Damar Hamlin - prayers

Pray that is not the diagnosis.. commotio cordis is rare and difficult to survive. 😔
While rare, CC is not that difficult to survive, especially with prompt treatment by an AED. Survivability without an AED is 56%, with an AED that number is much higher. There are usually a few cases every year related to youth baseball and one of the big reasons we have AEDs at our youth ball fields in my area.

While rare, CC is not that difficult to survive, especially with prompt treatment by an AED. Survivability without an AED is 56%, with an AED that number is much higher. There are usually a few cases every year related to youth baseball and one of the big reasons we have AEDs at our youth ball fields in my area.
I helped get one in the facility where my son played, too. He was a pitcher, so I worried a lot.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...bengals-buffalo-safety-in-critical-condition/

“Hamlin, 24, suffered a cardiac arrest following the hit with his heartbeat restored on the field, the Bills announced in a statement early Tuesday morning. The team further divulged that Hamlin is "sedated and listed in critical condition."

Yes, his heart stopping is cardiac arrest. We still don’t know what caused it. I’m an RN for over 44 years, I worked in cardiology, I know about cardiac issues. I said using an AED means his heart stopped. I don’t know what your point is.

Very sad. I hope he pulls through as well. I’ll never forget the look on the refs face when he collapsed. That was scary.

Kudos to the owners and coaches of the Bengals and Bills for coming together to say they wouldn’t continue.

And kudos to the broadcasters who were reporting in real time. That is not an easy thing to witness and they did so with dignity and grace.

Very sad. I hope he pulls through as well. I’ll never forget the look on the refs face when he collapsed. That was scary.

Kudos to the owners and coaches of the Bengals and Bills for coming together to say they wouldn’t continue.

And kudos to the broadcasters who were reporting in real time. That is not an easy thing to witness and they did so with dignity and grace.

In addition, kudos to the network executives who showed the greatest respect and sensitivity to all involved by not rebroadcasting the play that was directly related in the unfortunate medical issue.

In addition, kudos to the network executives who showed the greatest respect and sensitivity to all involved by not rebroadcasting the play that was directly related in the unfortunate medical issue.

Yes, I saw some of the coverage and it was somber, and some were even a little angry that they hadn't just called the game yet. They basically said it didn't matter right now when this game gets played - there was only concern for Damar. Best wishes to him on his recovery.

100% agreed. No need to re air it over and over again.

I sort of disagree. They don't need to air the moment he collapsed over and over again, but everyone SHOULD see the hit that precipitated the cardiac arrest. This game is extremely violent, and the fact that it has been normalized this long is a problem, IMO. I can't even watch football because I do not understand how these players can want to take hits like that over and over again, and spectators get pleasure in watching it. The human body was not designed for those types of impacts.

Everyone keeps saying it was a "normal tackle" and "nothing out of the ordinary", "not even a particularly hard hit." I'm sorry, but no. This poor guy was absolutely slammed directly in the center of the chest by the other player's shoulder. It looked absolutely awful to me. The fact that people are like "oh, it wasn't even a bad tackle" just shows how brainwashed we are when it comes to this game.

There is a reason why most pro football players won't let their kids play the sport. I hope it eventually goes away completely.

I sort of disagree. They don't need to air the moment he collapsed over and over again, but everyone SHOULD see the hit that precipitated the cardiac arrest. This game is extremely violent, and the fact that it has been normalized this long is a problem, IMO. I can't even watch football because I do not understand how these players can want to take hits like that over and over again, and spectators get pleasure in watching it. The human body was not designed for those types of impacts.

Everyone keeps saying it was a "normal tackle" and "nothing out of the ordinary", "not even a particularly hard hit." I'm sorry, but no. This poor guy was absolutely slammed directly in the center of the chest by the other player's shoulder. It looked absolutely awful to me. The fact that people are like "oh, it wasn't even a bad tackle" just shows how brainwashed we are when it comes to this game.

There is a reason why most pro football players won't let their kids play the sport. I hope it eventually goes away completely.

Excellent points.

I agree that everyone should at least have the option to see the hit. I watched the play live and then looked away, I had to find it on Twitter to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I disagree with the rest of what you said. The padding worn during football is much more protective than I think you give it credit for. It was a normal football play and in 99.9999% of cases he would have jumped back up and gone on to the next play. Even in this play he jumped back up after making the tackle then collapsed.
I would like to see anything to back up your assertions that most pro football players won't let their kids play the sport. The number of players in the NFL and major college football whose father's also played in the NFL or major college football would seem to belie that statement.

Excellent points.
I agree that everyone should at least have the option to see the hit. I watched the play live and then looked away, I had to find it on Twitter to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I disagree with the rest of what you said. The padding worn during football is much more protective than I think you give it credit for. It was a normal football play and in 99.9999% of cases he would have jumped back up and gone on to the next play. Even in this play he jumped back up after making the tackle then collapsed.
I would like to see anything to back up your assertions that most pro football players won't let their kids play the sport. The number of players in the NFL and major college football whose father's also played in the NFL or major college football would seem to belie that statement.

I don't disagree that there is something to be learned from the incident but there is a time and a place for showing the hit. When the man is in the hospital in critical condition and his outcome is unknown is not the time IMO. Emotions were just too raw.

Damar Hamlin is a defensive player (safety). He wasn't slammed directly into the center of the chest by another players shoulder. HE was the one that initiated the tackle, wrapping his arms around the torso of the player with the ball, and rolling him to the ground (the tackle).

You don't have to like the sport, but please lets not twist it so it fits some illusion that it should be a banned sport.

Prayers to Damar, his family and the players.

I only hear what players say on TV on interviews and last night, I heard it said again by a former player (not sure who-- someone being interviewed on CNN or some similar channel late last night ). I hear it a lot, because my husband watches football and every time a player gets injured, it seems that is the sentiment shared. I think it's not so much players in the past, as current players now with kids. With what we now know about CTE and all that, a lot more players today don't want their own kids playing the game.

Also, padding has gotten smaller over time. This players padding doesn't look particularly protective in nature. Blunt force trauma to the chest can cause immediate cardiac arrythmia, regardless of a layer of plastic, if that hit has enough force behind it. It's basic physics. You would need something like Kevlar to prevent hits to the chest from being truly dangerous. Do these players wear Kevlar padding?

https://globalsportmatters.com/health/2018/10/29/nfl-players-moving-to-smaller-shoulder-pads/

At the end of the day, this could end up having been a one on a million freak occurrence, OR it could be a matter of inadequate protection. I'm sure there will be a full investigation as to what occurred.

Damar Hamlin is a defensive player (safety). He wasn't slammed directly into the center of the chest by another players shoulder. HE was the one that initiated the tackle, wrapping his arms around the torso of the player with the ball, and rolling him to the ground (the tackle).

You don't have to like the sport, but please lets not twist it so it fits some illusion that it should be a banned sport.

Prayers to Damar, his family and the players.

Okay, so he ran directly into a player's shoulder then. Either way, his chest took a direct hit.

A car can run into a tree, but if that car hits that tree head on, the driver is in trouble.

Okay, so he ran directly into a player's shoulder then. Either way, his chest took a direct hit.

A car can run into a tree, but if that car hits that tree head on, the driver is in trouble.

How many tackles are made in a game of football? How many teams play per week? How many games in a season? How long have teams been playing?

My point is, as tragic as THIS one is, it was a one in a million (or even more). If it was in fact because of how violent the game is, and how poor the equipment is for protection, or how ill prepared the players are (physically), then wouldn't there be a much higher rate of more serious injuries?

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack the OP and get into yet another back and forth on the DIS. Have your (general your, not directly at you) views and speculation and we'll have ours. Again, positive thoughts and prayers to Damar, his family and his teammates.

Last edited:
They showed the play and the collapse on MSNBC last night as a lead-in to their coverage of the situation, which I think was the responsible thing to do. Those of us who were watching MSNBC obviously weren't watching the game, and I think we needed to see it to understand the context. They brought in experts from both the football side and the medical side, and both sides seemed to agree that *something* needs to change--not banning football or anything crazy, but a heightened awareness of what *can* happen and working together to try to figure out how to further protect players. Just like they've done with recent concussion protocols and the like. I found it quite sensible, and I'm glad the conversation is now being had. Praying that Damar has a swift and full recovery.

I don't disagree that there is something to be learned from the incident but there is a time and a place for showing the hit. When the man is in the hospital in critical condition and his outcome is unknown is not the time IMO. Emotions were just too raw.

I agree - it can be reviewed later to determine how it contributed to the incident. There was no need to review it over and over last night though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter