College Football 2020 (and 2021??)

And when you play in the meat grinder that is the SEC Western division with no cupcake games this season, the bottom half of the division is probably a little better than their record indicates.

If the bottom of the "no cupcake" division can barely cowbell out a game against Tulsa, I guess that's a good consolation?

I jest...MAYbe :duck:

CFB standings/bowls are a dumpster fire this year, but at least it's something to keep us entertained.

View attachment 547283

If the bottom of the "no cupcake" division can barely cowbell out a game against Tulsa, I guess that's a good consolation?

I jest...MAYbe :duck:

CFB standings/bowls are a dumpster fire this year, but at least it's something to keep us entertained.

Well, Tulsa only lost by 3 points in their conference championship game this month to Cincinnati who is ranked #8 in the country. So that's where the upper echelon of a Gang of 5 conference intersects with the lower echelon of a Power 5 conference. And thus validates why a Gang of 5 team didn't make the CFP.

Plus Leach had to play the season with the team he had. He needs a few recruiting classes to get his own players that fit his system and to run off some of the dead weight in the current lineup via the transfer portal.

Ed

Not trying to start a war, unless it's between you and tiggerdad again when you two debated on when Alabama was at their worst (I took a lot of good notes for the next time I had a debate at work).

I may have some unconscious bias to MS State. The cowbell in general makes me cringe (reminds me too much of many of our opponents in HS football Friday nights in rural MO) and when I worked in Memphis the UT and MS State rivalry in the office may have rubbed off on me.

And for my Tulsa disparaging...they are getting better each year, but it's still a team that Army trades about 50/50 with. I don't think Army would have much of a chance with a Power 5 school, though WVU is trying to change my mind...

What happened at the MS State / Tulsa game? Were they using the fight to try to add another win to their stellar 4-win seasons?

That is just Mississippi State. I live amongst that bunch and they make my eyes roll horribly. I like how #4 for MSU literally stomped on a man while that man was on the ground and then #4 ran off like the coward he is.cowbell.

Hey Ed, do we debate Dennis Franchione? :rotfl2:

That is just Mississippi State. I live amongst that bunch and they make my eyes roll horribly. I like how #4 for MSU literally stomped on a man while that man was on the ground and then #4 ran off like the coward he is.cowbell.

Hey Ed, do we debate Dennis Franchione? :rotfl2:

We'd have to draw straws, tiggerdad - the loser has to support/defend Coach Fran (and regale us again with his stories of him and his wife Kim cuddling on their couch at home :crazy2: )

The winner on the straw draw, though, has to support/defend Mike DuBose for the coup de grace. Although I don't know that either one of us could do that.

West Virginia held out against Army tonight, PTP. Dang I wish the SEC had brought WV into the conference rather than Mizzou.

This is where I remind everyone that Tulane has more SEC football championships than Miss St.

I would bring Tulane back if we could drop Vanderbilt, Pluto. But the powers that be won't allow it. Vandy has a national baseball program. ⚾

CFP games tomorrow. I'll post about those then. Got to get my two cheesecakes into the fridge tonight. Cooking a turkey with the trimmings tomorrow.

Ed

We'd have to draw straws, tiggerdad - the loser has to support/defend Coach Fran (and regale us again with his stories of him and his wife Kim cuddling on their couch at home :crazy2: )

The winner on the straw draw, though, has to support/defend Mike DuBose for the coup de grace. Although I don't know that either one of us could do that.

The only thing that kept Mike Dubose out of our earlier debate is the fact that Shaun Alexander carried that team. Almost literally.

Dubose was great DC under Gene Stallings, but that was it.

So this morning I'll say this about today's Bama-Notre Dame game.

ND is a solid team and I think better that their 2012 version that Bama last played.

Bama's offensive line, even with the injury to starting center Landon Dickerson, is still strong.

On the other side of the ball, the Bama defense will stop ND enough to win.

The line started at 17.5 and moved up to 19.5-20.0 favoring Bama. But I believe that Bama will win but not cover.

Ed

PS - I just want to get thru this game and get a crack at one of the teams in the other playoff game. We owe them both.

Bama v ND is starting to get ugly here in the 3rd.

Yeah Saban/Sark took their foot off the gas late in the 2nd quarter. Had we kept it going we'd have over 50 pts now. We've seen this before and ND will likely get a late TD here in the closing minutes. Interesting to see if we bother to put any more points up.

Ed

Saban and Sark have such a responsive offense this year that they can put their foot on the pedal and dial up 3 TD's in 3 straight possessions like they did at the start of the game then back off and coast for a while as the defense does their thing. Then apply more pressure as needed to keep the margin comfortable and the game out of reach for the opponent.

Saban doesn't care what the line is - he wants to win but not embarrass the other team/head coach (unless they have it coming). Now a few lately had it coming and Alabama delivered: Harbaugh in last year's bowl game when Bama scored an unnecessary TD in the last minute and Orgeron in this year's game (big margin).

Let's sit back tonight and watch the next game to find out who we face. popcorn::

Bama Ed

Also, Najee Harris hurdled a dude that hadn’t lowered any to tackle him. That was non-sense. Like, Alice in Wonderland level non-sense.

I can respect Clemson, for obvious reasons. They have held their own for several years now and proved they can be consistent though the conference competition leaves a ton to be desired. "The" on the other hand has only played, what...5 games? Little hard to know what "The" has just yet. Who knows, "The" could pull off a mauling tonight and prove they hold their own.

Sitting back and watching...

Also, Najee Harris hurdled a dude that hadn’t lowered any to tackle him. That was non-sense. Like, Alice in Wonderland level non-sense.

There's actually a story behind that! On Tuesday, Harris answered questions at a press conference on his touchdown celebration paying homage to U.S. Women’s Soccer Team captain Megan Rapinoe. He then went on to say how much he respects the star on and off the field. Rapinoe responded in a tweet, asking Harris to “hurdle someone for me” in the College Football Playoff Semifinal on New Years Day. The promise was kept with five minutes left in the first quarter.

Well, she got her request.

Why in the world is Fields still in the game? They're up 21 28 points and presumably have another game...and the rest of his life to play. Is the OSU back up QB that terrible? Kudos for being a tough guy, might be time to ask for a few drives off.

"The" is delivering that mauling i had mentioned. "The" looks pretty good, but Clemson is committing some really uncharacteristic misfires all over place. Can't shoot yourself in foot but so many times.

I agree, why is he still in there.

Why in the world is Fields still in the game? They're up 21 28 points and presumably have another game...and the rest of his life to play. Is the OSU back up QB that terrible? Kudos for being a tough guy, might be time to ask for a few drives off.

Clemson eliminated Ohio State in their College Football Playoff game last year and the losing score was posted in their weight room and locker room for the last 12 months to motivate them. So this was a revenge game for Ohio State thus I can see keeping the starters in to run up the score.

Plus Dabo ranked Ohio State 11th in his final Coach's Poll this season that he filled out weekly simply because they hadn't played as many games as the 10 teams above them. OSU felt disrespected which was additional motivation. I hope they got their anger out of their system. :rolleyes:

Alabama is opening as a 7.0-7.5 favorite with the total around 77. We have 10 days to rest, recover, and plan our living room tailgate menu.

Bama Ed

Clemson eliminated Ohio State in their College Football Playoff game last year and the losing score was posted in their weight room and locker room for the last 12 months to motivate them. So this was a revenge game for Ohio State thus I can see keeping the starters in to run up the score.

Plus Dabo ranked Ohio State 11th in his final Coach's Poll this season that he filled out weekly simply because they hadn't played as many games as the 10 teams above them. OSU felt disrespected which was additional motivation. I hope they got their anger out of their system. :rolleyes:

Understand all of that, but playing injured when you don't have to before the final game and the draft seem crazy. Maybe the injury wouldn't cause permanent injury, but seems a bit odd for a guy to put his number 1 commodity (his body) on the line for revenge.

Bama vs "The" for the NT

You can bet your rear coach Saban will be reminding them about the last time these two faced each other in the playoffs. Bama was big favorite and "The", although not know as "The" at the time, ran all over them.

He won't let them forget it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter