Damar Hamlin - prayers

I've read speculation he may have suffered commotio cordis. Hopefully the immediate intervention is positive for him.

Pray that is not the diagnosis.. commotio cordis is rare and difficult to survive. šŸ˜”

Last edited:
An AED was administered on the field, which I take to mean this was a cardiac event.
Yeahā€¦it was a fairly ā€œordinaryā€ play by NFL standards. Everyoneā€˜s first reaction is head injury, but it could equally be a cardiac event from the hit to the chest or unknown existing issue
An AED was administered on the field, which I take to mean this was a cardiac event.

An AED was used because he had no heart beat. We donā€™t know what caused his heart to stop at this point.

Reactions: GAN
I think an ESPN reporter said there is going to be a press conference at the hospital "shortly".

Local news just reported he is in critical condition and intubated. His vitals are stable.

Very sad, sometimes it's the mundane looking hits that are worse than we expect (I'm reminded of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s crash) depending on how and where things hit :sad1:

Also sending prayers to Tee Higgins, the Bengals player involved in the play. Nothing is his fault.

This is what I keep thinking about too. He must feel absolutely devastated.

Iā€™m not really a football fan, but at the root of it all, heā€™s still a human being. I hope he will be ok.

*he has had a gofundme up for a couple of years, trying to raise $2500 to help a daycare give out gifts at Christmas time. It had not yet raised its goal.

As of right now, itā€™s at $3.1 million. Donate if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

You can put an AED on but it doesnā€™t necessarily shock unless itā€™s a shockable rhythm. (Not all are.) But it was the best thing to do in that situation and quickly. That gives the best chance of survival for something like commotio cordis. CC is rare because there has to be a hit to an exact location in the chest during an exact moment of the electrical conduction of the heartbeat.

Iā€™m not a football fan and didnā€™t see even a video of this incident, but from what you guys have said, if there was a big hit, something inside couldā€™ve dislodged or punctured something else OR he couldā€™ve had a heart condition that caused a sudden arrythmia (which would probably be a best case scenario since that could likely be a shockable rhythm). I hope things work out for him.

We see these types of things in the hospital regularly, unfortunately.

You can put an AED on but it doesnā€™t necessarily shock unless itā€™s a shockable rhythm. (Not all are.) But it was the best thing to do in that situation and quickly. That gives the best chance of survival for something like commotio cordis. CC is rare because there has to be a hit to an exact location in the chest during an exact moment of the electrical conduction of the heartbeat.

Iā€™m not a football fan and didnā€™t see even a video of this incident, but from what you guys have said, if there was a big hit, something inside couldā€™ve dislodged or punctured something else OR he couldā€™ve had a heart condition that caused a sudden arrythmia (which would probably be a best case scenario since that could likely be a shockable rhythm). I hope things work out for him.

We see these types of things in the hospital regularly, unfortunately.
I think they were talking about another player at a different time being injured from a hard hit. The one this player had before the event was normal to the naked eye. Whatever caused it, I'm thinking he might have suffered an anoxic brain injury from being down for the 20 mins or so... Hopefully he'll be alright.

DH started talking about this last night, and we turned on the news. It is absolutely horrifying. Prayers for a full recovery!

I think they were talking about another player at a different time being injured from a hard hit. The one this player had before the event was normal to the naked eye. Whatever caused it, I'm thinking he might have suffered an anoxic brain injury from being down for the 20 mins or so... Hopefully he'll be alright.
I hope they were able to restore a normal rhythm then, and that heā€™s able to recover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter