Child just turning 3

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression the child will be 3 before the trip. OP, if that is the case, you really need to rethink everything. Your room doesn't even hold everyone. Once your child is 3 they are no longer an infant, and count towards your room total. If they are 3 before the trip you have too many people for your room. You risk being tossed out or told you need to get another room at full rack rate. Plus they will need their own park pass.

I see on another thread you are talking about being new DVC owners? You realize you could lose a lot if you are caught trying to fit more people than allowed into a DVC unit, right?

I agree. Not to mention, enough people lie about it and break the rules enough and all of a sudden, infant counts towards capacity and everyone needs a ticket.

If the child is 3 before the trip, pay for the ticket and switch rooms.

Three is three. I wager a DVC member may face more problems if they are caught breaking the rules.
You bet. Their DVC membership will immediately be revoked, they will lose all their money, they will be locked out of their villa, they will be driven out of WDW on a rail and told NEVER to return! All because they BROKE THE "three is three" RULE! :joker:

Seriously. DVC (and Disney) have bigger fish to fry than a family who breaks a rule. It's not a big deal to anyone except for some DISers.

ETA: I am in no way encouraging someone to break the rules, even the rule when kids age up. I just don't think the consequences if someone chooses to break that rule are all that dire. And, FTR, we bought our DD her own AP when she just turned 3. CMs would look at us like we were crazy when we presented her pass.

Last edited:
You bet. Their DVC membership will immediately be revoked, they will lose all their money, they will be locked out of their villa, they will be driven out of WDW on a rail and told NEVER to return! All because they BROKE THE "three is three" RULE! :joker:

Seriously. DVC (and Disney) have bigger fish to fry than a family who breaks a rule. It's not a big deal to anyone except for some DISers.

I don't think it is funny. I always look at it as if it were my business. If I ran a business that charged people to get in, and people on their own decided not to pay, would I be upset? You bet. And I don't think it is ok because Disney may have "bigger fish to fry". Stealing is stealing. And not paying for something when you should is indeed steeling.

I would think the bigger issue would be room occupancy. I have never heard Disney giving the ok to have more people in the room than you should have. Not being a DVC member myself I'm simply guessing that there is a huge contract you have to sign? And some of it would cover what happens if you break their rules?

OP, if you're worried about someone holding you up at the gate, don't even worry about it. Your under 3 doesn't even have to scan her magic band anyway. When we stayed off property, my under 3 didn't have a magic band, and we just walked right in with her.

But, if she's over 3 when you begin your trip, you do need to rethink everything. We took my daughter right after turning 3 and we bought her an annual pass and counted her as a guest in our room. It is worth it to me to do the right thing and hope my daughter learns how to do the right thing, too.

I am a DVC member and have a tall younger DS. He turned 3 on our last day of our trip our last visit. As long as he was 2 at the beginning of the trip, he was counted as "under 3" the entire time. We were never questioned by anyone, he did wear his birthday button daily and was asked when his birthday was by some well wishers. Other than that nothing. He was even tall enough to ride the 7 dwarves mine train and he came in with me with my fastpass, other than measuring him to make sure he was tall enough they didn't make or even ask him scan anything. Of course he would try to be like the rest of us. I would never spend money I didn't have to.

That being said, as long as your child is 2 at the start of the trip she will be considered "under 3" the entire trip until checkout. No need for park tickets, or changing room size, which I believe you would have to do. (This years trip or DS will turn 4 during our trip, and is counted towards the room capacity. He also has tickets since he is no longer "under 3")

We went to Disney when my youngest was 2. He turned 3 the last day we had in the parks. No one ever asked his age. I wouldn't worry about it.

ETA: I am in no way encouraging someone to break the rules, even the rule when kids age up. I just don't think the consequences if someone chooses to break that rule are all that dire. And, FTR, we bought our DD her own AP when she just turned 3. CMs would look at us like we were crazy when we presented her pass.

The reason some of us Disers see it as a big deal is because of board policy. We are not allowed to discuss or offer suggestions that break Disney's rules. So as the OP said it 2 different ways one of which breaks the rules the only advice we can give and stay with in board policy if the child has already turned 3 before the start of the trip is you have to find a different room and buy them admission.

Also although you believe Disney has bigger fish to fry their hotel management teams don't. Each hotel is independently operated by the management team and so if that management team wants to they can kick you out of a room where you are over occupancy of. I don't think it ever happens (people have been removed for smoking or having 10 in a room for 5) but it could.

The reason some of us Disers see it as a big deal is because of board policy. We are not allowed to discuss or offer suggestions that break Disney's rules. So as the OP said it 2 different ways one of which breaks the rules the only advice we can give and stay with in board policy if the child has already turned 3 before the start of the trip is you have to find a different room and buy them admission.

Also although you believe Disney has bigger fish to fry their hotel management teams don't. Each hotel is independently operated by the management team and so if that management team wants to they can kick you out of a room where you are over occupancy of. I don't think it ever happens (people have been removed for smoking or having 10 in a room for 5) but it could.
There is a difference between advising board policy (which I also did, BTW) and saber rattling for The Mouse.

Am I the only one with a three year old who loudly and proudly explains her age and exact birthdate to most people she meets?

Couldn't lie if I wanted to.. which I don't.. because, you know, morals ;)
FOR REAL. Although, I do know someone who deliberately didn't tell their child when they turned three so that a few weeks later they could still fly as a lap child. Stellar parenting.

I'm buying my 18 month old a plane ticket for our next trip. No way I would want my 3 year old in my lap the whole time, either.

Isn't 2 the cutoff for a lap child? As in, on the child's 2nd birthday he must have his own seat? Rules aside, 3 is WAY too big to be a lap child. I held my 21 month old son in my lap on a flight a couple weeks ago and thank goodness I was seated next to a family member because when he fell asleep on my lap, he was definitely spilling over into the next seat. In that moment, I could totally see why the age cutoff was 2. I couldn't imagine how bad I would have felt if I were seated next to a stranger and had to keep moving my son's dangling limbs off of that person.

Isn't 2 the cutoff for a lap child? As in, on the child's 2nd birthday he must have his own seat? Rules aside, 3 is WAY too big to be a lap child. I held my 21 month old son in my lap on a flight a couple weeks ago and thank goodness I was seated next to a family member because when he fell asleep on my lap, he was definitely spilling over into the next seat. In that moment, I could totally see why the age cutoff was 2. I couldn't imagine how bad I would have felt if I were seated next to a stranger and had to keep moving my son's dangling limbs off of that person.
It was a response to my post, about a parent who deliberately didn't tell her daughter that she had turned 3 - the reason being that they were flying a few weeks later and she didn't want her daughter busting her for not purchasing a seat for her. It was ridiculous. And I agree - even if it weren't for the whole honesty issue, no way would I want to fly with a child that age in my lap.

It was a response to my post, about a parent who deliberately didn't tell her daughter that she had turned 3 - the reason being that they were flying a few weeks later and she didn't want her daughter busting her for not purchasing a seat for her. It was ridiculous. And I agree - even if it weren't for the whole honesty issue, no way would I want to fly with a child that age in my lap.
But that story doesn't make any sense since the cut-off for a lap child on an airplane is 2 and not 3. Plus, unlike Disney, airlines will frequently verify a lap baby's DOB.

But that story doesn't make any sense since the cut-off for a lap child on an airplane is 2 and not 3. Plus, unlike Disney, airlines will frequently verify a lap baby's DOB.
All of this talk of 3 being the magic number caused me to make a typo - it was when her daughter was turning 2. That should make more sense!

We took a NYC-Calgary flight when ODD was 21 months. It was a looooong flight and I was glad the next flight (whenever it was), she would have her own seat!

More like saber rattling for doing the right thing. Integrity ya know???
I'm curious. Where does bearing false witness fall in your definition of integrity? You have accused the OP of lying about her DD's age and cheating Disney with no proof whatsoever. Only your own "impression" of what the OP means even though she unequivocally states that the child is indeed two-years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter