Continue to be shocked by the rude bully we encountered :(

We've all read about rude guests, but until I experienced an exchange with a rude bully, I couldn't quite fathom the shock of it.

My friend and I are both in our early 50's, we were at DW last week with my DD11. Saturday night was the last night of our trip. We sat down in that area immediately in front of the castle to watch the ELP and that went pretty well. Right after it was over, a CM came by and said "everyone do a 180 and turn toward the castle as that will be the direction you want to face for what comes next". So, we all scooted around to face the castle, everyone in that entire area remained seated.

A couple minutes later a big, tall man along with his wife and young son walked into the area, made space for themselves and stood right in front of me. There was a little bit of room for them to possibly sit down but not really, and I thought they would try to squeeze in and sit down when the show on the castle began. It started and they didn't sit down. We asked them to please sit down and the lady turned around, looked at me and said "no, we don't want to sit down, we are going to stand up". I asked her again to please sit down as we could not see and they were the only ones standing up". She bent down toward my face, looked at me with her crazy eyes and through pursed lips said "I don't want to sit down". Yikes...

I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to go through life living as a poor excuse for a human being. Totally rude, totally disrespectful.....an absolute bully. I still feel pretty shocked by this encounter. I know there have been way worse reported on these boards, but until it actually happens, it's hard to know what these encounters feel like. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
This person was rude. But they were not a bully.

I probably wouldn't do this, but I'd have fantasies of standing up really close behind them and breathing in their ears in a creepy way just to freak them out. We'll see who wants to stand in front of the close standing creepy ear breathing guy. :P

Someone stood in front of my 14 year old son, obstructing his view of the tv screen at Tower of Terror. I thought we just took it in stride. As we left the room and traveled toward the boarding area, I heard the mother tell her daughter, "that kid kept blowing on me." I had no idea my son was doing that, but I admit I laughed like a fool when I heard it. I probably should not have encouraged him that way (albeit after the fact), but it was funny that her experience was as unappealing as my son's.

We had this happen to us one too many times over the years so now we only watch Wishes from the front of the castle with FP+ or from our room at the Poly. My mom has taught me and my sisters while we're at Disney, we can't control the behavior of other people, but we can completely control our reactions to the behaviors that offend or upset us. The people who showed up and refused to help you be able to see things clearly were rude, but they didn't bully you. I understand being upset, but there were several other ways you could have handled the situation. You could have asked the family to switch with you, so you could sit and they could continue standing. You could have also stood up since CMs usually have people in the Hub stand to cram in more and more people. You could have also flat out told them no, they couldn't stand there, because the spot is yours. This would've required you being firm and equally insistent, but I've had to do it at Epcot on July 4 this year, and it worked out without a confrontation. Just a sulky family who was upset they couldn't walk up to the railing in world showcase 10 minutes before fireworks started, after everyone there had waited 3 1/2 hours in the rain. I've found being firm but respectful and saying "No, this is our spot. I'm sorry but you'll have to find someplace else." works with just about everyone, despite the fact I'm only 19 and look like I'm 15.

"No, this is our spot. I'm sorry but you'll have to find someplace else."

This does work. I've used it after a bewildered "Really?" when people try and stop directly in front of me in a space that is too small for them, and thus encroaching on me. So far, the reactions have been a sheepish sorry as they move away. On more than one ocassion. I think it works because it's not confrontational, and you can say it in a way that allows them to pretend it was a mistake.

Sorry it happened. It is par for the course unfortunately. Everytime we try to get good places for a parade and sit down so that others that show up later can see, then some rude person or persons always seem to find a way to wedge in beside us and stand up to partially if not completely block our view. I'm a little over six feet tall so I can see over them if I stand up, but I don't want to unnecessarily obscure other people's views. It's a pain for sure.

Every single year at Mardi Gras we get people who show up right before a parade starts and stand right in front of us. We go out early morning and camp in the same spot every parade day, all day. I just think there are people who have zero social graces and don't like to be called out on it. I simply stand in front of them or edge them over until they get the hint and leave.

I think it's fine to call her a bully, because she probably is one based on her behavior. Any normal person would have apologized, sat down or moved away from the situation.

I see this at movies as well. We arrive early enough to get the seats we want. Then someone comes in as the movie is starting and is shocked there are not seats towards the top to sit or expect someone sitting on the aisle to moved down to accommodate them. Sorry If you want an aisle seat come early enough to get one

We had this happen to us one too many times over the years so now we only watch Wishes from the front of the castle with FP+ or from our room at the Poly. My mom has taught me and my sisters while we're at Disney, we can't control the behavior of other people, but we can completely control our reactions to the behaviors that offend or upset us. The people who showed up and refused to help you be able to see things clearly were rude, but they didn't bully you. I understand being upset, but there were several other ways you could have handled the situation. You could have asked the family to switch with you, so you could sit and they could continue standing. You could have also stood up since CMs usually have people in the Hub stand to cram in more and more people. You could have also flat out told them no, they couldn't stand there, because the spot is yours. This would've required you being firm and equally insistent, but I've had to do it at Epcot on July 4 this year, and it worked out without a confrontation. Just a sulky family who was upset they couldn't walk up to the railing in world showcase 10 minutes before fireworks started, after everyone there had waited 3 1/2 hours in the rain. I've found being firm but respectful and saying "No, this is our spot. I'm sorry but you'll have to find someplace else." works with just about everyone, despite the fact I'm only 19 and look like I'm 15.

How does the FP+ work for fireworks? Sorry haven't been to the world since the new system has come into play?

How does the FP+ work for fireworks? Sorry haven't been to the world since the new system has come into play?

You schedule a FP+ for Wishes same as you would any other FP+, and there are 2 places in the new Hub area where there is reserved FP+ viewing. I believe you can get in an hour prior to wishes starting? We've always shown up 20 minutes prior to Wishes starting and lingered in the back of the FP+ viewing area and never have had any issues. It's an okay area and it's nice to have the room to sit prior to the fireworks starting if you want to, but they really cram the people in there on busy nights and sitting room may not be allowed. Out of the 4 times we've used the Wishes FP+, we've been made to stand by CMs 3 out of the 4 times.

I see this at movies as well. We arrive early enough to get the seats we want. Then someone comes in as the movie is starting and is shocked there are not seats towards the top to sit or expect someone sitting on the aisle to moved down to accommodate them. Sorry If you want an aisle seat come early enough to get one

This makes me crazy. Opening night of something I've waited for for a year, I arrive early to get *exactly* the seat I want and 10 minutes before showtime someone expects (not just asks, gets huffy when I refuse) me to shift so they can sit together. No. Your seating desires are not more important than mine and I planned properly. I am not turning the best seat in the house over to you in order to accommodate your ability to waltz in at the last minute.

I agree with plenty of the posters. Most people stand during parades and such because they kind of have to because there is no space for sitting down. Which is why, usually, if I want to sit down I make my way to the front early before anything starts so I can sit on the curb and so not to obstruct people or have my view obstructed. I only ever move if there are small children who also want to sit so I may move behind them so they can be on the front (and depending on where we are, I can still have room to sit since the kids won't obstruct my view much).

I agree with plenty of the posters. Most people stand during parades and such because they kind of have to because there is no space for sitting down. Which is why, usually, if I want to sit down I make my way to the front early before anything starts so I can sit on the curb and so not to obstruct people or have my view obstructed. I only ever move if there are small children who also want to sit so I may move behind them so they can be on the front (and depending on where we are, I can still have room to sit since the kids won't obstruct my view much).

Unfortunately, lots of folks who used to shift for little kids don't anymore, because they would move for the child and then find the attached adults in front of them too. I'm quite short and I had to stop letting kids in front of me because I ended up with their parents blocking my view. Sad, really.

Unfortunately, lots of folks who used to shift for little kids don't anymore, because they would move for the child and then find the attached adults in front of them too. I'm quite short and I had to stop letting kids in front of me because I ended up with their parents blocking my view. Sad, really.

Can't say I am surprised. In the past that has not been an issue for me because the parents usually stay standing in the back or behind me, but after seeing how many rude people I encountered on my last trip, I doubt this will continue to be the case.

You guys are getting WAY too caught up with the word bully. Wording choice aside, these people were jerks.

I get that there's no obligation to sit when everyone else is sitting, but when you move into a crowd of seated people and just stand there, you have to be lacking at least a bit in the courtesy department. The people sitting down don't really want a view of your butt the whole time, no matter how great you think it looks. Why not just stand at the edge of the seated crowd?? They're all sitting, it's obviously not hurting your view.

This makes me crazy. Opening night of something I've waited for for a year, I arrive early to get *exactly* the seat I want and 10 minutes before showtime someone expects (not just asks, gets huffy when I refuse) me to shift so they can sit together. No. Your seating desires are not more important than mine and I planned properly. I am not turning the best seat in the house over to you in order to accommodate your ability to waltz in at the last minute.

This is why I only go to movie theaters with reserved seating. They're becoming more and more popular for just this reason! It's especially nice knowing that I don't have to ask a stranger to hold my seat for me if I need to use the bathroom before the show starts.

So get it and I love the ones that come clear to the top and are all shocked that there isn't 4 or 5 seats left for them.

My favorite response is, "You can have my seat for 10 dollars." That'll get me a tub of popcorn and a small drink to compensate me for the inconvenience of moving.

I've only once had someone ask me to shift to the side so they can sit there and I just said 'no' and that was it. Helps that I go to movies either alone or don't mind sitting alone. I don't have to sit beside the person I'm with, we can talk after but I usually go alone.

I always find that hysterical laughter and finger pointing works when people are ignorant like the ones in the crowd though.

Last edited:
And then there is the opposite! We were at the Halloween party on the 31st last year 2014. While we have been to DW many times, but I was truly not prepared for the crowd by the fireworks during a party. We were completely trapped. My darling son said he was thirsty and I saw no vendors to be found! Then I spotted a big tub of water on ice. I creeped and excused myself all the way up there to find that it was the VIP area and the water was not available for purchase. I was saddened and as I turned to go a CM and a guest both thrust a bottle of water into my hands. Silly moment really but it warmed my heart beyond measure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter