Critique my solo day at MK plan of attack

Schneewittchen37

DIS Veteran
I’m going to Orlando for a work conference in a couple of weeks. So rather than fly down in the middle of the day on Monday and lay around by the pool at the resort (Rosen Shingle Creek), I’ve decided to do a solo day at MK. I did this once before a few years ago and it went pretty well.

Here’s my plan (the park hours are 9 am - 10 pm that day with no EMH):

8:30 am - Land at MCO, black car pickup at baggage claim, drop off bags at hotel, continue in black car to Contemporary, walk to MK.

10ish am - Walk down Main Street

Pirates
Splash Mountain
maybe Haunted Mansion
maybe it’s a small world

11:55 am - 12:55 pm - Space Mountain FP

12ish Lunch at Tomorrowland Terrace if it’s open, if not Cosmic Ray’s.

12:55 - 1:55 pm - Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road FP

Barnstormer
Buzz Lightyear
Carousel of Progress
Enchanted Tiki Room
Hall of Presidents
Country Bears
Under the Sea

6:40 - 7:40 pm - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP

7:30 pm - Dinner reservation at Be Our Guest

7:45 pm Sunset

After dark rides:

Jungle Cruise
Aladdin’s Carpets
Dumbo
Astro Orbiter
PeopleMover

And squeeze in anything I missed earlier. Because yes, the lines for Barnstormer, Buzz or Under the Sea might be awful earlier in the day.

that is A LOT of back and forth across the park.
Pirates to space Mountain back to Big thunder then to Barnstormer then over to Tiki Room back to Fantasyland and eventually back to Jungle Cruise then Dumbo??? That should be organized better to cut down on walking. Maybe they are just listed in random groups rather than in the order you plan to do them?

My problem is you are going to be spending a lot of time in lines. I don't mind the criss-crossing of the parks as much as some others do but either ditch or modify the 7DMT FP+ for earlier in the day. Since you are solo, you shouldn't have a hard time getting a FP+ for every attraction.

Yes, I'll be wearing running shoes.

I haven't been able to get an earlier FP for the Mine Train yet. Oh, I've been checking.

Here's another go at ordering.....

Pirates
Splash Mountain
maybe Haunted Mansion
maybe it’s a small world

Buzz Lightyear
Barnstormer

12:30ish Lunch at Tomorrowland Terrace if it’s open, if not Cosmic Ray’s.

Country Bears
Hall of Presidents
Enchanted Tiki Room
Under the Sea
Carousel of Progress

6:40 - 7:40 pm - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP

After dark rides:

Jungle Cruise
Aladdin’s Carpets
Dumbo
Astro Orbiter
PeopleMover

I'd dump the mine train FP so you can burn your first 3 faster and then pick up more all day.

I would just get in line for mine train right before close -- or as a solo I wouldn't be surprised if you can pick up a FP for it.

Even as a solo - I've never been able to pick up a FP for 7DMT day of - I would keep the one you have - but yes - I'd keep trying for earlier in the day. I have been able to get a 4th/5th pass as a solo in mid-afternoon/evening, so it would be nice to end your planned FP's earlier. But by early evening - you won't find any available at all.

What I would NOT do is that much criss-crossing of the park. You've got five loops around the park planned! Three is my limit as a solo (twice in a group). Maybe plan on Space Mountain or Big Thunder without a FP at the end of the day - and FP something else instead. Or try moving one of those to avoid a loop through the park.

As a solo - I TRY to do an area fully - if the lines/waits aren't bad when I'm in the area in the first place.

I don't FP Space or BTMRR - I use those on things like Jungle Cruise and Pirates mid-day since those lines can be long mid-day. But I'm okay skipping those two mountains if need be.

Its an aggressive plan. Good luck.
I think your starting time is off and then moves everything else back.
If you land at 8:30, unless you have no bags checked, its unlikely you'll be at the black car until 9;15 or later. Depending on where your hotel is, drop bags, check in and then head to the Contemporary. I would be surprised to see you in the park before 10:45.
Refreshing the FP will be important. As a single rider it should work well for you.

If you land at 8:30, unless you have no bags checked, its unlikely you'll be at the black car until 9;15 or later. Depending on where your hotel is, drop bags, check in and then head to the Contemporary. I would be surprised to see you in the park before 10:45.

I fly into MCO frequently and this is correct, unless not checking any bags.

You don't say what date this is, but unless its super crowded that day, you are foregoing the option of getting many FPs to have the SDMT FP. I'm not sure which strategy is correct. If you are planning to stay until close and can't modify your SDMT to earlier, I'd probably drop it and plan to get in line at park closing so you can use multiple FPs throughout the day.

Its an aggressive plan. Good luck.
I think your starting time is off and then moves everything else back.
Refreshing the FP will be important. As a single rider it should work well for you.
I never check bags.

I fly into MCO frequently and this is correct, unless not checking any bags.

You don't say what date this is, but unless its super crowded that day, you are foregoing the option of getting many FPs to have the SDMT FP. I'm not sure which strategy is correct. If you are planning to stay until close and can't modify your SDMT to earlier, I'd probably drop it and plan to get in line at park closing so you can use multiple FPs throughout the day.
You're all making me rethink the SDMT FP...... :oops:

You're all right, I could probably get 7 or more FPs, if I dump it.....

And yes it's a short ride anyway... something else would be better...

Well, I hope I don't regret it. I just dropped my SDMT for a 3:30 Splash Mountain. Time to rework the plan for the rest of the day.

You're all making me rethink the SDMT FP...... :oops:

You're all right, I could probably get 7 or more FPs, if I dump it.....

And yes it's a short ride anyway... something else would be better...

There's always a chance you'll be able to make a SDMT FP whilst at the park or hit it last thing before park close, so there's still a high chance you'll get on the ride (dependent on crowds that day). Personally I would go with having the option of booking more FP to get on more rides throughout the day than being guaranteed a ride on SDMT.

Your plan looks great though and I hope you have a good time!

How does this version look?

I'm hoping to start grabbing FP's right after Splash Mountain.

Arrive at some point mid morning.....

Pirates
Haunted Mansion
it’s a small world

Buzz Lightyear
Carousel of Progress

12:30ish Lunch at Tomorrowland Terrace if it’s open, if not Cosmic Ray’s.

Country Bears
Hall of Presidents
Liberty Belle

3:30 - 4:30 pm - Splash Mountain FP

Aladdin’s Carpets
Enchanted Tiki Room
Mad Tea Party
Winne the Pooh
Under the Sea
Barnstormer

After dark rides:

Dumbo
Astro Orbiter
PeopleMover

I figured I’d share how my one day solo visit to Magic Kingdom worked out. Thanks for your suggestions on this. I snagged an early Splash Mountain FP because of you guys and did my best to lump rides together when I could....

So mostly this is an outline of how I abused my fast passes and generally had an awesome day.

My goal for the day was to do everything and not wait in line more than 20 minutes. I was armed with an old MagicBand, my small Osprey hiking day pack and the MDE app.

Monday, April 8, 2019

6 AM
Flight to Orlando. Let’s not discuss how early I woke up to make this flight. I had to fortify myself with orange juice and a chickfila fried chicken bagel around 5 am. And then I drank some coke on the flight. Was not even in the mood to mess with sugar packets and creamer cups for a coffee. And then I catnapped a bit for the rest of the flight.

8 AM
Landed in Orlando 20 minutes early. Yay Southwest! My ride was there waiting for me (Happy Limo is the best) at the airport at baggage claim. The driver quickly drove me over to my conference hotel and waited for me while I checked-in at Rosen Shingle Creek and dumped my suitcase in my room. We then drove over to the Contemporary. It was a nice way to start the day, my driver was a sweetheart and we chatted the whole way over. I walked from the Contemporary to Magic Kingdom. The security line and turnstiles were a breeze.

9:30 AM
Walking down Main Street (the park opened at 9 AM). I did what I always do, and headed over to Adventureland to ride Pirates of the Caribbean (fav ride #1) - walked on - no line. Then I cut through over to Liberty Square to ride the Haunted Mansion (fav ride #2) - less than a 10 minute wait. The ride stalled at the bit in the ballroom, that was cool, it gave me a chance to really take it all in. Then I walked next door to it’s a small world - about another 10 minute wait. Then I walked back toward Frontierland to get a quick snack - hmmmm churros for second breakfast….

My first FastPass of the day was Splash Mountain (10:45 - 11:45 AM). That was fun and I didn’t get too wet because of my awesome mom wardrobe choice for the day:

1. Moisture wicking mom skort
2. Moisture wicking mom racer back yoga tank top
3. Orthopedic mom flip flops

So here’s the first bad thing about the day. I really wanted to catch the WDW Railroad for my next FastPass in Tomorrowland, but DUH! it’s closed for TRON coaster construction.

So, I walked from Frontierland to Tomorrowland for my Space Mountain FastPass (11:55 AM - 12:55 PM). Love that ride.

And then there was the next bad thing about the day. I got off Space Mountain and I was hungry. So I pulled up the MDE app to look at my quick service dining options nearby. Tomorrowland Terrace was open (haven’t ever been there) and I saw something that looked okay on the menu. That was mistake #1. My Buffalo Chicken Salad was drowning in ranch dressing. Disgusting. It would have been fine if they hadn’t have dumped so much on there. So gross. Like Dr. Pimple Popper pus sauce gross. Mistake #2 was using the mobile ordering feature. Yes, I waited longer than the regular lines and no they never did send me the “your order is ready” pop-up. I was so ticked off after that. In the past it’s worked well for me, not this time.

Well, things improved from there.

Yes, it was time to walk back to Frontierland for my Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road FastPass (12:55 - 1:55 PM). That was fun, and as soon as I scanned my MagicBand, I started booking new FastPasses. I snagged a Magic Carpets of Aladdin, but first stopped at the Country Bear Jamboree. From Country Bears, I went to Aladdin (wheee!) and then snagged a Jungle Cruise FP (funny skipper this time, good timing). Then grabbed several FPs back to back for Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (it didn’t break this time, it always breaks when I’m on it), Under the Sea, Barnstormer and Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin.

So now I’m running out of FP ride options cuz I’ve been on them all. Time for some low key stuff. Took a rest at the Carousel of Progress (that was a little wonky, the ride didn’t fully rotate to one of scenes, so we missed the beginning of it). After that it was a bit hot, so I stopped for a Mickey Bar on the way back toward Fantasyland for a Mad Tea Party FP. I then used to the castle hub to see the Hall of Presidents (hadn’t seen it since the recent update) and then I cut through again to hit the Enchanted Tiki Room to sit some more.

From the Tiki room, I walked through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and then grabbed a bench up top for a ride on the Liberty Square Riverboat. From the boat, I went back to Fantasyland for Mickey’s PhilharMagic and then the Prince Charming Carrousel.

Of mild interest, a thunderstorm started while I was on the carrousel. You should have heard the screams when the heavy rain started. So, as I was getting off the ride, I tugged on my crummy poncho. That, along with my moisture wicking mom ensemble, kept me mostly dry as I made my way over to dinner.

7:30 PM
So it was dinner for one at Be Our Guest, only been there once before for lunch when it first opened. Maybe this was the third not awesome thing about the day. The prix fixe menu seems like it has a lot of potential but…. Anyway, I was happy enough to get a glass of my favorite sparkling red in my happy place - Banfi Rosa Regale. I order the charred octopus. It was okay. I think it would have been better if it were a smidge spicier/peppery/Korean red pepper sauce would have fixed it. The filet mignon was okay too, tender, but I’ve had better, it needed salt… I did really enjoy the desserts though and the waiter was nice and attentive. The storm ended while I was at dinner as well. (Yay!). And the park was pretty empty.

After dinner, it was time for the rides that are best at night. So, I walked on to Dumbo and then headed over to Peter Pan for my last FP. By then, the fireworks were just minutes away….

9:15 PM (FIREWORKS)
Moments before the fireworks started, I walked on to Astrorbitor. They were going off while I was spinning around and around. So cool. Then I literally ran over to the PeopleMover to catch the finale. And that was neat as well. With less than 30 minutes to closing, I walked on to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. (The standby sign said 45 minutes, LIES! LIES! LIES!). Super cool ride at night.

After all of that, I hit the Emporium on my way out to buy a pin. Robin Hood this time. Cute. Never seen this pin before.

Then it was the long slog over to the Contemporary to call a cab and go back to my hotel. That’s about the moment my feet got sore and I considered that I might be tired from being awake for 20 hours straight. But the trip back all went smoothly and I was in my hotel room showering off a day’s worth of MK sweat and gunk by 11 PM.

The day’s tally:

1 solo mom
26 attractions
12. 5 hours
11 fastpasses
2 disappointing meals
1 lovely, crispy, sugary churro
1 cold, chocolatey mickey bar
1 70's era character pin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter