Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

Hey everyone. It's been a long time...life happened. Just wanted to stop by and say hi. Haven't had much time for the dis lately, but hope all my fellow Cubs fans are doing well.

Kimbrel was painful last night. Blew a one run lead save opportunity after we battled back from 1-4 down. But supposedly his stuff “had more life”.

I got a new charm for my Cubs Pandora bracelet today! It’s a wood charm and the last of the official Cubs Charms. I bought it off of eBay, but the seller has 100% positive feedback with over 1,000 in the past year. I feel pretty confident that it’s authentic. AFA736E8-5C4B-41FA-A849-DF4F93C8E6CD.jpeg

Real nice win last night. Hendricks gave 7.2 great innings, but no run support for 8 innings

We were down 0-2 in the top of the ninth, Hader pitching, Baez and pinch-hitting Rizzo single and Heyward hits a 3-run homer. New Vargas homers.

Kimbrel lets men on 1st, 2nd quickly but then 3 outs. Cubs win 4-2! Free cardiac stress test thrown in.

Maybe some pieces coming together?

Game before, Lester pitched great.

Tough losses. I really thought they put together a fine season all things considered. Again, like 2017, 2018 (even a fair amount of 2016), the offense had troubles.

Our pitchers held the Marlins scoreless for 16 of 18 innings. And of course they held us scoreless for 17 of 18.

positives for the season: Hendricks, Yu, Heyward, Happ. Late season Kimbrel. Nice pieces. Rossy seems to work.

Unknown futures (potential trade value given it’s the last year of control for the core) - Rizzo, KB, Javy... ( Willie has a few years). Maybe the down seasons are better in a bizarre way since their trade value diminishes as a result. Better to re-sign at a discount maybe?

sad: Lester possibly done

There’s always next year

Last edited:
Tough losses.
In all of baseball, I hate to see the Cubs and the Cards lose...because they have the best fans in baseball. I love going to games when they are in town.

Good luck next year.

Not thrilled. I realize it’s a business.

I think there’s too much trigger happiness to rebuild; cheap player control financially and emotionally. Fan interest is taken for granted.

Cubs had a nice run of 5 years with promise. We had decent chances all those efforts. Now the ugly real corporate world overshadows it all. Add to that Jed possibly also wanting his own legacy. There are no guarantees with this strategy and yeah it’s all money.

If Yu diminishes, it’ll seem genius. But it’s also a blatant season fold to me. There was always a small chance before.

And Caratini was a very nice piece too. Had enjoyed his growth. Will miss them both.

I think there’s too much trigger happiness to rebuild; cheap player control financially and emotionally. Fan interest is taken for granted.

I know........Holy cow, I sure didn't expect this to happen with Darvish. And , it seemed like Caratini was getting to be really consistent with his performance. Feels like they're throwing the baby out with the bath water, and I don't understand this particular business side of the Cubs.

Cubs had a nice run of 5 years with promise. We had decent chances all those efforts. Now the ugly real corporate world overshadows it all. Add to that Jed possibly also wanting his own legacy. There are no guarantees with this strategy and yeah it’s all money.

If Yu diminishes, it’ll seem genius. But it’s also a blatant season fold to me. There was always a small chance before.

And Caratini was a very nice piece too. Had enjoyed his growth. Will miss them both.

I just read they're shopping Contreras, too. Don't the Cubs have new TV contract coming in this year? You know money isn't an issue, regardless. I just don't get it.

I just read they're shopping Contreras, too. Don't the Cubs have new TV contract coming in this year? You know money isn't an issue, regardless. I just don't get it.

I read that yesterday about Contreras, too. There was a report that Jed Hoyer said 3 hours ago that this is fictional, so who knows. I just don't get it!

I am very upset by this trade. Many fans, myself included, have stood by Darvish as he worked out his yips. I don't know how many times I've said, "I really like Darvish. Don't worry, he was really good before and he'll be good again." Darvish, in turn, took coaching suggestions seriously, worked incredibly hard, made successful changes and became the Cy Young runner-up. And how is all of that loyalty rewarded? He's traded. And it's not even a good trade. We got bupkis for him which is an additional slap in the face to both Yu and the fans. It was a salary dump to save money. I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time finding any sympathy for the Ricketts family's financials. They, like the rest of the 1%, are perfectly fine.

It's just all so reminiscent of the Cubs of old when we would be a mere stepping stone for talent. Once a player got too good we would trade him so he could be spectacular somewhere else. I let my season ticket money "ride" this year. We let the Cubs keep the money we paid for the 2020 season to apply it to the 2021 season. I am starting to regret that if these are the moves that Jed is going to make and the team is going to put on the field for us. It makes me wonder if the Darvish deal in the works and the dismantling of the team was one of the reason why Theo left.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter