Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we all just stipulate that since we are participating on a board revolving around Disney vacations that we all WANT Disney to open everything like, tomorrow?
But because there is a complete lack of real info regarding the domestic parks (even the official DL news that came out is vague) people are left to speculate. I don’t take anyone’s opinion on opening dates as anything other than that. No matter what source they may have. I don’t really understand while people get so emotional if someone thinks it will be later rather than sooner

Thank you. I don't get it, either. We are all bored at home and speculating. NO ONE KNOWS.

Just because I think August a likely date doesn't mean I want that! I am ready to see people in the parks TOMORROW.

In the end, we are all just giving opinions and trying to support each other and distract each other from the real world.

I hate when people think they know my mind from a post on a message board.

Quite a few of the people saying August or beyond have also said in different posts that they wouldn't go to Disney if they had reservations for June 1st out of safety. So I do think that there are some people that dont want Disney to open on June 1st. Whether its for selfish reasons (“If I cant go, I dont want anyone to go”), or for actual safety concerns is up for debate.

People plan these trips well ahead of time, and for some its not a regular occurrence going to Disney parks. So i think people have every right to get a little emotional if their trip is potentially going to be cancelled

I understand where you're coming from. The only thing that grinds my gears is how quick so many dismiss what other theme parks across the country are doing. Cedar Fair parks have said they don't plan on opening in the near term. I wish some would stop looking down on those parks.

Enjoy reading all the speculation, theories, conspiracy theories, etc., but will only believe the big mouse. Who, I hope speaks sometime soon as we have several trips planned this year:
  • 2 weeks in mid August
  • 1 week in November
  • 1 week from over Christmas / New Years
As you might tell, my family and I are Disney fanatics!

I have not been shy about hoping Disney’s opening is done slowly, cautiously, and later than those who want them to throw open the gates ASAP.

I think if done wrong it can set it all back in the long run, both life in Florida and a return to normal where we all feel safe coming. There is absolutely no part of me that doesn’t feel sympathy for people caught up in the cancellations. I was one and it really really sucks. 2 months later it still sucks. I really don’t think anyone hopes people can’t go out of spite.

Quite a few of the people saying August or beyond have also said in different posts that they wouldn't go to Disney if they had reservations for June 1st out of safety. So I do think that there are some people that dont want Disney to open on June 1st. Whether its for selfish reasons (“If I cant go, I dont want anyone to go”), or for actual safety concerns is up for debate.

People plan these trips well ahead of time, and for some its not a regular occurrence going to Disney parks. So i think people have every right to get a little emotional if their trip is potentially going to be cancelled

We get emotional about everything around here 🤪
I understand. And I’m not immune or holier than thou I’ve gotten myself worked up over a thing or 2 on the odd thread here and there.
Just wanted to reinforce our common ground. We all want it open, we all want this over, we all want everybody to get their jobs back etc
Figuring out how to do all that? That’s the emotional quagmire...

I think this and other threads on the Rumors Board are providing the analysis for these journalists. It's some of the same speculations we have been discussing here. :bored:

Something key is that if Disney is losing 30 million dollars per day, or whatever crazy amount it is, opening may not bring profits, but may reduce the amount that they are losing, especially since they would staff the park to the reduced capacity.
That's what the "positive contribution" comment made by Chapek in the earnings call meant. They would open the parks if they could even lose less money than they would have by keeping the closed.

I think this and other threads on the Rumors Board are providing the analysis for these journalists. It's some of the same speculations we have been discussing here. :bored:

Something key is that if Disney is losing 30 million dollars per day, or whatever crazy amount it is, opening may not bring profits, but may reduce the amount that they are losing, especially since they would staff the park to the reduced capacity.

it would also probably give a good boost to stock prices

I understand where you're coming from. The only thing that grinds my gears is how quick so many dismiss what other theme parks across the country are doing. Cedar Fair parks have said they don't plan on opening in the near term. I wish some would stop looking down on those parks.

No one’s looking down on them. Those are just completely different park structures than Disney. Theres more expectations from investors for Disney than there are from investors for Cedar Fair. A lot of their rides are rollercoasters, outdoors, and some of their parks went through 3-4 months of below freezing weather, so its not as easy to get those rides back up and ready.

The chicken restaurant at Knotts is opened up and allowing people inside the restaurant to order their food. Completely different operation than a theme park, but I also wouldnt take their quote of possibly not opening up in the near term very seriously

Also - I think there is a solid amount of pressure on them to open sooner rather than later. I read something about the travel industry hinging on Disney World reopening. It's symbolic to the economy. It gives people somewhere to go, and to get there - they have to buy tickets, buy gas, etc etc.

I'm sure they won't go willy nilly into it - but I do think it will "soon".

No one’s looking down on them. Those are just completely different park structures than Disney. Theres more expectations from investors for Disney than there are from investors for Cedar Fair. A lot of their rides are rollercoasters, outdoors, and some of their parks went through 3-4 months of below freezing weather, so its not as easy to get those rides back up and ready.

The chicken restaurant at Knotts is opened up and allowing people inside the restaurant to order their food. Completely different operation than a theme park, but I also wouldnt take their quote of possibly not opening up in the near term very seriously
Cedar Fair and other seasonal parks also likely will hit a point in the summer where it doesn't make sense to open up. Most of those parks are only open full time through Labor day or so and then they're open on weekends through Halloween. It's a different operating model.

I have not been shy about hoping Disney’s opening is done slowly, cautiously, and later than those who want them to throw open the gates ASAP.

I think if done wrong it can set it all back in the long run, both life in Florida and a return to normal where we all feel safe coming. There is absolutely no part of me that doesn’t feel sympathy for people caught up in the cancellations. I was one and it really really sucks. 2 months later it still sucks. I really don’t think anyone hopes people can’t go out of spite.

Bottom line is, theyre not going to open up until they have a plan in place that is as safe as humanly possible for their guests. But if they wait for every single potential Disney guest to be ready to return, they wont open for quite a few years. Their opening, no matter when it turns out to be will ruffle feathers. If they open on June 1st, its not with the intention to make money at the expense of health and safety of others. They’re going to open up with a plan to make money while doing all they can to keep people safe and healthy

I can be honest with you. I would not go June 1. My res is not until end of August. So selfishly June 1 open would be great for us. Het a chance to watch the numbers, see how the modifications work out etc. but 2 things, I would not impose my reluctance to go on anyone nor would I “root” for anyone else to have their trip ruined. I planned my trip for April quite a while ago to be in WDW for my daughters sweet 16. Had every dining and FP she wanted. Got blown out 6 days before departure. So I get it all too well
BUT if it’s my prediction that there is much to do and see before an opening can be announced and I theorize that here . I am making a logical judgement and engaging with others to see their perspective. I don’t think 6/1 is logically possible. I hope I am completely wrong
Lastly thank you for engaging me with your perspective. Not enough people do that these days. I truly appreciate the discourse. And I hope you and yours get to go whenever you want with no issues and completely safely

Cedar Fair and other seasonal parks also likely will hit a point in the summer where it doesn't make sense to open up. Most of those parks are only open full time through Labor day or so and then they're open on weekends through Halloween. It's a different operating model.

Good point. I know some stay open for Christmas festivities, but for the most part, they’re 6 month parks. If they’re missing out on 1/3 of their season, how much does it really benefit them to open? Not rhetorical, I honestly wonder how monetarily beneficial it is to only open for 4 months. Disney is a 365 day operation.

Also - I think there is a solid amount of pressure on them to open sooner rather than later. I read something about the travel industry hinging on Disney World reopening. It's symbolic to the economy. It gives people somewhere to go, and to get there - they have to buy tickets, buy gas, etc etc.

I'm sure they won't go willy nilly into it - but I do think it will "soon".
100%, they are getting pressure from all aspects here in Central Florida. The area is financially bleeding every day the big parks are closed, I've said this before, the big parks being closed affects everyone from big conventions, to huge resorts to smaller gift shops, restaurants, to mom and pop store on 192 and IDrive

Bottom line is, theyre not going to open up until they have a plan in place that is as safe as humanly possible for their guests. But if they wait for every single potential Disney guest to be ready to return, they wont open for quite a few years. Their opening, no matter when it turns out to be will ruffle feathers. If they open on June 1st, its not with the intention to make money at the expense of health and safety of others. They’re going to open up with a plan to make money while doing all they can to keep people safe and healthy

I don’t think anybody has suggested they wait for literally everybody to comfortable enough to return. That is obviously unreasonable, you’ll have people who won’t be comfortable again for years.

My concerns are safety and pandemic related, not “if I can’t have it nobody can” related, like you brought up in your first comment. There is not one person I would put into that category who has been regularly posting here.

100%, they are getting pressure from all aspects here in Central Florida. The area is financially bleeding every day the big parks are closed, I've said this before, the big parks being closed affects everyone from big conventions, to huge resorts to smaller gift shops, restaurants, to mom and pop store on 192 and IDrive
I’m going to make this my last word for now cause I feel I left it in a good place...open as soon as they can. But please don’t solely base it on “pressure”. Do it in conjunction with sound public health data that suppprts the decision. Please don’t ask what I mean by public health data as I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole here...peace out

I can be honest with you. I would not go June 1. My res is not until end of August. So selfishly June 1 open would be great for us. Het a chance to watch the numbers, see how the modifications work out etc. but 2 things, I would not impose my reluctance to go on anyone nor would I “root” for anyone else to have their trip ruined. I planned my trip for April quite a while ago to be in WDW for my daughters sweet 16. Had every dining and FP she wanted. Got blown out 6 days before departure. So I get it all too well
BUT if it’s my prediction that there is much to do and see before an opening can be announced and I theorize that here . I am making a logical judgement and engaging with others to see their perspective. I don’t think 6/1 is logically possible. I hope I am completely wrong
Lastly thank you for engaging me with your perspective. Not enough people do that these days. I truly appreciate the discourse. And I hope you and yours get to go whenever you want with no issues and completely safely

I appreciate the civil differing of opinions, its just exhausting seeing the “I dont think they’ll open until much later this year, if not next year” and then seeing comments kind of making fun of people that are still optimistic about them opening in June. None of us truly know. What we do know is theyre still allowing bookings in June, and June 1st still hasn’t been cancelled. Whether thats changed or not, we’ll find out soon. But until then, thats the strongest evidence we can speculate on right now. I’m lucky enough that I’m able to get down there 2-3 times a year, and the longer this lasts, the longer my AP gets extended, and as someone who needs the parks closed until around the 7th or 8th of June to have my AP extended to when I go down in January for the Marathon, I’m not opposed to the parks being closed until mid June. But there are a lot of people, not just on here that are maybe making their first, and possibly only trip to WDW in their life that are being impacted and might not have the funds to make another plan to go down.

I’m going to make this my last word for now cause I feel I left it in a good place...open as soon as they can. But please don’t solely base it on “pressure”. Do it in conjunction with sound public health data that suppprts the decision. Please don’t ask what I mean by public health data as I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole here...peace out
It seems like this is what Disney is doing based on the release from their Medical department after the earnings call.

I appreciate the civil differing of opinions, its just exhausting seeing the “I dont think they’ll open until much later this year, if not next year” and then seeing comments kind of making fun of people that are still optimistic about them opening in June. None of us truly know. What we do know is theyre still allowing bookings in June, and June 1st still hasn’t been cancelled. Whether thats changed or not, we’ll find out soon. But until then, thats the strongest evidence we can speculate on right now. I’m lucky enough that I’m able to get down there 2-3 times a year, and the longer this lasts, the longer my AP gets extended, and as someone who needs the parks closed until around the 7th or 8th of June to have my AP extended to when I go down in January for the Marathon, I’m not opposed to the parks being closed until mid June. But there are a lot of people, not just on here that are maybe making their first, and possibly only trip to WDW in their life that are being impacted and might not have the funds to make another plan to go down.

Please stop trying to read everyone's tone and mind. I don't see anyone making fun of people. We all know that if our trips were at stake we would be emotional, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter