Crock pot crazy

Any family-friendly ideas? I've got some big bits of silverside - DH suddenly decided he was not keen on the version in red wine so any ideas for using that? Not spicy (herby is fine :goodvibes)

TIA

Its an economical cut of beef - I usually put it in the oven with a bottle of red wine for 3 1/2 hours :goodvibes

MazdaUK - I stay away from the economical cuts of beef because here they generally contain much more fat. (Besides cholesterol issues, it gives me indigestion.) But 20 years ago I used to buy cheaper roasts & cut them into cubes to make beef stew. Cooking it in red wine sounds pretty awesome to me though. :rotfl: I don't usually put mine in the crock though - just because I don't like the extra step of browning the meat first. It just takes all day to make it on the stove anyway. LOL

After I posted I tried Googling it & found a site that said corned beef is often referred to as silverside. I can't imagine cooking corned beef in wine. :confused3 I always make mine with cabbage. How did you end up making yours?

toledo13 - That apple cobbler sounds really good! I can't believe that for 30 years I never thought of using my crock for desserts! The past year I've done it a few times & the family loves it!! :teeth:

corned beef is salted silverside - that's why so many of the recipes refer to washing the meat first ;) Silverside is very lean - that's why it needs a slooooooooooooow cook if lots of liquid. Its still in the freezer at the moment - we had chicken instead:rotfl:

PS - there's a reipe swap coming up soon which will have a crockpot group in (shhhhhh! Don't tell ;):lmao:)

Another crockpot thread popped up and I'm copying the recipes here so we have a place for "one stop shopping".

I like to put ribs and bologna chunks in the crockput and let them cook all day. YUMMY!

I have my crock pot going right now with whole sweet potatoes (cut into chunks), pork chops, apple sauce, a sprinkle of brown sugar,salt/pepper and a can of cranberry sauce. Smells great and tastes yummy! A great meal to come home to.

Often times I put in a few frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts, add a cup or so of salsa and it makes perfect mexican shredded chicken for tacos, quesadillas, etc.

I have a split pea soup recipe for the crock pot, if you are interested let me know.

Love having my "personal chef" cook while I am at work. :love:

Dawn

I have a great super duper easy recipe for the Crock Pot

take one pork roast (frozen, raw, whatever) and drop it in the slow cooker
pour in an inch or two of apple juice
slice up a couple granny smith apples
slice up a medium sized onion

put the slow cooker on Hi with the top on when you leave for work, when you get home the pork roast will be so tender and sweet all you have to do is push the knife on the roast to cut it. Make a pouch of instant mashed potatoes on the side and you have a great dinner.

Now I'm hungrypopcorn::

Here is our fave crockpot recipe

Boneless chicken breasts (1-2 lbs)
2 cans "cream of" soup (we use 2 chicken or you can use chicken + mushroom./brocolli/etc)
2 cans of chicken broth (or water)

Cook until chicken is done then fill with egg noodles and cook until they are tender. Yum! Last time I added corn too

And this one that SunnieRN recommended from the Crockpot Lady's site:

Brown Sugar Chicken

--12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or 6 boneless, skinless breast halves
--1 cup brown sugar (it's okay. you can brush your teeth after.)
--1/4 cup lemon-lime soda (stay with me...)
--2/3 cup vinegar (I used white wine, but think regular white would be fine)
--3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
--2 T soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari wheat free are GF)
--1 tsp ground black pepper

Use a 4 quart crockpot for this recipe.

Plop the chicken into your crockpot. Cover with the brown sugar, pepper, chopped garlic, and soy sauce. Add the vinegar, and pour in the soda. It will bubble!

Cover and cook on low for 6-9 hours, or on high for 4-5. The chicken is done when it is cooked through and has reached desired consistency. The longer you cook it, the more tender it will be.

Serve over a bowl of white rice with a ladle full of the broth.

One of our favorites is ribs. I buy the pork ribs that are already seasoned with rub. Cut them into two pieces and put them in the crock pot with two cups of beef bullion and about a 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. Cook them until the interior temp is considered done for pork (about 165 I think). They are so ymuuy. My pot cooks really hot so I only go about 5 hours on them. It is so much cooler that putting them on the grill.

I do a whole chicken in the crock pot by putting a peeled onion in the cavity and pouring a beer over the top. Cook for 7-8 hours (depending on size) on low. - You can also use a lemon or lime instead of the onion.

My SIL recently gave me one for beef tips, too. - Italian dressing, brown sugar, and garlic. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds yummy!

This one gives tips on how to keep your food from cooking too quickly.
Depending on what you're cooking, you could start the food from frozen. I do that with all kinds of things. It makes it faster to put together and needs to cook longer.

The newer crockpots do tend to cook hotter than older ones. It takes a bit of trial and error to learn what works with your pot. Also, it should be pretty full (like half or more) in order not to over cook things. You can put another smaller dish inside the pot to make yours smaller, if needed.

One of our favorite crock-pot concoctions is:

2 "rings" of sausage (we use 1 kielbasa and 1 smoked sausage)
4 cans whole potatoes w/ juice
3 cans green beans w/ juice

Slice the sausage, dump everything in the crockpot, add additional water if needed in order to cover everything, cook on low all day. I serve it with slices of bread from our bread maker. Could not be easier!

Index has been updated through this post.

Copied from another thread...

I have a pot roast in the crock pot as we speak:
1 3-4lb chuck roast
1 bag baby carrots
bunch of redskin potatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg lipton onion soup
I put potatoes and carrots in bottom.(I always use a crockpot liner so cleanup is easy)i put half of the mushroom and onion soup on top of them. I then put roast on top and smear the rest of the mushroom and onion soup over it. Cook on low 8-10 hours. I am using my big crockpot to cook this.

Crockpot chili

1 lb ground beef
1 cans tomato soup, undrained
1 cans kidney beans, undrained
2 tablespoons chili powder
diced onion/celery if you have it

cook ground beef with onion then add the rest. Not sure if you can buy cooked ground beef or hamburgers then chop up.

Put a raw pork tenderloin in the crockpot w/salt & pepper and cook on low for 5-6 hours. shred and put on buns with bbq sauce

And last night I took shortcut to make ham & beans. (That's PA Dutch food for those that don't know...green beans & ham. Yum! It's usually done with a ham bone & very little actual meat.) I had a very small amount of ham left from a spiral-cut ham. I put a bag of frozen green beans (defrosted) in the bottom, put half the ham pieces on, then another bag of green beans & the rest of the ham. I added a cup of water and 2 cans of whole potatoes. (I don't know why I like the canned ones for this. LOL) It worked great! And I didn't need to simmer the ham bone & strain all the "junk" out of the broth to do it. :thumbsup2

I'm working on updating the index now. However, it may not be posted until tomorrow. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting DIS pages to load today. :confused3

I found DIS slow yesterday too!

I've got a beef dish in the crockpot and I'm trying to find a way to do my cobbler topping on top (works OK in the regular oven but didn't come out quite right before). Its a cheesy mixture - should I just use regular bisquick to save bother?

Copied from another thread...

And last night I took shortcut to make ham & beans. (That's PA Dutch food for those that don't know...green beans & ham. Yum! It's usually done with a ham bone & very little actual meat.) I had a very small amount of ham left from a spiral-cut ham. I put a bag of frozen green beans (defrosted) in the bottom, put half the ham pieces on, then another bag of green beans & the rest of the ham. I added a cup of water and 2 cans of whole potatoes. (I don't know why I like the canned ones for this. LOL) It worked great! And I didn't need to simmer the ham bone & strain all the "junk" out of the broth to do it. :thumbsup2

Ok, this ham and beans is right up my alley! I always have a hambone in the freezer, got a bag of frozen green beans and some canned potatoes! I'm going to make this in my mid-size crockpot (just DH and I and only one bag of beans) and take some cornbread slices out of the freezer and voila! Thanks for the nudge. :)

I know this is going to sound strange but it is yummy!

BBQ Sandwiches
Pork or beef roast
one bottle of bbq sauce
jar of hamburger sliced pickles

Pour it all into the crockpot with the pickle juice and cook for 6 hours. Mash with a potato masher and serve on a bun. It is so good!

Anyone have any good game recipes? e.g. duck, venison (deer), pheasant, partridge etc?

Found elsewhere...

If they're the country style ribs I find they come out best in the crock pot. Here's a recipe I use (got it off the Disboards) that my family loves. Once the ribs are done I de-bone & de-fat them and thicken the "gravy" and serve it over egg noodles.
Sorry Mazda, no recipes for game here, but I'm adding this recipe I found elsewhere...

Crockpot Beer and Salsa Ribs

1 rack pork ribs
1 jar medium salsa
1 (12 oz) bottle of beer - I used Corona, but use whatever
1 envelope Onion Gravy
1 medium onion sliced

Cut the pork rack into smaller pieces, put in the crockpot and throw in all the other ingredients, give it a good stir and cook on LOW for 8 hours.

Anyone have any good game recipes? e.g. duck, venison (deer), pheasant, partridge etc?

I found this website and plan on using most of the recipes off it.I got over 150lbs already in the deep freeze.This is A good way of cooking it instead of making burger meat out of it.I do save the backstrap tho,the best part of the deer!
Here is the site.:thumbsup2

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/crock.htm

Here's a recipe my non-cabbage loving family raved about:

Crockpot Cabbage
2 cups cooked rice
1lb hamburger
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 tbls Worcestershire sauce
1 small cabbage, sliced
Mix rice, hamburger, onion and seasonings. In separate bowl, mix tomato sauce with Worchestershire sauce. In crockpot, layer cabbage and meat mixture with tomato mixture over every layer. (Usually get 3 layers of cabbage and two of meat.) Cook high for an hour or two and low the rest of day, but if start early in day, can cook low all day.

My DH would love this one. Is it suppose to be uncooked rice?

Thanks - I'll check that link out:thumbsup2 I always do a venison casserole in red wine for Christmas Eve (but I tell DH and DS(16) its beef as they won't eat "Bambi" - DS(10 not so bothered :rotfl2:) and thought I might try some other stuff while I'm ordering as my supplier has 10% off in November.:thumbsup2

I did the 5-flavour chicken yesterday (at last!), with a couple of changes....
First, no pineapple in the house, so I added extra apple and cranberry juice. About 3 hours before the end I had a brainwave and peeled and sliced a lonely cooking apple into the mix -I was wondering what to do with that! (It did completely turn to much, in case you wondered:rolleyes1 ). and because it was Sunday I served it with roast potatoes, roast parsnips, stuffing (ours is more like sausagemeat than your bread stuff) and peas. DS(10) loved the "gravy" particularly.

I was having terrible worries as I didn't like the smell while it was cooking, but actually it was very nice.:)

Not sure if anyone's posted this, but I tried it yesterday and it was quick and yummy! Adapted from the busy woman's slow cooker book (or something like that)

ANGEL PASTA

1lb chicken, diced
Dried thyme and basil
1 onion
1 tin chopped tomatoes (do not drain!)
1 tin cream of mushroom soup (or whatever you fancy)
Little slop of milk to rinse out the tins
1 pkt angel hair pasta

Chop the onion and put into 4 quart slow cooker with all the other ingredients. Stir well. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
At end of cooking time cook pasta according to instructions. Serve sauce over pasta.

We had a little parmesan on top (not as much as we would have on a less creamy sauce) and everyone gobbled it up. Easily doubled for a crowd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter