Confirmed New Security measures coming to Disney Parks

I just got back and let me tell you the new security is a joke. They might as well have kids do it. They didn't even check most of my pockets in my bags, I could've gotten anything in. I never went through the detector, which means I could have had it on me. It will only be a matter of time before the have a real threat and will miss it. I hope I'm not there.

Personally, I'm in favor of the extra security. Also, I doubt Americas "gun culture" is the problem here. Pretty sure they are concerned about terrorism.

I am all for security also, and that is what I'm getting at. Terrorist wouldn't have a very hard time getting through at disney with the way security is right now.

We're local and have been many times since the new measures were implemented (rarely early in the morning so usually when it's less busy). I always have a small bag and go through bag check and have never been selected for extra security. DH (50's) goes through the no-bag line and nearly every time is selected to go through the metal detector. He commented on it to them this weekend and they told him "when you're the only one playing the lottery you win every time!"

Do you scan your magic band before or after the additional screening? Wondering if it can be used to flag certain entrants?

Personally, I'm in favor of the extra security. Also, I doubt Americas "gun culture" is the problem here. Pretty sure they are concerned about terrorism.

But plenty of mass shooters were just mentally ill and didn't have a terrorist agenda. (That community college in Oregon, Sandy Hook Elementary, Virginia Tech, Isla Vista in Santa Barbara) A lot of suicidal people don't act very suicidal until right before they take their own lives. They can be very happy-go-lucky to mask their pain.

I just got back and let me tell you the new security is a joke. They might as well have kids do it. They didn't even check most of my pockets in my bags, I could've gotten anything in. I never went through the detector, which means I could have had it on me. It will only be a matter of time before the have a real threat and will miss it. I hope I'm not there.

It pains me to say it but this is absolutely true. Cursory inspections of bags aren't going to stop someone who really wants to do something. Not when people are allowed, for example, to roll massive strollers right in.

We were on property 2 weeks after 9/11. We already had the trip planned and decided to go. We'd never seen so many uniformed security walking the parks right out in the open at WDW before. We also saw a lot of management types wearing suits and higher-level cast uniforms just standing around watching the crowd. Even then, the way it made me feel was "they will respond if something happens, but they aren't going to be able to prevent it from happening in the first place".

We're local and have been many times since the new measures were implemented (rarely early in the morning so usually when it's less busy). I always have a small bag and go through bag check and have never been selected for extra security. DH (50's) goes through the no-bag line and nearly every time is selected to go through the metal detector. He commented on it to them this weekend and they told him "when you're the only one playing the lottery you win every time!"

LOL. That couldn't be further from the truth-- not much with numbers, are they?

Now, had they said when you are the only one in a 50/50 raffle, they would have been on to something....

What some folks are discounting is that what goes on behind the scenes, profiling, facial ID, body language, type of bags, shape, bulges in clothing, etc...is as important and likely more important and effective then being picked or not picked in line.

AKK

What some folks are discounting is that what goes on behind the scenes, profiling, facial ID, body language, type of bags, shape, bulges in clothing, etc...is as important and likely more important and effective then being picked or not picked in line.

AKK

I have seen such claims many times in the security threads here. What I have yet to see is any evidence that this profiling from behind the scenes activity is actually happening. It is non-trivial to do the sort of profiling you describe, and even if you are good at it, you are dead wrong much of the time.

I have seen such claims many times in the security threads here. What I have yet to see is any evidence that this profiling from behind the scenes activity is actually happening. It is non-trivial to do the sort of profiling you describe, and even if you are good at it, you are dead wrong much of the time.

I believe the point is.*behind the scenes*..if everyone could see what was going on, it would not be very effective. I have seen security people at the line with ear plugs, talking to someone behind the scenes and then look though the lines. Seems to me they were just told to check on someone. I have seen handlers and dogs react to someone talking in their ear and slowly wonder in a different direction or the lines. Again obviously directed by security behind the scenes.

This is Disney and other parks and venues, malls ball games etc.

Computer Facial Id is easily better then 90% correct. Even if they are wrong, so what...............security is not 100% correct in any case..........lets face it, nothing in life is 100% perfect and if they are wrong, all that happens is someone is picked to be scanned. If they miss some evil intended person, hopefully they catch them later on. Again nothing is 100%.

AKK

Last edited:
Gosh, hasn't this been beaten to death, now?

Geez...if you don't like the security, or don't believe it really keeps you safe enough, then don't go...otherwise, just follow the directions, get your stuff out of the strollers, open your bags and backpacks for inspections, and move through the line...simple.

Gosh, hasn't this been beaten to death, now?

Geez...if you don't like the security, or don't believe it really keeps you safe enough, then don't go...otherwise, just follow the directions, get your stuff out of the strollers, open your bags and backpacks for inspections, and move through the line...simple.
I think that's what people are getting at is most people don't get there stuff out of strollers and all the bags aren't searched. People aren't afraid to go to Disney, we are just saying Disney is a huge target, with so many foreigners going there.

If the security team in the store I work at can do it successfully, I'm sure Disney can. All it takes is the proper training.

Do you scan your magic band before or after the additional screening? Wondering if it can be used to flag certain entrants?
Magic bands are scanned after bag check. The order is bag check, metal detector if picked and then ticket/Magicband turnstiles.

I'm surprised that it's taken this long... *sigh*
And yes, it's very sad that it comes down to this, but safety should be a priority with the crowds that Disney parks draw.

Just a quick update on this security issue... was down at The World for two weeks recently with 10 days in the parks, in and out daily with park hopper.
Only "randomly selected" TWICE for the metal detectors. Once at EPCOT and once at Hollywood Studios ... both times in my last two days there!

Strange how Rusty Scupper never came back to defend his inappropriate behavior. Am I right, that he is a CM?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter