Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
People only look at the number of cases. Not that there were over 85,000 results dumped. Regardless, it’s still not good at 14.10%. I think we’ll peak this week. The good news is that Florida allows all to be tested which gives a true number.
Serious question, why do you think you’ll “peak” this week? What is Florida doing now that it wasn’t doing 3 weeks ago to that’s going to cause it to “peak” other than blind hope?

People only look at the number of cases.
No they don’t, at least not me. I’ve been following every indicator I can trying to find a sliver of hope so I could justify at least going to the first AP preview we’ve ever managed to get in on. I mostly focus on number of tests, number of cases, percentage of positives and the trends on all of those. I see nothing to be optimistic in any of those numbers no matter how much I wish I did.

I watched a video of how Sea World did their fireworks last night. They had giant orange circles painted on the ground as well as the Bayside stadium seating open. It looked they did a pretty good job. They were even enforcing masks when people were socially distanced in their circles.

Serious question, why do you think you’ll “peak” this week? What is Florida doing now that it wasn’t doing 3 weeks ago to that’s going to cause it to “peak” other than blind hope?

Because these high cases we have been seeing the last 2 weeks are really from 3-4 weeks ago which was BEFORE the bars closing and the new masks orders

We need to see what happens in the next 2 weeks or so which will line up with the new mask mandates and bars being closed.

No they don’t have to open now. My point more or less is this isn’t going away anytime soon. There will always be a risk when they open. The whole virus in this country has become such a political issue that’s its nearly impossible to get things standardized or even under control right now here. Obviously we can’t discuss that here but that’s unfortunately how it is.
FWIW I agree with everything you’ve written here. But if Disney opens now it’s going to be written about in the history books and it’s going to damage their brand forever. It’s just the reality of the situation.

People only look at the number of cases.
No they don’t, at least not me. I’ve been following every indicator I can trying to find a sliver of hope so I could justify at least going to the first AP preview we’ve ever managed to get in on. I mostly focus on number of tests, number of cases, percentage of positives and the trends on all of those. I see nothing to be optimistic in any of those numbers no matter how much I wish I did.

Maybe, just maybe, now that testing is more wide spread in Florida we are now actually seeing how common the virus has been in Florida for months and there isn’t an actual spike in cases.

The only way this could possibly make sense is if once you test positive for COVID you would always test positive for COVID. If you have tested positive for COVID, you do realize that the only way they know you have gotten over it is when you test negative for it. This is why the above statement makes no sense.

Is Disney not opening in phases? Two theme parks at a time? A few resorts at a time? Stage shows closed yet? Restrictions on attendance? Like I said it’s all a political thing when it comes to the states.
The park phases are only 4 days apart....that's not really a lot of time to look at what's working and what's not. It's only political because people aren't treating it for what it is - a public health crisis. But yeah, not the place for that discussion.

That is not a definite. Some ppl keep saying “taking unnecessary risks”...perhaps it depends where you live? Where I live pretty much most things are open & we go to those places. So if you’re competing visiting a theme park to only going out for essentials, sure, but compared to carrying on with regular life like we are here, then no.

Couldn’t traveling on vacation to another state that is a spiking hotspot be considered an unnecessary risk regardless of what’s open at home?

Last edited:
It doesn’t need to go away to make later better than now (from a COVID perspective, obviously there are logistical implications for Disney for stopping the train).

There is a lot of room between now and never. Opening something like Disney, one of the biggest tourist draws in the country (and keeping the other parks open), in a hot spot while cases are high is a lot different than opening it during a downward trend that happens in hopefully the not too distant future. Why the heck did they wait until mid July if opening like this was fine? Waiting on the reservation system?
I think there were several factors there. They obviously didn’t want to rush their opening. They also likely wanted to wait and see not only for more info on the virus but how other things around opened like Universal and SeaWorld. No I haven’t been to Universal but I think Universal has opened responsibly and I think Disney watched that closely and that’s a big reason why they are still going forward.

FWIW I agree with everything you’ve written here. But if Disney opens now it’s going to be written about in the history books and it’s going to damage their brand forever. It’s just the reality of the situation.

Yep.

Now the extent of the damage and whether it really impacts them more than outrage online, who knows, but it will be there. This is the negative side to being the big player in the game, to having loads and loads of people willing to deal with whatever cuts, price increase, and changes are made and handing over their money no matter what. They have benefited for years from people believing they’re the gold standard and the best, but there’s a greater level of responsibility that comes with that too.

Ok we get it

Florida has more cases. Positives are high. We get it. Next month another state will be in the same position.

Thankfully the vast overwhelming over 95 percent of them are going to get better and Many don’t even feel like they are sick.

At this point, people going in July already made up their mind about going to Disney

A lot of people on here are backhandedly trying to get people to change their opinion on going. If you don’t like it and don’t want to go, fine don’t. Stay home, but stop trying to influence other people to agree with you.

Some People don’t wanna open ever. It might not effect you but it affects tens of thousands

Have fun everyone going to Disney. Enjoy yourselves and stay safe

I’m not sure it will damage their brand forever. Surely this whole situation will be written about and studied for years to come.

Regardless, couldn’t traveling on vacation to another state that is a spiking hotspot be considered an unnecessary risk regardless of what’s open at home?
Yeah, absolutely this. That one poster earlier who was bragging that he was going to Disney World from NY and was going to ignore the quarantine requirements in both direction is from my part of NY state. It’s irresponsibility like that that puts my family at risk. My county right now has a positivity rate of less than 1 percent and is adding less then 5 new cases every day. I’d like to keep it that way, but people traveling to Disney World, ignoring quarantine requirements, then coming back and ignoring quarantine requirements is absolutely the kind of thing that will drive numbers back up.

Tomorrow's numbers will be significantly lower since many testing facilities are closed for the holiday. Happy 4th everyone!!!
I dont think they will since there is a very big lag in reporting cases. Lower yes, not substantially though.

I think there were several factors there. They obviously didn’t want to rush their opening. They also likely wanted to wait and see not only for more info on the virus but how other things around opened like Universal and SeaWorld. No I haven’t been to Universal but I think Universal has opened responsibly and I think Disney watched that closely and that’s a big reason why they are still going forward.

And since there has been no cases linked to either UO or SW I think this is big for Disney too moving forward.

I have heard NOTHING on the local news here about SW or UO since their opening. Which is a good thing

The only way this could possibly make sense is if once you test positive for COVID you would always test positive for COVID. If you have tested positive for COVID, you do realize that the only way they know you have gotten over it is when you test negative for it. This is why the above statement makes no sense.
No, if it there has been community spread among the young in Florida for months resulting in asymptotic cases that spread wouldn’t have stopped over the past few months. Now that people under the age of 35 are two thirds of those being tested we are now seeing the asymptotic community spread that has been there for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter