Christmas 2020 visit. Insanity?

I fear that going to WDW at Christmas is not going to improve his attitude about Disney.

I wish he’d choose another time but he won’t go in summer because it is hot, our spring breaks don’t align (and it’s crowded). He is also a surgeon so he only likes to travel when his load is lightest - end of summer and Christmas.

We've gone for Christmas the past ten years. We decided to take a break the next few years and I doubt we'll be back for Christmas after my dad's passing.

BUT... it was one of my favorite trips. Yes, it'll be crowded, but Disney is kinda crowded year round now, isn't it?

If you book your FP+ selections, ADRs, and go in with the mindset that you won't see and do everything; and if you push to do things outside the parks (like see the resorts or just enjoy the pool in the middle of December) you'll be fine.

Thanks! My brother has no expectations and I am going to plan the trip. My kids and I only have a few goals — to see all the new stuff we won’t have seen this month. We will have hoppers and are night owls, so I think we will be able to accomplish what we want to. We know what we like. But all the same, I would rather not have to stress about FP+ and ADRs.

It IS insane, but we have been twice during Christmas (2016 and 2018) and we just love it. It is important to set your expectations and plan accordingly. We are early risers, visit MK at rope drop, have some lunch, and move on out of the parks on Christmas Day. We enjoy the rest of the day by swimming (weather permitting) or having some resort time (and a nap). Our tradition has been to end the evening with dinner at California Grill and rooftop fireworks viewing! We will be back for Christmas 2020 as well! Just for informational purposes, we have two boys ages 9 and 12.

We went down Christmas day until Jan 2nd one year. IT WAS A MADHOUSE. Elbow to elbow with people almost the entire time. Huge waits for everything so don't expect to ride anything outside of your fastpasses without an hour or more wait.

For me it was fun being there to see the Christmas stuff BUT I would never go that week again. Due to the crowd levels it severely changed our plans and what we could do and couldn't do. We missed out on a lot of things we wanted to and IMO Disney is a crazy expensive place to go if you can't see and ride what you want to.

I love Disney, but I don't think I'd ever go down around Christmas time again.

Hmm, since you had to talk your brother in to WDW, I really doubt you will be making a fan out of him by going Christmas week. I'd rather be hung upside down by my toenails than be anywhere near insane crowds like that. Unless your brother loves lineups.

I fear that going to WDW at Christmas is not going to improve his attitude about Disney.

I guarantee it won't. He will be convinced it is horrible. I personally think this is a terrible time to take anyone except a diehard who already loves the place. I wouldn't go at that time if you paid me.

If you are asking the question, then I think you already know how you feel.

Mind, I'm not sure why someone who has never been at Christmas feels really qualified to comment on what it is like.

We have visited over all the major holidays quite a few times. IMO, it isn't the crowds, it is the high costs that you need to understand. Christmas is the MOST EXPENSIVE time of year to visit WDW. If we go, we usually do split stays, and keep our on-site WDW hotel stays short. Universal isn't quite as expensive. Off-property hotel prices are much more reasonable, especially the further you get from Orlando. Tampa to the west, maybe Daytona/St. Augustine to the east. If you are hoping for warm weather, go south towards Ft.Lauderdale/Miami/Naples.

More or less, if you want a relaxing experience, spend time away from the major theme parks. Personally, I feel silly paying $900/night to be at WL if I'm doing a non-park day. I'd rather pay $175 for a super nice place on the beach in Tampa. I find I'm more relaxed when I'm spending less money, but maybe that's just me.

Christmas also should = adjusted expectations. From 10am-9pm the parks will be very busy. We do our 3 FP rides, then spend much of the rest of the day doing quieter attractions. If you only go for headliners at WDW, you'll have to wait in lines. Another option is to go to Universal. Universal isn't quite as crazy as WDW, and they have some fun NYE options.

With the right attitude, Christmas at WDW can be fun, it just isn't the same as going other times of year. A unique part of visiting during Christmas is all the holiday decorations.

The other key thing to know- don't do dumb stuff. Don't go to MK on Christmas Day, because that's the worst of the worst. Think outside the box as much as possible. When does EVERYONE try to eat lunch? Avoid that time...and so forth.

If everyone is game for that kind of flexibility, you can all have fun. If you'll be dragging his around all week against his will....then it is a lot of money to throw away. If you think he won't be flexible, then I highly suggest limiting your WDW time to just one or two days. The rest of the week- take him to place that appeals to HIM. If he likes history, St. Augustine is amazing. If he likes the beach, FL has 1,000. Maybe he'd like NASA? Harry Potter? Great food? FL has a bountiful range of museums, aquariums, and natural areas. The Everglades are amazing to see. Would he enjoy seeing alligators? the Keys? What about an airboat ride? A cruise? The key to fun is finding what you'll both enjoy together.

Last edited:
Mind, I'm not sure why someone who has never been at Christmas feels really qualified to comment on what it is like.

Right, especially since multiple pictures, and first hand experiences of relatives and friends are all being untruthful. Quite enough for me to know I don't need to experience it firsthand for myself.

As you can see from the responses the "should I go at Christmas" usually gets polar opposite responses. "Go and you'll love it" or "No way on Earth would I go".

I fall in the go and you'll love it group. If you set everyone's expectations properly and you do a good job planning you'll have a great time. If your group is one that can enjoy the festive time of the season they'll enjoy it even more at Disney.

Honestly, I think that many people who say that you shouldn't go have never been themselves at that time of the year and don't have first hand experience.

If you can do what a previous poster said I would try to split the days up with a midday break. We've been 5 times at Christmas and have used that strategy the last 4 times with a lot of success.

Good luck!

We are going to Disney 12/21-12/27 this year, staying at ASMusic with free dining (upgraded to DDP). We arrive late on the 21st and leave early on the 27th, so 5 possible park days but we have 4 day PH tickets. We'll avoid WDW completely on Christmas Day; we're going to Cocoa Beach to celebrate the holiday with a friend. DH isn't a huge Disney lover but is reasonably happy to do this trip- I think he suspects it'll be a "FP only" type of experience and NOT all day in the parks, hahaha! Any suggestions on which days to do which parks (Sun 12/22, Mon 12/23, Tues 12/24, and Thur 12/26) and would you recommend FP for the morning hours, even when doing rope drop (and EMH if they offer it), or schedule FP for the evening and just enjoy the daytime at resorts, pool, etc.?

I don't need to experience it firsthand for myself.
The above statement is helpful.

Over our Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving/etc week visits with extended family we did not feel like, "giant wriggling worms [when trying] to get anywhere."

Nor did we feel like we couldn't do "anything."

The children in our extended family have a blast going over the holidays!

EVERY season has pros and cons. Every WDW visit has the potential to be great and also a disaster. Much of it has to do with expectations and successfully navigating the opportunities given.

Christmas week offers both perks and challenges; same as every other week. On our most recent Christmas visit, the fireworks were simply breathtaking! I've seen the MK fireworks a great many times, and hands down those fireworks were best ones I have ever seen at WDW! That's just one of the magical perks we experienced that trip.

We would be happy to return again over the holidays.

Last edited:
My brother and his family want to go WDW (Read: I suckered them into agreeing to go to WDW with me). He prefers Christmas or Thanksgiving. I initially was thinking thanksgiving but i see the current bounceback offer doesn’t include any November dates so I think christmas it is.

Is it that bad? I was at Epcot on Christmas Day in 2018 and it was survivable. We rode everything but test track. I haven’t visited any other parks during Christmas (the rest of our trip was a Disney Dream cruise). I am a little scared!

Also, he wants to go deluxe. I am cheap so I was thinking Wilderness Lodge might be the cheapest deluxe option. He wants to stay at the Contemporary but that’s too $$$ for me. Thoughts on WL? we usually go with moderates.
WL is beautiful at Christmas. Experience the magic the resorts have to offer and take in less of the parks and more of your family, even if it means grabbing a snack and just relaxing somewhere and just even enjoying all the decorations.

Thanks all for your feedback so far. I haven’t priced things yet but he is dead set on Christmas. WL May be too steep for my budget, so I may look at CBR or Gran Destino tower and then upgrade to the regular DDP.

I spent Christmas Day at Epcot this pst year and it was fine to be honest - I avoided MK partly because I knew it would be the worst park on Christmas Day and partly because I knew Epcot absorbs crowds better. We rode everything but Test Track and that’s only because we got tired and left before close. My youngest was too little for single rider but in december 2020 she will be 10.5. My thought is to plan character meals for my niece and nephew. I also told my brother to consider club level and pay for extra FPs. That’s out of my budget but for them it isn’t. My kids and I can stay in the parks super late no problem, different for them. Plus we will get park hoppers so we can bounce if the park gets too crowded.

I am making my first actual on Christmas trip this year from Dec 21-26. I am also staying at WL for the first time. I have visited the lobby at Christmas before but never stayed there. I have been going to Disney twice a year for the past almost 10 years, but have never done the actual holiday. I am really looking forward to it but I am going in with open eyes and expectations and I am also going solo so I don't have to worry about an entourage/family tagging along and their expectations. I don't do rope drops anymore and tend to schedule my FP+ for late afternoon or evening. I sleep late, then go to the parks for a mid-afternoon meal then close out the parks. For this trip I really think I will be okay if I don't even really get to ride anything at Disney. I am going specifically for the Christmas atmosphere and festivities. However, I want to spend one day at Universal/IOA to see the WWOHP all done up for Christmas and to hopefully ride the new Hagrid coaster. I don't really care too much about other rides at Uni/IOA but will some if time permits. I'm not even sure if I will do both parks or just IOA. Regardless, I will have to manage that day differently and may have to break my "no mornings" rule! I had been debating which day to go but @mickeyluv'rs post has confirmed I will go ahead and save that for Christmas Day. I was thinking it might be a tiny bit less crazy.

Also, I got the Ultimate Christmas Package for only about $540 more than I had already booked for Room Only with discount and no tickets. The package includes 4-day hopper, MVMCP ticket, an evening at AK similar to DAH, a reserved spot for Epcot Forever fireworks, and a $50 Epcot food-only gift card per person. The 4 day hoppers run about $640 per adult for that timeframe. Free dining can be fun, but I wouldn't eat that many meals unless I did have the dining plan so this discount package is really good deal for me and might be for others traveling as a couple. You have to book on the phone or through an agent though. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/ultimate-christmas-package/ and your dates have to be exactly 12/21-12/26 but I bet you could do a split stay for more days before or after as a separate reservation.

The Swan and Dolphin are super cheap over Thanksgiving. If cost is your biggest factor, look into this.

Only paying around $1,416 including taxes and fees for a double room at the Dolphin for 6 nights.

I wouldn’t make a blanket assumption that Disney packages over Thanksgiving would be a better deal.

The Swan and Dolphin are super cheap over Thanksgiving. If cost is your biggest factor, look into this.

Only paying around $1,416 including taxes and fees for a double room at the Dolphin for 6 nights.

I wouldn’t make a blanket assumption that Disney packages over Thanksgiving would be a better deal.

That is a fair point. We stayed at the Swan last year over Christmas and we had a great price. I think a moderate with free dining (upgraded to the regular DDP) may be better or a wash.

Last edited:
I would try to talk him out of going over a holiday period. First impressions are everything and seeing how crowded MK gets at Christmas will probably lead to fewer if any family WDW trips in your future.

We've been during the holidays many times. Thanksgiving is definitely better from a crowd perspective, and the holiday decorations were mostly up and it was very festive. Earlier in the week was much better.

Christmas is kind of the same, but more crowded. The week before Christmas is very manageable. The week between Christmas and NY is brutal. If that was someone's introduction to WDW, I think they'd hate it.

As for the deluxe resorts, I don't care for either Wilderness Lodge or the Contemporary. Neither was particularly deluxe when I was there, although the Contemporary was better and you could walk to MK from there. If I was going Deluxe, I'd go for something that felt more deluxe, like the Beach Club or Grand Floridian. Frankly, I stayed at All Star Sports last December and enjoyed it no less than Wilderness Lodge. (We were driving to the parks and it was too chilly for the pool, so none of that mattered, plus we spend most of our time in the parks).

I've done five Christmas trips (some were pre Christmas and some pre-Christmas extending into the busy holiday period), primarily to visit with extended family who were going to be there (Personally it would not be when I would plan a trip to go to the parks). We stayed offsite, so costs weren't bad (rented nice offsite timeshare units from owners). Costs onsite are insane that time of year, but I can see onsite earlier fastpass perks and EMHs being a real plus. The week prior to Christmas is much less crowed than the time between Christmas and New Year (and you can see the crowds get a little heavier day by day approaching Christmas). The period between Christmas Eve and New Years day is the very busiest time of the year. There is a noticeable difference before this extremely busy period and during it. If you can do the slightly less busy pre-Christmas or post new year with people's schedules or more of that than the crazy busy period, I would seriously consider that (so much more pleasant).

For those who are not Disney diehards it really is an Insane thing to do IMHO. It's way too much for DH who doesn't like crowds, and I doubt we'll ever do it again. But who am I to talk as someone who has visited five times in that timeframe. And DH and I are still married. lol.

Honestly from what you have said about your brother, I'd scrap the idea of WDW if those were the only time choices. I'd do a different destination/trip. End of summer is just so hot and Christmas is just so crowded. I love Disney, but neither of those timeframes has any appeal to me. Often though you have to experience something yourself before you are in the camp that it really was a bad idea.

My extended family who we visited during these stays are true diehards. 18 hour days at the parks, no big deal. Rope drop mornings, naps and swimming in the afternoon, and back into the parks till they close at 2 a.m. to get a ride on Dumbo with the little kids with little wait were power for the course for my brother. They even did the MK on the New Years Eve Millennium (special night time show and fireworks), stayed from rope drop till closing (didn't dare leave with fear of not being able to get back in) and didn't get back to the condo till 5 a.m. due to crowds. We weren't there for this trip. I asked my dad what he thought about that with all the crowds and what he said was "It was so neat, one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Totally worth it". For people like my extended family, anytime is a good time and on top of regular vacation my brother's company has the time between Christmas Eve and New Year as a paid holiday.

Also, on the plus side even during crazy busy periods, resorts are never crowded as everyone is at the parks. Pool time at the resorts, some tennis, etc. were lots of fun and are really great way to spend some time if crowds start getting to you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter