Complicated souvenir question...

ShelbyK

Mouseketeer
Hopefully this is the right board for this question .. we are doing a Disney+Siesta Key beach trip in May and my in-laws, SIL and niece were invited to join us. my MIL, SIL, and niece (who is 8, same age as my daughter) really wanted to do Disney but my FIL said absolutely not and he only wanted to go to the beach (my SIL lives with in-laws and can't afford to take niece to Disney on her own).. so we will do our Disney and meet them in Siesta Key. I've already talked with my daughter about not bragging or talking too much about Disney to my niece because I'm sure it will be hard for her wishing she could have gone. I want to get her a really special souvenir and I was wondering if you all had good ideas for something that will make her smile but at the same time not make her wish she could have gone..I hope that makes sense..thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions

I don't know what your budget is, but if you want more of a special "keepsake" that she can cherish for a long time rather than some plastic junk, I would look at Arribas Bros in Disney springs. They have some pretty great stuff there.

Marketplace Co-Op also has some neat (and affordable) prints of artwork that could be another option.

I've also told the girls we will get dressed up and go out to a fancy dinner in Siesta Key

I don't want to keep suggesting it but...

Does your FIL golf? Disney has a lot of gold courses. He could golf while you guys do Disney? Is it an anti-Disney thing, a money thing? Both?

There are artist sometimes set up around that will personalize paintings of princesses etc. Not all the time. But it could be something cool that doesn't rub it in her face. When I was a teenager I got one for my baby sister (who was 5 at the time) she LOVED it.

I don't want to keep suggesting it but...

Does your FIL golf? Disney has a lot of gold courses. He could golf while you guys do Disney? Is it an anti-Disney thing, a money thing? Both?

There are artist sometimes set up around that will personalize paintings of princesses etc. Not all the time. But it could be something cool that doesn't rub it in her face. When I was a teenager I got one for my baby sister (who was 5 at the time) she LOVED it.

He doesn't golf and he has an anti-disney thing, thinks it's a huge waste of money and it was like pulling teeth just to get him to book the beach portion of the trip ... apparently they went one summer when my husband was a teenager and hated the crowds. My MIL is super disappointed she wanted to go with ALL her grandkids to Disney but she won't argue with him and has no income of her own. I have some serious guilt about this whole thing and it's gona b hard for all of us not to talk too much about the Disney trip

So far I think I'm going to try to find a cool box or container that she can put shells in.. I'll get her some specialty cupcakes and whatever other treats I find that aren't in the shape of a Mickey head.. and maybe I'll find some unique things in WS that don't scream Disney.

Doesn't answer your question, but I will share my thoughts.......I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't focus on getting her special things on Siesta Key? A Disney souvenir just brings up Disney and experiences she missed. I think it is nice that you would provide her with a Disney vacation if not for things outside of your control....and I imagine you hate to think she might feel left out......why not focus on your together time? I would think she would enjoy picking out some fun clothes or jewelry or something when you are together. (Everyone's family dynamic is different, of course. If you normally bring her gifts when you come home from trips or she has requested a Disney souvenir, different story. If you simply must take her something from Disney, a special container she can use for shells as suggested by PP is a fun idea.....should be able to find something cool in the World Showcase.)

I would vote w the buy her something special when you are together. Maybe buy the girls the same something?

I agree with this. I don't think I would get her anything in WDW. Wait until the beach trip and buy her something special there so she can remember the lovely trip she had with her family and not think about the Disney trip she wasn't allowed to go on. I do hope someday you will be able to bring her there!

I love the chocolate at the ganachery in Disney Springs. I usually bring my mom home some. It's expensive but very good.

Hopefully this is the right board for this question .. we are doing a Disney+Siesta Key beach trip in May and my in-laws, SIL and niece were invited to join us. my MIL, SIL, and niece (who is 8, same age as my daughter) really wanted to do Disney but my FIL said absolutely not and he only wanted to go to the beach (my SIL lives with in-laws and can't afford to take niece to Disney on her own).. so we will do our Disney and meet them in Siesta Key. I've already talked with my daughter about not bragging or talking too much about Disney to my niece because I'm sure it will be hard for her wishing she could have gone. I want to get her a really special souvenir and I was wondering if you all had good ideas for something that will make her smile but at the same time not make her wish she could have gone..I hope that makes sense..thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions

I think you are very sweet to be looking out for your niece's feelings. I am in the minority but think a set of classic Mickey and Minnie plushes would bring her some of the Disney magic, even if she didn't get to go. You also mentioned getting dressed up for dinner, maybe princess gowns for dinner each girl so she can feel like a Disney princess that night?

There are two little girls on my street who are like my granddaughters. They came to Disney with us one time with tehri Mom. She hated it. They were supposed to join us on the next trip, Mom backed out but said we could take them. Dad (divorced) said no. We felt awful, but it was out of our hands. WE decided to talk as little as possible about the trip, however we knew they knew we were going. I bought the girls each a plush toy but I also purchased a precious moments porcelain doll in their favorite character. I thik that had I chosen to pretend they knew nothing about the trip they woudl have felt badly and forgotten.

One of the things I have discovered is that kids are very smart. I bet your niece knows exactly the reason she is not joining your family in Disney, and that it is not you. Personally, I would get her a souvenir that she woudl like and then make the Siesta Key portion you spend with her extra special. You said you are going for a "fancy" dinner, so I think I woudl focus on that or something like it. GEt her a new tropical dress, or something for the meal, or maybe get the girls tootsies done. Something that brings out the anticipation of her trip.

A friend of mine had purchased his daughters when they were about 5 or so a Pandora bracelet one year. Then each year, if they take a special trip or for Christmas he buys them a memorable charm. So when they went to Disney he got them a Magic Kingdom charm etc. No they are young so it's given to them but they didn't get the bracelet until they were a little older. I actually now do the same with my wife and will be doing it with my Daughter when she gets a little older.

This may not be right for your niece, but it me be a special idea for someone in your family or on the boards here.

Sarasota local, I work on Siesta Key. If your interested in doing something special with both girls while in this area I highly suggest looking into either the Nature Safari Eco-tour or the Sea Life Encounter tour at Mote Marine Aquarium. Both are offered via The Sarasota Bay Explores at Mote Aquarium at 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway. Reservations highly suggested by calling (941) 388-4200.

My kids loved both of these tours when they were about the girls age. Both tours take you out on the bay, which is very calm water. A marine biologist is on board. On the Sea Life Encounter tour they take a large net and drag it on the bottom of the bay and bring what ever is found to place in touch tanks. Then they talk about all the interesting sea life found, you may get to touch somethings too, and they do a Q&A. Afterward everything in released back in the bay. You also tour the wetlands and mangroves and learn about the wildlife here. The Nature Safari is the tour that my family and most guest we have taken there prefer. Once again you go out on the bay with a marine biologist and knowledgeable volunteers. Then you get to help the marine biologist do their jobs. After a brief explanation your give small nets and you actually get in the water (very shallow & calm) and collect sea life. They also dredge the bottom with a larger net on the opposite side of where your collecting sea life. Then everything is brought back on board and placed in touch tanks. It's really cool to learn about what is actually living in this natural habitat. It's very educational, but the kids are having so much fun they won't even know their basically encountering a living science lesson. They also get to help log info on some of the species the marine biologist are studying. If time allows they will take you to tour the wetlands or mangroves. We have had a few tours on the Nature Safari where they spotted dolphins in the bay and they opted to let us watch them from in the boat instead of touring the wetlands/mangroves.

The cost is $29 (adults), and $25 (ages 3-12) for the Sea Life Encounter tour - $44/$33 if you want to add the aquarium too.
Nature Safari is $45/$40.
Each are only offers certain days of the week and do book up so reservations are highly suggested.

If you do the Nature Safari I would suggest wearing water shoes, bring a water proof camera and a towel.
Also, get there early, the boat leaves on time regardless if your there or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter