Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldnt else we'll see the 2nd wave very soon.

Love how some posters spout this idea of the impending 2nd wave as absolute fact. The reality is nobody knows. It is very likely people were thinking SARs would have a second wave or resurgence, I did. The only thing that is clear we don't know exactly. Science has ideas and those may very well bear out, but to declare it as fact is naive at best.

I'm sure lots of places (Disney included) that open will be sensitive to changes in the curve, make necessary adjustments, and be flexible in case we need to draw back. You are right in the only way to guaranty no 2nd wave is to keep lockdowns in force until a vaccine is develop, assuming it can be. But that doesn't balance the other factors like the economy, mental health, jobs, etc. Disney (and others) are very likely to open at some point in the coming months and I feel confident they will base that decision on careful consideration not blind fear.

Love how some posters spout this idea of the impending 2nd wave as absolute fact. The reality is nobody knows. It is very likely people were thinking SARs would have a second wave or resurgence, I did. The only thing that is clear we don't know exactly. Science has ideas and those may very well bear out, but to declare it as fact is naive at best.

I'm sure lots of places (Disney included) that open will be sensitive to changes in the curve, make necessary adjustments, and be flexible in case we need to draw back. You are right in the only way to guaranty no 2nd wave is to keep lockdowns in force until a vaccine is develop, assuming it can be. But that doesn't balance the other factors like the economy, mental health, jobs, etc. Disney (and others) are very likely to open at some point in the coming months and I feel confident they will base that decision on careful consideration not blind fear.
SARS only had 8000 cases total didnt it? Once it was wiped out it was gone for good I believe.

With Covid, we're up to 2.3m and that's just the cases tested. We cant keep the entire world locked down until we're down to zero active cases to wipe it out so chances of a 2nd wave are significantly higher than with SARs I would have thought.

SARS only had 8000 cases total didnt it? Once it was wiped out it was gone for good I believe.

With Covid, we're up to 2.3m and that's just the cases tested. We cant keep the entire world locked down until we're down to zero active cases to wipe it out so chances of a 2nd wave are significantly higher than with SARs I would have thought.

I won't disagree that chances may be higher, but you have stated multiple times as fact that relaxing social distancing will create a second wave. My point is nobody knows if that is really true.

The point of lockdown was to flatten the curve so hospitals were not overwhelmed, not end the virus. Hard to argue against the evidence that has been achieved with possible exception of NY initially.

Ok, but do you agree a 2nd wave is highly likely, especially if social distancing is relaxed whilst there are still significant numbers of existing cases?

No I don't know that. Possible yes, likely? That's only speculation. I think it is much more widespread than we know as Stanford study suggests.

Bringing this back to Disney specifically I feel like some want to hold them responsible for any potential cases that might result from them opening. I think that is entirely unfair. As long as they take reasonable precautions I think that is all we can ask. Then it is up to individuals if they want to take the risk of going.

Well it appears that Disney and the NBA will be operating on their own time frame and not opening the doors as soon as local jurisdictions would technically allow them to. While selfishly upset that I'm missing my vacation that was to start tomorrow and potentially the one I have booked at the end of September, Silver and Iger prioritizing Public Safety is refreshing.
I honestly don’t think that statement means much. He truly can’t give a date til we see what’s going to happen but that goes for local governments implementing the phases too. They only know when they can start phase one & after that it’ll depend on what happens. Imo, it doesn’t mean they won’t open as soon as they’re allowed to.

I won't disagree that chances may be higher, but you have stated multiple times as fact that relaxing social distancing will create a second wave. My point is nobody knows if that is really true.

The point of lockdown was to flatten the curve so hospitals were not overwhelmed, not end the virus. Hard to argue against the evidence that has been achieved with possible exception of NY initially.

We DO know it's true, because it's happening in multiple countries that have tried to relax restrictions. And is something Disney is going to need to take into strong consideration.

Not many folks are going to like hearing that Disney is anticipating being closed a bit longer than they thought. They could have said 3 or 4 or 5 - but to come out with 6 must be worse case. They don't say they think it would last at least 6 months, but that 6 makes me think folks expecting anything under 6 is doubtful.
I agree. Part of that might be is trying to figure out how to implement some of the rumored measures in place. A lot of people are going to be upset when they have to reschedule their trip for a second time.

I would have rescheduled to next year, but that's just me.

We rescheduled our little weekend jaunt to Disneyland for Labor Day, and I told my family the chances of going are 90/10 at best. 90% chance we won’t go. I’m actually all for a longer extension because I don’t feel safe going at all this summer, and I don’t want to waste those months on my AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter