(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know how the fine aspect is being addressed. Do they advise you when you check in, or is just in the fine print with the other terms and conditions you sign for? What do you do if your room smells of smoke when you check in? Thanks to anyone who knows!

We already had reservations for Oct. with a smoking room requested before the no-smoking policy was announced. We received a phone call advising us of the change and offering to move our room to one near a smoking area (we had reserved a MK view at the GF), although the CM didn't know exactly where the smoking areas were going to be.

I would imagine the CM's are supposed to advise guests at check-in about the new policy. Other non-smoking hotels usually have guests sign an acknowledgement that there will be a charge for smoking in a non-smoking room and I imagine WDW will do the same. If you check into a room that smells like smoke, you should report it immediately so that you don't get stuck with the charge.

CBR had one building that was smoking. Maybe it is just how the resort is arranged that they can have more smoking areas.

Just wanted to know if anyone has been to the POFQ? How were the DSA's there? Im wondering if I should request a certain bldg so my dad dosent have to walk too far.

TIA

Hi there :wave2:

We were there in May 05, and from what we remember, there's no smoking in the Public area's inside the resort (lobby, restaurant etc), but you could smoke outside, which is only 30 seconds away, where there are tables set up.

We smoked around by the pool with no comments.

The are also designated smoking rooms.

Hope this helps

:thumbsup2

I didn't know if anyone knew the answer to this one yet or not. I assume Disney is doing an overhaul gradually of all the previously dubbed "smoking" rooms but I can't imagine it being done completely by the time we go in mid-August. My daughters are both asthmatic and have awful flare-ups around stale cigarette smoke/smell.... we HAD a guaranteed non-smoking room for our trip prior to the new policy being even mentioned. My concern is that we might be put up in a room that was previously a smoking room and has not yet undergone the thorough cleaning. Does anyone know what Disney is doing about this? I'd just hate to check in and then be told that there are no other vacancies left if we were placed in a prior-smoking room. Of course this is the first time we went through AAA as well so I can't call CRO directly to have it noted on my reservations :confused: Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I didn't know if anyone knew the answer to this one yet or not. I assume Disney is doing an overhaul gradually of all the previously dubbed "smoking" rooms but I can't imagine it being done completely by the time we go in mid-August. My daughters are both asthmatic and have awful flare-ups around stale cigarette smoke/smell.... we HAD a guaranteed non-smoking room for our trip prior to the new policy being even mentioned. My concern is that we might be put up in a room that was previously a smoking room and has not yet undergone the thorough cleaning. Does anyone know what Disney is doing about this? I'd just hate to check in and then be told that there are no other vacancies left if we were placed in a prior-smoking room. Of course this is the first time we went through AAA as well so I can't call CRO directly to have it noted on my reservations :confused: Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Disney posted someplace that the previous smoking rooms were being taken out of inventory on a rotating basis, cleaned and put back into inventory.

I'd just make your wishes clear once again at check-in and you should have no troubles.

Knox

Call your AAA agent and they can add it to your reservation. Our AAA agent added it stating child allergic to smoke and should not be placed in a former smoking room. I would also try to know what rooms were formerly smoking rooms and let the CM know about your daughters medical conditions.

Hi all,

OK this is cool - I posted a smoking question earlier, then realized it was a no-no, now they've allowed it - let's all be nice ;)

Here's my questions....

Any smokers that have visited recently and can offer any advice on the new policy at the resorts?

Specifically, I'll be at the Grand Floridian in August. A couple of things I am curious about...
1) How were the designated smoking areas at the GF - adequate?
2) Did you, or did you notice, people on their balconies smoking?
(I do a lot of business travel and stay at Marriott almost all the time - they have a 100% non-smoking policy but I can always go out on the balcony, close the door behind me so as not to allow smoke to drift into the room, keep the balcony clean of butts and ashes, and have never had a problem). Are they "policing" this aspect of it?
3) I hear that there are some areas of the GF that do not have 'private' balconies. I am not sure what this means, but I assume they are some type of common balcony. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks for any info

JimC

There was a nice smoking area right outside the GFCafe, had a nice cigar there. Nice place to sit.

Has anyone just recently returned from pop and willing to comment on the smoking areas? My boyfriend and future mother in law will be coming down with me in dec, and I am wondering where would be a good place to get a room near them, i looked on the maps and seems their is one near 90's first floor, or if they will be completely banished! TIA, mena292

Thank you mods for giving this a try. There are a lot of people out there looking for the kind of info here - what rooms are near DSAs, what are they like, etc. I just hope everyone can respect the ground rules.

Has anyone just recently returned from pop and willing to comment on the smoking areas? My boyfriend and future mother in law will be coming down with me in dec, and I am wondering where would be a good place to get a room near them, i looked on the maps and seems their is one near 90's first floor, or if they will be completely banished! TIA, mena292

I was at Pop in May I smoked on the balconies then . The whole pool area seemed to be smoking, tables outside the food court also. Definately around Petals Bar. Am planning on going in Feb too so am interested to see what has changed. I was thinking of getting a smoking room, but looks like that's out!

Just wondering if anyone had any first hand information on guests checking in and paying the $ 250 upfront as they intend(ed) to smoke on their balconies/porches?

I find it hard to believe that Disney doesn't have a separate smoking policy statement signed by guests at check in like all Marriott hotels do.

It sounds like the only thing being signed at check in is what has always been signed at check in. Marriott makes you initial a page and specifically tells you that their hotels are smoke free and that you will be charged if smoking occurs in your room. Disney needs to do the same.

JMO

MsA

I find it hard to believe that Disney doesn't have a separate smoking policy statement signed by guests at check in like all Marriott hotels do.

It sounds like the only thing being signed at check in is what has always been signed at check in. Marriott makes you initial a page and specifically tells you that their hotels are smoke free and that you will be charged if smoking occurs in your room. Disney needs to do the same.

JMO

MsA

MsAmerica!!!....it's GREAT to see YOU posting here!!!

From a legal standpoint, I doubt it makes any difference that a notice of fee for a policy violation is on a seperate piece of paper. The 'thing' you sign when checking in is the master document - in which you agree to the terms of your use of their property. :)

There weren't many smoking rooms to begin with, so it shouldn't take very long to thoroughly clean all of them. Besides, mid-August to mid-September is a traditionally slow season at WDW so you may find the resorts have a lot of vacancies and, therefore, little competition for the old smoke-free rooms. Relax and enjoy your trip planning!

Are they fining people for smoking on their balconies now? I understood that guests would be fined if they smoke in their rooms, but wasn't aware that smoking on the balcony would incur a fine as well.

I'd also like to add that it's SO wonderful to see everyone discussing this very controversial topic in a polite and friendly manner, with lots of useful information being exchanged. Yay, DISers! :grouphug:

We just returned tonight from another fabulous WDW vacation! Two of the designated smoking areas at the AKL are located in the highest traffic areas of the resort. One is on the way to the bus stops and one is on the way to the pool and you have to walk through the smoke to get to both. You can avoid the first by going to and from the busses through the gift shop.

I was just wondering what the DSA ware like at OKW? From the maps they are only next to the pools and could be a long walk from your room. I am traveling with my DD5 and hate the thought if dragging her halfway around the resort so I can smoke. My mom is undecided if she is going on this trip with me so we can take turns going to smoke.

From reading the map of OKW it appears you can smoke at the entrance to your building as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter