Craft beer drinkers unite

Just got a text from a friend. The Dream currently has Heavy Seas Loose Cannon on tap in FroZone. That's a great reason to get the mug, because it's a phenomenal IPA.
Being a MD local, I just bought Loose Cannon for my Fantasy Cruise this weekend. Funny.

Beer update for Dream today. Currents taps - Shock top, Kona Longboard, Angry Orchard. Bottles - Sam Adams lager, Kona Castaway, Bells Oberon, Bells Two Hearted, Cigar City invasion, Rekorderlig strawberry lime and pear cider.

Beer update for Dream today. Currents taps - Shock top, Kona Longboard, Angry Orchard. Bottles - Sam Adams lager, Kona Castaway, Bells Oberon, Bells Two Hearted, Cigar City invasion, Rekorderlig strawberry lime and pear cider.
Nice to see a new Cider Choice. I take it these brews were spread across the ship?

Nice to see a new Cider Choice. I take it these brews were spread across the ship?

The list I gave is for Currents. My friend should be sending me an update when they get back from the first leg of their B2B. They're in Nassau right now, so they've started their onboard bar crawl. They're doing every bar on the boat in one day.

Just got of the Fantasy on Saturday. Tap selection was limited at best. There were some decent bottle/can choices if you went searching. They actually had Utopias. I didn't dare ask how much. No Jai Alai anywhere.

Tap List:

Kiosk Deck 11 port side: Florida Beer Company PRL Pils
Kiosk Deck 11 starboard side: Florida Beer Company Devils Triangle IPA
Cove Bar: Heineken, Strongbow
Currents: Shock Top, Kona Longboard Lager
Tube: Sam Adams Octoberfest, Heineken
O'Gills: Sam Adams Oktoberfest, O'gills(pretty sure it was Kona Fire Rock),Guinness,Angry Orchard
Bon Voyage: Bud light,Kona Longboard
Frozone Treats: Kona Longboard

Bottle/Can List:

Currents and Kiosks: Bell's Two Hearted, Oberon, Cigar City Invasion,Kona Castaway
Dinning Rooms: Chimay Grand Reserve Blue
O'Gills: Orval,La Fin Du Monde,Ayinger Celebrator,Utopias,Lindemans Framboise

They actually had Utopias. I didn't dare ask how much.

Thanks for the list.

If it was the 2015 Utopias, don't worry. You didn't miss much. I opened my 2015 the other day and it tasted much like my 2013, which is to say they added far too much Mother Funk to the blend. It's not very good at all. Not as good as my '09, '11 and '12.

So I'm guessing the dining rooms no longer have St. Stefanus. That's too bad. It's pretty good.

So I'm guessing the dining rooms no longer have St. Stefanus.

The Chimay was on the wine list. I only saw the list the first night. I think there was another beer on the list, but I don't remember what it was. I am thinking it wasn't anything special since it didn't catch my attention, but I can't say for sure that it wasn't St. Stefanus.

Just got of the Fantasy on Saturday. Tap selection was limited at best. There were some decent bottle/can choices if you went searching. They actually had Utopias. I didn't dare ask how much. No Jai Alai anywhere.

Tap List:

O'Gills: Sam Adams Oktoberfest, O'gills(pretty sure it was Kona Fire Rock),Guinness,Angry Orchard

Bottle/Can List:

Currents and Kiosks: Bell's Two Hearted, Oberon, Cigar City Invasion,Kona Castaway

Too much Kona Longboard on that list. They need to replace one or two of those with better taps.

This thread makes me thirsty.

Depending on how long you're in EYW, get over to The Porch. Best craft beer selection on The Rock. Stephanie, and the rest of the crew, are awesome. They open at 11. It's one of my favorite places of many, though if I only have a short time in town I'll typically be at Schooner Wharf listening to Michael McCloud and drinking Rum Runners.

http://www.theporchkw.com/
http://www.schoonerwharf.com/

If you have any desire to try something from a massive rum menu, go see Alan at The Rum Barrel on Front Street. Their collection is huge. Alan is also a beer lover.

http://www.rumbarrel.com/
My parents are not particularly smart-phone-adept (ok, not AT ALL smart-phone-adept), so I'm going to make up an "itinerary" of sorts with a coordinating map and directions for our Key West day for them to use. We will definitely be separated from them b/c my kids aren't going to find a beer crawl very interesting... and my parents go nowhere unfamiliar to them without printed maps/directions. Anything else beer-related that shouldn't be missed? Googling produces a few other options, but I have no idea if they're decent or worth visiting. TIA!

My parents are not particularly smart-phone-adept (ok, not AT ALL smart-phone-adept), so I'm going to make up an "itinerary" of sorts with a coordinating map and directions for our Key West day for them to use. We will definitely be separated from them b/c my kids aren't going to find a beer crawl very interesting... and my parents go nowhere unfamiliar to them without printed maps/directions. Anything else beer-related that shouldn't be missed? Googling produces a few other options, but I have no idea if they're decent or worth visiting. TIA!

The Porch. There are local breweries as well. Waterfront Brewery didn't impress us much. Bone Island is getting some good reviews. In fact, Alan posted recently and said it was his first time and he enjoyed their brews.

When do you head out? Key West's offerings are always in flux, and I may be able to point you in the right direction depending on the time/date.

I have recommendations depending on the enthusiast/traveler. Beer snob? I'll point you one way. Dive bar lover? I'll point you a completely different way.

You can always PM me with the places you've found on Google and I will give you an honest opinion based on my experiences on the rock.

The Porch. There are local breweries as well. Waterfront Brewery didn't impress us much. Bone Island is getting some good reviews. In fact, Alan posted recently and said it was his first time and he enjoyed their brews.

When do you head out? Key West's offerings are always in flux, and I may be able to point you in the right direction depending on the time/date.

I have recommendations depending on the enthusiast/traveler. Beer snob? I'll point you one way. Dive bar lover? I'll point you a completely different way.

You can always PM me with the places you've found on Google and I will give you an honest opinion based on my experiences on the rock.
We'll be there on New Year's Day. Which is, um, interesting, I guess... lots of hungover folks and grumpy bartenders, perhaps! I'm hoping everything is still open as usual, since it's the busy holiday week. Bone Island, Waterfront, and Kelly's were the few I had noted so far (other than The Porch from your post in this thread, of course!). Thoughts on Kelly's?

My dad is definitely in the beer snob category - has to have the right glass for the right beer, has to have certain types with certain foods, etc. I believe Celebrator is his personal favorite; DH says he would have answered "what's dad's favorite beer?" with "Trappist monk something something" but I'm pretty sure I'm right about Celebrator... He likes Dogfish Head, but I'm sort of spacing on other US stuff. I'm hoping the Wonder has some decent options, b/c I was planning to purchase the beer mug for him as as gift!

We'll be there on New Year's Day. Which is, um, interesting, I guess... lots of hungover folks and grumpy bartenders, perhaps! I'm hoping everything is still open as usual, since it's the busy holiday week. Bone Island, Waterfront, and Kelly's were the few I had noted so far (other than The Porch from your post in this thread, of course!). Thoughts on Kelly's?

My dad is definitely in the beer snob category - has to have the right glass for the right beer, has to have certain types with certain foods, etc. I believe Celebrator is his personal favorite; DH says he would have answered "what's dad's favorite beer?" with "Trappist monk something something" but I'm pretty sure I'm right about Celebrator... He likes Dogfish Head, but I'm sort of spacing on other US stuff. I'm hoping the Wonder has some decent options, b/c I was planning to purchase the beer mug for him as as gift!

Kelly's service is horrid. I've been in there three times. Two out of those three times it was all I could do to get their bartenders to give me a beer, much less two. I don't bother any more. Waterfront is OK. The food is decent. The beer is passable and on the better side of what's available on Cayo Hueso. Bone Island has opened since I was last there, but as I said, Alan liked them and I generally trust his opinion. He's never steered me wrong on rum and I've had enough beer with him after work to trust his tastes. (He's also a pretty darned good chili cook. He brought us chili at our hotel last time we were in town) Stephanie and the rest of the crew at the Porch have got it going on. Draft or bottle/can, they're going to do it right. I *love* that place. Another place with good stuff is Cork and Stogie on Upper Duval. I have a feeling that once your dad lands at The Porch he won't want to leave, though. It's really all that. Great atmosphere (I prefer to sit in the corner of the bar, but outside is really nice too) and the people are awesome. You meet all types. Last visit I spent time drinking sours with the son of Baby Doc's Chief of Security.

If he fancies a dive bar just for a change of pace, the answer is always either Schooner Wharf or Green Parrot, with Green Parrot in the lead for diviest. I could spend days there with nothing but beer and food from the BBQ joint (also owned by Pat Croce) next door. An absolute dump and one of the greatest bars I've ever gotten schnockered in.

The Wonder really won't have decent beer options. No DCL cruise does. Make sure to pack enough to hold him off until you hit port.

Kelly's service is horrid. I've been in there three times. Two out of those three times it was all I could do to get their bartenders to give me a beer, much less two. I don't bother any more. Waterfront is OK. The food is decent. The beer is passable and on the better side of what's available on Cayo Hueso. Bone Island has opened since I was last there, but as I said, Alan liked them and I generally trust his opinion. He's never steered me wrong on rum and I've had enough beer with him after work to trust his tastes. (He's also a pretty darned good chili cook. He brought us chili at our hotel last time we were in town) Stephanie and the rest of the crew at the Porch have got it going on. Draft or bottle/can, they're going to do it right. I *love* that place. Another place with good stuff is Cork and Stogie on Upper Duval. I have a feeling that once your dad lands at The Porch he won't want to leave, though. It's really all that. Great atmosphere (I prefer to sit in the corner of the bar, but outside is really nice too) and the people are awesome. You meet all types. Last visit I spent time drinking sours with the son of Baby Doc's Chief of Security.

If he fancies a dive bar just for a change of pace, the answer is always either Schooner Wharf or Green Parrot, with Green Parrot in the lead for diviest. I could spend days there with nothing but beer and food from the BBQ joint (also owned by Pat Croce) next door. An absolute dump and one of the greatest bars I've ever gotten schnockered in.

The Wonder really won't have decent beer options. No DCL cruise does. Make sure to pack enough to hold him off until you hit port.
OK, Kelly's is off the list for sure! Waterfront sounds like it should be nixed too. Does the Porch have food at all, or is it purely a bar? I saw they have beer menus, but didn't find anything for food. It does sound like my dad will want to park there for a while, but if there is no food - that may not be a wise idea, ha! Cork and Stogie might be an issue b/c of the cigar part (he's really sensitive to tobacco smoke). But Bone Island may be a good post-Porch option if they need a bite to eat with their beer; their web-site mentions the deli next door for food.

Sort of off-topic, but would any of these places (including the dive-bars) be at all ok with kids? Mine are 8 and 11 and will most likely want to space out with their electronic devices for an hour or so while on US soil, leaving DH and me to have a drink or two while they completely ignore us and blend into the scenery. We can just randomly pick a place that looks ok with kids once we're there, of course, but it seemed worth asking in case I can coordinate meeting up with my parents in advance.

There is no food at The Porch, but there is a lot of food nearby on and off Duval.

If I was looking for a place for the kids to space out while enjoying a drink or two, I would head to the historic seaport. Schooner Wharf is very, very old school Key West. I love their Conch Chowder. Conch Republic Seafood, Turtle Kraals, Halfshell and Waterfront Brewing are all different in their own unique ways and I would recommend any of them. If you're looking to be close to The Porch, with a uniquely Key West outdoor environment but not on the water, we love, love, love Smokin Tuna and they are kid friendly. Another option, if the kids like to swim, is Dante's. It has a huge pool, drinks and pretty good food.

There is no food at The Porch, but there is a lot of food nearby on and off Duval.

If I was looking for a place for the kids to space out while enjoying a drink or two, I would head to the historic seaport. Schooner Wharf is very, very old school Key West. I love their Conch Chowder. Conch Republic Seafood, Turtle Kraals, Halfshell and Waterfront Brewing are all different in their own unique ways and I would recommend any of them. If you're looking to be close to The Porch, with a uniquely Key West outdoor environment but not on the water, we love, love, love Smokin Tuna and they are kid friendly. Another option, if the kids like to swim, is Dante's. It has a huge pool, drinks and pretty good food.
Awesome, so many good options! We just want to wander and relax in Key West, no excursions or anything, so this is super helpful! It wouldn't have occurred to me to bring swimsuits for our wandering! Thank you very much for all of your advice and suggestions. I sincerely appreciate it!

Tap List:

Bottle/Can List:

I'd consider a utopia, but only if they let you keep the bottle.

I'd consider a utopia, but only if they let you keep the bottle.

If it's like their fancy cognac, etc. then every person who buys an ounce has their name out into a pool and when the bottle is gone they draw a name. The one drawn is the one who gets the bottle.

Does anyone know what the beer selection is like at the Speedway gas station by Disney Springs? Or anything particularly new and good at Disney Springs ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter