Crock pot crazy

I just watched Rachel Ray make this. While it's not my usual type of Crockpot Cooking (dump & forget LOL) it looked so good I'm thinking of trying it!

Honey-Lemon Chicken with Potatoes
Serves 4

2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Salt and ground black pepper
1½ pounds baby potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
4 to 5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked and chopped
2 lemons, thinly sliced
¼ cup honey
¼ cup chicken stock or water

To finish:
Zest of 1 lemon, cut into strips
½ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
½ cup pine nuts, toasted (or slivered almonds)
Balsamic Drizzle (recipe follows)

Preparation:

In a skillet, heat EVOO over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and brown on both sides.

Scatter the potatoes, onion, garlic, thyme and lemon slices in the bowl of a crock pot. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the browned chicken over the veggies and drizzle with honey. Add stock, cover and cook, undisturbed, for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.

Serve each portion topped with a combination of lemon zest, parsley, toasted nuts and balsamic drizzle.

Balsamic Drizzle
Yield: 8 servings (keeps in refrigerator)

1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Combine vinegar and sugar in a small pot over medium-high heat and bring up to a bubble. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the liquids until they've reduced by about half and are thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.

- - - - -
Also from the Rachel Ray Show ("courtesy of Stephanie O'dea) & untried - I keep forgetting about these but want to make them. I love the flavors of Indian & Thai foods.

Indian-Style Crock Pot Curry
Yield: 4 servings

13.5-ounce can coconut milk
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Few dashes hot sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1-inch knob ginger, peeled and grated
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ large eggplant, peeled and cut into chunks
2 medium sweet potatoes
14-ounce can chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 pounds bone-in skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
White rice
1 lemon, cut into wedges, to garnish
2 scallions, thinly sliced, to garnish
½ cup chopped cilantro, to garnish
1 cup chopped toasted peanuts, to garnish
¼ cup mango chutney, to garnish

In the bowl of a crock pot combine the coconut milk, tomato paste, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and hot sauce. To that add the onion, garlic, ginger, bell pepper, eggplant, sweet potatoes, chick peas, and chicken. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper and then turn the crock pot on to high heat, cover it, and let the curry stew for about 4 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.

Serve the curry with prepared rice and garnish with lemon wedges, scallions, cilantro, peanuts and mango chutney.

- - - - - -
Thai-Style Crock Pot Curry
Yield: 4 servings

13.5-ounce can coconut milk
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Thai red or green chili paste (you can add more if you like things really spicy, just be careful – this stuff's hot!!)
1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
1 medium onion, chopped
1-inch knob ginger, peeled and grated
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ large eggplant, peeled and cut into chunks
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 pounds bone-in skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
White rice
1 lime, cut into wedges, to garnish
2 scallions, thinly sliced, to garnish
½ cup chopped cilantro, to garnish
½ cup chopped basil, to garnish

In the bowl of a crock pot combine the coconut milk, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili paste, and fish sauce (if you're using it). To that add the onion, garlic, ginger, bell peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and chicken. Turn the crock pot on to high heat, cover it, and let the curry stew for about 4 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.

Serve the curry with prepared rice and garnish with lime wedges, scallions, cilantro, and basil.

I think the chicken would turn out OK without the pre-frying in eVOO;) (I always skip that process myself and just give it a little extra on HIGH):goodvibes

I found another thread with some more crockpot recipes: "Spring/Summer Crockpot recipes?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2423366 I'm going to copy the recipes here so they're all together for the index.

Here they are. Enjoy!

Pulled Pork Barbecue

Dry Rub
3 T paprika
1 T garlic powder
1 T brown sugar
1 T dry mustard
3 T Sea salt
5-7 pound pork shoulder or butt roast

Mix dry rub ingredients together and rub over roast. Cover and refridgerate 1 hour or up to overnight

Place in crockpot cook on low about 8 hours or until falling apart.

While pork is still warm pull apart, pour 1/2 of juice over pork and mix so the pork is covered well.

Coca Cola Braised Pork
3 pounds pork shoulder or butt roast
12 ounces Coke (not diet)
1 c barbecue sauce ( I use Sweet Baby Rays)
1/2 - 1 T black pepper

Put pork in crock pot. Pour in coke and barbecue sauce. Grind in fresh pepper.
Cover cook on low 5-6 hours. Remove pork and shred. Seve with BBQ sauce on the side. Great with Onion rolls.

I like this recipe for the crockpot in winter over rice, but in the spring/summer, I just serve it with tortillas and a salad.

Ingredients

* 4-6 boneless chicken breasts

* 1 can black beans

* 1 can corn

* 1 jar salsa, any kind

* 1 package cream cheese (light works fine)

Directions

1.Take 4-6 boneless chicken breasts put into crock pot. (frozen is ok)
2. Add beans, drained, salsa, corn drained.
3.Cook on high for about 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked.
4. Add 1 package of cream cheese (just throw it on top!) and let sit for about 1/2 hour.

I just found this thread...I love to cook with my crock pot, especially living in Florida during the summer. I try not to turn my oven on at all during the summer!

I will post some of my favorites soon.

Has anyone had a crockpot that had to be used on high all the time? I bought a new one about two months ago and this has happened twice already: I put a roast in, on low, around 9 AM and by 5 PM it's still not fall apart tender and the carrots are still quite hard. This crock has a low, med & high setting. I switched it to med around 1, then high around 4. I ended up taking it out of the crock a little while ago and I'm now cooking it in the oven. Maybe this crock needs to be on high?????

I always put my roast in the crockpot while it's still frozen, with potatoes, carrots, onions, seasonings on high in the morning (maybe around 9 or so) and we have a nice, tender roast between 5-6pm

I always put my roast in the crockpot while it's still frozen, with potatoes, carrots, onions, seasonings on high in the morning (maybe around 9 or so) and we have a nice, tender roast between 5-6pm

Do you leave it on high for all that time??? What kind of roast?

I've put (not frozen) beef in for 6-8 hours with just a chopped onion and a jar of cranberry sauce - we did a rib of beef in the conventional oven the other week and DH said its really not worth the extra hassle and mess compared with crockpotting it :goodvibes

I just made chicken and gravy. Served it over mashed potatoes. I have served it over biscuits too. Really easy, did not measure anything.

Chicken and Gravy
boneless chicken breasts, I used 2 large, but you can use more or less
water, can use chicken stock or broth
chicken base, can use bouillon
cornstarch

Spray crockpot with pam. Place chicken in crock, add about 1/4 cup of water. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove chicken, cool slightly, cut up or shred. Add more water. This will be the gravy so I usually start with about 2 cups than add more. Add chicken base. Taste broth, adjust water or chicken base amounts. I make it a little strong, because I will add more water with some cornstarch to thicken. Add chicken back in, add more water if needed. Cover and cook until hot again. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water, pour into crock, cook on high until gravy has thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes or biscuits.

You can season the breasts if you want, or not. I don't. The seasoning from the chicken base is usually enough. If the cornstarch doesn't thicken it enough I just add more.

I have even turned leftovers into chicken noodle soup. Throw leftovers in a sprayed crockpot, add cut up veggies, fresh or frozen. Add water or broth. I use water and chicken base. Cook on low until veggies are done. Serve over cooked noodles in a bowl. I cook noodles on stove top and scoop them into bowls. I don't add them to the soup, they get mushy. I prefer them added to each bowl. You can also use cooked rice instead of noodles. You can probably add cream, to have creamy chicken noodle/rice soup. Just add the cream during the last 20 minutes or so.

Very easy, no measuring just eyeball amounts based on how much or little you need to make.

Thanks for all those recipes. I've had my crockpot for a few years now, but I haven't managed to try any new recipes. I just usually make beef stew when I use it. Now, I'm gonna have to try out these recipes!

This is a recipe for super simple chicken taco filling. I have also eaten it stand-alone as a stew.

In crockpot, add the following:

- 26-30 oz. of salsa
- one envelope of taco seasoning (chicken or generic taco seasoning)
- Two pounds of boneless whole chicken breast.

Cook for 4 hours on high. After about 3 hours, use a spoon to "break apart" the chicken into strings.

Serve with slotted spoon as this is very 'soupy'.

Add to warm tortilla's with sliced lettuce, avocado, and rice.

Personally, I use a low-spice salsa (mild Pace is good, but Tostitos' chunky was better). I leave it on the counter and let everyone make their own.

My, oh my, oh my!!!

Dh and the boys are off on their own today, so I thought I would come downstairs on the computer to look up crock-pot recipes and I came upon this thread. MMM-MMM-MMM

I'm only on page 9 but I've already copied/pasted a few recipes to my new "crock pot recipe" folder. Works out good too. Earlier today I made out my grocery list for tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to have to add a few ingredients. Can't wait try some of these recipes.

Thanks and keep 'em coming.

Browned first or not? (and how? oven or skillet?)
stir or not?
Tomatoes or BBQ?
Pasta added or cooked separately??

TIA!:goodvibes

When I make meatballs, I put the tomato sauce in the crockpot, then add the raw meatballs. Cook the pasta separately.

I stir a couple of times over the course of the day because I use the big stirring spoon to skim the fat/oil off the top of the sauce. Maybe 2 or 3 times in the afternoon.

Funnily enough after I posted I found a recipe which works as you suggested, and that is how I've been doing it :thumbsup2 I tend to mop up the fat with kitchen paper.

Do you leave it on high for all that time??? What kind of roast?

Sorry for the slow response...internet's been down for about a week now.

Anyways, I leave it on high all the time. I also buy the chuck roast. A little more fatty but has more flavor, I think.

I think I got this next "recipe" from this thread, but I'm not quite sure. Put a pack of onion soup mix on the bottom of the crockpot, put the roast on top then spoon a can of jellied cranberry sauce on top of the roast. OMG, was this good. I've made it twice within the last month and I CANNOT stand cranberry sauce.

I do that one a lot (with fresh onion in the bottom). :goodvibes: Sometimes I use half cranberry and half stock, as the boys complained "there's too much wine in here! and wouldn't believe there was NONE! :rotfl: I also rub the outside of the meat with a mix of dry mustard and seasoned flour.

I'm a little late to this thread but there is a couple of ladies on Facebook that have started a page. It was called Crock Pot Girls but just tonight they had to change it to Crockin' Girls because of trademark issues. They also have a webpage but it's still crockpotgirls.com. It has tons and tons and tons of recipes. I do suspect that they will have to change the webpage as well. Anyway, my favoritethat I have tried so far from there is:

Chocolate Lava Cake
Ingredients:
1 package devils food cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 2/3 cups water
1 package Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding Mix
2 cups cold milk
1 bag (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Prepare cake mix into batter using eggs, oil, and water. Pour into crock-pot.
Prepare Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix using milk. Pour this over cake mix in crock-pot.
Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the top of the batter.
Cook in crock-pot on high setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until cake is moist but not jiggle,
and little volcanoes of spitting chocolate appear on top.
Serve with ice cream, whipped topping, or on its own.

Tomorrow I'm experimenting with another version that someone said tastes just like strawberry cheesecake. I am substituting strawberry cake mix for the chocolate cake, cheesecake pudding instead of chocolate and white chocolate chips instead of chocolate chips.

Just checking back in. The strawberry version of lava cake was a disappointment and probably because the chocolate lava cake is so over the top good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter