Child's AP and reservation??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this under resorts, but thought I'd post it here too (also, she told me that the DDE is run by a different area, but that you had to be 21 to get the card) :

Here is the note from Ms Gallagher (sorry, I spelled it wrong after talking with her on the phone). This is her real name, not a stage name, so anyone that doesn't believe it, can follow it up. She is looking into the note (I sent it to her, with the name on it) that was posted here before giving incorrect info. Note, that children cannot make the ressies by themselves, but must have parental permission. I assume the numbers on the bottom will allow this note to be traced by Disney, and this is Ms Gallaghers real name, not a stage name. I know that she isn't just saying that, because it turns out she is the same person I talked to when something when missing from our room in February. It took me a awhile to get a response, and she said it was because it had to be forwarded to her from the address I used:
Dear Ms. xxxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.

Again, I apologize for any confusion regarding your Annual Passholder
benefits. Periodically, a discounted Passholder rate for a limited
number of rooms may become available at select Walt Disney
World® Resorts and select Disney Vacation Club Resorts. As we
discussed, any Annual or Seasonal Passholder is entitled to receive a
room discount, based on availability. However, Guests must be 18 years
of age, or have permission from a parent or guardian, to make a
reservation. Please know that all of our policies and procedures are
always subject to change at any time.

Thank you again for contacting us. It was a pleasure speaking with you,
and we look forward to your family's upcoming visit.

Sincerely,

Jennifer L. Gallagher
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World® Resort

/TH

Here are the headers, with my email addy removed for the disbelieving:

Return-Path: <WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com>
Received: from rly-xb04.mx.aol.com (rly-xb04.mail.aol.com [172.20.64.50]) by air-xb02.mail.aol.com (v104.18) with ESMTP id MAILINXB21-a1424dcb44cf; Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:29:25 -0500
Received: from stitch.disneyonline.com (stitch.disneyonline.com [198.187.190.28]) by rly-xb04.mx.aol.com (v104.18) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINXB41-a1424dcb44cf; Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:29:24 -0500
Received: from bvig-orl-kana-3.bvig.disney.com (bvig-orl-kana-3.bvig.disney.com [10.196.56.53])
by stitch.disneyonline.com (Postfix) with SMTP
id CB5F1171A; Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:29:23 -0800 (PST)
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:29:23 -0800
To: <my address removed>
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?E-Mail from the Walt Disney World=AE Resort?=
From: WDW Guest Communications <WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com>
Reply-To: WDW Guest Communications <WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset = "us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Mailer: KANA Response 6.50.305
Message-Id: <20050401222923.CB5F1171A@stitch.disneyonline.com>
X-AOL-IP: 198.187.190.28
X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE: 0:2:440499327:9395241
X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT: 0

I still have no idea what that means. The only thing that is consistant is that everyone keeps getting different information. I have written three times and never received any response at all. I completely gave up on the AP deal and just cancelled my existing reservation in favor of a much better rate at the Dolphin. I guess for me, trying to figure out a system that is so confusing or complex that not even Disney can give a consistant response is something better off avoided. We do have our tickets and only 30 days to liftoff ! :cool1:

Thanks DMRick. I was told the same thing last year. The CM told me that as long as the kid's name was on the reservation then we would be fine. We were and there were no problems.

Docsknotinn said:
I still have no idea what that means.

I don't know how you can't see what it means, and I don't find it confusing at all. On another thread, you doubted I had ever gotten this info the first time (and I choose to rewrite rather than post that email, since I no longer had the headers), and here it is in black and white, with all the headers. It's always been consistant for me, from guest services, and I've always gotten the same answer. She did say that sometimes they realize that CM's may not always give correct info, but that they do try to keep the training up, but that CM's have a wealth of info to learn, and it's an ongoing progress, and sometimes mistakes can happen. I can understand that. I did send her the last person's email that was posted, and she is trying to track down the name on it, but had not been successful yet, when I talked with her.
I not only got the note saying that yes, children's AP's have the same benefits, but I talked with her in length on the phone (I've actually talked to her now twice about this, and once about what happened at Pop Century when we were there). This is her real name, not a stage name, so perhaps you should try writing directly to her, if you are still in doubt of it's validity.
The only difference in children's AP and adults is, that you need to be over 21 to get the DDE card, so that would exclude a child..but then it would also exclude a Florida resident if they are too young.
In any case, you have her name, feel free to write her personally, rather than continue to doubt if this is true, a loophole or whatever. According to her, this is just as they meant it to be used.

Doris--I, and others, have said that current policy seems to allow use of child's AP for discount purposes. The E-Mail doesn't do much to offer any real assurances. It states:
Please know that all of our policies and procedures are always subject to change at any time

Not really a reach to think this "loophole" could be closed.

I still think it's better to use an adult AP. DDE and possibility of an adult only extra trip seduced by a SW air fare sale.

Lewisc said:
Doris--I, and others, have said that current policy seems to allow use of child's AP for discount purposes. The E-Mail doesn't do much to offer any real assurances. It states:
"Please know that all of our policies and procedures are always subject to change at any time".
Not really a reach to think this "loophole" could be closed.

I still think it's better to use an adult AP. DDE and possibility of an adult only extra trip seduced by a SW air fare sale.

Lewis, (I figured I'd hear from you LOL), I know what you have said, however, the note above was written to someone else. Of course it says "Please know that all of our policies and procedures are always subject to change at any time". The website says that, everything at Disney says that. Life always has people covering themsleves to allow for change.

However, people were asking for here and now, and for here and now the official policy is not a "loophole", as you like to call it (I did bring up the loophole theory on the phone, and she seemed confused as to why anyone thought it was a loophole, so I did not ask her to address that..and she saw no reason to) but is the policy at this time and in the past. People keep wanting to know what is the offical policy..so there you have it, along with a "real" name to email if you don't believe it. You may use a child's AP for a room discount. Who knows, maybe any room discount will be the policy that will change someday. Any discount, even on an adults card is subject to change.
Now, because of the DDE card, it may not always be the best way to go for everyone, but it is policy, and it is allowed. So you can call it a loophole, if it makes you feel better, however, Disney calls it policy and procedure. I'm satisfied that this email matches the others that I have personally seen. For those who still don't believe it, I suggest you either write this gal yourself, or get an adult AP..whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Some people just don't want to hear it DMRick. They don't like to be wrong. It is obvious what the letter say and means. I know it because I ACTUALLY used a child's AP for a discount. Some folks like to create something out of nothing. The only loophole is the one in their brains. LOL! They get very irritated if you get a good deal and they have not. If I wanted the discount then I would do it. We wouldnever take an adult only trip to WDW and the DDE is not on my most wanted list either. So really using a child's AP would be perfect for the discount alone. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I am going to WDW for 16 days this year and we all are getting APs so it isn't an issue.

I agree that theese are standard disclaimers but subject to change with out notice also means that all the folks who were told something else do not have any ground to stand on. I am not doubting any ones word or experiences and I sincerely hope everyone gets a great deal and finds their Disney experience pleasant and fun !

I agree it's much ado about nothing. I've never even been asked to show ANY AP. Several people posted trying to cancel a child's AP so they could get DDE so I do think it makes sense to make sure people understand there are reasons to buy an adult AP.

My point is an email that's passed around the internet isn't necessarily official Disney policy. Some of the recent emails posted here on other topics don't even look legit. Certainly the person who received that email has some grounds to rely on it but I'd hate to have an issue with Disney, on any topic, and say something like I saw a Disney email on the internet and it said that I could......There have been people who called and were told a child's AP is not sufficient. I have no reason to doubt those posters. If I see something posted on Disney's website I have grounds to accept it. People posting about phone calls, private emails and even personal experience are giving us information that has value but really isn't something we can use if a Disney CM gives us different information when we get there.

People who want something more than others experiences should write or call Disney directly. I spoke to _________and I was told that___________ sound a lot better than I heard on the Disboards that....

skiwee1 said:
Some people just don't want to hear it DMRick. They don't like to be wrong. It is obvious what the letter say and means. I know it because I ACTUALLY used a child's AP for a discount. Some folks like to create something out of nothing. The only loophole is the one in their brains. LOL! They get very irritated if you get a good deal and they have not. If I wanted the discount then I would do it. We wouldnever take an adult only trip to WDW and the DDE is not on my most wanted list either. So really using a child's AP would be perfect for the discount alone. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I am going to WDW for 16 days this year and we all are getting APs so it isn't an issue.

The price difference between a child's AP and an adult AP is what? $60 or so? I've personally never been asked to show my AP upon check-in, but if people are worried about whether or not a child's AP will work, it would seem to me that it would be worth the extra $$ to buy an adult AP and not have to worry about it. JMO.

Lewisc said:
People posting about phone calls, private emails and even personal experience are giving us information that has value but really isn't something we can use if a Disney CM gives us different information when we get there.

People who want something more than others experiences should write or call Disney directly. I spoke to _________and I was told that___________ sound a lot better than I heard on the Disboards that....

Sigh..yes, Lewis, you just won't give up. Now there is a name that people can actually address their note to. I needed to get back to Stephanie on something and was able to get to her via the number I had, so I'm pretty sure a doubtful CM could do the same. I was hoping that would help some. It was suggested that I post the letter I got, and I did. This will help those who had the question. Most everything on this board, is people responding to questions based on what they have learned. No one was inferring that anyone say they heard it on the Disboards. (Maybe while waiting in line, someone could be singing, I heard it on the Disboards, to the tune of I heard it on the Grapevine!). Even if someone calls, as you suggested, I hardly believe saying that Tinkerbell gave me permission on March 25th would suffice anymore than I heard it on the Dis. However, an email with the headers, sent to the person would do it, or in my case the name of someone in the Disney executive guest services office. Or perhaps, going to the AP site, where it lists what is available for your AP (everyone's AP) would also prob do it. I'm sure there is a reason, they did not differentiate between the adult and child.
For some the difference in price isn't the only thing, but some have explained the reasons they only have a children's AP (going with grandma, mom and dad sharing custody for a one time trip, whatever). Those are the people this may help. If someone doesn't want to spend the difference, at least they now know Disney's official policy. I have never heard of one instance where a child's AP was not able to be used, so all the work finding out "for sure" because of a few doubtful posters prob wasn't even needed.
As for your saying:
"My point is an email that's passed around the internet isn't necessarily official Disney policy."
That's incorrect..this is official Disney policy, and if you took the time to write to Stephanie yourself, you would get your very own email saying so. That was the whole point of my writing, to get the "official" Disney policy on this. If it's that important to you, pm me your email addy, and I'll forward the actual email to you, with all the headers, and you can respond to it and let her know you were just checking on me. (this is an offer just to Lewis, I really don't want my own email sent out to everyone LOL).

With all respect I don't think you have the official Disney policy other than the part about everything is subject to change without notice. I am not saying you are wrong but plenty of people have been told "NO" by the CM's. I just don't see what all the hub bub is about after how many months and strands ? You will never have proof positive or an absolute on this topic simply because Disney does not seem to have any sort of concrete policy in place. If it works for you then I'm very happy for you but I still think its poor advice to suggest that someone try to save $60 and put themselves in a potentially unpleasant situation. :wave2:

Docsknotinn said:
With all respect I don't think you have the official Disney policy other than the part about everything is subject to change without notice. I am not saying you are wrong but plenty of people have been told "NO" by the CM's. I just don't see what all the hub bub is about after how many months and strands ? You will never have proof positive or an absolute on this topic simply because Disney does not seem to have any sort of concrete policy in place. If it works for you then I'm very happy for you but I still think its poor advice to suggest that someone try to save $60 and put themselves in a potentially unpleasant situation. :wave2:

How about if you send a letter to Stephanie yourself? For many people, a letter from Guest Services does the trick. Before in another thread, you made assumption that perhaps I had made up my info. Now I give you an actual name with all the headers, that you can write to, and it's still not enough. Yes, sometimes CM's give incorrect info..I personally have never had incorrect info right from guest services via email, although I have had incorrect info from a cm..perhaps they were newer, or just haven't run against a certain situation. Have you ever been on the AP site? As Stephanie mentioned in the phone call, there is no difference in the benefits of the adult versus the childs AP's. All of the bennies of the AP is listed. Before you mention that a child's AP will not give the discounted price on the DDE card, that is because a child can not purchase it. The DDE difference is because that is a different plan. Just like a child's AP would not give a discount on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, because they are too young for the tour. Those programs are not run by the same people who run the AP program, and that is their rules.
Some people have reasons to want to use a child's AP, so for them this info is important. For you, it obviously isn't. We can split hairs til the cows come home..but you asked on another thread for me to post my email, and you casted doubts that I had one, and now that I have again written to them, I have. Believe me, or don't, who the heck cares LOL..certainly not many from the PM's I get. I've been on this board a long time, have met several of the people, and I'd like to think people have realized over the years that I am honest, and would never post something that isn't true. I realize it seems to be very important to you to somehow cast doubt that this is official policy, so for you the only way to be sure, is to write to Disney...but since the difference in the cost is considered very little to you, why would you even care? I know you said you have written three times with no answer..hopefully, you have made sure your IP isn't blocking their address. But in any case, it isn't important to you, so it really shouldn't matter..beyond something you just want to argue about.
Oh, and actually, no I haven't heard of many instances at all where people have been told no.

Thanks DMRICK for looking into the matter. I'm the one who started the whole thing. I have a code that I used for a significant discount on my rooms and don't even need the AP. It was a simple question that DMRICK was kind enough to research. Some people may have benefitted. Some people could probably be slapped upside the head with an official letter from Iger and still not believe it.
Oh and by the way,even though some of you will still not believe it, I was told by no fewer than 6 CMs(I guess they are all ignorant),that a child's AP can secure the discount as long as he/she is on the ressie. I never brought up getting a DDE card -that was spun off the original thread.
Thanks again DMRICK!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter