Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s an American work ethic thing. You suck it up and don’t let anyone down. I know folks that have been going into the office this whole time. Now, this mentality is finally going away at least for a bit. But it’s a huge cultural change. Imagine the Disney employees in the future sent home with a fever during flu season. It’s going to take some time to adjust to this change.
In online meetings with a VP and the CEO of my company they have both have said they are surprised how well working from home has been going.

I read this one this afternoon.. May 5th should bring a few answers. Fingers crossed.

“That’s a great question, and we’re working on a number of plans to reopen in a safe manner as quickly as possible, but at this time we’re not ready to talk about or set any specific timelines for reopening”.

but I’m cynical because I’ve listened to too many earnings calls lol.

love this!

Honestly if someone is going to break the rules they probably aren't going to advertise it.... but i have seen some not so smart people around here... so you never know.

However i will admit before any states were locked down and we saw the writing on the wall we debating going to Florida, for a host of reasons, we didn't and i wouldn't go now either.

However i will say if come June or July i still have to self isolate for 14 days to travel to Florida i will be annoyed. My family lives there, we go to Disney often... i would not be happy, and i would not go, and i am sure many others would skip out too, they aren't going to be able to restart tourism if they are making large numbers of people self isolate for 14 days, because people aren't going to come.

Same here. As long as we have to quarantine, we won’t be able to go.

Can I be extremely selfish and hope for June 2nd or later... then my season pass covers my next large trip in November.
I will be selfish with you . . . My trip starts the 9th.

Personally, I do not see them opening until after Memorial Day weekend, not only to avoid holiday crowds, but there is supposed to be a manned space launch around the same time and Brevard County says they are keeping their hotels and restaurants closed until after that to discourage tourists from coming to see it in person. That could push more people into Orlando as a result, and it might be difficult to limit capacity as a result. If they open after both of those late May events, the crowds may be more spread out.

https://www.wesh.com/article/disney-world-reopening-compared-to-disneyland/32322727
Saw this in this post... maybe we will know more May 5th.... hope so.. really tired of being in limbo.

Miller said a Disney earnings call scheduled for May 5 is expected to reveal significant information about future plans for the parks.
TLDR: a Wall St analyst expects Disney to announce reopening plans at the most convenient time for him to break the news to his firm/clients first 🤣

In online meetings with a VP and the CEO of my company they have both have said they are surprised how well working from home has been going.

I think, it's going pretty good. The first two weeks were pretty rough trying to get the technology working properly. Now, everything is working good. But I think a lot of people want to go back to escape their homes.

I can't even go camping as the campgrounds around me are closed.

But back to Disney, I think, it's going to be challenging initially with reopening. I wouldn't expect super smooth operations.

Definitely true, but I would love to not have to dig around my wallet to pull my ticket out every time I need to enter a fastpass line. I'm also paranoid about losing the ticket. On our first trip, we ended up with paper tickets and those didn't hold up too well.

You don't need to...it's all on your phone now. In fact, I feel that DL's system is actually more streamlined and cheaper than the Magic Band system, especially considering the amount of locals and semi-locals. I don't see DL management thinking that the bands will solve any of their specific problems in a post-COVID world.

I don't think it would just be a few people. In a Reuters poll (the only one I've seen on the subject), 59% of respondents said theme parks should not reopen until a vaccine is available, and only 20% said they would open a theme park as soon as it opened. I'm sure those numbers will shift as conditions improve, but I'm sure Disney will strongly take into account the fact that opening right now might anger a majority of the country, ie. their potential customers.

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I do think a message board of Disney fanatics (I’m one too) is causing a skewed perception of where the general public is. I think if I stopped a 100 random people on the street and asked “do you think you could maintain social distancing at WDW” they would look at me like I had two heads. Not everyone, but the majority of people in my social circle/coworkers/extended family are too nervous to send their kids to the daycare down the street or pick up takeout food and are attending virtual funerals. I just can’t see communities that aren’t allowed to have a play date today thinking that 30-60 days from now a 25k mass of people at a theme park is good optics.

In so many ways I want to be wrong, but I just can’t realistically see the opening that many people on here are starting to predict.

You don't need to...it's all on your phone now. In fact, I feel that DL's system is actually more streamlined and cheaper than the Magic Band system, especially considering the amount of locals and semi-locals. I don't see DL management thinking that the bands will solve any of their specific problems in a post-COVID world.

Even if WDW let us use our phones, I wouldn't. I don't touch my phone unless my hands are clean. I'd think maybe more people would be concerned about this. With a magicband, I can go from on fastpass directly to another without washing my hands since I don't need to pull out a ticket or phone. It seems like having to pull your phone out is a good way to spread illness since so many people touch their phone after touching public things.

I don't touch my phone unless my hands are clean. I'd think maybe more people would be concerned about this.
Considering how integrated mobile technology is in our lives (and how a lot of post COVID solutions encourage contactless and mobile payments such as Apple and Google Pay - especially at Disney), I'd say you are part of an extremely small minority of people who behave in this fashion.

It’s more streamlined but it takes longer for them to scan the ticket barcodes then it does for a magic band reader to read the magic band.

Even if WDW let us use our phones, I wouldn't. I don't touch my phone unless my hands are clean. I'd think maybe more people would be concerned about this. With a magicband, I can go from on fastpass directly to another without washing my hands since I don't need to pull out a ticket or phone. It seems like having to pull your phone out is a good way to spread illness since so many people touch their phone after touching public things.

Even if DL had magic bands, you would still have to use your phone for Max Pass. Personally, I LOVE Max Pass and believe it is much better then scheduling FPs months in advance, so if the suggestion is to get rid of it in favor of Magic bands with scheduled FPS, I would be very much against that and I would be shocked if others didn’t feel the same way.

WDW will take into consideration safety of its guests as its number 1 objective. There is a way to do this and make the economics work for them. Less capacity at resorts and parks with restricted hours means fewer CMs and lower operating costs per day. I am sure there are some very smart people who are studying labor, occupancy, pricing models, etc.. as well as stronger health and social distancing protocols than the state requires to make guests feel comfortable, safe and where they are not operating at a significant loss.

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I do think a message board of Disney fanatics (I’m one too) is causing a skewed perception of where the general public is. I think if I stopped a 100 random people on the street and asked “do you think you could maintain social distancing at WDW” they would look at me like I had two heads. Not everyone, but the majority of people in my social circle/coworkers/extended family are too nervous to send their kids to the daycare down the street or pick up takeout food and are attending virtual funerals. I just can’t see communities that aren’t allowed to have a play date today thinking that 30-60 days from now a 25k mass of people at a theme park is good optics.

In so many ways I want to be wrong, but I just can’t realistically see the opening that many people on here are starting to predict.
The fear will start to fade soon and then will come the realization that we are going to have to live with this virus. The virus isn’t going away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter