(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were at POR from 5/27 to 6/6 in lodge 18. That used to be where some smoking rooms were.

When we checked in no info. was given about the upcoming change.
On 6/1 all the large outdoor ashtrays that were placed around the lodges and various resorts areas "disappeared".
No messages were imparted to current guests (letter put under door, phone message, etc.)
I inquired at guest relations as the to location of DSA and no one knew where they were located. Since I hadn't been officially informed I continued to smoke just outside my room and anywhere on the outside grounds of the resort. (so did everyone else)

Now there were no ashtrays so everyone was putting butts out on the ground. If I hadn't read on this board about the ban I wouldn't have known anything about it.

Looking at the new maps of DSA, it doesn't work for me. There is one DSA area per lodge outside the laundry room and some lodges have no DSA. If you are on the other side of the lodge from where the DSA is it's not convenient at all. None are in a covered area.

If we go back, which is highly doubtful at this point, we will not stay on property again.

On a side note...
I was in the tub last night, thinking of our disney vacation of course, and how the new DSA would work out. I had a question or two and was going to PM trek this morning about the possibility of creating a FAQ thread regarding this topic or how we can go about asking smoking-related questions. Didn't get the PM out, cause when I signed on to the resorts board to pull up his CP, I saw this thread... lol... so thanks Trek :hug:

I guess my one question is this:
How flexible is Disney being with room requests close to DSA? I've noticed that at resorts like CBR, there really isn't an issue... but at some (especially deluxes and a few DVCs) the smoking sections are strictly by the main building and pools. If you mark "close to DSA" on your reservation is Disney willing to meet this request?
I guess it would seem pretty "unfair" to me to get placed in a room a good distance from a DSA and have disney expect me to use that or pay $250. I almost feel that disney "should" be obligated to place those who have requested "close to DSA" in those rooms.

I'm not too worried about my stay at ASmu as we are in a preferred section and the smoking area isn't to far from the main pool. We'll most likely ask for a ground floor room in building 10 at check-in... but will take whatever we can get really.
IF... (told you I was a dreamer) we get that email with an upgrade pin, we'd like to stay at SSR (we're interested in buying DVC anyways, we'd eventually stay there) and when I noticed the DSA layout, I became a little concerned.

Ok... I think that was my only question!

I am not a smoker
We are staying at the GF in July and my MIL is
I was surprised at the smoking spots
we are staying sugar loaf concierge and she will have to leave the building and walk somewhere to smoke
I am sure this will pain, for me as she wont want to go alone and I am not going with her
Looking at the map I did feel kinda bad
who wants to get up and take a hike to smoke
MIL says maybe this will help her cut back
I hope so

Just wondering if anyone had any first hand information on guests checking in and paying the $ 250 upfront as they intend(ed) to smoke on their balconies/porches?

I was also wondering about this
my MIL is a smoker and she wont smoking in the room or on the balcony we are all non smokers
but she smells of smoke badly
she smokes in her home so all of her stuff smells
I am worried they will think she smoked in the room from it
I am not overeacting
she lives in FL and we are in MA when she sends the kis cards
they reek of smoke

There was a recent report from a guest who just returned from OKW and was given a room in a former smoking building. They had a great deal of trouble as the room had definitely not been cleaned appropriately to remove the smoke smell. It's obvious that at least at OKW, they did not take the rooms out of inventory to "de-smoke" them. I'm now forewarned and since I always make a request for nonsmoking for medical reasons, I'll now request a room that was not a former smoking room or in a former smoking building. ---Kathy

FYI - All reservation confirmations coming from Disney now have the following statement on them, "This resort is a smoke-free environment except for designated outdoor smoking locations. A $250 - $500.00 room recovery fee will be charged for smoking in Guest rooms, on balconies, or on patios."

FYI - All reservation confirmations coming from Disney now have the following statement on them, "This resort is a smoke-free environment except for designated outdoor smoking locations. A $250 - $500.00 room recovery fee will be charged for smoking in Guest rooms, on balconies, or on patios."

What would would they be 'recovering" if you smoked on a balconey. I wouldn't smoke in a room but fail to see what harm smoking on the balconey ALONE ,not puffing when people are walking past , it's the same air as in the DSA. I fully agree if people are walking by on the balcony it could be a problem, but I smoked in the early a.m on the balcony before even Mousekeeping arrived and saw no one. so maybe I'll just offer up the $$ ahead of time!! One thing DSA's need to be much more clearly matrked and advertised . I agree with the posters saying where i s the DSA at the resorts

At the WL right now and as of tonight there have been 4 people that I know of that have been charged $250 for smoking in their rooms/on their balconies. So it sounds like there is no "soft opening" for this new policy.
VERY cool. Thanks for the information! It's good to know Disney's enforcing its policy right from the start!

Signed,
A respectful smoker

What would would they be 'recovering" if you smoked on a balconey. I wouldn't smoke in a room but fail to see what harm smoking on the balconey ALONE ,not puffing when people are walking past , it's the same air as in the DSA. I fully agree if people are walking by on the balcony it could be a problem, but I smoked in the early a.m on the balcony before even Mousekeeping arrived and saw no one. so maybe I'll just offer up the $$ ahead of time!! One thing DSA's need to be much more clearly matrked and advertised . I agree with the posters saying where i s the DSA at the resorts

On our stay at Pop Century last month, we had a non-smoking room in a non-smoking building. I don't know how, but when people were smoking on the outdoor walkway, it seeped into our room. Because of the smell of smoke, I opened the curtain and saw people smoking there---otherwise, if it hadn't been for the smoke smell in our room, I wouldn't have known.

Karla B.

For balconies/patios, I don't think it's being done to recover costs, but as a deterrent. If someone smokes on their balcony, all the nearby balconies get the smoke as well. If the smoker's neighbors are bothered by cigarette smoke, they can't use their balconies.

It's really amazing how far that smoke can travel. In a previous apartment of mine, if the downstairs neighbors were smoking in their bedroom, and we both had our bedroom windows open, the smoke smell in my room would be so strong I'd have to get up and close the window.

I just made Sept 30 - Oct 4th ressies at POR for us and my parents. My parents do smoke so I looked at the map and requested "Near DSA" when I made the ressie. She was really nice about it. I know its a request only, but we're staying waterview Mansions anyway and those rooms look closer to the DSAs then any other one.

So if you put "close to DSA" on your request, it might help a little.

Thank you Trekker and the other mods who decided to give this thread a try. It has been very informative so far to hear from guests who are actually on-site and reporting where the DSA are and how close to their assigned rooms...thanks again :thumbsup2

For balconies/patios, I don't think it's being done to recover costs, but as a deterrent.

Exactly what I think - a punitive deterrent threat only, as clearly no actual 'harm' is effected to the balcony or the plastic furnature thereon.

It could be assessed, but may not be if no complains are recieved. As to wheather or not "evidence" will be required to inflict the financial charge, that remains to be seen (one guest taking a time/date stamped digital photo of an 'offender' and submitted to the front desk?...or HouseKeeping reporting the 'find' of a butt/ash? etc..).

Hi all--

Been lurking reading the posts, as a smoker myself, usually traveling with non-smokers I ususally take a walk around the resort looking for the smoking areas. I was happy to see that POFQ's smoking areas have not changed. When I looked at the map, they were all in the same places as before. :) Which will make my oct trip easier.

Its so nice to see an intelligent well mannared exchange on this topic, I want to add my thanks to the powers that be for allowing us to discusss this, and to thank those who reported in from on property.

Cait

Just wondering if anyone had any first hand information on guests checking in and paying the $ 250 upfront as they intend(ed) to smoke on their balconies/porches?

One guy I talked to had tried to do this.....they would not allow it and told him it was the fine "per occurance". Needless to say he wasn't very happy since they called it a deep cleaning fee, his reply is you are only going to deep clean my room once.

honestly i would rather people smoke in their room or balcony than outside the door where i have to walk yhruogh it and my kids have to. thats just me i guess.

I'm curious about the smoking areas at the Polynesian, particularly at the pool. Has anyone been there since 6/1? I looked at the map but still not sure where they exactly the DSA is at the Volcano Pool. It looks to me like it is in the area of the covered tables near the slide and I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter