Coworker died this weekend

I can see how it might seem that way, but like you said it is reality. The two coworkers that I've lost were both tragedies where they died that morning and didn't show up for work. Both affected everyone greatly, I don't even really have the words to express how much they were missed, but in both cases the space was integral to day to day business and had to be used. That truly did not mean they weren't valued by their company. I don't think it's a matter of value at all. It's part of life.

I really don't know what the norm is---but I agree it seems unusual to ask the family to pack up, in most cases. OP, I am glad the office manager has it handled and you no longer have to worry about it.

Thinking of DH and the group he works in, the rarely used and not all that cluttered offices (I think everything would fit in one small box) would be the least of the concerns.
Each has a company car, phone, laptop, etc which would presumably need returned. I rarely drive our car, but it is the only one we have and in the event of an unforeseen tragedy I'd likely find myself using it more---and yet likely needing to turn it in to the employer. The thought of the logistical nightmare of all that on top of grief--wow. I really hope none of us spouses in the department ever have to know what that is like.

I really don't know what the norm is---but I agree it seems unusual to ask the family to pack up, in most cases.

I don't know what the norm is either, but as I mentioned in my earlier post it was something that I was glad I was able to do. My husband worked for a small company that was owned by one family, he was close to all of his co-workers. Cleaning out his office & his work space in the tool room was bittersweet, we got a glimpse into his last days at work. Not all family members would want this opportunity but in our case it was appreciated. It is hard to say how you will react until it actually happens to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter