Coworker died this weekend

officerjudyhopps

Mouseketeer
I found out today that one of the people in my unit died this weekend.

How long do you wait until you clean up her desk? We have an office manager and I’m sure he called the family asking if/when they want to clean up her desk and take her personal items home. But what if they don’t? How many days do you give them?

Just wondering because this hasn’t happened in my office before.

How long do you wait until you clean up her desk? We have an office manager and I’m sure he called the family asking if/when they want to clean up her desk and take her personal items home. But what if they don’t? How many days do you give them?

I agree that it is up to the office manager, but if the person died over the weekend, it is only Monday. I would think the workplace would give the family a bit of time to grieve before worrying about cleaning out the desk. I mean if my husband died on Saturday and his place of employment called me on Monday asking me when I was coming to claim his stapler, I would be thinking WTH?

I've been through this twice in a workplace. In both cases, clean up of stuff was pretty immediate so that whomever got the job could come into their own workspace. I don't know what happened to their personal effects, but I know they weren't visible by the time of the funeral. I'm sure they were held for the family. Management should take care of this pronto so that the memory of the person won't be associated with the space. Even if the space is left status quo for a while, the space shouldn't become a memorial. The coworker should be memorialized in a more neutral space like a breakroom, coffee area, etc. We did a courtyard garden for one, so that no matter what happens in the space he can be remembered fondly by all.

Last edited:

There is no standard time that I know of. If your co-worker passed away this past weekend, well, today is only Monday. It is very likely HR has only just become aware of the situation, there is likely a protocol they have to follow, similar to other forms of job (pardon me) termination. Not really something co-workers get involved in.

I would have been quite upset if my husband's employer had called only days after his death to ask me to come and get his stuff. At that time his office stuff was the last thing on my mind. I think we went to his office about 2 weeks after he died to get his things. I was happy that they had not moved things around. It was neat to see his calendar notes and things from his last days at work.

If someone new has been hired then of course things should be cleaned up, if not I would say leave it for the family if they chose to do it. If possible I would let the family clean it up if that is what they would like to do. I know it meant a lot to us. I went in with my son and daughter and we laughed & cried over certain things.

Funny thing, we went back to the his employer MONTHS later to pick up a forgotten item, they had filled his position, but not his office. They said they did not want to put anyone else in there because no one could ever take his place! I agree!!!

I don't know but I'm pretty sure that if something were to happen to dh his company would want his office vacated immediately and I'd get a call within a week. I wouldn't be allowed to clean his office out, and I understand that office space is at a premium there so they would want to be able to move someone in ASAP.
For me that would be ideal, I wouldn't want a call weeks later to have to go through the stuff myself. I would rather have them call me and tell me that his personal things have been packed up and will be ready for me to come get when I feel up to it.

I don't know if this is a small personal company where co-workers are like family or if it is a large corp. where the dynamic is different.
If it is more like the first I'd wait a couple weeks, if it is like the 2nd there is probably a policy they follow in that event and your office manager may have to do that instead of what feels right.

DH has a desk in a cubicle. I'm pretty sure that his stuff would be delivered to me by coworkers if it was of a personal nature (like pictures) and simply divided amongst them if it wasn't (like office themed toys and jokes.) I've never seen his office area or desk as it's a high security workplace. When one of DH's coworkers died most of his work stuff got moved around the office to other people's desks. I would want the same and hope they had fond memories of him.

At my company the day after a death, someone has to go through their desk or office and pack up their personal effects. Unfortunately we couldn’t let family do the clean up since there’s all kinds of sensitive information (we do he same when someone is fired-they can grab their purse/wallet/phone everything else is boxed up and mailed).

I believe next of kin usually goes to HR within 3 days to sign paperwork related to benefits and final paperwork and they are given the personal boxes then.

I've never even considered that a company would insist the family come in and clean out the desk. The company should do it: either a coworker that wants to do it or whoever is the manager or human resources (if you're big enough to have a human resources). Personal items should be placed in a box. They can either be shipped to the family or the family can come pick up the box when they are ready.

Years ago my boss died unexpectedly and I think it was maybe two weeks later I cleaned his office out and sent anything personal to his wife.

The family wouldn't be doing it. The person in charge should handle it and arrange for the personal items to be handled properly.

Tended to work in corporate offices so family never cleaned out desk space; that was the job of the security dept. When I had my own incorporated business all my employees worked off-site so not a concern for me.

We had this happen a few years back.The office manager cleared out the office a couple of days later putting personal Items in a box for the family to pick up when they were ready to come to the office to deal with the paperwork a few days later. Our company allows spouses and dependants to remain on extended benefits for up to 3 months after death, but new paperwork has to be signed other wise coverage will be terminated. Plus claim forms needed to be sign about the life insurance payment and pension plan.

Last edited:
I suppose it would depend on the company. But from the one's that have either been let go or one's my husband has told me about that have died while on the job someone is responsible for cleaning up the desk usually within a few days. Those boxes are taped up and shipped to the person's address.

OP are you actually involved in this decision? Otherwise I'd probably wouldn't be thinking about "how soon will the person's stuff be gone" as it's not my call and would feel off thinking in-depth about it.

Immediately.

I find it odd that you are so concerned. You don't do anything.
Management will take care of it when they decide to.

I had an employee die last year. I (in my HR hat) went through his area with his direct report so that work in progress could be tracked and given
to others. All personal belongings were boxed up and given to his children (adults) when they came in to see me to handle life insurance and 401K paperwork.

I find it odd that you are so concerned. You don't do anything.
Management will take care of it when they decide to.

Seeing that I am Supervisor of the unit where said person died, I am and should be concerned.

Something like this has never happen my office manager before since he’s only been office manager for 3 years so we’re learning together. He’s also works like a turtle so when he decides to take care of it will be next August! Lol

—-

For everyone who answered the question I asked: thank you! I got a lot of different responses. I’m meeting with my office manager tomorrow to discuss the position and how soon he wants to hire. Usually he promotes within so someone could be in her position by the end of the week. It all depends on when salary is approved. So I guess cleaning out her desk all depends on when he moves someone into her position

OP are you actually involved in this decision? Otherwise I'd probably wouldn't be thinking about "how soon will the person's stuff be gone" as it's not my call and would feel off thinking in-depth about it.

Unfortunately I am. I’m the Supervisor of the unit she worked in so stuff like cleaning out a desk falls on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter