Christmas for Young adult guys

You described my 20 year old ds to a T
I ended up ordering him a new iphone because he has been saying how his current one is freezing on him. When I asked him if he'd like a new one he said "no, it's annoying but it still works, I'll probably get another year out of it before it dies" :faint:
It will be a surprise and I know he will appreciate it, but he would never have asked for it.
I do appreciate his practical and frugal ways, which I think will benefit him throughout his life, but when your mom is willing to get you a nice new phone- darn it say yes! :laughing:

DS’s birthday was in May. He asked for a new phone then. His was from 8th grade (actually another failed Christmas present. Lol. I actually had all 3 of my kids mad at that present. Girls didn’t get iPhone till high school but I was desperate for a gift for DS in 8th grade and DD was getting one when it was buy one get one free so I figured I would get him the other. It didn’t go over well with any of them. 🤷🏻‍♀️ The girls were mad he got one before high school and he thought it was a waste of money when he didn’t need it.) Anyway, finally in August before he left for college did we get him his new phone from his May bday. He got the IPhone SE that was only $199 at Walmart.

My DS is the worst to buy presents for. He has never asked for anything. Ever. I swear every year for toys for tots I have donated last years unopened gifts. He is 18 now and still no clue what to give. He is cheaper than me. Lol. One year he was duct taping head phones and I was like would you like new ones for Christmas? Nope these still work so they are good. 😂. We did buy him an Xbox one year even though he didn’t ask. He did play with it so it was good for games as presents for a few years. That was Xbox 360 so you know how long ago it was. He has never asked for an updated system. Now he plays mostly on his computer. We gave him a 2nd screen last year. He did seem to appreciate that. Now that he was in college I’m even more clueless to what he would want. I see some of the suggestions and I’m like they would be good for most kids. But not mine. I bought him a raspberry pi a few years ago after reading the suggestion here. Another thing never opened. He is truly impossible. Not ungrateful, just doesn’t feel the need for things.

Is there a charity he really likes? Maybe make a donation in his name? I'd suggest experiences but that's not really feasible/practical at the moment.

My DS is the worst to buy presents for. He has never asked for anything. Ever. I swear every year for toys for tots I have donated last years unopened gifts. He is 18 now and still no clue what to give. He is cheaper than me. Lol. One year he was duct taping head phones and I was like would you like new ones for Christmas? Nope these still work so they are good. 😂. We did buy him an Xbox one year even though he didn’t ask. He did play with it so it was good for games as presents for a few years. That was Xbox 360 so you know how long ago it was. He has never asked for an updated system. Now he plays mostly on his computer. We gave him a 2nd screen last year. He did seem to appreciate that. Now that he was in college I’m even more clueless to what he would want. I see some of the suggestions and I’m like they would be good for most kids. But not mine. I bought him a raspberry pi a few years ago after reading the suggestion here. Another thing never opened. He is truly impossible. Not ungrateful, just doesn’t feel the need for things.
You described my 20 year old ds to a T
I ended up ordering him a new iphone because he has been saying how his current one is freezing on him. When I asked him if he'd like a new one he said "no, it's annoying but it still works, I'll probably get another year out of it before it dies" :faint:
It will be a surprise and I know he will appreciate it, but he would never have asked for it.
I do appreciate his practical and frugal ways, which I think will benefit him throughout his life, but when your mom is willing to get you a nice new phone- darn it say yes! :laughing:

These sound just like my DS. He is so practical and really don't desire possessions. (I wish his sisters were even just a little like this lol). He's in his first year of college and is coming home this week for Thanksgiving break. I jokingly asked him what snacks he wanted me to have stocked for when he was home - he said "milk". He won't even ask for snacks!

These sound just like my DS. He is so practical and really don't desire possessions. (I wish his sisters were even just a little like this lol). He's in his first year of college and is coming home this week for Thanksgiving break. I jokingly asked him what snacks he wanted me to have stocked for when he was home - he said "milk". He won't even ask for snacks!

same! Milk and cereal would be all mine would want stocked. I asked him if I could send him a care package a month ago and he said no, he didn’t need anything and he still had plenty that I left with him with from move in.

I understand your pain! My kids are the same way. My youngest (18) has Beats that he has been supergluing together for a few months and he still says he doesn't need new ones. We got him Airpods anyway. He built his computer and has a second screen. I have to say that I thought my husband and kids were ridiculous wanting second screens until covid has me working at home. My husband connected a second screen for me and I cannot believe how helpful it is. He is in college this year and loves coffee and tea and hot chocolate, so I will put together an assortment for him. He also asked for more RAM for his computer.
My 21 year old finally gave me a list. a new mattress. LOL. And tapestries to hang on his walls. He uses tapestries for curtains, and we are making a room in the basement for him so I guess that is what he wants to decorate with.

I am still hoping that they give us more ideas.

same! Milk and cereal would be all mine would want stocked. I asked him if I could send him a care package a month ago and he said no, he didn’t need anything and he still had plenty that I left with him with from move in.
Mine said the same thing about sending food and needs back with him. He came home a few weeks ago and only wanted some hand soap to take back!! HAHA. The only thing he wants stocked at home for Thanksgiving break is ice cream.

amazon's is your friend! i have men in my household with specific interests and while i still actively solicit letters to santa for ideas i've found obscure gifts/stocking stuffers related to their interests that they never knew existed by just entering the name of that interest into amazon's search under "all".

just checked for 'roller coasters'-there's a roller coaster s.t.e.m. building product for 39.99 (my 23 year old surprised me by expressing interest over some of the s.t.e.m. stuff in the amazon toy catalog this year-yeah, it's for younger kids but suits his interests), there's a book called 'coasters 101, an engineer's guide to roller coaster design' (14.99) there are allot of cool books, some tshirts and other items to choose from. for pink floyd there is a wealth of tshirts, some cool dvd's with archival concert and behind the scenes footage, inexpensive artwork...league of legends-cool tshirts, clocks, figurines, gift cards. the gamers in my household always like getting giftcards for their systems or gamestop (i got one a one years 'steam' membership that they've renewed on their own for years).

for stocking stuffers i normaly got my former college student gift cards to places he ate but with so many closing w/o notice i'm defaulting to either cash or a visa gift card for those purposes. i know what snacks they like so i take advantage of both halloween and costco/bj's to get big packages of small sized packaged items they like. i got one a couple of bags of 30 count chocolate covered pretzel packets for about $6, one a bag of snack sized 'take 5' candy bars. i can get the chips they like and spend $1.50 a bag (for the small bags) 30 bags for $15 (same with individual cookies and other snacks).
Those books are great, I have gotten quite a few of the world's best/scariest/etc books, along with some of the Engineering coaster books. Those were a big hit. I got him a few of the stem coasters to build. They are still in a box unopened. I really thought he would have loved them. I will use their interests in the search engine of amazon, I usually use that for specific things, but I will expand my search.

A friends son is a mechanic and used to say the biggest issue was how cold he got so when she got him a heavy Carhartt hoodie and pair of their fingerless gloves he was in heaven, I think there are ones where they fingertip part can slide on and off.

OMG my dad is a tinker-er like Maurice, and he is going to LOVE these gloves!

The gift I got him last year was the Dewalt ear protecting headphones with built in FM so he can listen to talk radio. He never takes them off.

HarryandDavid.com has 12 Days of Moose Munch Premium Popcorn Gift Box or call 1-800-547-3033 and
LegoStar Wars Advent Calendar ... I purchased for grandson 12 and son 40 asked for one too because it has Darth Vader in Holiday Sweater. apparently they have been releasing a character in holiday sweater over the years and they have become very collectible.
World Market has an advent calendar of different hot sauces (small size bottles ) and can be ordered online.
Maybe a unique holiday ornament I just found the Xmas Grinch at Target and Hallmark has many! If you can find a football or sport shaped pillow to decorate couch and throw-in house during games...
And boy do they have some Nerf guns out! My grandson has so many hung on wall .... and Target is carrying FAO Schwartz label boxed sets including a very tempting 2 player Lazer Tag Game with 2 guns and 2 sensors . And Target did have a remote control Wall-E.... really cool!
I am a shopaholic!
Sees Candy has best chocolates with holiday packaging but very best is Bissingers in St.Louis , Mo. especially if you are needing chocolate turkeys for Thanksgiving. Tradition says a bag of chocolate gold coins and has to be good quality!

Last edited:
Original Poster here. My 21 year old heard my husband talk to his dad about air pods, he spoke up and strongly told him that he DOES NOT want some. UGH. I guess we see what happens when he opens them. Does anyone want another son? You can have mine! LOL

If it makes you feel any better, our younger son doesn't like/want them at all and our older son doesn't like/want ANYTHING made by Apple. Can you return them? Might as well get something else that you think he might like.

I'd consider opening a Roth IRA in his name if you can. Starting a retirement account at a young age is one of the greatest gifts a person can get. It can make a difference of several hundred thousand by the time he is 70. With a Roth, the earnings are not taxed when withdrawn during retirement. https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-teens-can-become-millionaires

If you're worried that he might be tempted to dip into it, you might be able to open it as a custodial account in both of your names.
Here in NJ it's age 21 when the "minor" gets control of it. Each state has their own laws. Even if it doesn't remain a retirement account, just having an investment account growing would help him to have a down payment on a home by the time he's 30.

Some people are just low-maintenance and don't get thrilled over material things and that's ok. :goodvibes

I'd consider opening a Roth IRA in his name if you can. Starting a retirement account at a young age is one of the greatest gifts a person can get. It can make a difference of several hundred thousand by the time he is 70. With a Roth, the earnings are not taxed when withdrawn during retirement. https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-teens-can-become-millionaires

If you're worried that he might be tempted to dip into it, you might be able to open it as a custodial account in both of your names.
Here in NJ it's age 21 when the "minor" gets control of it. Each state has their own laws. Even if it doesn't remain a retirement account, just having an investment account growing would help him to have a down payment on a home by the time he's 30.

Some people are just low-maintenance and don't get thrilled over material things and that's ok. :goodvibes

I picked up life insurance policies for my kids when they were little that I moved to their own, recently so they can have peace of mind when they have their own families. I do maintain these but not so sure I could convince them it's a Christmas gift. In general, some measure of frivolity is expected in a gift. Doesn't need to be costly, maybe just time for something playful. Some small added comfort or benefit, future financial stability is so very important but it's a bit pragmatic.

Don't mean sound harsh, hope I don't, just thinking the Roth might go along with a fun thought of some kind.

Last edited:
I picked up life insurance policies for my kids when they were little that I moved to their own, recently so they can have peace of mind when they have their own families. I do maintain these but not so sure I could convince them it's a Christmas gift. In general, some measure of frivolity is expected in a gift. Doesn't need to be costly, maybe just time for something playful. Some small added comfort or benefit, future financial stability is so very important but it's a bit pragmatic.

Don't mean sound harsh, hope I don't, just thinking the Roth might go along with a fun thought of some kind.

Not harsh at all. Of course I like to give gifts that the receiver would consider fun or desireable, or what they like but can’t afford. A splurge.
For ds23 that is LLBean flannel pajama/lounge pants. For ds20 thatvwould be Ralph Lauren Polo waffle-knit pajama pants.
I personally cringe though at the thought of gifts just sitting untouched/unopened for months. We are all very open and honest amongst the 4 of us to be able to say a gift is not something that he likes or would use. I’d much rather return the thing I bought right away and let him choose something else. If I dont’t ask for feedback, I’d keep making the same buying errors every year.

If I’m all out of fun ideas and what looks like fun to me isnt his idea of fun, then money would be next idea. If he isn’t a big spender and likes to save his money, investments are not unreasonable. Yes, it’s more of a practical gift. My 23 yr old would very much appreciate investment $$ and loves to watch compunded interest grow his $$. This is the first year I'm out of ideas.
Ive never given him cash for Christmas or birthdays so far and he has more than enough socked away for a down payment on a house.

You know your kids best so pick what you think he’d like.

Ds22 asked for banana republic traveling pants (on sale for $49), the annual polo red cologne, a Thule roof rack for his kayak, Salomon trail runners, and a manscaper. 🤣

Ds22 asked for banana republic traveling pants (on sale for $49), the annual polo red cologne, a Thule roof rack for his kayak, Salomon trail runners, and a manscaper. 🤣
Ouch, that manscaper pulls hair like crazy. I had to return mine and stick with my braun

I have to say that I thought my husband and kids were ridiculous wanting second screens until covid has me working at home. My husband connected a second screen for me and I cannot believe how helpful it is.

I run 3 screens, and want a 4th - I just don't have space for it on my desk. I know developers who use 5 screens at at time LOL

I’ve got 5 guys I’m buying for (I swear my husband and sons have similar wish lists haha, ) so even though this may sound like a lot it’s split between several guys. Various new computer part upgrades (I seriously don’t know what half of them do, but most of them build computers, so it’s useful) speakers, mother lode eBag, steam and amazon gift cards, local restaurant gift cards, 23 and me, Samsung watch, wireless earbuds, Ballsy (have you seen this body wash line, so funny!) life straw, and nice bath towels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter