Continued problems with the engines on the Fantasy

This may explain why on Monday night I saw a crew member in a Monster’s Inc CDA/hazmat suit spraying in the bibbity bobbity boutique after hours !

We also heard that patient zero may have been someone who reported being sick for several days (and throwing up 30+ times) before visiting the infirmary. They claimed to have eaten at Palo and other places despite being sick.

Same here in August!! #5688 - the room from H*LL!! Never again AFT on DCL. Not only was the vibration unbelievable but we had a horrible sewer smell from our bathroom that they were not able to fix for the duration of the cruise.
This is an easy self fix. take a couple of glasses of water and pour it down the floor drains. There are ptraps under the grates that tend to dry out and allow smells to back up the pipes. There's supposed to be water in them to create a block. This goes for all ships. The water will either slosh out from normal ship movements, or it simply dries out.

We were in 8066 on the Fantasy Eastern in late April 2017. This was DCL cruise #11. We have never experienced so much vibrations on any of our other cruises. It was almost constant in our room. Only occasionally did it stop, then for just a short period. It was so bad, I could not wait to get off that ship. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I probably won't ever sail on the Fantasy again.

This is an easy self fix. take a couple of glasses of water and pour it down the floor drains. There are ptraps under the grates that tend to dry out and allow smells to back up the pipes. There's supposed to be water in them to create a block. This goes for all ships. The water will either slosh out from normal ship movements, or it simply dries out.

And you would have thought they knew that! Didn't know I was supposed to know that.

This thread has me worried about our upcoming Fantasy cruise. My DH is not really a cruise fan and is being dragged along. Is the vibration bad enough that he is going to be upset with me? Did those with motion sickness have issues?

The norovirus issue is unfortunate. We were at WDW the same week and overheard people on the bus talking about how someone in their group had it. Boy were we paranoid about hand washing after that. Apparently it was going around on land too.

And you would have thought they knew that! Didn't know I was supposed to know that.
The only way I know is the fire station I was assigned to had floor drains in the bathroom and we had a similar issue. One of the guys I worked with, knew about the drains and told me about it. So now first thing I do is pour 2 cups of water in every floor drain in the cabin I'm in. Whether it needs it or not.

Last edited:
This thread has me worried about our upcoming Fantasy cruise. My DH is not really a cruise fan and is being dragged along. Is the vibration bad enough that he is going to be upset with me? Did those with motion sickness have issues?

The norovirus issue is unfortunate. We were at WDW the same week and overheard people on the bus talking about how someone in their group had it. Boy were we paranoid about hand washing after that. Apparently it was going around on land too.

We ALWAYS cruise in the aft - just as we did twice before on the Fantasy - without any issues. I can only comment on our particular aft-facing room. Not sure if it was because we were on lower deck 5. We have 2 more cruises booked (NCL/RCI) - aft. I know the aft-facing balconies are very popular/desired so I assume our issues were Fantasy-specific. Where is your room? If it's a little more towards the middle or the "middle of the aft" section, I don't think I'd worry.

The only way I know is the fore station I was assigned to had floor drains in the bathroom and we had a similar issue. One of the guys I worked with, knew about the drains and told me about it. So now forst thing I do is pour 2 cups of water in every floor drain in the cabin I'm in. Whether it needs it or not.

Good to know! Thanks.

If you are aft, I would try to get a different cabin. I would never sail aft on the Fantasy again. We are not prone to motion sickness, so I suspect it is even worse if you are. The problem for us was getting a good night's sleep.

If you are aft, I would try to get a different cabin. I would never sail aft on the Fantasy again. We are not prone to motion sickness, so I suspect it is even worse if you are. The problem for us was getting a good night's sleep.
In 2016 we sailed on the Fantasy and had an aft room. It was really bad. I agree that it prevented me from getting a good night's sleep. My family on the other hand was fine, but it bothered me. I also had to take down the hangers in the closet because they kept clanging. I don't think I would book aft again on that particular ship.

I think it depends on the cruise and where your stateroom is - when are you sailing and where is your stateroom? Like PP said, mid aft is less vibrations than straight aft like where we just stayed in 8682 extended balcony.... but honestly we loved our room and didn't really notice the issue except when we were pulling into or out of port. We noticed the motion more when we sailed to Canada and almost fell out of our beds on the Magic or when we went over rocky seas in the gulf on the magic in 2016.... I think it just depends on the seas and where you stay. We suffer occasionally from motion sickness and the sea bands seem to work for my kids and my husband takes bonine and doesn't have an issue

Last edited:
We were on the Fantasy April 21st to 28th in an aft cabin. I could not pick it or change it because it was a special rate...but usually we choose all the way forward with no problems.
I had no problem while the ship was at sea but we ported at St. Maarten and I had "stillness illness" and spent the next 5 hours mainly in the bathroom. In all our cruises this is the FIRST time we have stayed aft. Evidently, green apples and ginger ale does not help everyone. lol I will take Bonine though from now on regardless of if I feel okay on the sea days or not.
The vibration was really bad and the hangers in the closet were dancing around a lot.

Just got off the May 5th Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise and it had engine issues. A loud back and violent shaking was felt throughout the ship. Then on Thursday night a fire alarm sounded for the engine room. A pressure line burst releasing oil on to the engine causing smoke.

Also a outbreak of what seems to be noro virus broke out a bunch of people got sick and still are getting sick after debarking.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Did they compensate you?

I also had to take down the hangers in the closet because they kept clanging.

We've always cruised forward and I've had to take the hangers down every single time. It's not just limited to aft in my experience. We're finally cruising aft in March next year and we're looking forward to it. Then again, my wife and I could sleep through a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerine factory, so vibrations shouldn't bother us one bit.

We've always cruised forward and I've had to take the hangers down every single time. It's not just limited to aft in my experience. We're finally cruising aft in March next year and we're looking forward to it. Then again, my wife and I could sleep through a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerine factory, so vibrations shouldn't bother us one bit.

It's not so much the vibrations as it is the NOISE from the vibrations. My husband can also sleep through pretty much anything but even this was an exception. Again it may have had to do with the lower deck and having an aft-facing cabin.

It's not so much the vibrations as it is the NOISE from the vibrations. My husband can also sleep through pretty much anything but even this was an exception. Again it may have had to do with the lower deck and having an aft-facing cabin.

I've fallen asleep in the pits at Sebring during the 12-hour, sitting down overlooking the front straight at Road Atlanta and at Dragon Con during the all-night rave. If those didn't wake me up engine noise won't either. :D

I hang everything including t-shirts and pajamas to prevent the hanger noise.

We were on the Fantasy 4/21 cruise in 5656, so a little more mid-aft, and did not have a problem with vibration. We did get some coming into ports, but we all slept fine and there were no noise issues. Prior to that we had always stayed deck 8 midship, and I would absolutely pick that cabin again for the extended balcony and convenience of the aft stairs.

We were in cabin 5168 on the Fantasy Jan. 2017. Every time I laid on the bed, it was like laying on top of a jackhammer. Never again will I book an aft room. We are booked for another Fantasy cruise Jan. 2019. We will be mid-ship for this cruise, if it's not better, it will be our last Fantasy cruise.

We were in cabin 5168 on the Fantasy Jan. 2017. Every time I laid on the bed, it was like laying on top of a jackhammer. Never again will I book an aft room. We are booked for another Fantasy cruise Jan. 2019. We will be mid-ship for this cruise, if it's not better, it will be our last Fantasy cruise.
Our first cruise(s) on the Fantasy were in 2014. The first one we had an aft room. Yes, the vibrations were really bad. Couldn't sit on the bed (head against the headboard) to watch TV. The second cruise were were more midship, and, while the vibrations were less noticeable, they were still there. Most nights in Animator's Palate we saw water glasses go "dancing" off the tables.

I had hopes that the dry dock the Fantasy had after that would solve the issue. Nope.

Our cruise in 2017, we had a midship/forward room. Still had bad vibrations in the aft of the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter