormrCastMbr
Great Thread!

This is not a casserole but it is super easy and one of my family's favorites...It can be a low fat/low calorie meal too.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

4 - 6 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 bottle catalina or red french dressing (the regular size bottle) I use fat free
1 jar apricot preserve (regular size) I use All Fruit
1 package dry onion soup mix

preheat oven to 350.

Place chicken in a baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Drain off juice.

Mix dressing, preserve and soup mix and pour over chicken. Bake another 30 minutes.

Serve with rice...I also serve it with broccoli...the sauce is great...we would drink the stuff!

yes, you can do this in the crock-pot!

We call this recipe crazy chicken....we love it! If you do it in the crockpot, make sure you use frozen chicken so it doesn't dry out.

Besides casseroles, another easy thing is to purchase the Fix It and Forget It crockpot cookbook by Dawn Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good. Not a very expensive book and it has recipes for everything. All recipes take only a few ingredients and are things you already have in your house and don't have to get special for the recipe and not make again. I made macaroni and cheese in it the other day and it is awesome. Using the crockpot is easy also if you have people eating different shifts. When my boys were home often I would make two or three meals on a Sunday and then they just could be heated up.
If you are looking for something good buy the McCormick packet for pulled pork. You do it in the crockpot,great and simple, and then you can freeze some of it for other meals.

Chilaquiles Lasagna (Just like the Food and Wine 2007 version but easier):

4 boneless chicken breast
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
2 garlic clove crushed
salt to taste
2 1/2 cup water
12 6 inch corn tortillas (left on the counter all day to dry out - broken in half)
1 1/2 # shredded monterey jack
16 oz jar green salsa (made with tomatillos and jalapenos)
***Blend salsa with a cup and a half of water, 5 tbs olive oil, hot sauce***
Parsley for garnish
Sour cream for garnish

In a sauce pan, place chicken, onion, garlic, salt and water. Bring to aboil and simmer for 20 minutes.

Strain and cool chicken, shred it, mix with 1/2 salsa mixture and set aside. ***I chopped up the onions it cooked with and added them as well.

Preheat oven to 350.

In a greased 9 x 13 baking dish layer a third of the tortilla, spoon a tbs or so of salsa onto each tortilla, spread half of chicken mix, 1/3 of the cheese and some salsa. Repeat once more and top with tortilla, salsa and cheese. Sprinkle parsley on top.

Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Let sit for 10 minutes and serve with sour cream.

I have a campbells 123 recipe book and this was one on them. We had it last night and it was good even my dh who said he wasn't sure if her would like it said he did.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

1 tblspn butter or margarine
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1lb)
1 10 3/4oz can Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup or 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
2 tblspns water
2 tblspns Chablis or other dry white wine
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
4 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles

1) in medium skillet over medium high heat, heat margarine. Add chicken and cook 10 minutes or until brown. Set chicken aside.

2) add soup, water, wine, cheese and ham. Heat to a boil, stirring often. Return chicken to pan.

3) reduce heat to low. cover and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.

Serve w/ noodles. Makes 4 servings.

I used boneless skinless chicken breast tenders instead of halves and I didn't use the chablis or white wine b/c I didn't have any and couldn't run to the store to get any but it was really good. I do plan on making it again w/ the wine.

Alright, In college my roomie and I would go on Costco runs and make these things in 10 lb batches. We lived off the meatloaf. They are *very* tasty!

Meat Loaf Minis
** Okay, so there is no nutritional info on this one. It is the ONLY recipe I am making an exception for because it is sooooo darn good.

Ingredients:
• 1 cup ketchup
• 3 to 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground mustard
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 3 cups Crispix cereal, crushed
• 3 teaspoons onion powder
• 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 3 pounds lean ground beef

Method:
In a large bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Remove 1/2 cup for topping; set aside. Add eggs, Worcestershire sauce, cereal and seasonings to remaining ketchup mixture; mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes. Crumble beef over cereal mixture and mix well.
Press meat mixture into 18 muffin cups (about 1/3 cup each). Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes. Drizzle with reserved ketchup mixture; bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve desired number of meat loaves. Cool remaining loaves; freeze. Transfer to freezer bags; freeze for up to 3 months. (I would wrap each loaf in foil)
To use frozen meat loaves: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Place loaves in a greased baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through, or cover and microwave on high for 1 minute or until heated through. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.

Simple and good.

Sausage Spaghetti Spirals

Ingredients:
1 pound Turkey Italian Sausage
1 medium green pepper, chopped
5 cups spiral pasta, cooked and drained
1 jar (28 oz) meatless spaghetti sauce
1 ½ cups (6 oz) reduced fat shredded mozzarella

Method:
1. Remove sausage from casing. In a skillet cook sausage and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Return to skillet.
2. Stir in pasta and spaghetti sauce.
3. Transfer to a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25
minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer until cheese is
melted.

Makes 10 ( 1 cup) servings: 250 cals 8g fat 28g carbs 16g protein

How about some new ideas for potluck, pic-nic and reunion time of year?

campfire potatoes....2 bags of sliced potatoes, 1 1/2 can chicken broth, 1 stick of butter cut in slices , 3 cups cheese, 1 bunch of green onions sliced, crumbled bacon.....(you can also add sliced smoked sausage)

mix potatoes, broth, butter and 1 cup of cheese and half of sliced onions together...place in baking pan top with bacon, remaining onions and cheese...cover.....bake until tender...(usually 40 mins give or take...)

its great....

Any ideas for seafood? My DH won't eat any meal without a clearly defined meat, starch and vegetable. Seafood is my only hope.

Here's a shepherd's pie recipe. It freezes well, too. If you double it (to freeze one), use only a total of 3 cans of soup.

INGREDIENTS
Mashed potatoes (for 8 -- can use instant)
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (15 ounce) can carrots, drained
1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish; set aside. Place lean ground beef and onion in a large skillet. Cook and stir over medium high heat until beef is evenly browned. Drain fat and stir in carrots, green beans, cream of mushroom soup and tomato soup.
Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly browned.

More of a goulash, or stew... but still quick, easy, and good.

Cook up enough steak for about 4 people. This could be T-bone, round... your call. Cook two packages of broccoli/cheese rice, following package directions. Cube the steak and dump it into the cooked b/c mix. Add soy sauce and A-1 to taste

Ready for some new ideas! It's Coooooooooooooold here and we are house bound.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter