comparing wait times for smugglers run and rides with fast passes and there stand bye times is unfair

Thecouch

DIS Veteran
I've seen a lot of people here saying the new star wars ride has been a failure due to reasonable wait times and comparing it to rock'n'roller coaster and similar fast pass rides . this does not give you a accurate comparison . smugglers run has no fastpasses so if wait time is 45min everyone is waiting 45min . If rock'n'roller coaster has a 60min wait time but 80% of people they let in are using fastpasses this reduce actual avg wait times by a lot .Lets say fastpass wait times is 10min and stand bye is 60min at a 80:20 ratio this works out about avg wait time as 20min .

People were saying it was a failure before the land even opened, lol.

It's far, far, far too early to be saying something is or isn't a failure. And what is the metric for even judging if a ride is a failure?

And since when are reasonable wait times a bad thing? People are acting like they want long wait times. It's such a ridiculous debate to have and doesn't make sense from almost every perspective.

Last edited:

I was actually telling my daughter about this subject yesterday, she works at MFSR and she has been giving me reports on how very impressed all the management is with their capacity hours, reaching their goals several hours a day and how efficient it is.
So I brought this subject of how people are saying the land is a failure because the waits are not long, and along with what has been already mentioned here (ride capacity is different than others, lack of fp, etc) she said: "Why does it matter if it has a short wait? Isn't that what people want, not to wait in line? We are working are hardest to minimize wait times while we can, when fp kicks in it'll be 80 fp to 10 standby, the long lines will come. Ever since previews all the pods have been going at full capacity, so people are riding it"
So of course, once the long lines come, people will complain about how not very efficient the ride is :D
Also, from a money point of view, seeing as almost everyone walking around has a lightsaber, or droid, or a creature or a hat or a shirt from BSO, I say they're doing alright

I was actually telling my daughter about this subject yesterday, she works at MFSR and she has been giving me reports on how very impressed all the management is with their capacity hours, reaching their goals several hours a day and how efficient it is.
So I brought this subject of how people are saying the land is a failure because the waits are not long, and along with what has been already mentioned here (ride capacity is different than others, lack of fp, etc) she said: "Why does it matter if it has a short wait? Isn't that what people want, not to wait in line? We are working are hardest to minimize wait times while we can, when fp kicks in it'll be 80 fp to 10 standby, the long lines will come. Ever since previews all the pods have been going at full capacity, so people are riding it"
So of course, once the long lines come, people will complain about how not very efficient the ride is :D
Also, from a money point of view, seeing as almost everyone walking around has a lightsaber, or droid, or a creature or a hat or a shirt from BSO, I say they're doing alright
Exactly. If anything, I think really long wait times is a failure to plan and organize. It means the park isn't being efficient or hasn't anticipated demand properly. My personal experience is that the land is a success. I was able to experience everything I wanted to without much hassle and without too long of a wait. I walked away very satisfied with my GE experience. I haven't been able to say that about Disney in a long time.

There's a lot of people that don't like the new Star Wars content since Disney bought Lucasfilm, so they're trying to create a false narrative that the land is a failure. Also, combining the words Star Wars, Disney, and failure makes for decent clickbait. Savi's is sold out pretty much until January, and I definitely can't find an Oga's reservation for a trip my family is making in early December, so it seems like a popular place to be. Just the fact than a $200 experience is booked all day long for several months points to the success of the land.

I went to Universal the week after the new Hagrid coaster opened and couldn't get on it any of the 5 days I was there. The only way to get on that ride would have been to get in the park at park open, wait the 3 to 4 hours it took for them to open the ride for the day, and not leave the line during one of the many breakdowns. So basically, an entire day of vacation would be dedicated to waiting in the heat for one ride. The ride is getting glowing reviews, and I'll go back when they get the bugs worked out, but the way the operations team handled the opening was definitely a failure. It seems like Smuggler's Run is working well, not breaking down, was designed for high capacity, and parks are open longer to spread out the crowds.

I'd actually be curious to see what the wait times would be for FOP if they did away with FP+.

I've seen a lot of people here saying the new star wars ride has been a failure due to reasonable wait times and comparing it to rock'n'roller coaster and similar fast pass rides . this does not give you a accurate comparison . smugglers run has no fastpasses so if wait time is 45min everyone is waiting 45min . If rock'n'roller coaster has a 60min wait time but 80% of people they let in are using fastpasses this reduce actual avg wait times by a lot .Lets say fastpass wait times is 10min and stand bye is 60min at a 80:20 ratio this works out about avg wait time as 20min .
This is exactly correct but many people will never. ever. EVER come to terms with it. For whatever reason many can't seem to grasp that FP drastically inflates stand by wait times and that having NO FP would shorten stand by waits by a LOT. It's how us old folks rode things back before FP or EP or MaxPass ever came in to being. Everyone stood in line and everyone was ok with it.

This is exactly correct but many people will never. ever. EVER come to terms with it. For whatever reason many can't seem to grasp that FP drastically inflates stand by wait times and that having NO FP would shorten stand by waits by a LOT. It's how us old folks rode things back before FP or EP or MaxPass ever came in to being. Everyone stood in line and everyone was ok with it.

Not everyone was okay with waiting in line though. My theory is that Disney realized a lot of families were waiting to go to Disney World until all their kids had reached a certain age and could wait in the lines, and Fastpass allowed them to appeal to parents of toddlers and babies. Ever turn on Disney Junior? It is one nonstop advertisement for Disney World between shows. They can get away with doing without FP for Smugglers' run for now because it appeals more to older kids and adults, but if they did away with Fastpass at attractions like peter pan, 7DMT, and Frozen Ever After, I honestly don't think going to Disney World would work for a lot of people. I know it wouldn't for my family--which is why we never go to Six Flags or Busch Gardens despite really loving theme parks--the lines are just too much for little kids. If we can't fastpass or rope drop a ride, we don't ride it.

I will say, I think Hurricane Dorian, EEMH and the fact that September is always low season are all contributing to keeping wait times for smuggler's run artificially low. The real test will be in November, when EEMH and hurricane season ends.

Not everyone was okay with waiting in line though. My theory is that Disney realized a lot of families were waiting to go to Disney World until all their kids had reached a certain age and could wait in the lines, and Fastpass allowed them to appeal to parents of toddlers and babies. Ever turn on Disney Junior? It is one nonstop advertisement for Disney World between shows. They can get away with doing without FP for Smugglers' run for now because it appeals more to older kids and adults, but if they did away with Fastpass at attractions like peter pan, 7DMT, and Frozen Ever After, I honestly don't think going to Disney World would work for a lot of people. I know it wouldn't for my family--which is why we never go to Six Flags or Busch Gardens despite really loving theme parks--the lines are just too much for little kids. If we can't fastpass or rope drop a ride, we don't ride it.

I will say, I think Hurricane Dorian, EEMH and the fact that September is always low season are all contributing to keeping wait times for smuggler's run artificially low. The real test will be in November, when EEMH and hurricane season ends.
I don't think the discussion is about getting rid of fp, the discussion is about explaining that because MFSR doesn't have a fp at the moment the lines are shorter for it. Obviously this attraction plus RotR will have very little impact on babies and toddlers because of it's height requirement

Oh, I was not saying a thing about getting rid of FP, not sure where that came from. I wasn't and don't want to get rid of it. But fact is, not having it for this ride at all means you can't compare wait times to other rides. THAT is all the discussion is about.
That said, as to kids not being able to stand in line, heavens, hogwash. How did we do it in the olden days? ;) Theme parks aren't new and kids stood in lines for them, little kids. And they lived to tell about it (I'm proof of that, LOL)
Lines never hurt anyone, kids included. Does them good actually, if you ask me. There's not a fast pass for all things in life and sometimes you just gotta wait. Society, in general, has gotta stop thinking kids aren't capable of things these days. Walking, standing in lines, being constantly entertained when in lines, all things that are mentioned at times. Kids can do and go more than they are given credit for. Would they rather take the easy route? Sure. Who doesn't. Doesn't mean that standing in line or walking more is bad. Take away the option and you'd be surprised at what becomes ok. Goes without saying, this is not including any with development issues. Just your standard developmentally typical kid.

I honestly don't think going to Disney World would work for a lot of people. I know it wouldn't for my family--which is why we never go to Six Flags or Busch Gardens despite really loving theme parks--the lines are just too much for little kids. If we can't fastpass or rope drop a ride, we don't ride it.
Well you could purchase Six Flags and Busch Gardens 'get ahead of the line' passes. Disney's FP system is included with theme park tickets..for now :)

There is a group out there that want "Disney" Star Wars to fail .. so even though they are supposedly star Wars fans .. they will do everything (like posting daily videos) saying Star Wars is dead and SWGE is a failure. (because they just "hate" everything Disney does with Star Wars because .. it isn't the original trilogy).

These people will probably take wait times and photos from during the hurricane to "prove" their point.

The low wait times for MFSR is amazing .. it means they built a great efficient attraction .. but it also helps there is a lot to do and see in the land itself. (unlike say Toy Story Land .. where ALL there is to do is go on the 3 rides).

For me, they should eliminate FPs for EVERY new and upcoming attraction to let the lines go more smoothly and give everyone a fair shake at waiting for it without inflated wait times DUE to Fast Pass.

Every new attraction will IMMEDIATELY become a high demand attraction and because there is so many guests now (thanks to good neighbor hotels) that can schedule fast passes at 60+ days -- it is becoming WAY too hard and frustrating to try and get a FP for a high demand attraction because of the "bonus" you get for longer stays.

I sense a change to FP is probably coming to help make these high demand attractions more available for guests with a more "average" stay.

I personally want fast passes, virtual lines or whatever system they can put in place, to minimize the chances that my family have to stand in a line for close to an hour to do a 5 or 3 minutes ride, this idea that I have to stand in line for this long, so every ones line can move faster, specially after purposely staying in a Disney hotel to get fast passes 60 days prior, and extra magic hours, sounds a little unreasonable to me.

We went to our first Disney trip last Christmas week and between the combination of extra magic hours and fast passes we didn't do any lines longer than 20 minutes.

This time around we are going to a Universal Studios vacation in December, the week before the parks get really busy, this could have been an opportunity for us to stay at a Disney hotel for at least one day, and do DHS before we start our Universal vacation, so we could have experience GE and the only park we skipped last time, we were planing to be at the park on December 16, according to the crowds calendar a 7/10 day, but we are afraid of doing it because that park doesn't have extra extra magic hour, or even just regular extra magic hour for that whole week, and we don't know how accurate the 7/10 really is when on Dec the 5th The Rise of the Resistance is going to open.

Any opinions about going on Dec 16 to DHS without extra magic hours and only one fast past for a ride with this new tier system?

The only thing I can say is I'd say there's little to no chance that they'll have EMH in December after the ride opens. I totally expect them to be added at some point.

The only thing I can say is I'd say there's little to no chance that they'll have EMH in December after the ride opens. I totally expect them to be added at some point.
But they added the extra extra magic hour right after GE opened.

I guess is wishful thinking on my part, we come from so far and is a shame that we won't be able to visit GE while being so close to the park.

Virtual queues seem like the way to go going forward. It could be that's waiting in a show room or signing into a ride and coming back at a scheduled time. I think that's what the standby lines should be turned into. I would be fine having to wait less than 30 minutes in a queue if that meant I needed to come back at a later time. I hope they test something like this on newer rides going forward starting with MFSR. The only issue I can see is the general areas would be way more crowded without people standing in line for hours on end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter