Ct. to The Fort - Route suggestions?

FWIW, we make the trip every year from Ontario, Canada to Florida and back. We used to take 81-77-26-95 but that means driving through the mountains and we've found that depending on traffic it's no faster (and possibly even a bit slower) than simply taking 81-15-270-495-95 (most direct way for us). Basically, we just check Google Maps and see what road it recommends.

FWIW, we make the trip every year from Ontario, Canada to Florida and back. We used to take 81-77-26-95 but that means driving through the mountains and we've found that depending on traffic it's no faster (and possibly even a bit slower) than simply taking 81-15-270-495-95 (most direct way for us). Basically, we just check Google Maps and see what road it recommends.

Yeah get that, we're torn. Heading down from NY mid next week and last trip we went way out PA way and honestly think it was just as long or in some ways longer bc it is a longer drive. Then again the time before that we hit DC at a really bad time and were stuck there for HOURS, it was horrible! We'll probably follow Waze recommendations. I wonder what time DC area is the worst. I would think rush hour of course. Is mid day less traffic?

We take 301 off of 95 in DE and than jump back on 95 in Virginia. Annapolis area can have traffic sometimes.

All this talking about not taking 95 straight down has me nervous. I'm driving alone in August with 3 of my kids. My goal is to leave at 4am Thursday morning (I am right by New Haven, CT) and I'm hoping to make it into North Carolina before I stop for the night. Now I feel like I'm being too ambitious:worried:.

All this talking about not taking 95 straight down has me nervous. I'm driving alone in August with 3 of my kids. My goal is to leave at 4am Thursday morning (I am right by New Haven, CT) and I'm hoping to make it into North Carolina before I stop for the night. Now I feel like I'm being too ambitious:worried:.

Not at all, if one does 100 mph in between stopping for gas, and bathroom breaks.
We leave Northeastern PA at 3am and usually stop in lower SC by about 5 or 6pm. We take 81, 77, to 26 and back to 95 tho.
Warmer weather has broke and now all the construction has begun.

Not at all, if one does 100 mph in between stopping for gas, and bathroom breaks.
We leave Northeastern PA at 3am and usually stop in lower SC by about 5 or 6pm. We take 81, 77, to 26 and back to 95 tho.
Warmer weather has broke and now all the construction has begun.
I have a Trucker Path app, hopefully that will help to route me through an easier route if I need to change. If I don't make it down in two days it isn't the end of the world. My husband will just get an extra day with only one kid (he's flying down due to his work schedule). Friday night I have a cabin scheduled, so he will have somewhere to sleep even if I don't make it down. Our site isn't reserved until Saturday.

As you mentioned route 15...I always see that pop up as an option with google, but always kind of said “nah” because it isn’t interstate. Looking at satellite view, however, it certainly seems “highway-ish”. Is it basically a limited access highway the entire time you (or anyone else reading this) are on it?

Yeah get that, we're torn. Heading down from NY mid next week and last trip we went way out PA way and honestly think it was just as long or in some ways longer bc it is a longer drive. Then again the time before that we hit DC at a really bad time and were stuck there for HOURS, it was horrible! We'll probably follow Waze recommendations. I wonder what time DC area is the worst. I would think rush hour of course. Is mid day less traffic?

We've driven down several times with no issues but were caught in very heavy traffic last year. I think it was still quite early (maybe 2pm) in the afternoon so we thought we'd be okay but maybe there was an accident or something (I'm pretty sure we were driving very slowly for a long time and then all of a sudden, it just opened up ... no idea what was causing the traffic or why it was suddenly gone).

As you mentioned route 15...I always see that pop up as an option with google, but always kind of said “nah” because it isn’t interstate. Looking at satellite view, however, it certainly seems “highway-ish”. Is it basically a limited access highway the entire time you (or anyone else reading this) are on it?

If you zoom in with Google Maps, you can see that the 15 is a divided highway. I tend not to actually pay attention to the route numbers (my wife just tells me which way to go and I follow the instructions) but I can't guarantee that's the way we went. Being that it's the most direct, it's probably that way though ...

Actually we just ended up going 95 hit between 12 to 1 in afternoon traffic wasnt bad luckily. Cannot bring propane in tunnel at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter